Hootsuite Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.7
Hootsuite CEO Ryan Holmes
Ryan Holmes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great culture, awesome people, really interesting technical challenges, fantastic work-life balance" (in 19 reviews)

• "Great people and product, clients are all happy" (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • "1000 employees in 5 years, which naturally causes some growing pains" (in 15 reviews)

• "Little or no career development for many" (in 12 reviews)

"Great company in the social space"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Hootsuite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and product, clients are all happy

Cons

none I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

2. "Good Place to Work"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in London, England

I have been working at Hootsuite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Good brand to associate yourself with and good place to learn, particularly if you're early in your career
    -Decent salary (market average or above depending on experience)
    -Great office location and very comfortable environment
    -Above average holiday allowance

Cons

-Constant need for the organisation to evolve can make things a bit turbulent
    -Pension contribution is only at the legal minimum level

Advice to Management

-Try not to implement too many changes at the same time

"Approach with caution if Senior Sales, Commercial AE, CSM, Pro serve - a good stepping stone for sure."

Current Employee - Account Executive in London, England
    Current Employee - Account Executive in London, England

I have been working at Hootsuite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong position in the marketplace, very good eco-system to compliment.
    Smart pre-sales team to support engagements
    Lot's of helpful people to help get tasks completed

Cons

Limitation around accounts (less than 30) meaning you could be knocking on the same doors a lot, potentially luck more than hard work and good judgement will get too anywhere near target.

Sales leaders have good ideas but have not worked for Hootsuite as an AE, only big corporates, therefore, fantasize about what's possible, yet make little impact in meetings and demand figures to be delivered quarterly (targetted annually to incentivise larger deals).

AE targets are all the same depending on your tier (1 1m+ or 2 750k+), yet tons more investment is in financial services and not emerging markets or newly created AE verticals.

Advice to Management

How you're changing the business is good, don't be so aggressive. with verticals otherwise, the figures will suffer, allow some people to have more coverage as they adapt to getting stuck into new accounts. or provide guaranteed comms so all are happy.

Please don't hound new AE's who you want to do big deals, they're all talented and need to be given time, I feel pressure for figures monthly or creating fake pipeline is damaging for all involved and churn will occur often.

HR is so poor it's untrue, spend some decent money here and get rid of who you have.

"Stop trying to be a start up"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Hootsuite full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-the people are amazing, everybody you work with has a passion and drive to do and be better
    -vacation days are above average which was a nice perk

Cons

-directors are hired unknowing what the company actually does and don't bother to learn how a department has been functioning before they arrived
    -there is very little to no incentive to want to do more and pay is only ever bumped if you get a promotion - doesn't matter if you are a top performer
    -many things are being taken away and the upper management doesn't pump fun back into anything after taking something away
    -they pinch pennies at the bottom to spend dollars at the top

Advice to Management

Actually take the time to listen to people and read what is included in a Hootpulse, fixing one small thing never fixes the bigger issue at hand. If somebody leaves and you have to ask them if they were unhappy this would be a great time to self reflect on the recent changes that were made that drove somebody to leave.

"Great"

Current Employee - Content Marketing in London, England
    Current Employee - Content Marketing in London, England

I have been working at Hootsuite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work. Amazing people.

Cons

Too many changes in the organisation but it's for the best.

Advice to Management

Get more resources to make a real impact on the business.

"Consider this a lighthouse warning and avoid sinking your own ship"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Hootsuite full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

One of the things that really stands out here is the culture, they have it in abundance. Beer Fridays, summer local retreats, good vacation, pension & benefits. The WeWork office in London has spectacular views of St Katherines dock and the Tower of London. Also they have a great approach with moving staff around if you are good, you can change career track or even location if the job warrants it.

