Google - Nice place to be | Glassdoor.co.uk

"Nice place to be"

I worked at Google full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great work life balance. Very good benefits, most folks are nice. There are people who pay attention to the small details.

Cons

Some people have gotten to expect the benefits they receive, making them quite unpleasant to work with.

Advice to Management

Please fix the culture, people are becoming more and more entitled, and less and less willing to work.

Other Employee Reviews for Google

"A bit overrated and very corporate/political"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Google full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The obvious flashy perks are nice, but they're pretty standard at most tech companies these days. There are a lot of structured learning opportunities and a diversity of roles that you can transfer to. The people are generally friendly and very smart.

Cons

Tends to be very political and many are not keen to help you unless it benefits them personally (i.e. performance reviews). Perks are nice, but I'd give them up for better basics - health, pension, etc.

Work flexibility is a farce - at least in my office/team - and there are a lot of barriers to even getting an afternoon approved to work from home, much less multiple days. To me this illustrates a lack of trust in their employees.

I don't know -- I've been generally unhappy since I've joined due to lowered work/life balance, lack of flexibility (so much for those extra vacation days), lack of colleagues' willingness to help with questions/projects, poorer basic benefits, etc.... but I've been compelled to stay since "it's Google" and to give it a fair chance.

Advice to Management

Although many people would dream to work at Google, don't use your high demand to disregard those you already hired! There are many opportunities to improve basic employee well-being and long-term retention.

"It is Google"

Former Employee - Software Engineer, Business Applications in San Jose, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer, Business Applications in San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at Google full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing learning opportunities if you are willing to spend the time looking for them.

Cons

Vendors and contractors are treated worse and worse as time goes by, where many are being moved off the campuses into buildings without Google standard facilities, like cafes or gyms.

Advice to Management

Treat vendors better.