Dyson Design Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Dyson CEO Jim Rowan
Jim Rowan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Senior Management need to listen to their teams and do something about it (in 19 reviews)

• Middle management not the most competent- many "years of service" style promotions (in 14 reviews)

1. "Hard work, but worth it!"

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is a great community atmosphere in the office and the resources to design and build on ideas is incredible. Very few negative people, it's a very positive atmosphere. No engineering dinosaurs!

Cons

The bar is high and the work is hard, deadlines are very fast. Can also be frustrating at times with projects that don't come through, but you're always learning!

Advice to Management

Engage more and better define career opportunities to help retain young workforce.

2. "Great work environment"

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging work, dynamic and young environment. Recently started agile working.

Cons

High pressure, very stressful at times, male dominated environment, undemocratic decision-making, a bit chaotic at times.

Advice to Management

Better organisation, make people feel valued.

"4 years as a design engineer"

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed, able to explore within my role and dictate my work load/direction. Working on new and exciting products. Able to present to top level.

Cons

Unstructured, little process, inconsistent, lots of fire fighting, short term fixes over long term solutions, communication difficulties between different R&D areas

Advice to Management

Spend more time thinking, planning, resourcing and setting things up. It’s quicker and better in the long run. Just parching things up and hoping they’ll be ok for now is never a very good solution for long.

"Design Engineer"

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Malmesbury, England

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work / life balance + future prospects look very good with company expanding so fast.

Cons

Pay should be more, can be inefficient / poor management alot of the time due to such high paced expansion.

Advice to Management

Pay employees more to prevent good people leaving to higher paid jobs from your competitors.

"Such a shame"

Former Employee - Design Engineer in Malmesbury, England
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in Malmesbury, England

I worked at Dyson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some interesting projects, reasonable salary (nothing spectacular) and great colleagues in general. A young crowd that are sociable and fun to work with.

Cons

No visible career path. I didn't get on with the manager of our team. In fact no one in the whole team enjoyed working for this manager. Despite much feedback HR made no effort to improve the situation. Such a shame as this lead to the majority of the team I was in to either leave the company or leave this team, despite the manager's best efforts to block any moves. The company protects inexperienced middle management far too much, leading to high staff turnover and very dissatisfied staff moving on to other companies.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees' feedback more. Provide better training for managers, particularly new or inexperienced ones. Map out career paths and help people achieve rather than holding them back.

7. "My experience working at Dyson"

Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Malmesbury, England

Pros

Excellent facilities, good career progression, highly skilled staff, good opportunities, excellent company perception by other employers, friendly colleagues, forward thinking.

Cons

Beurocracy, time wasting, too many meetings / presentations, stressful (tight deadlines and not enough staff), location of office is in the middle of nowhere

Advice to Management

Consider the purpose of meetings, and if they aren't strictly necessary, don't hold them! If we want to move quickly, we need to remove barriers to progress.

23 Feb 2017 – Talent Engagement Specialist

Hi, thank you for leaving such balanced feedback. It's great to read the positive comments around career progression, facilities and the facilities we have here. Reading both pros and cons are... More

"Worst management I have ever seen"

Current Employee - NPI Design Engineer in Malmesbury, England
    Current Employee - NPI Design Engineer in Malmesbury, England

I have been working at Dyson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company has a very positive brand in consumer electronics, try to establish interesting new projects. Great work-life balance, beautiful offices, nicely growing company.

Cons

In general:
    Dyson products were always protected against competitors by patents, so nobody in this company really knows what is a real competition on the market. This is why everybody at the company is so slow, calm, doesn't really interested in the work he is doing. I only can see obsession with technology on the marketing stuffs (or at competitors). Basically they are manufacturing the same vacuum cleaners for 25 years, no real improvements, only marketing, patents and recoloring the vacuums every year. This mentality will not work in the new categories.

By points:
    - Extremely inefficient way of working.
    - No clear career path. You will have no chance as managers doesnt care about you. If you want a career, find a job at other company instead, this is the easiest way.
    - Low salaries.
    - No processes. They desperately tries to solve this, but I have a feeling that they are doing it without any experience (reason: either young employees or high level leaders without any industry experience).
    - Many Dyson staff thinks industry standards are the Satan.
    - Sometimes we are reinventing the wheel.
    - Very slow IT infrastructure.
    - Sometimes I feel, that only inexperienced engineers can be managers at Dyson. Only a few are exception.
    - Not clear weather we design things for James Dyson or for people. No problem with it, but cant see how it will make profit for the company or for James.
    - Sometimes no science behind decisions, only ego.
    - Desperately tries to be a technology company, but it is more like a concept design office.
    - Badly established management who has no real plan for the project, only ad-hoc daily to-dos.
    - Layout in the cafe is totally crazy, sometimes I have to stand in the queue for 15-20 minutes, only two cashiers for hundreds of employees (not a good design for a design company).
    - No free snacks.
    - Cafe opening time until 16:30, but staff close tills at 16:15. How it can happen?
    - Middle of nowhere.
    - Very young and inexperienced staff .
    - HR doesn't really care about feedback.
    - Nobody really cares about feedback.
    - Nobody really cares about anything.

Summary:
    - This company is a very disappointing for me.
    - Doesn't Recommend

Advice to Management

The competition on the market is a serious thing, nobody will buy a badly designed product with no concept behind. Try to recruit experts from the industry no matter how much does it cost, or the company will struggle.

Solve the problems above. You can do it!

PS:
    Cafe should close at the end of opening times. Seriously, this is destroying the moral!

9. "Always Opportunities for the Motivated"

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Inspiring work colleagues, lots of opportunities, fast growing company that has a fantastic culture and a pipeline of technology that should sustain this success well into the future.

Cons

Some senior management are good engineers but poor people managers. It can be a bit of a lottery when you are hired as to which team you end up in. The internal movement process could be a lot easier.

23 Feb 2017 – Talent Engagement Specialist

Hi thanks for writing a review. It's great to hear the positive points you make around the culture and pipeline of technology. We'll take all feedback on board regarding managers and ensure your... More

10. "Very relaxed place to work"

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Malmesbury, England

I have been working at Dyson full-time

Pros

Relaxed, friendly, chiiled, no probelms with budget

Cons

Average wage, sometimes lack cohesion, can get tedious working on the same part

Advice to Management

Do more to keep team spirit high

11. "Great place for the right person"

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun atmosphere, very young, ever changing and growing, fun products, all the toys

Cons

Ever changing project priorities can be frustrating! Very young.

Advice to Management

Stand by your choices and stop changing everything around as it is very demotivating! To

27 Jul 2016 – Talent Engagement Specialist

Hi, thanks for leaving a review. It's good to read about your positive comments regarding the atmosphere at the headquarters and the interesting products. You're right, we are ever changing... More