LateRooms.com Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Hugo Kimber

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • City centre location was perfect, and close to transport links made it ideal for me really (in 12 reviews)

• Great office, some great people and a good culture (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of direction of the company (in 3 reviews)

• company appears to have no direction (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A business made by it's people"

I have been working at LateRooms.com full-time

Pros

LateRooms is and always has been a fun place to work. The people are great and the culture is collaborative and inclusive.

The people don’t take themselves too seriously, and you are always given opportunities to try new things or come up with new ideas. This ethos has continued in the new direction that we are taking, in reinventing our business and strategy to adapt to the changing market.

The career progression is great, with my role evolving over the years bringing lots of different opportunities. The business moves at a fast pace, meaning that we often see a lot of change and that can be difficult for some. Personally, I view that as a positive as it has brought so much more variety to my career than I would have experienced elsewhere.

Cons

At times the business has felt a little directionless and didn’t seem to have a true identity. Constant change is hard and in trying to keep ahead of a fast paced market, you are always going to experience large amounts of ambiguity. Often that has meant that the communication hasn't been at it's best, and people have felt confused about how to add value or felt that their time has been wasted on projects that became low priorities.

Advice to Management

Communication is key – make sure that everyone understands the direction and feels that they are part of the journey. Celebrate successes more and keep momentum with key priorities.

2. "Dollar"

Former Employee - Call Center Agent in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Call Center Agent in Manchester, England

I worked at LateRooms.com (More than a year)

Pros

Money money money.. you get money

Cons

Repetitive, very boring and tedious

Advice to Management

Fix up

3. "Mixed Opinions"

I have been working at LateRooms.com full-time

Pros

There are lots of good people to make going to work more enjoyable. The offices are in a good, central location.

Cons

There is little job security, which is only made worse by the severe lack of communication across the business.

Advice to Management

Sort out a strategy

21 May 2018 – Executive Chairman

I am glad to hear that you enjoy your colleagues and our location, also that you are currently still an employee. We make a lot of information available and as you know I personally write to everyone... More

4. "If your face fits, you will do well"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England

I worked at LateRooms.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laterooms can be a really good atmosphere to work in, with lots of good people who are willing to work hard.

Cons

Unfortunately, a lot of the departments feel very cliquey, and if you do not fit in with them, then your nose will get pushed out. Fortunately, a lot of these people are now being let go in a recent round of redundancies. lets hope that any new people that come into the business will be recognised by their talent and not by who their "mates" are.

Salary is generally uncompetetive. However, the company is good at promotiong from within, so you will get a good opportunity to learn a new skill, and get your foot in the door for a more promosing role elsewhere with the experience.

Advice to Management

Focus on staff retention. Help us to help you.

16 May 2018 – Executive Chairman

Thanks for your feedback. I am encouraged that you feel there is a good atmosphere and opportunities for development at LateRooms. However I am sorry to learn that you feel the company is cliquey and... More

5. "Talented people, don't ignore them."

I worked at LateRooms.com full-time

Pros

The people are generally incredibly respectful and willing to listen and aide learning in any way.
    central office

Cons

non-competitive salary
    company appears to have no direction
    frequent redundancies

Advice to Management

you have very talented people working there, treat them with respect and listen to them and you have a good chance of saving laterooms

15 May 2018 – Executive Chairman

Thanks for your review. I am sorry that you do not feel the company has direction, even as we are clearly delivering our new platform and B2B proposition and communicating this weekly. We do have... More

"Once a great business, then times got hard. Now there's a promising future ahead..."

Current Employee - IT in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - IT in Manchester, England

I have been working at LateRooms.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There's been a few negative reviews on here recently and as a current employee I wanted to say what I felt from the coal face. I suspect many of the recent reviews have been from people who have unfortunately been made redundant. This is never a nice thing to have to deal with, and I can understand their upset.

LateRooms is suffering the same fate as many of its competitors, in that it's costing more and more to acquire customers, while meanwhile their commission margins are being squeezed by the hotel chains. This has left LateRooms in a position where they need to check the sums, and see what they can do to make money.

The CEO Hugo is a man who (despite his taste in socks!) knows the travel business, and has seen a gap in the market offering a combination of travel and activity booking along with original high quality guides and content. However he - and the wider business - realise that throwing more money at the same business model isn't going to work, so is starting to pivot to a B2B model where this new platform can be sold or licensed to partners - maybe big travel companies who already sell tickets for their transportation but have no guides or content, for example.

So, while LateRooms.com ticks along, making money (and it does still make money) that money is being invested into building a brand new platform. While we do that, some savings needed to be made (referring to the redundancies).

From an IT point of view this is extremely exciting - it's not often you get the chance to work on a green field project, using the latest technologies (and not just because they're the latest technologies, actually because they are the best for the job).

We're building a React.js website with GraphQL running on Node.js which connects to C# .Net Core APIs. The whole thing is hosted in Docker containers running in Rancher. It's complicated, but challenging - and I know being challenged is something I get out of bed for.

Away from the technology, we're a good team. Sure some of the managers can either be too distant, or too involved but overall they care about getting the right thing done. It's been nice to have some consistency too for a change with some managers who have been there throughout the year - and actually doing one to ones. And actually caring about career progression.

We’re on the edge of the city centre, so we’ve never too far away from food and drink, and there's a Co-op food shop next door. We’ve got free tea and coffee and we have fridges, microwaves and crockery - which I know some large nearby businesses don't have!

The company throw Summer and Christmas parties, usually at a bar in town and they’re always a good excuse to relax. And I find bar queues are a great leveller - last summer I had a long chat with Hugo while waiting to get served. He seems very approachable and seemed to care how I was getting on.

