MIT Lincoln Laboratory Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.9
MIT Lincoln Laboratory CEO Eric Evans
Eric Evans
Pros
Cons
  • "Raises are kind of arbitrary and really depend on how much your Group leaders want to push for you when they all get together to determine the ladder(in 12 reviews)

• "At least for System Administrators (and I believe most of the technical staff/researchers) prepare for SOUL-CRUSHING micro-management(in 10 reviews)

1. "Great ideals to strive for, but inept management thwarts mission"

Current Employee - Technical Staff in Lexington, MA

I have been working at MIT Lincoln Laboratory full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Interesting work, challenging environment, overall intellectually stimulating. If you are male, then there are really only pros to this workplace. You will enjoy every moment of it and grow in so many ways. Even if you take time to build your family and other skills through courses on campus. Men will always be encouraged in every way to become independent thinkers, and problem-solvers.

Cons

Pervasive sexual harassment against women. Rape emails - the group leaders arranged a celebration for this man and served cake to everyone. A senior staff (male) groped and kissed an associate staff (female) but wasn't fired. Got some comments about how great my body looked. I was told that I was hired just because I'm a woman and a diversity quota needed to be improved. An associate group leader made a comment... about spanking me if I missed a step in a procedure. Male staff can literally do anything they want, including assigning work to female staff for things that a subordinate or contractor would do - any time they feel like it. This prevents promotion of the female. If you report sexual harassment to group office and/or HR, they will find a way to fire you including making stuff up and putting it into the annual performance review or taking disciplinary action for things that literally never happened. Never expect an apology from anyone for anything. Also if you report sexual harassment, the group leaders and HR will not always keep your name or the incident confidential.

Advice to Management

Some of the group leaders are only there to serve themselves and don't actually care about the interests of the nation or national security. They just want power and money. (what a surprise).

MIT Lincoln Laboratory2019-09-11
  2. "Working with great people"

Current Employee - Technical Staff in Lowell, MA

I have been working at MIT Lincoln Laboratory full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There are many folks at the top of their fields, and if you find the right group, I don't care how smart you are... you'll enjoy the challenge of trying to keep up.

Cons

Bureaucracy is inevitable in any organization that does business for the government.

MIT Lincoln Laboratory2019-08-22
  3. "Great Organization"

Former Employee - Administrative Staff in Lexington, MA

I worked at MIT Lincoln Laboratory full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The CEO cares. He has been slowly changing the culture of the Laboratory and it shows.

Cons

Technical staff and senior leadership micromanage their non-technical community. Technical expertise and education is assumed as competence in all areas.

Advice to Management

Determine ways to empower your support and admin staff. They will surprise you.

MIT Lincoln Laboratory2019-08-10
  4. "Interesting projects in the technology space!"

I worked at MIT Lincoln Laboratory full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work-life balance, Benefits, paid vacation

Cons

Limited partnership/senior executive spots available

MIT Lincoln Laboratory2019-08-13
  5. "A place for a lifelong career"

Current Employee - Group Leader in Lexington, MA

I have been working at MIT Lincoln Laboratory full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Technical excellence, technical rigor, flat management structure. This is one of the few places left where collaborative applied research on real, important problems, is carried out on a routine basis. Senior members of staff are nurturing to younger staff members. An excellent middle ground between pure academia and industrial R&D.

Cons

Due to flat structure, "title promotions" do not really exist. The structure is akin to the old "Bell Labs" paradigm, where you could have a full career as a staff member.

MIT Lincoln Laboratory2019-06-17

"A review"

I worked at MIT Lincoln Laboratory full-time

Pros

The work can be more challenging than in industry depending.

Cons

The Peter Principle - this has been mentioned in other reviews and shall be repeated here. They promote based on technical capability and think anyone can just learn to manage on the fly or don't care if the promoted can't manage. This doesn't typically pan out too well. And personnel management takes a backseat to everything else. Meritocracy - in name only. If you are liked and one of the chosen few, you... will go far and get opportunities. Everyone else is expected to just be happy where they are (part of how a flat organization works), and for the most part they don't really care if you aren't. Some of the PhDs see the younger assistant and associate staff as nothing more than children who need things explained to them and incapable of understanding/generating ideas. I could list several other issues, but I doubt anyone cares enough to address them.

MIT Lincoln Laboratory2019-06-13
  7. "Associate Technical Staff at Lincoln Laboratory"

Former Employee - Associate Member of Technical Staff in Huntsville, AL

I worked at MIT Lincoln Laboratory full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Plenty of opportunity to work with cutting edge technology and extremely proficient technical staff.

Cons

Location - No desire for me to live and work long term in the north east

MIT Lincoln Laboratory2019-05-01
  8. "Excellent experience for hands-on, challenging research"

Former Employee - Assistant Technical Staff

I worked at MIT Lincoln Laboratory full-time

Pros

Challenging projects, smart colleagues, work-life balance, retirement benefits, vacation, education opportunities

Cons

Old office buildings, Lincoln scholars decreased pay

MIT Lincoln Laboratory2019-04-11
  9. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Assistant Staff in Lexington, MA

I worked at MIT Lincoln Laboratory full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Freedom of an academic environment without the pressure to publish or find grants. Great group leaders that encourage staff growth and side projects.

Cons

Can be a bit slow-moving like its government customers.

MIT Lincoln Laboratory2019-03-18

"Great"

Current Employee - Web Developer in Lexington, MA

I have been working at MIT Lincoln Laboratory full-time for less than a year

Pros

Many smart people to work with

Cons

Company organization can feel very traditional.

MIT Lincoln Laboratory2019-03-11