Dyson Design Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

2.4
Dyson CEO Jim Rowan
Jim Rowan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good working environment and good benefits" (in 23 reviews)

• "Work life balance is great, very results driven" (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "Some senior management are good engineers but poor people managers" (in 22 reviews)

• "A lot of middle management screams of being promoted out of "last man standing"attitude as well as speed of growth" (in 14 reviews)

1. "Hard work, but worth it!"

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is a great community atmosphere in the office and the resources to design and build on ideas is incredible. Very few negative people, it's a very positive atmosphere. No engineering dinosaurs!

Cons

The bar is high and the work is hard, deadlines are very fast. Can also be frustrating at times with projects that don't come through, but you're always learning!

Advice to Management

Engage more and better define career opportunities to help retain young workforce.

"Hilarious "investment" in people"

Current Employee - Advanced Design Engineer in Malmesbury, England
    Current Employee - Advanced Design Engineer in Malmesbury, England

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No bad spaces (when they're are built)

Cons

The new CEO has been banging on about investment in people ever since he took office, emailed earlier in the year about how the low salaries at Dyson would be market adjusted. Hilariously he announced that market adjustment yesterday (be reading off a boring script - Cheers Jim, really showing that passion) and it means 600 (about 5%) people have had a tiny adjustment. These people are probably all the dinosaurs who run the engineering teams, being promoted over purely time served and being horrible people managers so everybody leaves below them. Overall so disappointing to see!

Seriously everybody is leaving here due to low salary and bad people management. If you're a young engineer then don't believe the hype join somewhere where you will be allowed to progress.

Advice to Management

Seriously look after your young engineers, everybody knows how under paid we are and most of us are looking at moving on. Get rid of the middle management who are there on time served and let some of the young talent shine before you lose them all.

Actually follow through on your promises and invest in people.

"Great for your CV, terrible for everything else"

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Looks good on your CV when you inevitably get sick of it and look elsewhere

Cons

Managers actively try to restrict you from progressing up through the company.
    If you shout about doing work rather than doing it you're promoted.
    Pay is completely random, people that are promoted are still paid less than people at lower levels, although this isn't acknowledged by managers.

Advice to Management

Recognise good work and promote good people, otherwise people are going to keep leaving.
    Pay people according to their level/experience and not randomly.
    Sack the dinosaur middle managers that are driving the talent out of the company.

"Underpaid & stalled progression"

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Malmesbury, England

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Young environment, opportunity to travel.

Cons

Pay and promotion structure. Commute.

5. "Great work environment"

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging work, dynamic and young environment. Recently started agile working.

Cons

High pressure, very stressful at times, male dominated environment, undemocratic decision-making, a bit chaotic at times.

Advice to Management

Better organisation, make people feel valued.

"4 years as a design engineer"

Current Employee - Design Engineer Advanced in Malmesbury, England
    Current Employee - Design Engineer Advanced in Malmesbury, England

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed, able to explore within my role and dictate my work load/direction. Working on new and exciting products. Able to present to top level.

Cons

Unstructured, little process, inconsistent, lots of fire fighting, short term fixes over long term solutions, communication difficulties between different R&D areas

Advice to Management

Spend more time thinking, planning, resourcing and setting things up. It’s quicker and better in the long run. Just parching things up and hoping they’ll be ok for now is never a very good solution for long.

"Design Engineer"

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Malmesbury, England

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work / life balance + future prospects look very good with company expanding so fast.

Cons

Pay should be more, can be inefficient / poor management alot of the time due to such high paced expansion.

Advice to Management

Pay employees more to prevent good people leaving to higher paid jobs from your competitors.

"Such a shame"

Former Employee - Design Engineer in Malmesbury, England
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in Malmesbury, England

I worked at Dyson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some interesting projects, reasonable salary (nothing spectacular) and great colleagues in general. A young crowd that are sociable and fun to work with.

Cons

No visible career path. I didn't get on with the manager of our team. In fact no one in the whole team enjoyed working for this manager. Despite much feedback HR made no effort to improve the situation. Such a shame as this lead to the majority of the team I was in to either leave the company or leave this team, despite the manager's best efforts to block any moves. The company protects inexperienced middle management far too much, leading to high staff turnover and very dissatisfied staff moving on to other companies.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees' feedback more. Provide better training for managers, particularly new or inexperienced ones. Map out career paths and help people achieve rather than holding them back.

9. "My experience working at Dyson"

Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Malmesbury, England

Pros

Excellent facilities, good career progression, highly skilled staff, good opportunities, excellent company perception by other employers, friendly colleagues, forward thinking.

Cons

Beurocracy, time wasting, too many meetings / presentations, stressful (tight deadlines and not enough staff), location of office is in the middle of nowhere

Advice to Management

Consider the purpose of meetings, and if they aren't strictly necessary, don't hold them! If we want to move quickly, we need to remove barriers to progress.

Dyson Response

23 Feb 2017 – Talent Engagement Specialist

Hi, thank you for leaving such balanced feedback. It's great to read the positive comments around career progression, facilities and the facilities we have here. Reading both pros and cons are... More

"Worst management I have ever seen"

Current Employee - NPI Design Engineer in Malmesbury, England
    Current Employee - NPI Design Engineer in Malmesbury, England

I have been working at Dyson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company has a very positive brand in consumer electronics, try to establish interesting new projects. Great work-life balance, beautiful offices, nicely growing company.

Cons

In general:
    Dyson products were always protected against competitors by patents, so nobody in this company really knows what is a real competition on the market. This is why everybody at the company is so slow, calm, doesn't really interested in the work he is doing. I only can see obsession with technology on the marketing stuffs (or at competitors). Basically they are manufacturing the same vacuum cleaners for 25 years, no real improvements, only marketing, patents and recoloring the vacuums every year. This mentality will not work in the new categories.

By points:
    - Extremely inefficient way of working.
    - No clear career path. You will have no chance as managers doesnt care about you. If you want a career, find a job at other company instead, this is the easiest way.
    - Low salaries.
    - No processes. They desperately tries to solve this, but I have a feeling that they are doing it without any experience (reason: either young employees or high level leaders without any industry experience).
    - Many Dyson staff thinks industry standards are the Satan.
    - Sometimes we are reinventing the wheel.
    - Very slow IT infrastructure.
    - Sometimes I feel, that only inexperienced engineers can be managers at Dyson. Only a few are exception.
    - Not clear weather we design things for James Dyson or for people. No problem with it, but cant see how it will make profit for the company or for James.
    - Sometimes no science behind decisions, only ego.
    - Desperately tries to be a technology company, but it is more like a concept design office.
    - Badly established management who has no real plan for the project, only ad-hoc daily to-dos.
    - Layout in the cafe is totally crazy, sometimes I have to stand in the queue for 15-20 minutes, only two cashiers for hundreds of employees (not a good design for a design company).
    - No free snacks.
    - Cafe opening time until 16:30, but staff close tills at 16:15. How it can happen?
    - Middle of nowhere.
    - Very young and inexperienced staff .
    - HR doesn't really care about feedback.
    - Nobody really cares about feedback.
    - Nobody really cares about anything.

Summary:
    - This company is a very disappointing for me.
    - Doesn't Recommend

Advice to Management

The competition on the market is a serious thing, nobody will buy a badly designed product with no concept behind. Try to recruit experts from the industry no matter how much does it cost, or the company will struggle.

Solve the problems above. You can do it!

PS:
    Cafe should close at the end of opening times. Seriously, this is destroying the moral!