Jump Trading Reviews

Updated 23 Mar 2020

4.4
Jump Trading COO Matt Schrecengost (no image)
Matt Schrecengost
Pros
  • "Comfortable working environment allows you to be yourself and not worry about perceptions(in 10 reviews)

• "Smart people - state of the art tech - all resources available to be successful(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Young work environment can contribute to pressure to work very long hours but then this is standard in this industry(in 5 reviews)

• "There are no cons - only one would be that the industry is niche and that isn't jump specific(in 4 reviews)

1. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Jump Trading full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good office with great view. Clear responsibility areas. Pay well. Interesting corporate events.

Cons

Carrier path is confusing. Higher management says the titles don't matter. May be it is so for them, but it ends up with random and unreasonable title assignment, which leads to unnecessary tensions (conclusion from conversions with colleagues).

"It's not what you know it's who you know"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Jump Trading full-time

Pros

Friday lunches, travel, dynamic work environment

Cons

Very clicky and poor management is a common issue throughout all departments. End of year evaluations (provided by employees) should be taken seriously by senior management.

"Excellent place to be"

Former Employee - Algorithmic Trader in London, England

I worked at Jump Trading full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I found my time at Jump to be really, insanely valuable and would encourage anyone to join. It is an excellent place to be if you are motivated and want to work with really smart, dedicated people who are (mostly) not dicks. Without question this was the best place that I have worked, and I fear that it will remain so going forward. London office space is really nice. Lighting a bit of a problem, but workable. You need to know your stuff (which, if you get through the interview process, is quite likely) and be able to defend your position when you are right; I found admitting and owning it when wrong to be valued. You can expect people to do their jobs, do them well, and go the extra mile. The company seems generally quite willing to work with employees and (given you lay the groundwork with your target group) willing to move people into new roles after they have proven themselves. This is particularly true for people who have been with the firm a few years and shown skill and dedication to the job. It seems to be more true now than it was in the past. The London office is probably one of the best places to work on the planet. (And I'm leaving!)

Cons

Friday lunches will fatten you up. Chicago office space is a bit of a bunker (but I think a well designed one if you are interested in getting things done). Some people are a bit egotistical; most are not. Given the overall high skill/ego ratio, and the low number of dicks, this is probably a pro. An individual's experience will be highly dependent on what group they join, particularly in the front office. Tough interview process.

"Worst work experience of my career."

2.0

I have been working at Jump Trading

Pros

Some nice people. Free lunches on fridays lots of travel between offices business seems to be good growing company

Cons

A lot of clever people. .Unfortunately most not as clever as they think they are.. lots of diva types, intensely political and cliquey. very under resourced, hence very long hours and lots of weekend work..compensation doesn't reflect the effort..A lot of my colleagues agree of being heavily oversold role and bonuses at interview.

5. "Fantastic Company"

Former Employee - Team Lead

I worked at Jump Trading full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very smart, talented, hard working people who don't have egos and are easy to work with. Everyone is treated with respect. The company invests heavily to keep up with and continually outpace the industry. Very forward thinking. Compensation and benefits are excellent. Good office space in Chicago.

Cons

It's a big company, so there is some of the inevitable big company slowness. But it isn't too bad. Not too many lunch options around the Chicago office.

Continue reading

"Well run and consistently successful"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Jump Trading full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Compensation and benefits are great. - Feels more like a tech company than finance. Always interesting things going on, trying crazy new ideas and seeing what works out. Makes diverse bets in many different directions. - Chicago office is improved dramatically after 6th floor expansion and Cafe/Barista addition. - It's casual, it's not too formal or stifling. #thedailydog. Friday song. Shrec (CEO) is charismatic and knows everybody by name. - Things always seem to be getting better, not worse.

Cons

- Jump isn't as agile as they think they are. TONNES OF TECH DEBT. A general fear of changes taking out production trading means that getting stuff fixed or improved is often slower than it should be. Coredev somewhat dysfunctional. - Not exactly a Meritocracy. Front office trading teams take the lions share of profits, though back office are working their butts off to make sure everything can run smoothly. - Not much of a bigger picture. There appears to be no greater purpose to the work than profiting off the markets. Jump entices hundreds of incredibly smart people, who might otherwise be solving important issues in the real world, to just polish the P&L - for scientists and engineers, it's kind of an empty goal.

Continue reading
  7. "Great company to work at"

Current Employee - Quant

I have been working at Jump Trading full-time

Pros

They pay a lot for the good people

Cons

You have to work very hard

"Sweatshop"

1.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Jump Trading full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Traders sometimes bring you to expensive dinner.

Cons

Poor work environment. Low Pay. Long hours.

9. "Great workplace"

Current Employee - Quantitative Researcher in New York, NY

I have been working at Jump Trading full-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome benefits, really talented coworkers, challenging learning curve (you'll be surprised how much you can learn in a few years!), and of course great pay.

Cons

Things can get heated up and intense sometimes :)

10. "One of the best places to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Jump Trading full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Lots of intellectual stimulation and constant access to hard but interesting problems - Combination of analytically and quantitatively smart but humble peers - Culture is paramount and the company puts a high value to maintaining great culture - Top of the line benefits and compensation

Cons

- Company is growing through an inflection point and expansion - so expected kinks as it navigates through that but nothing serious

Found 73 reviews