Made Tech Reviews

Updated 11 Nov 2020

4.6
Made Tech CEO Rory MacDonald (no image)
Rory MacDonald

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Delivery Manager in London, England, England

I have been working at Made Tech full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great culture - Big focus on learning, development and your growth - Lots of transparency - Lovely warm & welcoming people :)

Cons

The company is in a big phase of growth so there are some small growing pains but the company has a big feedback culture and I know actions are being taken in a lot of these areas

November 26, 2020Marketing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. We really appreciate it!

2. COVID-19

"Transparent and people-focused"

4.0
    Current Employee - Digital Marketing Coordinator in London, England, England

I have been working at Made Tech full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great culture - Everyone on the team is extremely supportive and continually work to build each other up. I started during COVID times so I was brought on remotely and I found the entire process very smooth. I was paired up with a "buddy" to answer any questions I might have about the company and help get me settled. Everyone I have worked with so far has been truly wonderful. Learn Tech Friday afternoons - there is a very clear focus on development within the company and dedicating an entire afternoon every week to learning is invaluable. As someone fairly new to the team, this has also allowed me to get to know a lot of other people in addition to learning about the industry. Transparency - Working in the open is something I really appreciate about Made Tech. The majority of conversations are on open channels so that everyone can participate and all perspectives can be heard. The Handbook is also open for anyone to read so I was able to learn a lot about the company before I even joined which I think is pretty unique. Mental Health - There are constantly conversations happening around mental health and we are encouraged to take time off whenever we need it.

Cons

I think there could be some improvement in development for non-tech employees. It would be great to have more opportunities during Learn Tech Fridays to focus on developing my skills in my field. Diversity is an area that is still lacking but the company is working on improving this.

September 24, 2020Marketing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. We really appreciate it and are always looking for constructive feedback that may help us get better. I'm happy to say that we have now started improving the learning offer for everyone at Made Tech, including more options also for people in non technical roles, and will continue to work on this in the upcoming months. Learning & mentoring is one of our core values at Made Tech and we are always looking for new ways to help our people grow.

"Great place to work, recommended!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bristol, England, England

I have been working at Made Tech full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Openness and transparency at all levels - Care deeply for their people - the people team are fantastic! - Adaptable to change - A good focus on the quality of outputs (TDD, good architecture choices etc.) - A strong culture of learning e.g. Learn Tech time every Friday - Unlimited leave (take as much as you need) - Guided career growth and mentoring - The Academy program - Freedom to do things the "right" way rather than the "prescribed" way - A focus on delivery over drama - A wide variety of projects to work on - Interesting service streams to support - A strong sales team to keep new business coming in Overall: the best place I have ever worked, I will be here for a long time!

Cons

- The nature of the work we do can sometimes lead to a bit of overtime, but it is not excessive

4. COVID-19

"Safe and supportive workplace"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England

I have been working at Made Tech full-time for more than a year

Pros

Made Tech really cares about people. From encouraging learning and development, career progression, supporting staff in their work and home life, to improving the way things are done in the public sector. Seeing the projects we've been involving ourselves in during the pandemic just emphasises how much Made Tech has people in the forefront of their mind. Made Tech tries to get the best out of everyone, and our feedback culture supports this - encouraging each other to grow and do better.

Cons

As happens with all businesses when they grow, they can lose focus on the team and people. However this is something that is regularly discussed and trying to find ways to prevent this happening.

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. We really appreciate it.

5. "Good place to work, but tests lie ahead with growth"

4.0
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in London, England, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Made Tech full-time for less than a year

Pros

Big emphasis on learning and development Genuine efforts to try and maintain and improve the company culture If you're on the right project, opportunity to work on things that have a real impact on a large number of people Genuinely trying to improve public sector technology delivery, not just grab contracts

Cons

The company has grown quickly and this is apparent in places - for example the odd line management setup and line managers may find it difficult to balance people management vs deliveries. This is likely to be difficult to scale up. There is a definite "Made Tech" way of behaving and doing things, this is not necessarily bad but those that fit that will have an easier time. I don't think this is a conscious thing but as the company grows it is vitally important to address, value and embrace more of a variety of approaches.

November 9, 2020

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. And very sorry for taking so long to reply. I'm so glad to read your list of positives! Our learning culture is so important to us and a core value (Learning & Mentoring) that we look for when we hire new team members too. It's so great to hear that you feel we are genuinely trying to improve how Public Sector deliver technology. Your constructive feedback is super helpful. We've had a few similar reviews around us being a growing company and therefore some processes breaking and needing to be evolved, such as your point to line management. And we agree :) I've added some detail to other reviews which I hope give some insight into what we've been up to and are doing to address this going forward. I wonder if you were referring to our core values when you reference the Made Tech way of behaving? I'd love to hear more context but will respond with inclusion in mind for now. We've recently established an Inclusion group to ensure that we actively embrace and encourage a variety of approaches. We're also running our first Diversity & Inclusion survey at the moment which will inform our newly formed D&I teams goals over the next year. Really excited about us understanding our weak points and working on being better. Finally, your advice to management has been shared with Leadership and we fully agree with your comment. In particular, since being remote, and in the absence of being present in the office, this has become even more apparent! There's a few things we've already done and are doing (quarterly company updates, recent showcases about our plans, finances, growth) but that isn't enough and we'll be much more deliberate about our communication frequency, method and content. :)

"Great learning culture"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bristol, England, England

I have been working at Made Tech full-time for less than a year

Pros

Superb learning culture, great people, and varied work (in my experience so far, I've not been here that long yet).

Cons

Being in the business of digital transformation in the public sector means you will need to be able to deal with some slowness to adopt best practices, this may be a problem for you, or an interesting challenge.

October 1, 2020Marketing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. We really appreciate it.

7. "Genuine, inclusive, ambitious"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Made Tech full-time

Pros

Real effort to encourage self-improvement/learning Fun culture People are engaged in what they do and want the best outcomes Interesting projects Full of smart, kind people Transparency in everything they do

Cons

Although the benefits package is great already, there are some lacking (bonus/dental/better pension). I believe this is currently being looked into though!

September 24, 2020Marketing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. We really appreciate it. I can confirm we're currently working on reviewing our benefits and have asked everyone at Made Tech to vote on what matters to them the most.

8. "A company where I feel safe and trusted."

I have been working at Made Tech full-time

Pros

MT is a young company, so it doesn't have baggage. They've taken a strong stance to enable their staff to grow, develop and influence the company culture.

Cons

I hate it when this field is left blank on Glassdoor, but I only have niggles, which aren't worth mentioning.

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. We really appreciate it.

"Software engineering excellence in the public sector"

Current Employee - Chief Technology Officer in London, England, England

I have been working at Made Tech full-time

Pros

Growing company with lots of opportunities to step up and out of your current role. If you like software engineering and building software to improve citizen and patient outcomes, you'll love working at Made Tech.

Cons

Evolving and agile environment means you'll need to be comfortable with a constantly changing business.

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. We really appreciate it.

10. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Made Tech full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great culture and people, I love the overall transparency and the fact that we work in the open. Everyone is available to lend a hand when needed. Leadership listens to employees and treats people equally. Strong work ethics and drive to deliver services which make a difference. Unlimited holiday.

Cons

Some employer benefits could be improved (maternity/paternity leave, pension scheme, ...). The learning offer and career path for non-techies could also be more structured.

September 24, 2020Marketing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. We really appreciate it. I can confirm we're currently working on reviewing our benefits. We have also started improving the learning offer for everyone at Made Tech, including more options also for people in non technical roles.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 22 Reviews