LateRooms.com Reviews

Updated Aug 31, 2021

Found 51 of over 102 reviews

3.5
LateRooms.com Executive Chairman Hugo Kimber (no image)
Hugo Kimber
Pros
  • "City centre location was perfect, and close to transport links made it ideal for me really(in 12 reviews)

• "Enjoyed my time with the company, was full of lots of great people who became friends(in 9 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Senior management seems to have its head up its bottom(in 9 reviews)

• "Profit is made by redundancies and cutting costs which has caused a lot of negativity in the past(in 9 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee

Good place to work

Nov 5, 2020 - User Experience Manager in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Enjoyed my time there - good people

Cons

Shame the company had to close down

2. 4.0
      Current Employee

CRM Exec

Aug 31, 2021 - CRM Executive in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nice place to work, great people

Cons

very revenue driven and sent emails everyday to more or less everyone.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Learnt so much

Feb 9, 2020 - Software Developer in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Relaxed friendly fun with some real culture both in terms of the work and social

Cons

Pay wasn’t the best

4. 5.0

Review

Jul 10, 2019 - Customer Service in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good work life balance, management easy to talk to

Cons

nothing really, all just fine.

5. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Hoping everything works out ok

Jul 13, 2019 - IT Analyst in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The majority of the people are hard working, friendly and will genuinely help you out and make you feel welcome. I worked at LR for many years and count a lot of colleagues as friends. The office location is good and near enough to transport and places to eat. The company benefits recently got improved, including holidays and staff vouchers. Working hours are relatively flexible depending on your manager. Moving jobs/positions within the company is good, they will generally give you a lot of support if you're changing roles in the business. The technologies are pretty up to date. Agile way of working.

Cons

The salary is truly awful compared to the average in the area. Bad vibes in the Manchester office which all seem to centre around one specific staff member. No one seems to believe in the product. No one knows what the target audience is and the relevent teams don't appear to be given any resources to properly research who the product is aimed at. People losing faith in the company following on from recent news articles regarding missed payments and share prices falling. I see in a lot of reviews on here that the company respond to, advising people to raise concerns with managers/HR, but the same issues get raised over and over again and the people who are at fault never get reprimanded. It's a shame as the company used to be a global business with offices around the globe catering for many different countries. I'd really like to see Laterooms thrive again and be what it used to be in the market place.

6. 3.0
      Former Employee

Lack of direction, bad management

May 29, 2019 - Market Executive in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nice HQ Office in Manchester; OK Work/Life balance

Cons

Lack of direction; The product was not competitive; Impossible to meet the targets.

HR Assistant

Thank you for the positive feedback on our office environment and culture. We work really hard to ensure our employees receive a good work/life balance through our flexible working practices. We are sorry that you felt that the expectations placed upon your role were un-achievable. Over the last few years we have undergone a huge transformation, shifting towards a B2B proposition, while maintaining the performance of our existing B2C brands. We communicated plans through various communication channels, company away days and business objectives, which are reviewed regularly. We are pleased to have gone live with UK National partners, and have ambitious plans for our future growth, while bringing our people along this exciting journey.

7. 1.0

Think Twice

Jun 20, 2019 - IT Manager in Manchester City Centre, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I worked with some great people at LateRooms.

Cons

To many inexperienced Managers trying to run major parts of the business, resulting in a mass Exodus of talented people.

HR Assistant

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and we are pleased to hear that you worked with some great colleagues too. Our Talent Acquisition strategy is focused on achieving a mixed balance between internal promotion and hiring external candidates when recruiting for leadership and management positions. All leaders and managers partake in a leadership and management development programme to help them integrate into their new roles. All employees receive support and development in their roles through regular feedback in line with our performance and development process as well as access to development programmes. There is always room for improvement but we will continue to support to grow and develop our employees.

8. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Toxic atmosphere, constant loss of staff, poor pay rates and misdirected

Jun 10, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good annual leave (increased at start of 2019 as struggling to recruit/retain staff) Some flexibility in working hours Get £100 voucher to spend on Sperbreak.com per year. If you do really well and someone leaves, you get to do their work too. Current acting CTO (and owner) Hugo Kimber is a great guy, open and honest with a good outlook for the company.

