Esri Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Esri President Jack Dangermond
Jack Dangermond

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "You will see HR on glassdoor run interference with replies when it comes to supporting career growth" (in 21 reviews)

• "Very flat organization, the owner has favorites and they are allowed to run amuck" (in 16 reviews)

1. "Good company but could increase benefits package"

I have been working at Esri full-time

Pros

Flexibility, vision and people were great

Cons

Lack of Bonus was slightly demotivating.

2. "Esri UK former employee review"

I worked at Esri full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere
    Very good training
    Freedom to develop yourself in a direction that suits you

Cons

Location outside of London or Reading is not ideal for a global leading tech company.
    Location limits salary.
    Not a place for young people who want to climb the ladder. A first come first served basis still exists in most departments here.

20 Jun 2018 – Esri

Please leave your feedback for the Esri UK team on their Glassdoor page. Thank you.

"Unlike any other company"

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Market leader, founded on solid moral values. Privately owned and therefore financially very stable. Very mature and diverse customer base.

Cons

Lots of 'dead wood' at the top of the management chain. Your success is very much related to who you know, and how you work the networks. Fine if you know how to operate like that, not so much for those who don't.

4. "Software developer"

I worked at Esri full-time

Pros

Interesting and challenging work
    Good environment
    Benefits
    Nice colleagues

Cons

Office location
    Life balance is good

"Good if you want to coast"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Redlands, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Redlands, CA (US)

I worked at Esri full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Your job is extremely secure. Since esri dominates the gis industry, growth is decent and layoffs don’t really happen. The software produced is also used for some really laudable things, e.g conservation.

Cons

The culture and software process is very 1980s, and things are extraordinarily slow to change. When I started around three and a half years ago my team was one of the very first to be using git. Everyone else was still using starteam. Testing (except for throwing code over the fence at some poor sucker) and ci/cd are almost unheard of.

There are also a lot of office politics, and a definite “old boys club.”

Finally, getting help or resources from teams outside of your own (and often, even on your own team) is like pulling teeth. It felt like engineers completely ignored my requests or questions until I had demonstrated that I wasn’t an idiot and earned some social capital. Now imagine that you’re working on something that needs to work with Pro, ArcGIS online, the latest version of server, and the sdks. Good luck getting any of the engineers on teams other than your own to share knowledge. As a result, everyone does things their own way and integrating the “platform” involves lots and lots of duck tape and prayer.

Advice to Management

You’re monopoly isn’t going to last forever. Start looking into modernizing your software processes. Additionally get rid of the toxic/uncooperative employees. It’s nice that you don’t fire people, but as a result plenty of employees are an absolute nightmare to work with.

6. "Good place to grow and learn"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA (US)

I worked at Esri full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lot's of smart and capable people with a strong culture built on relationships. Very nice campus with a casual and professional feel.

Cons

Difficult to get to know the lay of the land when you are new. Not a lot of structured information is shared regarding who's who, processes, points of contact, or org charts. But, it forces you to talk to multiple people - not so good for efficiency but good for getting know people face to face.

Advice to Management

Develop more career pathing and development plans for people that you want to stick around. Be more transparent regarding succession planning, expectations, and how to move up in the organization.

15 Mar 2019 – Esri

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We agree that Esri’s campus and culture can’t be beat! Over the last year, we’ve enhanced orientation to provide new colleagues with a better onboarding so they... More

"Too much dead weight, affecting growth, pay & workload of newer hires"

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Redlands, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Redlands, CA (US)

I worked at Esri full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits - 401k, profit sharing, insurance, paid leave, etc.

Cons

Where do I begin?
    Too many employees as compared to the work delivered - many of them are poorly managed and do not contribute fairly to the company’s growth..
    Staff over 15-20 years with Esri, barely come to work or deliver anything, but stay employed for the benefits and to get a salary, and this affects the wage budgets for other staff who actually do the work.
    There are too many managers who barely move out of roles and so the flat structure translates to little or no growth for other staff.
    Although, if you are related to a director/manager, or are a ‘favorite’, you’ll go places without really working.
    HR is painfully slow and incompetent, biased (pro-management) and hence, unapproachable.
    We lose more staff than we hire because HR doesn’t have a Retention Unit to work with resigning staff, then they lose time and money replacing valuable staff.
    Redlands was cheap in 60-70s, not anymore, but the pay scales haven’t increased proportionately and the annual increments are minuscule if not, unfair and even insulting at times!

Advice to Management

Leadership (not immediate managers) should conduct fair performance assessments of ALL staff to analyze where the gaps are - Reward the hardworking staff and put to task, those who are just cruising along (some, until retirement!) under the radar without adequate work, or replace them with fresh go-getters. Analyze where HR and Communications are failing. Find teams with an exaggerated number of staff and distribute the inactive ones to teams where the staff has run out of bandwidth - as in, ensure work is well distributed. Work on raising pay scales in line with inflation and increases in the cost of living.

15 Mar 2019 – Esri

I'm sorry you had a difficult time here. We appreciate the 8+ years you committed to our company, customers, and community. I would welcome the opportunity to talk with you about your experience at... More

"Eh"

Former Employee - Internship
    Former Employee - Internship

I worked at Esri full-time

Pros

They give you the time and resources to ensure you have a firm grasp of your work. Cafe was cool, decent pay.

Cons

So unorganized. Lower management and senior management/HR were never on the same page. No communication at all. Got to be very confusing and frustrating.

Advice to Management

More effective commication

9. "Vital experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA (US)

I worked at Esri full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Family friendly. Exceptional work environment, extraordinary people

Cons

Good solid work may not always get recognized or rewarded.

Advice to Management

There are lots of people with leadership skills at Esri today. Let them lead. Then there are some in leadership that are not leading. Be vigilant. They could hurt good employee retention

"The Creative Lab is a great place to work"

Current Employee - Creative LEad in Redlands, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Creative LEad in Redlands, CA (US)

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

highly creative atmosphere with other talented designers
    support from all levels of management
    interesting and varied projects
    flexibility to learn new things
    good benefits

Cons

I don't live in Redlands
    turnover is low - formal leadership positions don't open up often (but there are plenty of opportunities for project-based leadership)