Dyson Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Dyson CEO Jim Rowan
Jim Rowan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Some senior management are good engineers but poor people managers (in 19 reviews)

• A lot of middle management screams of being promoted out of "last man standing"attitude as well as speed of growth (in 14 reviews)

1. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - IT Service Desk Analyst in Malmesbury, England
    Current Employee - IT Service Desk Analyst in Malmesbury, England

I have been working at Dyson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good atmosphere, high tech company.

Cons

Too much pressure, not the best management

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees more often

2. "Staff Discount"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malmesbury, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malmesbury, England

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Used to have a good staff discount...

Cons

They took it away... Cheers Dyson!

3. "Amazing brand, great experience - if you can make the location work!"

I worked at Dyson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing brand, great experience - if you can make the location work!

Cons

It's huge so it's easy to get lost if you land into the wrong team...

4. "Could be worse, could be much better"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Malmesbury, England
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Malmesbury, England

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good staff discount, great people to work with, monthly one to one's with management, bonus scheme, fairly good pay

Cons

Favouritism, no reward for going above and beyond, no room for progression within current team, unfair bonus rules meaning other departments receive a full bonus ours was halved although we are not sales targeted, not enough parking for staff.

Advice to Management

Let people progress, reward those who go above and beyond, consider pay rises based on performance, management need to be fair and stop playing favourites.

"Fast moving - challenging - underdog"

Current Employee - Commercial Manager in Malmesbury, England
    Current Employee - Commercial Manager in Malmesbury, England

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cash rich company that invests in developing young people. James Dyson turns up to work every day and still steers the direction of the company

Cons

There are a high number of teams run by middle managers operating in silos. It makes for weird politics and unaligned decision making. The high numbers of imported ‘talent’ from agencies and beauty brands often means you get people who don’t buy into the companies brand success and simply moan about how things are, rather contributing. The company is biased towards growing talent, it has an accelerated programme for people with less than 7 years experience who are prepared to work anywhere in the world...great if you fit this criterion...HR, Performance Management and Recruitment is a Joke (left over from Max Coonze days)...Thankfully Jim is fixing it

Advice to Management

Implement some Quality Standards, attach levels of competence to roles, implement a team review and self-assessment framework that replaces “Talking Performance” with Weekly Action Plans. Remove all Project Managers who do have a project management certification. Formalise Risk Management...Build more parking places...Get rid of the SAP Finance system and start again...We can programme an autonomous robot with a vision navigation...so should be able to run a finance system that serves teams rather than creates and blocks work.

"Slick on the outside, chaos on the inside"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Malmesbury, England
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Malmesbury, England

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Cutting edge, fast moving, such a mess but this gives many opportunities, household name, great canteen

Cons

Pathetic pay rises given enormous profits, little recognition for hard work, no performance related payrises. Too much 'dead wood' in bloated, inefficient workforce.

"Don't destroy your dreams"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malmesbury, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malmesbury, England

I worked at Dyson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The canteen does some okay meals, and a lot of the staff are great people. Also free time, while waiting for James to ignore anyone elses contribution and for management to make a decision, nervously panicking, and deciding to wait for James to tell them what to do.

Cons

-James Dyson is a control freak that micromanages the brand. Do you want to use your imagination and intelligence to create products or solutions? Then join a different company, as James does not want your ideas, he wants your time, to create his.

-The management are lifers!! This brand has an awful processes that bottlenecks with one man, meaning good designers and engineers with ambition leave. If you stay too long you won't be able to function in the real industry. So the best leave and the ambition lacking get promoted early, accepting they are there for life and that the slow, bottleneck approach is good. This in turn means they will not understand why so many people are upset with the process. Also, not much point complaining as they know that all issues start and finish with James dyson, and he won't change.

-This is a company that has got lucky a lot. They take young grad's not because the want youth, energy and imagination, but because they don't know the right way to do things, so they accept the dyson way with no questions. In this though they will ruin your chance at a future outside dyson.

