FirstPort Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.9
FirstPort Chief Executive Nigel Howell
Nigel Howell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "It's a positive place to work with great people" (in 6 reviews)

• "The company has invested a lot of time and money in learning and development and this is always apparent across the company" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "There are lots of challenges and the business is very complex but as long as you are up for the challenge then there really are no Cons" (in 5 reviews)

• "A clearer online directory of who does what, a large company yes but a friendly company once you can find the right person to speak with" (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"One of the UK's largest firms you've not heard of...?"

I have been working at FirstPort full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm approaching my third month in the business and have yet to meet anyone I didn't like. Given there are some 3,000+ employees it's a credit to the senior leadership team that they're created an ethos where friendliness, transparency and trust are at the forefront of each day's work. I'm very impressed so far.

Cons

It's a big company, so making a mark might be seen as a challenge by some people who come from an SME background. But for the right people, FirstPort is a company that is definitely being well managed and is well on the way to being much more widely known. There's a very positive atmosphere here.

Advice to Management

Working in a paperless office, hot-desk environment is great. However, often working alongside complete strangers, not knowing which department they're from, can be rather daunting. Have you considered offering colleagues small signs they can put on their desk, next to their laptops? A small sign, such as: 'John, Finance team' would do the trick.

Best wishes
    John, Finance team

2. "Motivated"

Former Employee - Development Manager in Preston, North East England, England
    Former Employee - Development Manager in Preston, North East England, England

I worked at FirstPort full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Well run and motivational

Cons

Lone working difficult to get training

Advice to Management

Look after new starters

"Lastport of call"

Former Employee - House Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - House Manager in London, England

I worked at FirstPort full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lovely Residents, nice colleagues , I loved my job, very sociable and fulfilling.

Cons

O, the management,or lack of. No backup or help when needed, just got told to get on with it.

Advice to Management

Elderly people are human beings...not for making huge profits from. Look after your House Managers please

FirstPort Response

23 Nov 2018 – Head of Talent

I’m sorry to hear your experience at FirstPort was not a positive one. We want to make sure all of our colleagues feel supported by their managers.

I’d love to hear more on what you think we can... More

4. "One FirstPort"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager

I have been working at FirstPort part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been with FirstPort for nearly 4 years and overall enjoy the company, my colleagues and enthusiasm many of team possess. I've always enjoyed the energy across the teams, felt a warm welcome and generally there is a 'one' team approach across the business.

I originally joined the company full time and was able to reduce my hours following my return after maternity which enables me to have a reasonable work life balance.

Having worked for a number of different firms within the sector I feel FirstPort offer a great package for its colleagues and as a large firm do well to communicate across various platforms to all colleagues engendering a one team / morality across the business. Initiatives such as the WOW awards are great and encourage internal and customer nominations.

From a business delivery perspective, our values and delivery model is simple but consistent and at the forefront of everything we do - from day one the message has been clear and remains the same message. This has enabled us to all understand what is required, work towards the same goal (despite differing roles), measure our performance and improve our business.

Cons

As a large company come some downfalls - it is fast paced with a number of different business therefore some communication / changes are not always relayed, not all divisions / departments integrate.

Advice to Management

I feel inductions to the business and individual departments could be improved. Including re-introductions for those returning after long periods away from the business would be useful.

"Integrity in question"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Luton, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Luton, East of England, England

I have been working at FirstPort full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At first you are welcomed to the family and supported with everything you want to bring to the business.

Cons

Quickly you realise that there is only one way, the senior leaders way. Values are disregarded when it suits and recognition for the work you do in a very challenging and changing culture is very little. That's why the business struggles to retain great talent, because their are very few role models at senior level and they are not authentic which colleague quickly realise.

Advice to Management

Understand the change starts with you and you should be the role models. Recognise the responsibility you have to your colleagues to be the most inspiring leader you can, but sadly I think there are too many big egos in the current leadership to be the solution to the challenges this business is facing. Your losing some great talent because you just don't treat them right and they realise there are better places to work with a culture that recognises contribution, rewards performance and provides opportunity to progress.

FirstPort Response

23 Nov 2018 – Head of Talent

I am really sorry to hear that you are not enjoying your role at FirstPort. We have worked hard to embed the Values and many colleagues tell us they see them being role modelled by our leaders... More

6. "Regional Manager"

I have been working at FirstPort full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

FirstPort is a company that lives it's values. The support I get to perform in my role and help others succeed is second to none. This allows me to ensure I can look after our customers and ensure I help them live happily in their own homes. It is a company that blends youth and experience very effectively.

Cons

I have identified no cons.

Advice to Management

Develop a clear progression/succession process that all can benefit from. I do feel that some team members are unsure how they can progress.

7. "The FirstPort Family"

Current Employee - Regional Manager in London, England

I have been working at FirstPort full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A great business to be a part of - working with highly motivated and helpful colleagues.

Cons

No comments relate to this heading

8. "Graduate Review"

Current Employee - Graduate Propety Manager in Luton, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Graduate Propety Manager in Luton, East of England, England

I have been working at FirstPort full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Since joining I have had some great customer service training, as well as an introduction to the IRPM qualification that the business will be helping me to obtain.

The 4 Pillars initiative clearly defines what good property management is and it has given me the right outlook for a successful career with FirstPort.

Cons

The experience so far has been very enjoyable so I do not have any constructive criticism.

9. "Graduate Property Manager"

I have been working at FirstPort full-time

Pros

The company is very supportive, The graduate programme is very interactive and overall a great company to work for

Cons

so far so good, nothing to fault

10. "Graduate Review"

Current Employee - Graduate Poperty Manager
    Current Employee - Graduate Poperty Manager

I have been working at FirstPort full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Clear set out structure of the programme.
    - Friendly, open colleagues who actively strive to help you with any problems you may have.
    - Clear information on potential qualifications and routes to which are available to you.
    - Great in-house support services, whether it be through individual exec mentors, support from other branches of the business or support from individual line manager.

Cons

No cons I have seen so far.