MIT Lincoln Laboratory Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.9
MIT Lincoln Laboratory Director Eric Evans
Eric Evans
Pros
Cons
  • "Raises are kind of arbitrary and really depend on how much your Group leaders want to push for you when they all get together to determine the ladder(in 12 reviews)

• "Technical staff and senior leadership micromanage their non-technical community(in 11 reviews)

1. "great place to work for a generalist"

Current Employee - Specialist in Lexington, MA

I have been working at MIT Lincoln Laboratory full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

If you can pull together multiple disciplines, it's an amazing place to work. If you just want to keep your head down and do your one thing, it's good but you can do that anywhere. Also, the MIT benefits are stellar.

Cons

You can't really be promoted unless you have a PhD. But you can effectively be promoted by gaining reputation, working on bigger things and being put in charge of stuff. But your job title will probably remain the same.

MIT Lincoln Laboratory2020-01-14

"Great Company, Horrible management"

Former Employee - Assistant Staff

I worked at MIT Lincoln Laboratory full-time

Pros

Pay, benefits and a really great work environment

Cons

They boast about being able to work from home and have flexible hours but it's not true in certain groups. My program had no direction and they claimed my performance was poor because my supervisor didn't know what he was doing and gave me zero feedback, I got let go and he got promoted. HR was supposed to investigate but didn't. The group I was in was mainly run by men and wasn't kind to women especially those with kids.

Advice to Management

Be more involved with your team and know what's actually going on and talk with your employees and give feedback and a chance to improve before letting them go.

MIT Lincoln Laboratory2020-01-17

"Was once good, but the substance has been removed."

Former Employee - Technical Staff in Lexington, MA

I worked at MIT Lincoln Laboratory full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Was once a good place to work but the substance has been removed

Cons

Disproportionate number of women seem to be “let go”, or end up struggling, particularly after having children. Terrible managers are allowed to continue managing No 360 degree evaluations Culture has changed to value style over substance Pay is way below industry standards

Advice to Management

Check your stats for retention of women. Hire real managers, not just advance people who are good at technical work. Make real efforts for diversity and inclusion once diverse candidates are hired; don’t just pay lip service to the idea

MIT Lincoln Laboratory2020-01-18
  4. "Great perks, Ok management, terrible compensation"

Current Employee - Associate Technical Staff

I have been working at MIT Lincoln Laboratory full-time

Pros

4 weeks vacation, Cadillac health plan, access to air force base, interesting work

Cons

Flat management structure means no management, great opportunities to do whatever you want, just as long as you're ok with poor compensation.

MIT Lincoln Laboratory2019-12-02
  5. "Working over a year now"

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Lexington, MA

I have been working at MIT Lincoln Laboratory full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have been at the lab for almost 1.5 years. I enjoy the work and people as much now as when I started. I have the opportunity to participate in some interesting projects and I'm staying busy. I travel to work on programs that will impact DoD.

Cons

The facilities are spread out. I work with programs at various classification levels that are spread over a good portion of the lab. I would love it if we were able to consolidate our programs in one space.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

MIT Lincoln Laboratory2019-11-08

"Lincoln Lab"

Current Employee - Special Security Representative I

I have been working at MIT Lincoln Laboratory full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The lab has great benefits

Cons

Security Management is bureaucratic and self preservative

Advice to Management

Place more emphasis on team leads as managers

MIT Lincoln Laboratory2019-10-16
  7. "Best job ever"

Current Employee - Associate Staff in Lexington, MA

I have been working at MIT Lincoln Laboratory full-time for less than a year

Pros

I absolutely love it here. Not only is it the best job I've ever had, I don't really see how it could be much better. I work a ~40 hr week and I can show up whenever I want. I get to work on very, very interesting programs. I am doing technical, thought provoking work for the programs. I have a lot of freedom in what I do and how I do it. My work has an impact. I have brilliant coworkers. I get paid a lot.

Cons

It's in the suburbs, 15 miles from downtown, so you need a car. I've heard raises are small, but I've been here less than a year so I can't confirm.

MIT Lincoln Laboratory2019-10-12
  8. "Working with great people"

Current Employee - Technical Staff in Lowell, MA

I have been working at MIT Lincoln Laboratory full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There are many folks at the top of their fields, and if you find the right group, I don't care how smart you are... you'll enjoy the challenge of trying to keep up.

Cons

Bureaucracy is inevitable in any organization that does business for the government.

MIT Lincoln Laboratory2019-08-22
  9. "Great Organization"

Former Employee - Administrative Staff in Lexington, MA

I worked at MIT Lincoln Laboratory full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The CEO cares. He has been slowly changing the culture of the Laboratory and it shows.

Cons

Technical staff and senior leadership micromanage their non-technical community. Technical expertise and education is assumed as competence in all areas.

Advice to Management

Determine ways to empower your support and admin staff. They will surprise you.

MIT Lincoln Laboratory2019-08-10
  10. "Interesting projects in the technology space!"

I worked at MIT Lincoln Laboratory full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work-life balance, Benefits, paid vacation

Cons

Limited partnership/senior executive spots available

MIT Lincoln Laboratory2019-08-13