Booking.com Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Gillian Tans

1,844 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Some team leaders under investigation for sexual harassment" (in 94 reviews)

• "Lack of flexibility, and work life balance" (in 32 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"great benefits"

Current Employee - Accommodation Service Executive in London, England
    Current Employee - Accommodation Service Executive in London, England

I have been working at Booking.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free meals on duty, good premium pay if you work on weekends and on late shifts, parties every month, friendly and multicultural environment

Cons

slow career progression as in all big companies

2. "Good"

Pros

Everything it’s ok happy times

Cons

Nothing everything ok happy to work in that place

Advice to Management

Take care about the people is important in my perspective

"Should be looked into"

Current Employee - Quality Executive in London, England
    Current Employee - Quality Executive in London, England

I have been working at Booking.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent Benefits, free lunch, great people, friendly approach.

The quality role gives you an opportunity to coach others, getting to know several different people and growing your experience whilst doing so. The role gives a good level of autonomy when managing workload.

You get the opportunity to join and manage different projects towards your own and your colleagues development.

It's a fair place to be working in for some time

Cons

The job itself changed dramatically within the last year, being now focused on evaluating hundreds of calls every month, in which recurring issues are rarely addressed when solicited.

Quality Executive performance is measured in a (quote) "Holistic" way, there is little to no objectiveness as to what is not meeting, meeting or exceeding expectations.

The sickness policy of the company can have you receive a verbal warning for feeling ill as little as three separate days within a 12 months rolling period. Lateness is also counted towards sickness instances, needless to say these have nothing to do with each other. Discretion of the Team Leader applies when interpreting this policy, resulting in some employees being held up to completely different standards than others.

Whilst Customer Service Agents are micro-managed to a ridiculous extent, management has little to no control whatsoever.
    I have been working to support different team leaders in different teams. I have seen very significant cases of management not acting in a professional manner and reported some, nothing tangible has ever been done. On the contrary, on a couple of cases promotions were given within a month of reporting.

Almost all internal positions given within the last 12 month have been temporary roles. Those who apply for positions have to go though extensive interview and preparations processes, for positions on contracts that last at times three months. When approaching the end of the contractual period, the employee is told if they will be getting an extension or be returned to their old role. Thanks to this process the company can save an amount in pay, and keep all temporary employees on edge, having them fear for their future and work twice as hard.

Advice to Management

Whilst "Small minded" staff are being blamed for the negative reviews on the site. I personally think after several years in the office, management needs to get out of their walled garden and understand there are some serious issues with lack of professionalism, candidate selection and management supervision within the site.

4. "General"

I worked at Booking.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has a great culture, and is always looking for innovation and growing in different markets and products.

Cons

The salaries could be below the market in some departments, and the opportunities outside their HQs are quite limited.

5. "Fun and challenging place to work"

Former Employee - Software Architect in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Software Architect in Manchester, England

I worked at Booking.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

High tech, good people and a good work life balance

Cons

PHP and the thumbprint scanners

6. "T&Q"

Former Employee - Quality Control in London, England
    Former Employee - Quality Control in London, England

I worked at Booking.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

International and young environment, great coworkers

Cons

Holiday scheme, working on bank holidays

"London office needs to change"

Former Employee - Guest Specialist in London, England
    Former Employee - Guest Specialist in London, England

I worked at Booking.com part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Multi-cultural environment and friendly atmosphere
    Also, a very LGBT friendly environment (which you do not see in many offices)
    Free lunches (although very unhealthy) and coffee and fruit
    Regular work events

Cons

When I first joined in 2016 the office was smaller, I received a decent training and felt as if I was a part of a team. There was always pressure and strict lateness/sickness policy - but manageable as the team huddles and other outings partially made up for it. Last two years the office has steadily become worse, to the present time where (I hear from former colleagues) the work environment has become unbearable. Many of the team leaders are not qualified, I have heard several of the male team leaders talk inappropriately about people in the office and even one of them describing having sex with an agent. This was 1.5 year ago, some of the misconducts I have heard about while being away are just utterly shocking. Being promoted is all about networking (did not use to be) and same people get ignored time after time. The TL (especially externally hired) have close to no knowledge of what their agents jobs are and they also do not care. It is all about how long you keep your customers on hold or how many you manage to get through in an hour, encouraging copy/paste replies and sloppy efforts when there are complaints. If you are hired for a smaller language you can be forced to work on the English line, even when your language has a caseload for you to work on. Explanation being, demand on english line defeats enquires in your language? This is clearly poor management as then recruitment will constantly encourages you to refer more people to your line due to demand. So happy I never have to step a foot in that office again, what a depressing dump.

Advice to Management

Read these reviews on Glassdoor, and do something about it. Have someone come in anonymously and closely monitor the management at London office.

"Quantity Over Quality"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England

I worked at Booking.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice friendly people, free lunch every day, swap shifts and 25 plus holiday days, benefits of money off hotels.

Cons

A mixture of email and phone work, helping with customers issues after booking. Very target driven for customer service satisfaction and quantity. As time went on, it was clear that the less time you spend with the customer had more relevance than actually really resolving their issue, sadly this wasn't for me.

Advice to Management

Less pressure on people to be constantly hitting targets all the time. To have made the working surroundings more pleasurable, as some days I really dreaded coming in to what turned put to be a very unhealthy, toxic and unpleasant environment to work. If you can put up with the daily pressures of meeting targets, go for it, if not I wouldn't recommend applying.

"Not bad"

I have been working at Booking.com full-time

Pros

Good benefits and nice culture

Cons

Lack of local career opportunities

"Totally avoid! No work ethic at all! People are treated very bad by management"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Cambridge, East of England, England

I worked at Booking.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They do have some benefits like free lunch , pension scheme etc.

Cons

No career progression at all

Unfairness

Nobody cares about people, just about statistics

Showing 1,844 of 1,920 reviews