LateRooms.com Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 5 September 2018

3.2
Hugo Kimber

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "City centre location was perfect, and close to transport links made it ideal for me really" (in 12 reviews)

• "Enjoyed my time with the company, was full of lots of great people who became friends" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Lack of direction of the company" (in 3 reviews)

• "company appears to have no direction" (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A business made by it's people"

I have been working at LateRooms.com full-time

Pros

LateRooms is and always has been a fun place to work. The people are great and the culture is collaborative and inclusive.

The people don’t take themselves too seriously, and you are always given opportunities to try new things or come up with new ideas. This ethos has continued in the new direction that we are taking, in reinventing our business and strategy to adapt to the changing market.

The career progression is great, with my role evolving over the years bringing lots of different opportunities. The business moves at a fast pace, meaning that we often see a lot of change and that can be difficult for some. Personally, I view that as a positive as it has brought so much more variety to my career than I would have experienced elsewhere.

Cons

At times the business has felt a little directionless and didn’t seem to have a true identity. Constant change is hard and in trying to keep ahead of a fast paced market, you are always going to experience large amounts of ambiguity. Often that has meant that the communication hasn't been at it's best, and people have felt confused about how to add value or felt that their time has been wasted on projects that became low priorities.

Advice to Management

Communication is key – make sure that everyone understands the direction and feels that they are part of the journey. Celebrate successes more and keep momentum with key priorities.

2. "Dollar"

Former Employee - Call Center Agent in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Call Center Agent in Manchester, England

I worked at LateRooms.com (More than a year)

Pros

Money money money.. you get money

Cons

Repetitive, very boring and tedious

Advice to Management

Fix up

"Senior Market Manager"

I worked at LateRooms.com full-time

Pros

Lovely people and UK based company

Cons

The company in losing money and business focus. The ship is sinking..

Advice to Management

Be honest and invest in the brands that are still making some money

7 Sep 2018 – Executive Chairman

Thanks for your review and good to hear that you liked your colleagues. As we have regularly communicated, the company is rotating towards new B2B revenue streams and to support this is making... More

"Great people, good atmosphere and those who work hard are rewarded"

I have been working at LateRooms.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work life balance - flexible start times, ability to work from different locations
    Opportunities to learn for everyone, good career development for those wanting to learn new skills or take a total new career path, promotions within strengthen possibilities for those wanting progress,
    Collaborative culture is promoted across IT everyone is willing to get involved and help out. I have read reviews calling out bullying/sexist I have never once experienced this in the environment I work in. The CTO does have a close team with the IT SLT (wouldn’t exactly call them yes men for starters their not all men) but I have always found the team approachable and reasonable when I have needed their input. The CTO has an open door policy as does the CEO it is a very open and relaxed environment where people pull together to achieve common goals - a rarity in my experience of IT!
    Ideas are listened to and taken on board for anything from new initiatives to improvements. No blame is portioned if ideas don’t pay off; we fail fast, learn and move on.
    Very social group of people always willing to grab a drink after work or sort out a team lunch, people genuinely work to keep the atmosphere positive and upbeat. CTO & IT SLT try to show the teams they are valued as much as possible especially during periods of change.
    Pay is good but it also depends on what you value in your workplace as there are far more benefits than just your wage; dress down, culture and atmosphere, autonomy in your role, decent office location, tea & coffee and the people.
    Promotions are deserved and not allocated to favoured staff like in some places.

Cons

certain people (some in management) dont have great self awarness and dont understand that they can come across as insensitive/negative but luckily this is only a handful of staff it would just be nice to see this more actively managed/developed.

Advice to Management

communication tends to lag behind the gossips; leadership need to work on being more agile here - it doesnt have to be perfect but get it out there before the gossips do! (Brave & Decisive?)

14 Aug 2018 – Talent Manager

Thank you for review. Great to see that you have had a good response with LateRooms.com. We are grateful for your feedback and will look at where we can improve our communication channels.

"Great tech, great team"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Manchester City Centre, England
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Manchester City Centre, England

I worked at LateRooms.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The most innovative and helpful IT team I have ever worked with. Lots of socialising outside of work which every so often would be attended by one of the directors who was happy to pick up the tab. Really friendly and helpful colleagues who were happy to assist and share. A bleeding edge tech stack for the new developments. Good communication at townhalls

Cons

Having to occasionally support the legacy stack.
    Other parts of the company were reducing in size as the focus changes which did affect the atmosphere

Advice to Management

Invest in the new tech and retire the old. Keep paying attention to the social side of things

9 Aug 2018 – Talent Partner

Thank you for your review. So great to hear that you have had such a positive experience at LateRooms.

"Average"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I worked at LateRooms.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Enjoyed my time with the company, was full of lots of great people who became friends. Lot's of scope for creation and not micro-managed!

Cons

Little progression to be made and the company is going downhill rapidly. The IT department seem to be very unaware of what is happening with the rest of the business (eg. redundancies etc) as nothing is shared between the two sides of the business.

"Good working environment"

Pros

- Modern Offices
    - Good training
    - Attractive financial bonuses

Cons

- Floored KPI system
    - Lack of micro-management

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate KPI system

"Mixed Opinions"

I have been working at LateRooms.com full-time

Pros

There are lots of good people to make going to work more enjoyable. The offices are in a good, central location.

Cons

There is little job security, which is only made worse by the severe lack of communication across the business.

Advice to Management

Sort out a strategy

21 May 2018 – Executive Chairman

I am glad to hear that you enjoy your colleagues and our location, also that you are currently still an employee. We make a lot of information available and as you know I personally write to everyone... More

"If your face fits, you will do well"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England

I worked at LateRooms.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laterooms can be a really good atmosphere to work in, with lots of good people who are willing to work hard.

Cons

Unfortunately, a lot of the departments feel very cliquey, and if you do not fit in with them, then your nose will get pushed out. Fortunately, a lot of these people are now being let go in a recent round of redundancies. lets hope that any new people that come into the business will be recognised by their talent and not by who their "mates" are.

Salary is generally uncompetetive. However, the company is good at promotiong from within, so you will get a good opportunity to learn a new skill, and get your foot in the door for a more promosing role elsewhere with the experience.

Advice to Management

Focus on staff retention. Help us to help you.

16 May 2018 – Executive Chairman

Thanks for your feedback. I am encouraged that you feel there is a good atmosphere and opportunities for development at LateRooms. However I am sorry to learn that you feel the company is cliquey and... More

"Talented people, don't ignore them."

I worked at LateRooms.com full-time

Pros

The people are generally incredibly respectful and willing to listen and aide learning in any way.
    central office

Cons

non-competitive salary
    company appears to have no direction
    frequent redundancies

Advice to Management

you have very talented people working there, treat them with respect and listen to them and you have a good chance of saving laterooms

15 May 2018 – Executive Chairman

Thanks for your review. I am sorry that you do not feel the company has direction, even as we are clearly delivering our new platform and B2B proposition and communicating this weekly. We do have... More