Cons

If you are in Sales then be aware that the comp/bonus/targets are changed quarterly and usually not in your favour. You are also expected to only do deals above a certain threshold, anything else needs to be passed to the commercial AE's. If you are in Marketing you are generally ok as the team is the size of a U.N. peacekeeping force, results can vary though. The company's results vary from quarter to quarter, and if it's a bad quarter then expect headcount freeze or even layoff's to balance the books. If it's a good quarter then enjoy the party as it doesn't happen often. There is continuous restructuring every quarter so expect some turmoil while some senior management try to save their own jobs. Salaries are not competitive unless you know someone high up in which case they will pay whatever it takes to bring you in. The office will probably be changed later this year as the full cost of having the WeWork office vs the EMEA revenue will be re-balanced. There is also some infighting within the sales teams as each leader tries to grab territory to hit his or her number, lack of decision making from higher up only adds to the issues faced by AE's. If you are pregnant, I pray for you. The company doesn't deal with pregnancy very well and prepare to even lose your job after with a pay off.

Advice to Management

Stop restructuring quarterly, it takes at least a couple of quarters for results to be obtained.
    Look at proven leadership/results vs newcomers that fail and cover up with BS.
    Stop hiring people based on the face that fits and hire people based on track record.
    Stop the discrimination against women.
    Have a clear strategy and respect the employees that do a good job.
    CEO needs to focus on the company and less on blogging & interviews.

"Great people, leadership, office, perks."

Current Employee - Value Analyst in London, England
    Current Employee - Value Analyst in London, England

I have been working at Hootsuite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Hootsuite employ great people. The smart, driven, fun-loving, team-players far outnumber those who are not. I learn every day from my colleagues.

- A collaborative working environment that encourages helping one another achieve and grow.

- A great new office in London

- Perfect environment for someone who likes to take initiatives and feel empowered.

- A fast-paced, dynamic industry that keeps you on your toes.

- Some inspiring leaders with a wealth of experience in social, digital and marketing.

Cons

The fast-moving industry means one must expect to adapt on a weekly basis to changes. This might not be to everyone's taste...

Advice to Management

Keep treating your employees right, don't become too corporate and we are going to go far!

"Had a great time! Great experience"

Former Employee - SDR in London, England
    Former Employee - SDR in London, England

I worked at Hootsuite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I started at Hootsuite it was a small team of 60 and has grown and grown to be successful.
    Like any start up it has its challenges but I believe these are the things that make you stronger and focused as an individual.
    My tenure at Hootsuite has meant I have seen many offices, Managers and a great GM.
    The people are what keep you drawn to Hootsuite. As well as a great product.

Cons

Personally not many, I believe the recent hiring has fallen flat, and the business needs to address the type of individuals they believe will continue success or fall flat due to a slightly “different” management style. However, don’t let this put you off, I am confident the GM knows what he is doing and the business will deliver the big numbers it is capable of doing.

Advice to Management

Is it an IPO or is the goal to be acquired. Make up your mind and follow that strategy with conviction.

"On a bumpy upward curve"

Current Employee - Presales in London, England
    Current Employee - Presales in London, England

I have been working at Hootsuite full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great product with sensible partnerships plus a very well-known brand makes it easy to to talk to big-name clients.
    The rapid growth means that processes are relatively lightweight – if you want to change something for a good reason, you can.
    Trust in staff to deliver, rather than micromanagement (although this isn't universal)
    Open culture with a lack of silos – there's little internal competition, and a good focus on customers' satisfaction and success. Strong sense that we're one organisation across the offices around the world.
    Very good opportunities to move around the business, even internationally, to progress your career.
    The new office is a place to be proud of.

Cons

A couple of recent senior hiring decisions haven't worked out well, which has affected the culture and performance in some areas.
    Pre-IPO status means there's a lazer-focus on the bottom line and profitability (the flipside of generous stock options though?)
    HR come across as inexperienced and are sometimes behind the curve.

Advice to Management

Don't rest on the laurels of a great Forrester report.
    Don't be afraid to admit when a senior hire through personal connections just isn't right for the business.

"On the path"

I have been working at Hootsuite full-time

Pros

Listening to customer feedback to make our products and services more valuable to our enterprise customers than in the past. Seem poised to pull away from the competition after a lot of market consolidation.

A relatively sensible approach to enable people to work from home when it makes sense.

Cons

Compensation is less than the market

Advice to Management

Continue the focus of listening to our customers to ensure our solution remains the market leader because it brings value, not because we get better at positioning it or as our competitors fail