LateRooms.com Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

UK - All Cities

3.2
Hugo Kimber

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "City centre location was perfect, and close to transport links made it ideal for me really" (in 12 reviews)

• "Enjoyed my time with the company, was full of lots of great people who became friends" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Lack of direction of the company" (in 3 reviews)

• "company appears to have no direction" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Dollar"

Former Employee - Call Center Agent in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Call Center Agent in Manchester, England

I worked at LateRooms.com (More than a year)

Pros

Money money money.. you get money

Cons

Repetitive, very boring and tedious

Advice to Management

Fix up

"Negative atmosphere"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I have been working at LateRooms.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are really great, I enjoy working them and some became friends.
    Technologies being used are quite up to date and nice to work with.
    Good communication with weekly emails and monthly town halls.
    Good company benefits.

Cons

Profit is made by redundancies and cutting costs which has caused a lot of negativity in the past. The salary is not really competitive and the management lacks of listening to their people. That's probably why the company is suffering from loosing their most valuable employees. They can't even keep lots of new hired people for too long.
    By not hiring enough well-skilled people in order to compensate people leaving, the product development stagnates, causing an unfinished product to be sold to companies and developers to work over hours to deliver and stress themselves out.

Nevertheless, by working with modern technologies you can build up your skill set and CV, which helps getting the foot in the door for better roles elsewhere.

Advice to Management

You have made some changes to the company benefits to stop people leaving, with things like increasing the annual leave, holiday carry over, company voucher etc. but the major issue has not changed at all, which is the bad management attitude. That's why you will keep loosing people.

5 Feb 2019 – HR Assistant

Thank you for taking the time to share the review. Here at Late Rooms we work hard to engage our people and have recently added a host of new employee benefits (including increase in annual leave... More

"Great tech, great team"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Manchester City Centre, England
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Manchester City Centre, England

I worked at LateRooms.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The most innovative and helpful IT team I have ever worked with. Lots of socialising outside of work which every so often would be attended by one of the directors who was happy to pick up the tab. Really friendly and helpful colleagues who were happy to assist and share. A bleeding edge tech stack for the new developments. Good communication at townhalls

Cons

Having to occasionally support the legacy stack.
    Other parts of the company were reducing in size as the focus changes which did affect the atmosphere

Advice to Management

Invest in the new tech and retire the old. Keep paying attention to the social side of things

9 Aug 2018 – Talent Partner

Thank you for your review. So great to hear that you have had such a positive experience at LateRooms.

"Average"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I worked at LateRooms.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Enjoyed my time with the company, was full of lots of great people who became friends. Lot's of scope for creation and not micro-managed!

Cons

Little progression to be made and the company is going downhill rapidly. The IT department seem to be very unaware of what is happening with the rest of the business (eg. redundancies etc) as nothing is shared between the two sides of the business.

"If your face fits, you will do well"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England

I worked at LateRooms.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laterooms can be a really good atmosphere to work in, with lots of good people who are willing to work hard.

Cons

Unfortunately, a lot of the departments feel very cliquey, and if you do not fit in with them, then your nose will get pushed out. Fortunately, a lot of these people are now being let go in a recent round of redundancies. lets hope that any new people that come into the business will be recognised by their talent and not by who their "mates" are.

Salary is generally uncompetetive. However, the company is good at promotiong from within, so you will get a good opportunity to learn a new skill, and get your foot in the door for a more promosing role elsewhere with the experience.

Advice to Management

Focus on staff retention. Help us to help you.

16 May 2018 – Executive Chairman

Thanks for your feedback. I am encouraged that you feel there is a good atmosphere and opportunities for development at LateRooms. However I am sorry to learn that you feel the company is cliquey and... More

"Once a great business, then times got hard. Now there's a promising future ahead..."

Current Employee - IT in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - IT in Manchester, England

I have been working at LateRooms.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There's been a few negative reviews on here recently and as a current employee I wanted to say what I felt from the coal face. I suspect many of the recent reviews have been from people who have unfortunately been made redundant. This is never a nice thing to have to deal with, and I can understand their upset.

LateRooms is suffering the same fate as many of its competitors, in that it's costing more and more to acquire customers, while meanwhile their commission margins are being squeezed by the hotel chains. This has left LateRooms in a position where they need to check the sums, and see what they can do to make money.

The CEO Hugo is a man who (despite his taste in socks!) knows the travel business, and has seen a gap in the market offering a combination of travel and activity booking along with original high quality guides and content. However he - and the wider business - realise that throwing more money at the same business model isn't going to work, so is starting to pivot to a B2B model where this new platform can be sold or licensed to partners - maybe big travel companies who already sell tickets for their transportation but have no guides or content, for example.

So, while LateRooms.com ticks along, making money (and it does still make money) that money is being invested into building a brand new platform. While we do that, some savings needed to be made (referring to the redundancies).

From an IT point of view this is extremely exciting - it's not often you get the chance to work on a green field project, using the latest technologies (and not just because they're the latest technologies, actually because they are the best for the job).

We're building a React.js website with GraphQL running on Node.js which connects to C# .Net Core APIs. The whole thing is hosted in Docker containers running in Rancher. It's complicated, but challenging - and I know being challenged is something I get out of bed for.

Away from the technology, we're a good team. Sure some of the managers can either be too distant, or too involved but overall they care about getting the right thing done. It's been nice to have some consistency too for a change with some managers who have been there throughout the year - and actually doing one to ones. And actually caring about career progression.

We’re on the edge of the city centre, so we’ve never too far away from food and drink, and there's a Co-op food shop next door. We’ve got free tea and coffee and we have fridges, microwaves and crockery - which I know some large nearby businesses don't have!

