Geeks Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

3.9
Mazdak Afshar

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Culture, games room, parties, staff are well looked after, learning curve" (in 5 reviews)

• "Great place to start software development career" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "The company also operate an extremely selfish sick-pay policy" (in 4 reviews)

• "Reduce the working hours and ask you employees to work ad-hoc overtime" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Accepting, innovative and fun"

Former Employee - Receptionist in London, England
    Former Employee - Receptionist in London, England

I worked at Geeks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Geek of the Week celebrations
    Employee incentives
    Friendly environment
    Accepting and inclusive work atmosphere
    Colourful
    Fun
    Engaging and inclusive culture

Cons

Can't say that I have experienced many cons

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing

2. "Trainee project Manager"

I have been working at Geeks full-time

Pros

Getting reply very soon for application

Cons

need more information about the Job roles

24 Sep 2018 – Head of Operations

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us feedback. If you could reach out to the Head of Operations and Office Manager with your specific feedback about what information would be useful... More

"Excellent recruitment process"

I have been working at Geeks full-time

Pros

A welcoming, fun, professional team with a brilliant outlook on their industry.

Cons

Cant say I have found any yet!

4. "Happy Geeky Company"

Former Employee - Digital Designer in Morden, London, England
    Former Employee - Digital Designer in Morden, London, England

I worked at Geeks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, Geeks is a company which take care of its employees and value a good working culture.

Cons

Sometimes, processes can be a little bit stiffs but it wasn't a major problem to me. Microsoft Windows exclusively.

17 Jul 2018 – Head of Operations

Thank you for the feedback. Glad to hear you enjoy your time working at Geeks.

We are a Microsoft Gold Certified partner and do have a lot of expertise in this space, but we do have capacity and... More

"Amazing social atmosphere"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Morden, London, England
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Morden, London, England

I have been working at Geeks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Outstanding co-workers. Flexible working hours. Varied tasks and self-development prospects. Extraordinary benefits & facilities such as office games, massage chairs, free food, drinks, snacks, and fruits. No routine over-time. Enjoyable work. Lots of training. Out of work socialising events (often paid-for by the company). Parties in different occasions. Sports and charity clubs with lots of campaigns to raise money or participate in good things. Clever and thoughtful colleagues that go out of their way to help you.

Cons

28 days of annual leave. Could be more (to be fair, one day is added to it each year, but it could still be more)

Advice to Management

Introduce a policy to increase the annual leave allowance

30 Apr 2018 – Head of Operations

"Thanks for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. Really happy to hear you're enjoying working at Geeks and we want to continue to ensure that and foster our great company culture and... More

"Smart and lean company"

I have been working at Geeks full-time

Pros

Learning and development, cross-domain experience, complex projects, modern technologies and tools, lean and unbureaucratic.

Cons

If you are not self-motivated this will not be the best place for you. You're expected to be proactive and get things done.

30 Apr 2018 – Head of Operations

"Your feedback is valued and appreciated!

We do have a work hard, train hard ethos at Geeks so the individuals that do tend to thrive in this fast paced and innovative environment tend to be the... More

7. "Great software development experience"

I have been working at Geeks full-time

Pros

* Very nice and smart people
    * Great social life & work environment. Free breakfast/lunch/snacks, plenty of out-of-work socialising and events, annual holiday.
    * True focus on employee welfare
    * Friendly & respectful office environment
    * Amazing training programme. Great place to work at, especially for the trainees. Brilliant opportunity to launch into a software career. Small and growing company, so the opportunities are great if you are proactive.
    * Professional certifications paid by the company
    * You matter. If you want to make a change, you are largely able to try and do so.

Cons

The consultancy nature of the business means that we often have to work on projects that are not very inspiring

Advice to Management

The office environment makes this company. Try not to lose sight of that.

"Excellent place to work!"

I have been working at Geeks full-time

Pros

Great experience of varied projects. Great opportunities for progression. Great balance of work and social aspects.

Cons

None. I love it here.

"Comfortable environment and good people"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Morden, London, England
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Morden, London, England

I worked at Geeks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At Geeks you will find a lot of wonderful people. Interviewing is undertaken with company fit at heart, so the team ethos is great, and you will get along with everybody. I did not met a single bad egg at Geeks during my time there.

You will be given a good workstation with decent pc and monitors (those who have worked elsewhere will know that a poor pc can be a huge hindrance and annoyance).

The teams communicate well and you are also left to get on with your work for long periods of time with minimal interruption whilst still staying in touch with team progress via in-house tooling and Slack.

The company provide free drinks and snacks (but this is becoming more and more commonplace in the industry) but what sets Geeks apart is the free alcoholic drinks after work on a Friday with a free run of the upstairs games room. This social time provided by the company is a real asset and a credit to them. The company also put on a couple of good parties through the year in summer and at Christmas.

Cons

Unfortunately there are some downsides to working at Geeks. The first being the apparent tight-fisted approach the Directors take to working hours and salaries. There are no bonuses I have heard of (which is rare for the industry) and the company require you to sign in and out daily and if you were to sign out more than 30 seconds before you have worked your 9 hours, you will be deducted a minute from your salary. I am not kidding. Also you will not be paid for extra time worked. It's incredibly petty.

The company also operate an extremely selfish sick-pay policy. You will get only 6 paid days per year. Even if you have worked at the company for 10 years, if you get seriously ill and have a mortgage to pay and family to care for, you are on your own. It seems you work for the company but they will not work for you.

Holiday allowance is the bare minimum, as is the pension scheme.

Daily hours are 9-6, even though the company boast to not ever requiring their employees to work overtime, this extra hour worked daily amounts to something like an extra 22 hours on average per month. This is very likely to be much more than you would work in overtime on an average month, so it's a false economy. Reduce the working hours and ask you employees to work ad-hoc overtime. It's much more fair. The working day is too long.

The company recently introduced flex-time, but it is still very inflexible.

The company seem to keep replacing senior and lead developers with junior new hires. There is becoming a severe lack of technical depth to the workforce there.

The old office is always extremely stuffy and hot. And at times unbearably so.

The toilets are always filthy and not cleaned often enough.

Their own in-house software is good, but it is so unique to the company that if you are a junior developer, I sincerely advise you to leave asap so you can get better career development using industry standard tooling. M# and Sanity will hold your career back and your learning will tail off quickly.

Advice to Management

Increase wages and introduce bonus schemes.
    Stop deducting petty amounts from people's wages.
    Pay people overtime.
    Reduce the daily work hours.
    Increase holiday allowance.
    Employ more leads/seniors, juniors will leave if there are not enough knowledgeable people to learn from.
    Slowly change M# to use more industry standard methodologies.
    Pay more sick time. Don't abandon loyal workers who might suddenly become ill.
    Communicate more with your staff, you appear faceless.

23 Mar 2018 – Director

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. There are some inaccuracies and one-sided statements made, which are hereby responded to for the benefit of the readers.

"There are no bonuses"
    We... More

"QA test engineer"

Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in Morden, London, England
    Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in Morden, London, England

I have been working at Geeks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company that I enjoy working for. Really good atmosphere.

Cons

It takes me over an hour to get all the way down to Morden, a central location would be better personally.