Made Tech Reviews

Updated Apr 25, 2022

Found 37 of over 38 reviews

4.0
Made Tech CEO Rory MacDonald (no image)
Rory MacDonald

57 Comments

Tech

211.5K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.co.uk&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Made Tech~1330562
Join the conversation on
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great company to work for!

Mar 14, 2022 - Talent Partner in Bristol, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Supportive and collaborative environment - Incredible teams and projects - Big plans! - Genuine focus on career development - Great perks such as unlimited holidays (no catch)

Cons

Some teething issues due to the rapid expansion but everything is being addressed with very transparent comms from the exec team.

2 people found this review helpful
  2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

A great bunch of people that want to do the right thing

Apr 25, 2022 - HEAD of HEALTHCARE in Manchester, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

No company gets everything right every time - but this place genuinely aims to! It's grown... quickly... but so has the focus on creating a great place to work. Whether that is investing time and money in creating opportunities for socialising and getting back out into the world, or whether it is carrying out a mass pay review following news articles about the rise in salaries and summarily increasing pay in response. But what really makes this place stand out is the calibre of people that are attracted and retained. If you care about making a better public service and improving lives - you'll fit right in.

Cons

If you are used to hierarchy and deference, if you think diversity is a buzz word, or if you are used to managing by fear - you'd hate it and you won't really last. It's a flat structure with a progressive mindset and a culture that shows respect to all (regardless of background, gender or race).

2 people found this review helpful

Head of Talent

Thanks so much for your review! We love working here and are glad you do too.

3. 1.0
    Former Employee

Culture is created not sold

Apr 21, 2022 - Delivery Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Reasonable salary, some good people who care about the work they’re doing.

Cons

Very little support from senior members. Bullying from senior leadership and contractors. Will sell a culture that is nothing like the reality. Regional head doesn’t listen to employees and prefers contractors.

Head of Talent

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We, of course, take even a mention of bullying extremely seriously and have taken some time to look into these circumstances. The nature of our business means it's challenging for us to provide an absolutely consistent employee experience when so many of our team work so closely with client teams. As an organisation, we strive to provide support to everyone on the team when it's needed (and when it isn't), and we offer lots of mechanisms for this: from building feedback into our culture, making our people team accessible to everyone, and having robust processes for more serious issues should they ever arise. We would definitely encourage all members of the team to make full use of these means of support throughout their time at Made Tech – and especially in times of need. This is this best way to move things in a positive direction so that hopefully we can avoid an outcome where people choose to leave, or, on very rare occasions, regretfully have to be let go.

4. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Rapid growth has hurt the company - D&I needs to be prioritised

Mar 5, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- The academy is just a great programme for improving the industry as a whole as it's helping people from underrepresented backgrounds break into tech. - Even with the cons, I think this is a great oppurtunity for entry-level engineers to start their careers, however I don't see Made Tech as a place to stay long-term, especially if you're from an under-represented background. - A lot of great people have been a part of Made Tech who really believe in what the company lists as its values - Emphasis on healthy feedback culture is refreshing, but I don't know if it's followed through - Decent benefits: unlimited holidays, flexible working, decent budget for personal learning to spend on resources/courses

Cons

- Rapid expansion and prioritising the IPO really damaged employees' trust in leadership as well as the company's culture, due to priorities, which felt integral to Made Tech, being dropped. - Apart from the academy, the rest of the company is very homogenous, and this was worsened by the growth over the last couple years, when quantity was made the priority for hiring. - Sufficient support hasn't always been there for engineers after they finish the academy, which resulted in the company losing great talent. - Line managers aren't given sufficient time or training to be a good line manager - this has had a detrimental effect on career progression, especially for people from under-represented backgrounds. It's like a lottery/lucky dip - who you get as a manager will determine your progress. - Most seniors are white men, who don't have experience managing or mentoring people from other backgrounds - and that's not something that is easy to figure out by yourself, when you're already incredibly busy with delivery work. - This has created a "don't ask, don't get" culture, which isn't inclusive. - There have been some great internal employee-led D&I initiatives, but it felt like leadership didn't have time or capacity to be invested in this key area, until it was for the IPO. - It's hard to not be sceptical, when leadership went from 0 time for D&I to a bunch meetings suddenly as we drew closer to IPO day.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

A company that cares about doing the right thing

Jan 14, 2022 - Delivery Manager in London, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Very colleagues and normally a bright bunch - Opportunities to learn and develop - Mentoring & line management more structured that most projects - Public sector & UCD focus means you feel like you're making a difference - Reasonable benefits (pay, learning time, unlimited holiday, stock options) - A real sense of caring about employees, and trying to get better as an organisation

Cons

- Change is managed badly and communicated even worse - We use Google Suite but most clients use Microsoft and it can be hard to make them work together - DM Community of Practice is pretty underwhelming and not well participated in

Head of Talent

Thanks so much for taking the time to feedback. We are committed to reviewing this as a leadership team and I hope you have/will see some improvements with the way we manage and communicate change.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great team!

Nov 23, 2021 - Delivery Manager in London, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

The support team are amazing, the office is lovely and the culture is so much more relaxing than other places I’ve worked. That’s not to say we don’t work hard, it’s just your boundaries are respected and no one expects you to drive yourself into the ground for work.

Cons

It’s a company that’s growing quickly, and that comes with growing pains. But if you get stuck in to helping shape what the company is becoming then those pains get resolved fairly quickly.

7. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Started out great, but rapid expansion has hurt the company

Nov 23, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work: If you get a good workstream, it can be really rewarding - a lot of the work going on in the public sector does make a difference to people, and to be involved in that is great. Benefits: Some good benefits are available, like unlimited holidays, friday lunches, the occasional social, and extended parental leave (but even then some of these benefits are getting eroded over time) Culture: There are lots of really great individuals at Made Tech who are really willing to share their knowledge and help you out at the drop of a hat. I met some fantastic people there that I'm still in touch with now.

Cons

Work: If a delivery is bad, it can be extremely bad; often teams are left to work on projects with little understanding of the context around it or the expectations of the customers. This can be incredibly frustrating, especially when this is fed back to the account teams and ignored, leaving teams to struggle to deliver outcomes successfully. Struggling like this for long periods of time, especially when coupled with the pandemic, has left many people burned out. You have little say on what deliveries you go on; in theory you have the ability to decline to join a delivery, but it will negatively impact your career. Benefits: On paper, these are great, but over time there have been a lot of new restrictions added to them that really reduce their value. Such as: * no longer protecting learning time, meaning you basically have to choose between a holiday and spending time learning * Holidays are "unlimited" unless you decided you want to leave the company - then they're capped at 23 days, pro-rated. If you've already taken more than that, you have to pay it back out of your final paycheque Progression: Moving your career forward can be extremely difficult at Made Tech; promotions live and die by the head of your region, so there's an inherent bias to their decisions. It also means that someone who is good at self-promotion to your regional market principal will have a far easier time getting promoted, whereas more introverted employees may be stuck at the same level for extended periods of time. In addition, the success of a delivery is often placed on the individuals working that delivery, who may not have much control over the parameters of it as that is often handled by a separate account team. The result of this is that the people on a delivery are held most accountable while having little ability to influence it's success, while the reverse is true for account-level folks. Diversity: While I was at Made Tech there was very little action in the D&I space - most of it was left to employee-led focus groups, who tried very hard to help the business improve, but were often ignored, and at times outright refused to invest in D&I. Culture: The shift to remote working has negatively damaged the Made Tech culture; people became siloed in their deliveries and rarely interacted with people outside of their workstreams, so there isn't much of a culture remaining, to speak of. In some regions, there is a strong focus on drinking, particularly in the office on Friday afternoons, which can be alienating to non-drinkers.

18 people found this review helpful
  8. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

So much potential, ruined by execs putting money before people

Nov 29, 2021 - Senior Talent Partner
    Business Outlook

Pros

1. Some really talented staff 2. Genuine diversity in technology 3. People that want to genuinely make a different to public services and help others

Cons

1. C level offering engineers lower than market salaries whilst charging them out at crazy day rates 2. Pushing IPO above all else (who needs a D&I manager when we are going to IPO?) 3. No investment at all in non-tech hires (these are fixed costs apparently and weigh us down. Talent were said to be a bit of a drain on company profits rather than helping the business). 4. Tone deaf announcements with zero engagement with staff from C level

7 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

A great place to work and learn

Oct 19, 2021 - Lead Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

I enjoy working at Made Tech. The company is similar to places I've worked in the past, but has a decent outlook on what the future of Modern Software Delivery should be. Although it is consultant focused, and you may find yourself on projects less suited to your skills or that you don't fully enjoy, you know it is only for a limited time and more exciting ones will be around the corner. Either way, you get to work with some great and talented people, and make some great changes for the better within the Clients we work with (Tech for Good!) Even though I joined remotely, I've felt a good level of socialisation, feel that there's no one in the company I couldn't reach out to and grab a physical or virtual coffee with, and find the general community very welcoming. I love that we have flexible holiday, and I am not scrounging my leave away in case I may need it later in the year, and feel supported and encouraged to look after my own wellbeing, as well as that of my team. I also feel encouraged to take learning time as and when needed and love that I can work on my own personal development, rather than just on what is the flavour of the week for a client. There have been some teething issues as the company has grown over the past year and a half, although I feel as though there are many steps in the right direction to address some concerns and issues I've heard, notably in reframing how Line Management will work, how Promotions will work, and how we can massively improve our Diversity and Inclusion work moving forward. It's an exciting time to be here, and all I hope is that the company maintains the positives as we grow and move towards the next version of the company.

Cons

I've seen some other reviews mention this, but there has felt over the past few months slightly less transparency (and that has lead to greater concern I guess) with the future of the business or how we will maintain all the positives as we grow. This might have been due to recent events (e.g. IPO) and leadership being heavily focused on getting that across the line, and I've seen a few more leadership meetings pop up more regularly, and hope this continues.

Head of Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review, we really appreciate your feedback

10. 3.0
    Former Employee

Don't believe the headlines

Oct 22, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Unlimited holidays is a nice bonus but you'll need it working here. - Lots of positive action in the D&I space.

Cons

Lots of unhappy people in unenjoyable workstreams. Management chooses to ignore this and instead focuses on profits over people's happiness which is contradictory to a place that claims to emphasise its focus on people.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 37 Reviews

Made Tech Reviews FAQs

Made Tech has an overall rating of 4.0 out of 5, based on over 38 reviews left anonymously by employees. 83% of employees would recommend working at Made Tech to a friend and 72% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -12% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Made Tech employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.1 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Made Tech. This rating has decreased by -9% over the last 12 months.

83% of Made Tech employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Made Tech 4.2 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.3 for culture and values and 4.1 for career opportunities.

Popular Careers with Made Tech Job Seekers