GoCardless Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2021

Found 96 of over 100 reviews

4.1
GoCardless CEO Hiroki Takeuchi (no image)
Hiroki Takeuchi
Pros
  • "Real emphasise on work/life balance(in 6 reviews)

• "Nice Office in central London, they provide state of the art mac pro laptop and 5k screen(in 6 reviews)

• Cons
  • "This is a rapidly growing company and you need to be able to be comfortable with change(in 3 reviews)

• "Internationalisation and scaling teams naturally brings growing pains(in 3 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

Amazing company

Jul 2, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Strong focus on growth - Super nice & helpful people - the culture is amazing - Plenty of things to learn

Cons

None really - just a really lovely culture & team

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company to work for - highly recommend!

Nov 10, 2020 - Customer Success Manager in Milpitas, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

A great work environment in a company which is rapidly expanding. The company culture is great with our values clearly embedded in our day to day work. You genuinely feel you are part of one team and that your opinions hold weight. The people and culture are undoubtedly some of the biggest pros of working at GoCardless. The product is continually evolving to ensure we provide a best in class solution for our customers - there is no resting on your laurels here. The leadership team are also very open and transparent, both in good times and bad - which is refreshing to see. The benefits are great - excellent office space, private healthcare, learning budget, discounted gym membership, flexibility to WFH….and the list goes on. It is clear that employee wellbeing is a key focus for GoCardless. As you would also expect with a scale up company, the London office comes fully equipped with a barista style coffee machine, ping pong table, Playstation etc. There are also a whole host of clubs from running, cooking, netball, reading etc. You will be hard pressed to find that there isn’t already a group (and of course a corresponding Slack channel) for your hobby of choice.

Cons

Not necessarily a con but as mentioned in numerous other reviews, you have to be comfortable with change and remain adaptable. Due to the nature of where we are in our journey as a company and the space we operate in - processes, objectives, initiatives can frequently change. You are also expected to roll up your sleeves and get stuck in - the day to day can be busy so effective time management is crucial, (though there is no expectation to burn the midnight oil).

5 people found this review helpful
    3. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great company to work for

Jun 24, 2021 - People Operations in Santa Clara, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company culture and fantastic people to work with. Lots of talent and great energy

Cons

Still very start-upy in many areas so not an environment for everyone

4. 3.0
      Former Employee

Good company but some growing pains

Jun 25, 2021 - Customer Service
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Good product - Transparent leadership

Cons

- Hiring very quickly and not retaining same hiring standards - Growing pains of fast-moving company

1 person found this review helpful
    5. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Pursuing aggressive growth

Jul 1, 2021 - Sales
      Business Outlook

Pros

Strong product, freedom and autonomy, some great people

Cons

Original culture has been lost

6. 4.0
      Former Employee

A good company

Jun 21, 2021 - Compliance Advisor
      Business Outlook

Pros

Caring team and company. Always there to help.

Cons

Progression could be very slow.

1 person found this review helpful
    7. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great company

Jun 22, 2021 - Executive Assistant in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of opportunities because of scaling

Cons

Fast paced, goals constantly changing

8. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great Company Wrong Team

Apr 2, 2021 - Sales Development Representative (SDR)
      Business Outlook

Pros

This company has great benefits including compensation. There training programmes is really great and your team mates will help you with anything you’re stuck on. They have a really advanced tech stack. Give you a lot of gifts!

Cons

The work life balance isn’t as good as they make it out to be, you do need to work 10 hours a day to success at this job. Their leads are very poor quality. Micromanagement within my particular team was very strong. My manager was incredibly dismissive and undermining. I was made to feel worthless and often told to not have opinions. I could not speak to anyone in the business about this.

5 people found this review helpful
    9. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Poor management but good colleagues

Nov 16, 2020 - Senior Software Engineer in Phila, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

High hiring bar = talented engineering colleagues, lots of interesting problems to solve, ambitious company goals.

