LateRooms.com Reviews

Updated 5 Nov 2020

Found 51 of over 100 reviews

3.4
LateRooms.com Executive Chairman Hugo Kimber (no image)
Hugo Kimber
Pros
  • "City centre location was perfect, and close to transport links made it ideal for me really(in 12 reviews)

• "Enjoyed my time with the company, was full of lots of great people who became friends(in 9 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Senior management seems to have its head up its bottom(in 9 reviews)

• "Profit is made by redundancies and cutting costs which has caused a lot of negativity in the past(in 9 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee

Good place to work

5 Nov 2020 - User Experience Manager in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Enjoyed my time there - good people

Cons

Shame the company had to close down

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Learnt so much

9 Feb 2020 - Software Developer in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Relaxed friendly fun with some real culture both in terms of the work and social

Cons

Pay wasn’t the best

3. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Toxic atmosphere, constant loss of staff, poor pay rates and misdirected

10 Jun 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good annual leave (increased at start of 2019 as struggling to recruit/retain staff) Some flexibility in working hours Get £100 voucher to spend on Sperbreak.com per year. If you do really well and someone leaves, you get to do their work too. Current acting CTO (and owner) Hugo Kimber is a great guy, open and honest with a good outlook for the company.

Cons

Toxic atmosphere. SLT are misdirected by SMT People in higher technical positions are not technical and have no clue how things work. Do not pay market rate. When someone leaves, they are generally not replaced like for like, responsabilites dived between whoever is left or replacement is a junior /less experienced role forcing a dilution in skills and more pressure other team members. HR ignore staffs advice on how to improve. Money is tight, the investors have had no return on their investment in the new brand and therefore will not invest any more monies. Stupid decisions are made which result in costing the company money, where this money could be invested in staff or equipment. Company is being swallowed up by bigger fish in market, each year decreases in size and profits, future outlook not looking too great.

3 people found this review helpful

HR Assistant

Thank you for the detailed review. We appreciate the feedback regarding the company benefits as the business as undertaken a huge amount of work to enhance LateRooms.com benefits and appreciate our employees for all their hard work. You are right, recruitment is highly competitive in Manchester and we have been focusing our efforts around how we attract and retain the best talent as needed for the business. The company has undergone a huge amount of transformation, shifting from a B2C only proposition to incorporate B2B and have seen great success with on-boarding UK national partners. This is a growing part of our business, but we are still maintaining our existing consumer brands all lead by Hugo Kimber our Executive Chairman. We are sorry that you didn't feel we took your suggestions or feedback on board as we work hard to operate an open a door policy for any employee to raise questions or suggestions. This can be either to any member of the management team or HR through various forums like our Company town halls, Q&A with the board, Ask HR forums etc. If you would like to discuss this feedback, please don't hesitate to get in touch via HR@malvern.group.

4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Continuous improvement culture and staff engagement focus

11 Jun 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people are always the focus at Laterooms and have been since I started. The team work is fantastic and the opportunities for challenge and growth among staff is like nowhere I have ever worked before. There are challenges like with every changing business but the open and honest culture allows people to talk through the issues and try to work them through without fear of reproach or judgement which is refreshing. The HR team are working tirelessly on making staff benefits better and more aligned for all and they take a lot of criticism without the understanding that they are a very small team and stretched in a lot of directions. Personally I have always had someone I can turn to if I needed advice or a sounding board which cannot be said for many HR teams I have worked with previously. The absence of a CTO at present seems to have solidified the IT leadership team and allowed a more direct line into the board - feedback to this effect has been submitted to the SLT directly and it is very positive to hear that staff are secure in times of change. There are always areas to improve in any organisation but the bonus of LateRooms is that staff are listened to and the organisation as a whole are genuinely trying to make improvements wherever possible to ensure the success of the business and the people that make the place.

Cons

Things tend to take time at Laterooms when business wide change is required it would be good to see the organisation as a whole be more agile to deliver internal changes at pace. Senior people need to get out of the shrinking mindset - the organisation structure had to change to move forwards and build a new product. That product is now live and we need to shift the mentality of cost cutting and trimming down to support our future growth plans - stop challenging staff replacements with lesser roles and start to understand that we must support partners to the best of our ability and to do that we cannot run as lean as we have been in recent years.

HR Assistant

Thank you for your valuable feedback, we are happy to hear your positive thoughts on our culture and the opportunity you have had to be a apart of our exciting transformation to a B2B proposition. The business works hard to ensure that the benefits it offers, rightly awards our employees for their hard work and commitment to their roles. We know there is always room for improvement, and we are always keen to hear ideas and suggestions from all employees on how we can make this an even better place to work. As you have shared, the business needed to change to move forward and we have made great progress with this now we have gone live with a number of UK National partners. In order to continue being successful in this, we need to ensure governance is in place to ensure the right decisions are made for the business. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us again, we hope you continue to enjoy working at LateRooms.com.

5. 2.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Negative atmosphere

1 Feb 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people are really great, I enjoy working them and some became friends. Technologies being used are quite up to date and nice to work with. Good communication with weekly emails and monthly town halls. Good company benefits.