Cons

Toxic atmosphere. SLT are misdirected by SMT People in higher technical positions are not technical and have no clue how things work. Do not pay market rate. When someone leaves, they are generally not replaced like for like, responsabilites dived between whoever is left or replacement is a junior /less experienced role forcing a dilution in skills and more pressure other team members. HR ignore staffs advice on how to improve. Money is tight, the investors have had no return on their investment in the new brand and therefore will not invest any more monies. Stupid decisions are made which result in costing the company money, where this money could be invested in staff or equipment. Company is being swallowed up by bigger fish in market, each year decreases in size and profits, future outlook not looking too great.

3 people found this review helpful

HR Assistant

Thank you for the detailed review. We appreciate the feedback regarding the company benefits as the business as undertaken a huge amount of work to enhance LateRooms.com benefits and appreciate our employees for all their hard work. You are right, recruitment is highly competitive in Manchester and we have been focusing our efforts around how we attract and retain the best talent as needed for the business. The company has undergone a huge amount of transformation, shifting from a B2C only proposition to incorporate B2B and have seen great success with on-boarding UK national partners. This is a growing part of our business, but we are still maintaining our existing consumer brands all lead by Hugo Kimber our Executive Chairman. We are sorry that you didn't feel we took your suggestions or feedback on board as we work hard to operate an open a door policy for any employee to raise questions or suggestions. This can be either to any member of the management team or HR through various forums like our Company town halls, Q&A with the board, Ask HR forums etc. If you would like to discuss this feedback, please don't hesitate to get in touch via HR@malvern.group.

9. 2.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Negative atmosphere

Feb 1, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people are really great, I enjoy working them and some became friends. Technologies being used are quite up to date and nice to work with. Good communication with weekly emails and monthly town halls. Good company benefits.

Cons

Profit is made by redundancies and cutting costs which has caused a lot of negativity in the past. The salary is not really competitive and the management lacks of listening to their people. That's probably why the company is suffering from loosing their most valuable employees. They can't even keep lots of new hired people for too long. By not hiring enough well-skilled people in order to compensate people leaving, the product development stagnates, causing an unfinished product to be sold to companies and developers to work over hours to deliver and stress themselves out. Nevertheless, by working with modern technologies you can build up your skill set and CV, which helps getting the foot in the door for better roles elsewhere.

7 people found this review helpful

HR Assistant

Thank you for taking the time to share the review. Here at Late Rooms we work hard to engage our people and have recently added a host of new employee benefits (including increase in annual leave, introduction of a new healthcare cash plan scheme and annual travel experiences voucher) to our already existing benefits package. Our remuneration package including Company benefits is regularly reviewed to ensure that it remains competitive. It’s always disappointing to hear if someone feels they have not received a positive experience with us. Our people are the driving force behind what we do and we highly value the feedback provided by our employees. This is why we operate an open door policy and have a number of communication channels that encourage two way feedback such as our Town Halls, Q&A sessions directly with the Board, “Ask HR” forums, employee engagement surveys and through 1:1’s with line managers etc. Our talent acquisition and onboarding process is designed to hire suitably qualified candidates for our vacancies and where required support their development. The business has altered significantly to enable us to successfully deliver on its B2B strategy while maintaining our existing B2Cs brands. If you would like to speak with us directly about your experience, then please to a member of the management team or the HR team as we would appreciate the opportunity to your feedback through with you.

10. 4.0

Great tech, great team

Aug 8, 2018 - Software Developer in Manchester City Centre, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The most innovative and helpful IT team I have ever worked with. Lots of socialising outside of work which every so often would be attended by one of the directors who was happy to pick up the tab. Really friendly and helpful colleagues who were happy to assist and share. A bleeding edge tech stack for the new developments. Good communication at townhalls

Cons

Having to occasionally support the legacy stack. Other parts of the company were reducing in size as the focus changes which did affect the atmosphere

Talent Partner

Thank you for your review. So great to hear that you have had such a positive experience at LateRooms.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 51 Reviews