Blue Apron Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Blue Apron Reviews

Updated 16 January 2019

Brad Dickerson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The team vibe is great at Blue Apron and I can't speak highly enough of my Team Lead" (in 24 reviews)

• "Free lunch, great pay, awesome employees" (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "Lunch is free but not what you would expect from a company like Blue Apron" (in 14 reviews)

• "LONG hours and poor work life balance" (in 7 reviews)

1. "Exciting unique operations - poorly managed"

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at Blue Apron full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exciting operations, tons of opportunity to improve

Cons

Hard to make improvements, misaligned agendas/priorities, too much focus on "keep the lights on". Too much corporate influence on fulfillment network decisions

2. "Great"

Pros

Awesome company to work for

Cons

none come to mind today

"Worst job I've ever had"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Blue Apron full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It took awhile, but I met some smart, awesome people. The company has good brand recognition, so people were always initially impressed to hear that In worked there.

Cons

Horrible, incompetent executive leadership (though, to their credit, positive changes in the Exec Team were made with November/December layoffs). Communication between teams is almost nonexistent. A small handful of employee darlings have their ideas heard and are seen as brilliant when they are really cut-throat and throwing colleagues under the bus at every turn. Everyone is afraid to make a mistake so blame and deflection are rampant. Morale is the worst I've ever seen in the corporate world. No one likes coming into the office, and it's obvious. Entire teams are mass-quitting and departments are being outsourced. The culture is overall toxic and no amount of free snacks or happy hours can change the negative dynamics at play.

Advice to Management

Hire more adults, and listen to ideas that come from sources other than the favored few.

"A Managerial Disaster"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Blue Apron full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The biggest has to be the great people I worked with. All were smart, personable, and driven. I had a great manager who was always supportive and willing to address issues. Some of my former co-workers are my best friends.

One of the more diverse companies I've worked for

Cons

Upper management is a mess. There's no direction, goals seemed to change every few weeks, and no one was ever on the same page. Major year long projects were canceled after completion because people forgot to determine if they would actually be profitable. It was unbelievable.

They were never truthful. Obviously we could see that the company was doing badly by looking at the collapse of the stock price and the abysmal earnings calls. The CEO always framed it as if the market wasn't seeing something and that we were actually on the path to profitablity. Obviously not, because the stock is now a penny stock and still sinking.

Morale is at rock bottom. Before and after the second round of layoffs (Nov 2018), tons of important employees left the company. Within weeks of the latest layoff, 5+ extremely important engineers left. There's no money to hire anyone and those that are experienced have either left the company or are looking. They're outsourcing to fill many of the positions, which is a red flag.

Benefits weren't good. No 401K match and ok health insurance.

Honestly would be shocked if the company is around in two years.

Advice to Management

-Be truthful. Employees can tell when you're lying
    -Do more to retain top talent. The NYC job market is hot right now and there's little reason for engineers to stay with the company

"Phenomenal people, but poor leadership"

I worked at Blue Apron full-time

Pros

I met and worked with some of the most dedicated individuals while at Blue Apron. The spirit and camaraderie made this a truly amazing experience

Cons

This is a company in serious trouble. From the top down, priorities are convoluted and change almost daily. Leadership appears to be grasping at straws to right the ship and, frankly, it isn't working. I don't believe Blue Apron is going to be around that much longer in its current form.

Advice to Management

Find a buyer.

"Bit Off More Than They Could Chew"

I worked at Blue Apron full-time

Pros

It was a fun and innovative environment with a ton of collaboration.

Cons

Sr Leadership made several poor decisions re: expansion which then blew up in their faces and caused the company to plummet.

"IT"

I worked at Blue Apron full-time

Pros

Amazing people, all very knowledgeable in their respective fields. When as a company they are wiling to work together, incredible things can be accomplished as we've proven again and again. The brand name is incredibly strong, even those who left the company on bad terms were able to advance in their field.

Cons

Lots of A-type personalities, your influence is determined by "proximity to the top" so your concerns can fall on deaf ears even if they are valid. I see this all the time. Communication is the top issue at this company, by far. But the company fails to address this weakness at every level until it's too late.

Advice to Management

Please work on communication.

"Good people, but questionable senior management and integrity."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Blue Apron full-time

Pros

The immediate people I worked with were great, including the managers. Smart, bright, helpful, pleasant to be around. The atmosphere was relaxed and generally not stressful.

Cons

Agree with the other reviews that this is a dishonest company. I felt like I was misled from the beginning, from promises in terms of what large initiatives (from an engineering standpoint) are being pursued, to compensation (If you are "lucky" enough to get offered RSUs, make sure you find out exactly how they are calculated and if there is any cap on the number of shares you receive).

They did not care well for the people they laid off, including some that worked there for 5 years (almost the entire existence of the company).

Senior management seemed inexperienced and unfocused on both the engineering side as well as the business side. There were meetings that appeared to be an attempt for transparency, but that turned out to be false sense of transparency in the end.

CEO showed lack of caring when there was a large outflux of good talent. Something along the lines of this not being for everyone, and that is okay.

Advice to Management

Be honest with your employees. Come up with a plan and stay focused. Being agile is important, but it is not a free license to run around like a headless chicken until you find something that sticks. People want to believe in the company, but they lose confidence when they see this. So many good people left while I was there. It is tough to keep talent in that environment.

"Falling company"

Pros

Good pay nice workers good quality food

Cons

No longevity no retirement plans

Advice to Management

Do better

10. "FSQA"

I have been working at Blue Apron full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of room for growth and training

Cons

Like many startups, it can be chaotic at times