Cons

Profit is made by redundancies and cutting costs which has caused a lot of negativity in the past. The salary is not really competitive and the management lacks of listening to their people. That's probably why the company is suffering from loosing their most valuable employees. They can't even keep lots of new hired people for too long. By not hiring enough well-skilled people in order to compensate people leaving, the product development stagnates, causing an unfinished product to be sold to companies and developers to work over hours to deliver and stress themselves out. Nevertheless, by working with modern technologies you can build up your skill set and CV, which helps getting the foot in the door for better roles elsewhere.

7 people found this review helpful

HR Assistant

Thank you for taking the time to share the review. Here at Late Rooms we work hard to engage our people and have recently added a host of new employee benefits (including increase in annual leave, introduction of a new healthcare cash plan scheme and annual travel experiences voucher) to our already existing benefits package. Our remuneration package including Company benefits is regularly reviewed to ensure that it remains competitive. It’s always disappointing to hear if someone feels they have not received a positive experience with us. Our people are the driving force behind what we do and we highly value the feedback provided by our employees. This is why we operate an open door policy and have a number of communication channels that encourage two way feedback such as our Town Halls, Q&A sessions directly with the Board, “Ask HR” forums, employee engagement surveys and through 1:1’s with line managers etc. Our talent acquisition and onboarding process is designed to hire suitably qualified candidates for our vacancies and where required support their development. The business has altered significantly to enable us to successfully deliver on its B2B strategy while maintaining our existing B2Cs brands. If you would like to speak with us directly about your experience, then please to a member of the management team or the HR team as we would appreciate the opportunity to your feedback through with you.

6. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Hoping everything works out ok

13 Jul 2019 - IT Analyst in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The majority of the people are hard working, friendly and will genuinely help you out and make you feel welcome. I worked at LR for many years and count a lot of colleagues as friends. The office location is good and near enough to transport and places to eat. The company benefits recently got improved, including holidays and staff vouchers. Working hours are relatively flexible depending on your manager. Moving jobs/positions within the company is good, they will generally give you a lot of support if you're changing roles in the business. The technologies are pretty up to date. Agile way of working.

Cons

The salary is truly awful compared to the average in the area. Bad vibes in the Manchester office which all seem to centre around one specific staff member. No one seems to believe in the product. No one knows what the target audience is and the relevent teams don't appear to be given any resources to properly research who the product is aimed at. People losing faith in the company following on from recent news articles regarding missed payments and share prices falling. I see in a lot of reviews on here that the company respond to, advising people to raise concerns with managers/HR, but the same issues get raised over and over again and the people who are at fault never get reprimanded. It's a shame as the company used to be a global business with offices around the globe catering for many different countries. I'd really like to see Laterooms thrive again and be what it used to be in the market place.

7. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Review

10 Jul 2019 - Customer Service in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good work life balance, management easy to talk to

Cons

nothing really, all just fine.

8. 3.0
      Former Employee

Lack of direction, bad management

29 May 2019 - Market Executive in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nice HQ Office in Manchester; OK Work/Life balance

Cons

Lack of direction; The product was not competitive; Impossible to meet the targets.

HR Assistant

Thank you for the positive feedback on our office environment and culture. We work really hard to ensure our employees receive a good work/life balance through our flexible working practices. We are sorry that you felt that the expectations placed upon your role were un-achievable. Over the last few years we have undergone a huge transformation, shifting towards a B2B proposition, while maintaining the performance of our existing B2C brands. We communicated plans through various communication channels, company away days and business objectives, which are reviewed regularly. We are pleased to have gone live with UK National partners, and have ambitious plans for our future growth, while bringing our people along this exciting journey.

9. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Did I leave the greatest job in the world?

27 Aug 2015 - Foundation Software Developer and Chef in Salford, North West England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits including parking discount across the road, yearly bonus, good deals on cheap holidays (more difficult if you have a big family but hey it's there for the taking), plenty of food going from the monthly Pay Day Friday cakes and coffee to the 'Bake Off', these guys also know where the best curries are and are often found there for lunch. Stu the CEO and Al, his right hand man and a real champion of cultures and values are great guys that want the best for the company, are down to earth types with a good sense of humor. Everyone that was there when I left was genuine and friendly, happy to help and weather they were contractors or full timers they were, work hard play hard types and you need that in this industry. I miss the place every day (o.k. not every day) especially when I see the fun they are continuing to have in the office without me. If you know what you are ding and want to make a difference, this is an awesome place to work. Why did I leave if it's so good, well let's say I'm off to see a wall tomorrow, and it's meant to be pretty great.

Cons

A lot of their processes are still old because they grew up real big real fast. I think these should be sorted to free up the time and resources they have, even though they may not be big money spinners, they are wasting time and annoying people.

3 people found this review helpful
    10. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Think Twice

20 Jun 2019 - IT Manager in Manchester City Centre, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I worked with some great people at LateRooms.

Cons

To many inexperienced Managers trying to run major parts of the business, resulting in a mass Exodus of talented people.

HR Assistant

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and we are pleased to hear that you worked with some great colleagues too. Our Talent Acquisition strategy is focused on achieving a mixed balance between internal promotion and hiring external candidates when recruiting for leadership and management positions. All leaders and managers partake in a leadership and management development programme to help them integrate into their new roles. All employees receive support and development in their roles through regular feedback in line with our performance and development process as well as access to development programmes. There is always room for improvement but we will continue to support to grow and develop our employees.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 51 Reviews