FreeAgent Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

4.6
Ed Molyneux

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A great place to work!!"

Current Employee - Sales in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - Sales in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at FreeAgent full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A really welcoming company. I haven't wanted for anything and everyone is always more then happy to help!

I couldn't recommend applying for any vacancies enough!

Cons

Really can't see any at this point!

1 May 2017 – People Consultant - Talent Acquisition

That's great to know you have felt so welcomed! Thanks for leaving such positive feedback.

If you do have any ideas for improvement in future then don't hesitate to let us know.

2. "Good place to work"

I worked at FreeAgent full-time

Pros

- Transparent, open culture
    - Community building within the company - free lunches on fridays, free beer fridge
    - Monthly meetings with exec team that report back on company progress

Cons

- lack of reward system within company

3. "Excellent, Fast-growing Business"

Pros

Every month staff received a survey to provide feedback to FreeAgent management. Management then directly addressed any concerns during team gatherings and suggested solutions to any problems raised.

FreeAgent also offered weekly forums for the engineering team. This was an opportunity for employees to discuss recent tech talks and other tech developments.

In addition to this, FreeAgent invited guest speakers to the office for employees to hear other people's tech stories.

Staff organised annual and monthly events for the team which included BBQs, games nights, and treasure hunts.

Working hours were flexible. Most employees started between 0900 and 0930 and finished between 1700 and 1730. This time-frame included a one hour lunch break which employees usually took between 1200 and 1400.

Lastly, the FreeAgent office provided a superb view of the castle!

Cons

The team was rapidly growing in size. This held both pros and cons. In particular, it made it more difficult to get to know everyone well.

Individual team lead efforts on employee welfare were inconsistent. Whilst some team leads did a superb job to look out for staff on their teams, others could have shown more interest.

Advice to Management

Excellent work on starting and building the FreeAgent business - particularly now when staff numbers are rising rapidly. You provided a warm welcome to new employees and offered plenty of opportunities for the team to address concerns to you, which was appreciated. Taking into consideration the points made in the cons, I have little to add.

4 Aug 2017 – People Consultant - Talent Acquisition

Dear Reviewer,
    Thanks for such a positive review! More importantly it's great that overall you enjoyed your experience working at FreeAgent. We do try hard to make sure it's a great place to work... More

5. "I love working here and would 100% recommend it as a place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at FreeAgent full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've found this to be a really fun environment with a variety of social activities to take part in. You can join games nights, team charity runs, or just play pool and have a beer after work in the shared kitchen. People are friendly and inclusive and this helps new joiners settle in really quickly.

There is a good work-life balance and although people work hard, there is an informal atmosphere that makes it easy to come to work.

The team lunch on a Friday helps everyone to integrate and speak to people across the company. Sprint demos give people the opportunity to share what they have been working on and hear about what others are working on. Hack days let people come up with great ideas and work on a project of their choosing - a great chance to work with people you wouldn't normally.

I feel very lucky to be a part of FreeAgent and would definitely recommend working here!

Cons

I can't think of any cons so far. The company is growing very quickly so we just need to make sure we adapt quickly and continue the great things that are in place already.

Advice to Management

Continue being transparent and making time to hear everyone's views.

6 Mar 2017 – People Consultant - Talent Acquisition

This review has certainly perked me up this Monday morning. Great to hear that the various activities and initiatives are well received and that you are having a very positive experience working at... More

6. "A good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at FreeAgent full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing people to work with, good work environment, very friendly company, reasonable autonomy. Everyone has great enthusiasm for their work.

Cons

Lofty goals and planning of too much work per quarter is often demoralising, not as flexible as they make out – it really depends on department whether you can work flexibly, not enough time for personal development

23 Feb 2017 – People Consultant - Talent Acquisition

Hi there,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of your experience working for FreeAgent. It’s great to know that we are achieving our objective of making it a great place to... More

7. "Awesome place to work"

Pros

I'm convinced that I'll never work at a better company than FreeAgent - it really is an awesome place to come every day.

*The execs are all very approachable and transparent about the company's direction and any issues or opportunities that they're considering
    * Everyone here is very, very smart and very, very nice.
    * You're treated like an adult here - you're trusted to get on with your work but you also have the support of your team
    * Regular hack days and social events, and catered team lunches every Friday
    * A great-looking office with amazing views of Edinburgh

Cons

I honestly can't think of any real downsides to working here. FreeAgent is growing quickly and there are of course growing pains as we scale, but any issues that pop up are always handled with a lot of thought and compassion by the exec team.

Advice to Management

Just keep doing what you're doing!

29 Nov 2016 – People Consultant - Talent Acquisition

Thanks for such a brilliant review! It's great to know the things that are really appreciated by the staff so we can continue making FreeAgent an incredible place to work.
    Katie, People Consultant... More

8. "Fantastic place to work"

I have been working at FreeAgent full-time

Pros

It's easily the best company I've ever worked for. Company culture if fantastic and the people that work here are fantastic. There's no micromanaging. Exec team are very open with where the company is going, what struggles there are and what numbers look like. That's much appreciated.

Cons

No clear career path and progression but that's something I know is changing right now.

Advice to Management

Company culture is our biggest asset. We need to guard it.

29 Nov 2016 – People Consultant - Talent Acquisition

Thanks for such open and positive feedback. It's really appreciated to have your views and an understanding of what our employees value.
    Katie, People Consultant - Talent Acquisition

9. "Wonderful place to work"

Pros

My colleagues are the best, the work is challenging and fun and of course the beer fridge and Friday lunches are awesome :)

Cons

I cannot think of any!

10. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at FreeAgent (More than 5 years)

Pros

A team that's not only highly skilled and intelligent but very friendly. There's nobody at FreeAgent I wouldn't be happy to have a coffee with. Free lunch every Friday, whatever kind of tea you want, and plenty of biscuits - that's if the boss hasn't eaten them!

Cons

The only disadvantage is the commute but that's my fault for living in Cumbria!

Advice to Management

Stop scoffing all the biscuits!

"Software engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at FreeAgent full-time

Pros

Good culture, healthy environment, company focused on quality with lovely people. Amazing offices in Edinburgh. No micromanagement.

Cons

I had to leave the company for personal reasons (non-related to this company), a tough decision cause I loved to work there.

Advice to Management

The company is growing very fast, my advice to the management is keep this magic environment, avoid corporative models as much as you can.