Costello Medical Reviews

Updated Jul 14, 2021

Found 27 of over 30 reviews

3.8
Costello Medical Director & CEO Sophie Costello (no image)
Sophie Costello
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to work!

Mar 25, 2021 - Personal Assistant in Cambridge, East of England, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Caring company culture, training and career progression opportunities, excellent benefits

Cons

Salaries might not be the most competitive for all sectors, but other benefits more than make up for this

HR Manager

Thank you for your review of your experience at the company so far! Your 5-star review means a lot to all of us here at the company.

2. 3.0
    Current Employee

Working at Costello Medical

Jul 14, 2021 - Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

Variety of work and nice people

Cons

Low salary and not much autonomy over work

1 person found this review helpful

HR Manager

Hello, thanks for your review. Great that you are enjoying working with your fantastic colleagues and the work you are doing. We are confident that as your experience grows at the company you find your autonomy increases too. We look forward to supporting your career in this way.

3. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Lacking diverse and inclusive culture

Mar 31, 2021 - Analyst in Cambridge, East of England, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

"Good for CV", varied project work, and big clients

Cons

Unless you fit the Costello mould (middle class Oxbridge graduate, signs off internal emails with "Best wishes") , you will struggle to fit in and enjoy working at Costello. Although the company has a great external reputation, I suspect that the Best Companies awards which the company has received for a number of years is not truly deserved - I rated the company really highly on this survey only so that it would look good for my future employers, not because I actually enjoyed working there. I know that many of my colleagues did the same thing. The company culture feels horribly insincere. As for salary (a faux pas topic of discussion in the company), I was unhappy with my reward package given that I worked very hard. As an analyst you can expect to be taken advantage of. Analysts receive very, very little reward for their hard work (ie no bonus) - they only get an occasional (50-100 GBP) gift voucher despite doing most of the work. Salary progression is also not great. Analyst starting salary is 30,000 and it increases by roughly 1,000 each year (no bonus). Senior analyst salary is 38,000 and you can get up to two bonuses each year (roughly 3,000 each). Consultant salary is 45,000 and, although I do not know the size of the consultant bonus, I assume it is also two bonuses annually of at least 3,000. Finally, regarding the senior management team, this team are all members of staff who are very friendly with one another as they have built the company together. Although I admire how much they have grown the company, because they are such a tight-knit management team, they do talk behind everyone's back - this potentially intensifies the uncomfortable culture of insincerity.

15 people found this review helpful

HR Manager

Thank you for your review, though naturally we are disappointed to read about your less than positive experience at the company. Particularly saddening are your comments about individuals struggling to fit in. We have a strong company culture and ethos which is supportive, friendly, and hardworking, and we strive to ensure that it is inclusive of all staff who chose to work for us. Our Equality and Inclusion Taskforce, made up of colleagues from all areas and levels of our company, is evidence of our commitment to this. In terms of our reputation as a good place to work, every year we run an internal, anonymous company survey the sole purpose of which is to help us understand how we can continue to improve as a workplace and the results we see here are aligned with the Best Companies award. Your review is recent; however, you are not aware of the changes that we have made to rewards during the past 12 months, the most recent coming into effect at the start of April this year. The starting salary for Analysts/Medical Writers, Health Economists and Statisticians is now £33,000, increasing to £34,000 after the 6-month probation period, which we know to be competitive for our field. All current employees in these roles have had their salaries uplifted to reflect their experience level. The Senior Analyst and Consultant salaries have also been increased to offer a higher level of reward, reflective of the company’s continued success and the contributions that our colleagues have made to this. We feel it is important to point out that your assumptions around bonuses are incorrect.

4. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Vibrant company, nice colleagues

Mar 14, 2021 - Senior Health Economist in Cambridge, East of England, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice colleagues, company management open to new initiatives

Cons

Difficult to progress unless you conform to style/personality/value of senior leadership team (at least used to be) Long working hours at times and high pressure environment

HR Manager

Thank you for contributing 5 years to the success of Costello Medical! Our senior management team is expanding all the time, and thanks to the company’s growth, we have been able to create new roles and opportunities and we have a wide range of colleagues with different experience and backgrounds now contributing to our management team. Our internal promotion process is designed to assess competencies and skills in a fair and consistent manner, and we constantly review this process to ensure that it is doing so. We are pleased you enjoyed being a part of the Costello Medical team and wish you success in your new role.

5. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Nice place to work for most people but salaries could be better

Nov 25, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good work-life balance (most of the time) Opportunities to work on interesting and rewarding projects Friendly colleagues Nice environment to work in Some great managers that help you broaden your skill set and experiences

Cons

Some teams work long hours Some managers' behaviour amounts to bullying Career progression can be slow, depending on the company's resources/needs Salaries are relatively low

HR Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write a review; we are pleased to learn that you enjoyed working on rewarding projects and with your colleagues/managers, amongst other factors. We are however saddened and surprised to read that you felt as though the behaviour of some managers amounted to bullying; we also regret that you did not raise this with us during your employment or during your exit interview. We have had no reports of bullying in the past and would take any allegations of this very seriously; we are particularly proud of the supportive, friendly and collaborative working environment we have at Costello Medical. Please note that career progression is not dependent on the company’s resources or needs. For both internal promotion rounds, held in April and October of every year, there is no set quota for the number of roles available. Therefore, individuals are promoted to more senior roles once they have demonstrated their capability for the role and following a successful interview. This is an approach we remain passionate about and is aligned with our key value of Talent and Opportunity. We have also recently conducted a remuneration review for all senior roles at the company which has seen increases to salaries effective from October 2020, and the continuous review of our rewards package remains one of our highest priorities.

6. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good support for consulting but still a lot of pressure

Jan 4, 2021 - Project Assistant in Cambridge, East of England, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good and supportive people for the most part

Cons

You're expected to do more than you're paid for sometimes

Be the first to find this review helpful

HR Manager

Our colleagues do work additional hours as needed to meet project delivery and to provide the outstanding levels of customer service that our clients value us for. However, our planning methods and other management structures are designed to ensure that this isn’t required constantly and that colleagues can have a sustainable workload. Thanks for taking the time to leave your review, and we wish you success in your new role.

7. 4.0
    Current Employee

Nice company, but lower salaries

Aug 19, 2020 - Consultant in Cambridge, East of England, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fun and dynamic teams, minimal politics, flexible working, interesting projects, rapid progression

Cons

Salaries are much lower for senior roles than in other companies. For the most part this is offset by a positive working environment and a nice company culture, but there are periods of high-stress and pressure where higher remuneration would be appreciated.

HR Manager

We are pleased to read about your positive experience of working at Costello Medical; indeed, flexible working remains a focus for us following COVID-19 and we hope you will enjoy the opportunity for increased flexibility and home-working as part of our upcoming pilot. In October 2020 we were pleased to increase the salaries for all senior roles at the company, in addition to providing generous bonuses. We hope that this has mitigated your concerns therefore around remuneration for senior-level roles. Please rest assured that one of our highest priorities remains the continuous review of our benefits package and we would welcome any further feedback from you here. We would also like to thank you for your commitment this year; we recognise that there have been periods where colleagues have been required to work additional hours, particularly around project deadlines and during busier periods, however we hope that the actions we are taking will support you in both having a good work-life balance and feeling appropriately rewarded. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Please do let us know should you have any further feedback.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

The pride and focus this company place on their company culture makes it a hugely enjoyable place to work!

Jun 22, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

There is a huge focus on company culture which makes it a great place to work - things like wellbeing and training and placed as a priority and this helps to make everyone feel valued. The training, both internal and external is second to none and helps to keep everyone feeling motivated and keeps us growing. The expansion of the company - both globally and in terms of service offerings - is also really excited and offers a lot of opportunities.

Cons

Salaries are lower than at other companies, however I feel the benefits of working here far outweigh this.

1 person found this review helpful
  9. 3.0
    Former Employee

CM

Sep 13, 2020 - Analytic Consultancy
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great training, progression, supportive company

Cons

Exposure to project strategy is limited at early stages, long hours

3 people found this review helpful

HR Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It seems that you valued a number of the benefits of working at Costello Medical. We are aware that colleagues can work additional hours, particularly around project deadlines and during busier periods. We strive to ensure that this isn’t the norm and that on the whole colleagues enjoy a positive work-life balance. We are sorry that you felt the exposure to project strategy was limited at the early stages, however we hope that you gained increased exposure over time. We aim to provide all colleagues with opportunities for fast progression and extensive internal training, and we would encourage all colleagues to seek out opportunities themselves as well, such as by speaking to project managers about the project strategy.

10. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great place to work with occasional growing pains

Jul 9, 2019 - Publications Manager in Cambridge, East of England, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

A really dynamic, fun and friendly atmosphere If you are talented progression is rapid Work is interesting and there is a lot of long term collaboration with established pharma clients Although work is often high pressure, there is usually a sufficient amount of support available to challenge but not overwhelm employees Regular company surveys provide opportunities to feed back to senior staff

Cons

Fast growth means processes sometimes struggle to keep up Salary slightly below industry standard Experience can be quite dependent on the quality of line management

Be the first to find this review helpful

HR Manager

Thanks for posting your review and for your considered list of what you enjoy and where you think we could improve. The cons you mention are all things that we hope we can continue to address. Learning from past experiences and moving the company forward is aligned with our ethos and so your advice chimes well with this. We hope you will continue to be a part of these efforts.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 27 Reviews