Cons

Some negatives? Well, there is a risk that if the result of us pivoting doesn't work out, we could all be stuffed. I guess that's true in any business these days? Things look optimistic at the moment though.

Sometimes it can feel there is lack of direction or clarity. This has reduced over the past 12 months (as we used to just swing from one poorly thought out idea to the next with no value realisation performed). If you’re someone who doesn't enjoy moving at a face pace, learning new technologies quickly on the job, and requires a long term project plan to work from - this place isn't for you.

Oh, and that proximity to town I mentioned earlier - don't expect to maintain a slim waistline with all the trips to Yard & Coop/This & That/Tim Hortons...

Advice to Management

My only advice is to keep up the open dialogue. It's been nice to hear the negatives in the company briefings (rather than sweep them under the carpet).

Remember that not everyone is always on the same wavelength as you - keep reminding people of what we need to do and why we need to do it.

Keep rewarding people too. If the next 6 months of work lines the company's pockets make sure you give some big “thank you”s out to the people who built it for you. Don't take IT staff for granted. We’re in high demand in Manchester - we can go work elsewhere if we don't feel respected or rewarded adequately, and replacing us is not an easy task.

18 Apr 2018 – Executive Chairman

Thanks for the positive review even if that didn't include my socks! It's great to see that our direction makes sense to you and thanks for the advice on communication which is very important to us... More

7. "It's a time of change...and that's a good thing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I have been working at LateRooms.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you don't shy away from a challenge, like solving puzzles, and enjoy working on something completely new in the marketplace then take a look here.

Laterooms finds itself at a point where the nature of the business is changing more than it has done at any other time. Laterooms has always been an online travel-agent selling hotel rooms. This place in the market is extremely competitive and continuing to grow a business in this single 'hotel-only' space is obviously becoming more difficult. As such Laterooms has taken the decision to evolve, creating a new brand and a new platform that will allow us to sell much more than just hotel rooms and offer customers much more choice and flexibility when it comes to their travel plans.

This evolution means Laterooms is changing from being an online travel agent to being a technology company. This is new and different, and even a little scary at times but it's absolutely the right direction for Laterooms, and it will allow us to move into new areas of the travel market and provide products that customers and business partners are telling us they want.

Other Pros:
    - Great colleagues

- No egos or hidden agendas

- Clear and honest communication from the Board and Senior Leadership team, opportunities to ask questions and/or challenge this info (either in public or private)

- Relaxed dress code (no stuffy shirts and ties here)

- Flexible working hours (want to start at 8am and finish at 4pm - do it. Want to start at 10am and finish at 6pm - that's fine)

- Good up-to-date kit (laptops, monitors, touch-screen standup screens etc)

- Nice office with great views across Manchester and the North West (when it isn't raining) and you can't underestimate how good it is to be only 5mins walk from Manchester City Centre when you need a last minute Birthday or Christmas present

- Arcade Machine with 999 games

- Lavazza Coffee Machine

Cons

Very few, and I think any company might have the same challenges:

- The marketplace changes very quickly and we need to respond to that - if you like to know what you'll be working on in 3 months, and it not change, this isn't the place for you

- The evolving nature of Laterooms isn't for everyone. If you aren't comfortable with change it may feel scary and chaotic (but there is method to the madness)

- We still have some legacy code and apps that need love from time to time (doesn't everyone?)

9 Apr 2018 – Talent Partner

Great to hear your positive feedback, and really pleased that you have had a positive experience with LateRooms.com :-)

8. "Shadow of former self and rudderless ship"

I worked at LateRooms.com full-time

Pros

Office well located - although looking aged now
    Some good, experienced staff still left
    Holiday Allowance
    Boozy nights for Easter/Summer/Xmas - if thats your thing

Cons

Few benefits other than the usual cycle to work scheme etc which are standard across most businesses.
    Poor company performance - poor budgeting - never hit budget/targets - always an excuse.
    No bonuses
    Company makes redundancies regulary
    Politicians answers all the time - CEO master of talking without saying anything
    Strategies knee jerk and often not followed through on
    Website not changed in a few years due to focus on 3rd brand - falling way behind competition
    No investment in people
    Appears the owners are streamlining ready to resell ASAP

Advice to Management

Sell to someone that understands this market.

13 Apr 2018 – Executive Chairman

I am disappointed to learn that you have not felt excited or informed about the transformation taking place in our company. We make a lot of effort to provide information to employees and actively... More

9. "New owners have no clue"

I worked at LateRooms.com full-time

Pros

Modern offices, flexible working, great people/team, used to be a great place to work

Cons

Since the Tui sold the business its just been in decline, the new owners are not investing in the right places and are trying to create a 3rd brand that makes no sense to anyone!

Advice to Management

Invest in the brands you have rather than trying to create a 3rd brand. You have missed the boat already!

14 Mar 2018 – Executive Chairman

Since acquiring LateRooms the new owners have spent millions of pounds on brand advertising and completing IT developments to support the brand and its sister brand Superbreak, so no investment is... More

10. "Awful"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I worked at LateRooms.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Was supposed to be a new challenge and career progression

Cons

No communication regarding what information you need to fo your job. if you’re face doesnt fit, no one will help you. Line manager utterly incompetent.

Advice to Management

Provide proper training and company information. Better monitoring of your managers.

6 Apr 2018 – Head of Talent

Thank you for your feedback and comments. It’s disappointing to hear that your experience didn’t measure up to your expectations and that you didn’t feel able to raise your concerns during you time... More