The company throw Summer and Christmas parties, usually at a bar in town and they’re always a good excuse to relax. And I find bar queues are a great leveller - last summer I had a long chat with Hugo while waiting to get served. He seems very approachable and seemed to care how I was getting on.

Cons

Some negatives? Well, there is a risk that if the result of us pivoting doesn't work out, we could all be stuffed. I guess that's true in any business these days? Things look optimistic at the moment though.

Sometimes it can feel there is lack of direction or clarity. This has reduced over the past 12 months (as we used to just swing from one poorly thought out idea to the next with no value realisation performed). If you’re someone who doesn't enjoy moving at a face pace, learning new technologies quickly on the job, and requires a long term project plan to work from - this place isn't for you.

Oh, and that proximity to town I mentioned earlier - don't expect to maintain a slim waistline with all the trips to Yard & Coop/This & That/Tim Hortons...

Advice to Management

My only advice is to keep up the open dialogue. It's been nice to hear the negatives in the company briefings (rather than sweep them under the carpet).

Remember that not everyone is always on the same wavelength as you - keep reminding people of what we need to do and why we need to do it.

Keep rewarding people too. If the next 6 months of work lines the company's pockets make sure you give some big “thank you”s out to the people who built it for you. Don't take IT staff for granted. We’re in high demand in Manchester - we can go work elsewhere if we don't feel respected or rewarded adequately, and replacing us is not an easy task.

18 Apr 2018 – Executive Chairman

Thanks for the positive review even if that didn't include my socks! It's great to see that our direction makes sense to you and thanks for the advice on communication which is very important to us... More

7. "It's a time of change...and that's a good thing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I have been working at LateRooms.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you don't shy away from a challenge, like solving puzzles, and enjoy working on something completely new in the marketplace then take a look here.

Laterooms finds itself at a point where the nature of the business is changing more than it has done at any other time. Laterooms has always been an online travel-agent selling hotel rooms. This place in the market is extremely competitive and continuing to grow a business in this single 'hotel-only' space is obviously becoming more difficult. As such Laterooms has taken the decision to evolve, creating a new brand and a new platform that will allow us to sell much more than just hotel rooms and offer customers much more choice and flexibility when it comes to their travel plans.

This evolution means Laterooms is changing from being an online travel agent to being a technology company. This is new and different, and even a little scary at times but it's absolutely the right direction for Laterooms, and it will allow us to move into new areas of the travel market and provide products that customers and business partners are telling us they want.

Other Pros:
    - Great colleagues

- No egos or hidden agendas

- Clear and honest communication from the Board and Senior Leadership team, opportunities to ask questions and/or challenge this info (either in public or private)

- Relaxed dress code (no stuffy shirts and ties here)

- Flexible working hours (want to start at 8am and finish at 4pm - do it. Want to start at 10am and finish at 6pm - that's fine)

- Good up-to-date kit (laptops, monitors, touch-screen standup screens etc)

- Nice office with great views across Manchester and the North West (when it isn't raining) and you can't underestimate how good it is to be only 5mins walk from Manchester City Centre when you need a last minute Birthday or Christmas present

- Arcade Machine with 999 games

- Lavazza Coffee Machine

Cons

Very few, and I think any company might have the same challenges:

- The marketplace changes very quickly and we need to respond to that - if you like to know what you'll be working on in 3 months, and it not change, this isn't the place for you

- The evolving nature of Laterooms isn't for everyone. If you aren't comfortable with change it may feel scary and chaotic (but there is method to the madness)

- We still have some legacy code and apps that need love from time to time (doesn't everyone?)

9 Apr 2018 – Talent Partner

Great to hear your positive feedback, and really pleased that you have had a positive experience with LateRooms.com :-)

"Awful"

I worked at LateRooms.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Was supposed to be a new challenge and career progression

Cons

No communication regarding what information you need to fo your job. if you’re face doesnt fit, no one will help you. Line manager utterly incompetent.

Advice to Management

Provide proper training and company information. Better monitoring of your managers.

6 Apr 2018 – Head of Talent

Thank you for your feedback and comments. It’s disappointing to hear that your experience didn’t measure up to your expectations and that you didn’t feel able to raise your concerns during you time... More

9. "Good culture"

Former Employee - Automation Analyst in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Automation Analyst in Manchester, England

I worked at LateRooms.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great people, very friendly
    - Manager was very understanding of any difficulties
    - Very relaxed atmosphere
    - Great hours
    - Good work / life balance

Cons

- Dev environments needed work
    - Some projects dragged on and failed because they didn't have the required support

"The People Make It"

I worked at LateRooms.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked with some of the most talented, friendly, dedicated and passionate people I've ever worked with. On the whole, it was a pleasant environment and the PAs worked tirelessly to ensure delivery of events & engagement activities.

I will miss LateRooms.

Cons

In my particular role there was limited scope for progression. You also find that it can become "dead mans shoes"... Some employees in more senior roles were overpaid for the work that they were performing/expected to complete and so found that the golden handcuffs kept them in place which was frustrating for the more active, driven people below them. It could be stifling at times.

There were often periods of a lack of focus, or direction, and the general consensus was that no one felt that they knew what they were striving to achieve, which was a shame, as with the appropriate calling, employees would have reacted and were more than capable of delivering on any project given.

There were a lot of "closed door" conversations, which was unsettling for everyone, with little communication from the SLT to middle management, and in turn to employees.

Advice to Management

Invest in people development - there was little available for employees / middle management with the primary focus being on the leadership team, and little ROI was visible to the rest of the company.

Communicate more - employees are passionate about what they do and can deliver, but often feel that they are being purposefully omitted from key conversations, or worse, misled.