Jump Trading Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Jump Trading Reviews

Updated 17 Oct 2019

4.4
Jump Trading CEO Matt Schrecengost (no image)
Matt Schrecengost
Pros
  • "Comfortable working environment allows you to be yourself and not worry about perceptions(in 9 reviews)

• "Great environment, smart people, good benefits(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Young work environment can contribute to pressure to work very long hours but then this is standard in this industry(in 4 reviews)

• "There are no cons - only one would be that the industry is niche and that isn't jump specific(in 4 reviews)

"Excellent place to be"

Former Employee - Algorithmic Trader in London, England

I worked at Jump Trading full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I found my time at Jump to be really, insanely valuable and would encourage anyone to join. It is an excellent place to be if you are motivated and want to work with really smart, dedicated people who are (mostly) not dicks. Without question this was the best place that I have worked, and I fear that it will remain so going forward. London office space is really nice. Lighting a bit of a problem, but workable. ... You need to know your stuff (which, if you get through the interview process, is quite likely) and be able to defend your position when you are right; I found admitting and owning it when wrong to be valued. You can expect people to do their jobs, do them well, and go the extra mile. The company seems generally quite willing to work with employees and (given you lay the groundwork with your target group) willing to move people into new roles after they have proven themselves. This is particularly true for people who have been with the firm a few years and shown skill and dedication to the job. It seems to be more true now than it was in the past. The London office is probably one of the best places to work on the planet. (And I'm leaving!)

Cons

Friday lunches will fatten you up. Chicago office space is a bit of a bunker (but I think a well designed one if you are interested in getting things done). Some people are a bit egotistical; most are not. Given the overall high skill/ego ratio, and the low number of dicks, this is probably a pro. An individual's experience will be highly dependent on what group they join, particularly in the front office.... Tough interview process.

Jump Trading2016-01-28

"It's not what you know it's who you know"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Jump Trading full-time

Pros

Friday lunches, travel, dynamic work environment

Cons

Very clicky and poor management is a common issue throughout all departments. End of year evaluations (provided by employees) should be taken seriously by senior management.

Advice to Management

Manager's should go on training courses.

Jump Trading2017-02-20

"Worst work experience of my career."

I have been working at Jump Trading

Pros

Some nice people. Free lunches on fridays lots of travel between offices business seems to be good growing company

Cons

A lot of clever people. .Unfortunately most not as clever as they think they are.. lots of diva types, intensely political and cliquey. very under resourced, hence very long hours and lots of weekend work..compensation doesn't reflect the effort..A lot of my colleagues agree of being heavily oversold role and bonuses at interview.

Advice to Management

Don't promote good technical people into management roles unless they're good at management.

Jump Trading2014-10-19
  4. "Great workplace"

Current Employee - Quantitative Researcher in New York, NY

I have been working at Jump Trading full-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome benefits, really talented coworkers, challenging learning curve (you'll be surprised how much you can learn in a few years!), and of course great pay.

Cons

Things can get heated up and intense sometimes :)

Jump Trading2019-10-17
  5. "One of the best places to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Jump Trading full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Lots of intellectual stimulation and constant access to hard but interesting problems - Combination of analytically and quantitatively smart but humble peers - Culture is paramount and the company puts a high value to maintaining great culture - Top of the line benefits and compensation

Cons

- Company is growing through an inflection point and expansion - so expected kinks as it navigates through that but nothing serious

Advice to Management

Change of old guard who is non-contemporary on current market environment and business model is good for the company - some welcome changes already on the way

Jump Trading2019-10-14

"Excellent company"

Former Employee - Senior Trading Systems Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Jump Trading full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Cutting edge difficult problems and the top tools. Dynamic open collaborative environment. Excellent compensation and benefits. Flat hierarchy. Great upper management

Cons

Cutting edge difficult problems and long hours.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing great things, continue improving career path program for new hires

Jump Trading2019-09-09

"Used to be a good place to work, but now there's too much politics"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Chicago, IL
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Jump Trading full-time

Pros

Decent work environment, if you can handle the whole open concept type of seating arrangements. Pay seems pretty good.

Cons

Too much politics. Either you're in the group of golden children or you're definitely not. Too many high-level people, yet not very good project management.

Advice to Management

Go back to the way things used to be several years ago.

Jump Trading2019-07-16
  8. "Fantastic Place"

Current Employee - Algorithmic Trader in New York, NY

I have been working at Jump Trading full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay cut ratio is fabulous.

Cons

Algo trading industry as a whole is saturating.

Advice to Management

Explore more asset classes.

Jump Trading2019-04-11

"Great place but needs improvement."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Jump Trading full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits are competitive, generous compensation structure.

Cons

Senior management has very little experience with running a firm like Jump. This means many people making decisions for the organization who don't understand the downstream effects.

Advice to Management

Focus on the long-term projects and big picture.

Jump Trading2019-04-05

"Great company that values employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Jump Trading full-time for less than a year

Pros

To preface this, I have only been working here for a short while, but the message I experience and receive over and over again is that Jump seriously cares about making their employees happy. For anonymity I won't share my job title, but I work in one of the technology teams. First of all, the benefits for this company are absolutely INSANE. Sign-on bonus is more than enough to cover first few months of rent, plus... furniture, plus miscellaneous moving expense, and still give you many thousands left over. 401k is top notch. My contract has Jump matching half of my contributions up to the annual maximum. They provide very good dental, vision, and health options. I pay almost nothing for my health insurance. My boss is very lax on a lot of things (clock in/out times for instance), and has also made some pretty generous concessions in order to make me feel comfortable and happy. Paid time off is an entire month! It's more common you'll see half a month in the broader workforce. When I got my job offer, I felt I had no right to negotiate any part of it because the compensation and benefits are absolutely stunning. I can afford to live in a very expensive district in Chicago and have enough money left over to contribute maximally to the 401k, while also paying off loans, putting money in the stock market, and making an emergency fund.

Cons

The work has almost no meaning besides "make money for the company." There is no broader sense that the work you do benefits society in general. I came from a previous employer that did projects that had measurable impacts on society, but Jump isn't really like that. The company's entire goal is to make money off the stock market. Not very interesting if you ask me, but hey, that's life. Also not much room for... growth. The organization is pretty flat compared to other companies, so while you will certainly be compensated fairly generously for working here, there is a pretty short path to the ceiling of career advancement.

Jump Trading2019-02-19