Cons

Promotion to more senior roles almost impossible, really depends on your luck being in a team which has something big to deliver, otherwise you'll get skipped over for promotion repeatedly, unfortunately we've lost some really talented people due to this. Classic management difficulties: lots of teams so they added an extra layer of "group managers", which of course adds more confusion (e.g. missing TPS reports). Nobody knows what the CTO is actually doing and he's really distant from the reality of engineering. Abundance of short-term thinking: some parts of the product are new and shiny, but there's lots of technical debt in some places that is being ignored, which is slowing us down in the longer term and I worry we'll lose more frustrated people to it. Diversity: lots of talk about it but a real lack of results, and there are some worrying signs that we have structural issues with retaining female engineers. A previous comment talked about nepotism, I haven't witnessed that but there definitely is some cronyism in senior management (see first point, this could be an issue if you aren't in that circle).

9 people found this review helpful

GoCardless Response

Hello, My name is Neil and I am the CTO at GOCardless. I thought I’d write down some thoughts and data that may be useful if you are considering joining GoCardless. Growth We are growing fast and have been for the last number of years. Product Development as a whole compromise Security, Banking Operations, Engineering, Product Management, Design and Data. That whole department is now > 150 people with Engineering alone > 80. Up until last year all engineering teams reported directly to me. This started to be an impediment to both individual and team growth as I didn't (and still don't!) have the bandwidth to give everyone the time they deserved. Along with that, structurally, the creation of groups of teams made sense. For instance, we have all the teams related to ‘moving money’ now in one group, with one set of group leaders. This allows for consistency and autonomy within that group. Autonomy is something we value highly as we want decisions to be made and owned closest to the problem space. We believe this group structure will serve us well as we continue our growth into 2021. Delivery We tend to set company OKRs (normally 3) on a yearly basis. This will inform much of what engineering work on. However, we also have group and team goals as well as investment work that we need to prioritise. That prioritisation is led by Product Management but informed by engineering managers and tech leads. (For reference we have Principal Engineers as tech leads in many on our groups and seasoned engineers as tech leads in teams) Additionally, we have engineers taking on department wide initiatives such as increasing our observability of the product or the current one we are working on of understanding our scalability models and increasing our ‘runway’ as we grow. Having said all of that, the real world sometimes does not align with our plans. External factors (covid for instance) sometimes require us to pivot and work on new things or work in a different order. As a high growth company in a fast changing environment I do not expect this to change. Balancing long-term building with shorter-term initiatives is one of the challenges faced by most scale-ups, and while we may not yet have found the perfect balance we’ve built the decision-making processes to tackle this as effectively as possible Diversity We have strived to increase diversity in all forms in the entire company and Product Development. Engineering diversity as measured by gender has been a focus and we now measure how our ‘funnel’ performs. We have specific targets in terms of candidates that get to a face to face interview before we make an offer BUT we do not bias offers for successful candidates based on their education, race, gender or other protected characteristic. Across Product Development women make up 23 %, within engineering it is 14% and within engineering management it is 33%. Promotion We promote based on impact. So it can be said that those working on larger, more visible deliverables have an increased opportunity to show this. We promote when we believe the ‘centre of gravity’ for the person is at the next level, not when they are completely meeting all our competencies at that level. Promotions are run on a strict process. Promotion committees are facilitated by someone outside of the management chain for that function, and include more senior individual contributors and managers from across all of Product Development. We assess reason for and against promotion and promote only when there is a unanimous view. This is supported by a full document that shows the promotees performance against the next level. We promote twice a year and in the latest round we promoted 20 in PD overall and 8 within engineering. This included promotions to all levels from SDE1 to SDEII and promotion for some to VP level. It also included 2 promotions to Principal Engineer. Rotation One other thing to mention is that we have a formal policy for rotation. There is an internal jobs board where anyone can apply for a new open role and as long as they meet the criteria on tenure and previous review they can interview and move within a short period. This applies even across internal disciplines so an SDE can move to be an SRE for instance. Communication This one is something I am working on. The things I work on mostly fall into 2 buckets. The utterly mundane or the confidential. I need to find a better way of (retrospectively) sharing what I have been doing and the things I am working on.

10. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to work - amazing culture

May 28, 2021 - Partnerships Manager in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing culture and team, everyone is ambitious

Cons

Lots of middle management as the company scaled too many "cooks" in the kitchen

Viewing 1 - 10 of 96 Reviews