Advice to Management

Challenge the boss or quit, because your weak approach hurts everyone.

"If your role involves software engineering / data science, don't work here"

Current Employee - Machine Learning in Malmesbury, England
    Current Employee - Machine Learning in Malmesbury, England

I have been working at Dyson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible working

They pay over the odds for the low skill tasks you end up doing.

I think that if you are an engineer (non-software), this can be a good place to work, but Dyson is abysmal at anything software related.

Cons

IT is terrible - it took them 5 months to provide me with a server for a large data science project. And then they tried to take it away 3 weeks later. You also don't have admin access on your laptop, so if you need to install something like python, you'll have to wait weeks.

Dyson is very much a windows-based company. If you want to use UNIX you really have to push and there will be little if any support.

As far as I can tell, managers do not take their role seriously. My manager only did task management, no feedback or identification of training opportunities. I did not even receive probationary period feedback (just "it's a pass"). There are no HR processes in place to ensure that managers take their role seriously, and there is very little recourse if your manager was not behaving appropriately (Mine was dismissive, constantly talked over me and ignored my opinions. I spoke to HR repeatedly over a period of 6 months, and they did nothing. My manager and HR's reactions were the main reason I chose to leave.) Dyson is the kind of place where, if you have a good manager it can be a great place to work, but if you don't then you're completely stuck and powerless.

If you work in research (RDD), you will be working in a cold double-height warehouse building. With building work going on. I started coming to work wearing thermal layers to take the edge off.

Parking is absolutely terrible - get here after 8 and you likely won't find a space.

Dyson has such a competitive and blame culture. All of the more senior managers openly hate each other, and don't play well with others. Most business decisions seem to be made for political reasons (i.e. to show others up) as opposed to sensible reasons.

Advice to Management

Support employees who have poor managers, and actually help them through it. People don't leave companies - they leave managers. I'd say that management at Dyson is a bit of a joke. If you are going to promote people who 'don't play well with others' to management positions, you need to have HR processes in place to make sure that the employee is properly managed and protected.

Don't cancel employee exit interviews because they've filled in a short survey and it is 'no longer necessary'.

You have to fix the IT department. I used to work for the civil service, and thought their IT was bad. This is on a whole other level.

"People at the centre... Apparently"

Current Employee - Advanced Design Engineer in Malmesbury, England
    Current Employee - Advanced Design Engineer in Malmesbury, England

I have been working at Dyson (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people
    Some good office space (some terrible office space as well)
    Alright food on campus
    Sport facilities on campus

Cons

We're wasting billions trying to build an electric car
    Pay is low
    HR department or anything to do with people is awful. Not in anyway transparent as they want to get away with everything they can. They have done a terrible job especially in the last 1-2 year's -need serious change!
    CEO has just changed and the message to everyone stayed exactly the same (people are at the centre of everything we do - we've said that for 5 years and it's less true today than it was then)
    In Engineering there are the old guard who have never worked at another company running everything. Very hard to break through, low pay because most of these managers are not ambitious and are happy on their nothing salaries. As we rarely bring anybody in with any experience it doesn't challenge them and we don't need to spend money on talent just hire 1000 grads and wait for the majority to quit. (in commercial they have hired lots of talent which means the salaries have been driven up)
    Business decision get made for unexplained reasons and years of people's work get thrown away. This is happening more and more as there is little cash to spend as we waste it all on a car.
    Profit is sky high and we get a measly bonus of 6% (you can get 6.5% if you work really hard!!!!!!)
    Everybody held back by old processes
    It's in the middle of nowhere
    Traffic is terrible
    Parking is terrible

Advice to Management

Shake up engineering as it has become stale
    Buy in some top talent
    Actually make true on your promise and invest in people
    Stop wasting money on stupid projects
    Pay engineers more
    Do something with HR

10. "Product validation engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chippenham, South West England, England

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good place to work, great attitude

Cons

Remote area, area is not very good for living