Made Tech Reviews

Updated Aug 2, 2021

Found 26 of over 27 reviews

4.2
Made Tech CEO Rory MacDonald (no image)
Rory MacDonald
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

People focussed and making a difference to their clients

Aug 2, 2021 - Client Principal in Stoke-on-Trent, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Made Tech have a strong culture, flexible working, they put people first and care about the social value they are adding to their clients. As a business they truly want to help the public sector to deliver excellent user centred services

Cons

The company has grown exponentially over the last 12 months. Some of the processes are catching up so can feel a little unstructured at times. However you have the autonomy to make decisions and there is no red tape or political agendas holding you back.

Head of Marketing

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

If you can embrace change, with a growth mindset you will be successful at Made Tech 😁💚

Jul 16, 2021 - People Team in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Evolving benefits that are changing all of the time, this year alone we have added Pension, Flexible Health Options, Smart Tech, Cycle to Work amongst other - Learning and mentoring, Made Tech encourage us all to take our learning days throughout the year (12 per year) as well as spend learning budgets 😁 - Growth, so much opportunity to be able to grow your mind through collaboration, experience, training - Small enough company still to be able to be the owner of some really genuinely impactful changes in the work we deliver internally - Support from the business in terms of time and people, we've been fortunate enough to have seconded people from their day jobs into hiring to help with interviews as well as help with improving our processes and helping with other initiatives around DEI, Employer Branding etc. - Flexible, Unlimited holiday entitlement

Cons

- Not a con as such as it is something a lot of companies experience when going through such steep growth (we had about 45 people at the beginning of 2020 and now in July 2021 have about 240! - however change management and communication are the areas we are focusing on at the minute. - Again not a con as such, but something to highlight, consultancy life isn't for everyone. We are very driven in terms of our decisions around client opportunities as such any new joiners even if not client-facing need to be super adaptable and more than okay with change (they should enjoy it and strive in a changing environment)

2 people found this review helpful

162 Comments

Join the conversation on
  4. 1.0
    Former Employee

Would not recommend especially if you identify as being from an under represented background

Jul 8, 2021 - People
    Business Outlook

Pros

They hire incredibly talented people.

Cons

They don't have the infrastructure to keep great talent. They don't have any tangible plan for creating an inclusive culture. If you interview, ask for proof of diversity, it might actually prompt them to start taking action. They don't have firmly established ways of rewarding or promoting employees. The "leaders" of the business are often unsuccessful at sharing business updates, and it's often unclear why or how decisions are made. The most transparent thing about this company is their handbook, which isn't as up to date as it should be. The company is scaling more quickly than it should and it's having an affect on peoples experience. Benefits need more variety and aren't competitive. Leadership are very cliquey and the higher you go in the company the less diversity there is. They promote a culture that doesn't exist for everyone in the business.

6 people found this review helpful

Made Tech Response

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. You’ve pointed out a lot of strong observations from your time with us and as someone who was part of the people team (I assume based on the role field referencing people) I’m sure that you have also raised these whilst you were still with us. To your point about a tangible plan for diversity and inclusion at Made Tech. Simply put - we've been too slow to date. This followed a perception that D&I isn't important at Made Tech sadly. Over the past month our CTO and myself have taken over the D&I strategy. We’ve re-established the Inclusions Community monthly meet-ups and are hiring an internal team member from this group into the D&I team to take an active part, represent the wider community in our decisions and actions and help challenge us when something isn’t quite right or taking too long. We also have a variety of self-established groups such as LGBTQA+ allies and activists, women in tech, and more recently antiracist activists and women of colour. We’re also engaging representatives from each group for the D&I team. We know that we can’t do this in silo and want to reduce our otherwise high number of blindspots by increasing our combined personal experience in this team. We’ve just run a ‘Made Tech Census’ to collect baseline data with 95% completion rate at this time. Our immediate goals for this quarter are to 1. improve senior diversity (progression, promotions, representation) , 2. Report on the gender pay gap and 3. Focus on improving employee experience (retention, satisfaction etc) On point 3, we will link the data from the Census to our Team Happiness survey data to understand how specific groups of people experience Made Tech and work in improving those scores with action. To add context, we have no internal ‘experts’ that have built a D&I strategy and implemented this successfully elsewhere. Strategy and implementation more generally is an internal skill but there is a lot more unknown complexity in D&I to us so its likely that we’ll be making some mistakes on the journey. We’re ok with that as long as we continuously learn and most importantly as long as we are progressing. The lack of progress I think has been the frustrating part in people's experience. This also leads to your point about not having an established way of rewarding and promoting people. And for the various internal teams this is very accurate. We’re a lot more established in mature teams such as Technology and Delivery. My current priority as Head of People is overall career progression at Made Tech. We do have a careers framework but the process around needs more clarity and defining. We’re actually working with our User Research team on getting the right data from our wider team members via interviews and focus groups and with our L&D Experience Manager on creating the role and learning paths for everyone at Made Tech. This is a new way of working for the people team and aiming to achieve an outcome that makes career progression easy to understand, clear in terms of knowing whats expected and how to progress, supportive of achieving mastery by continuously developing people with access to the right opportunities, resources and tools. As with many other things though, this is work in progress. I am very aware that we are in a phase of scaling and with that a lot of evolution and change happens. A key thing we identified is that we don’t actually have the right skill set internally to handle change in a really positive way for various people. We also know, growing from 230 team members today to around 500 over the next 2-3 years, that we will continue to evolve and change. Its really important that we actively take everyone on this journey which should consider their specific style of learning and engagement. We’ve sent a group of people to a Change Management course to help us build those skills. I’ve completed mine this week and have learned so much about the effort it takes to really take everyone along on a journey. A key part of this is a good communications strategy, and you rightly referenced that we have not been successful at frequently sharing business updates and decisions made at Made Tech. We've had monthly Leadership updates in place for some time but there is just so much more we need to do. I'm setting up a community of practice for change management to ensure that we are doing this well going forward. I think we have underestimated the impact on people quite a bit previously. We've also just rolled out a management training course to equip and better support our managers who look after team members. I want to thank you for providing your perspective and experience of working at Made Tech here. This feedback and other many data points are certainly helping us to get to the kind of future state we aspire to be at. We have a pretty big journey ahead of us still and I see a lot of opportunity in that if managed well which is a key priority for me and my team.

5. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

A company that says all the right things but doesn't actually follow through

Jul 8, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Some really talented team members Flexible holiday if you have time to take it

Cons

I experienced constant anxiety and stress working at Made Tech. The culture and mission seen on the careers page and in the github handbook are not what many are experiencing on the inside. Inconsistent promotion structure and unattainable goals where the goal posts constantly get moved. A culture that claims 'no stupid questions' but makes you feel stupid when you ask valid ones about problematic cultural elements and nonsensical processes. Cliquey engineer culture that doesn't know how to hire or keep non-engineers and doesn't value them either. I basically never saw the leadership team. Unsupportive culture that views people raising feedback as the problem, rather than seeing them as a reason to change.

4 people found this review helpful

Made Tech Response

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review on your experience at Made Tech. I am sorry you have felt anxiety and stress whilst working with us. I'd like to add respond to your points made which is not to take away from your experience but rather to add context that I think is relevant. Referring to your point about our external image and internal experience of people, I assume this refers especially to more recent joiners (last 6-9 months) but do feel free to correct me here (if you can on Glassdoor or email me directly). To add some context here, we have doubled in size over the past 12 months or so and it feels as though this has diluted a lot of our culture and the experience for people during that time. Especially in this very remote way of working that we are all experiencing. (i.e. leadership seems absent) In a scaling company such as Made Tech there are many evolving aspects so we’ve gone through a period of constant change. A key thing we identified is that we don’t actually have the right skill set internally to handle change in a really positive way for various people. We also know, growing from 230 team members today to around 500 over the next 2-3 years, that we will continue to evolve and change. Its really important that we actively take everyone on this journey which should consider their specific style of learning and engagement. We’ve sent a group of people to a Change Management course to help us build those skills. I’ve completed mine this week and have learned a lot about the effort it takes to really take everyone along on a journey. I think we have underestimated the impact on people quite a bit previously. We've also just rolled out a management training course to equip and better support our managers who look after team members. You also reference diversity and inclusion at Made Tech and note that many underrepresented minorities have left the company. I hold Leaver Interviews with all leavers to understand people's motivation for leaving. I encourage a very constructive and honest conversation and hopefully create enough safety for people to voice many of their concerns. There have indeed been a few leavers who referenced the lack of progress in D&I and their experience at Made Tech as a contributing factor to their decision to leave over the past 6 months. Some were part of the Inclusions Community at Made Tech and just didn’t see enough timely action from us. I understand that this is frustrating and I also agree that its really important and can’t be ignored. Over the past month our CTO and myself have taken over the D&I strategy. We’ve re-established the Inclusions Community meet-ups and are hiring an internal team member from this group into the D&I team to take an active part, represent the wider community in our decisions and actions and help challenge us when something isn’t quite right or taking too long. We’ve just run a ‘Made Tech Census’ to collect baseline data with 95% completion rate at this time. Our immediate goals are to 1. improve senior diversity (progression, promotions, representation) , 2. Report on the gender pay gap and 3. Focus on improving employee experience (retention, satisfaction etc) On point 3, we will link the data from the Census to our Team Happiness survey data to understand how specific groups of people experience Made Tech and work in improving those scores with action. Its likely that you and I had a pretty open and honest leaver interview already. I have notes of a few that have been quite critical and actually really insightful for us. I'm certainly not afraid of hearing negative feedback from people - it then just really matters to identify the impact/urgency and act on it. Of course a leaver does not get to see/experience those changes unfortunately but we can then focus on measuring our impact from improvements that come out of conversations, such as leaver interviews, on team members internally. If you’d like, and feel comfortable, to have a follow up conversation on some of the points you’ve raised and are interested in here then please get in touch with me - yasemin@madetech.com

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work

Nov 11, 2020 - Delivery Manager in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Great culture - Big focus on learning, development and your growth - Lots of transparency - Lovely warm & welcoming people :)

Cons

The company is in a big phase of growth so there are some small growing pains but the company has a big feedback culture and I know actions are being taken in a lot of these areas

7. 5.0

Great learning culture

Sep 29, 2020 - Senior Software Engineer in Bristol, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Superb learning culture, great people, and varied work (in my experience so far, I've not been here that long yet).

Cons

Being in the business of digital transformation in the public sector means you will need to be able to deal with some slowness to adopt best practices, this may be a problem for you, or an interesting challenge.

8. 3.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great culture, some bad projects

Sep 26, 2020 - Senior Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

People are really nice. You can be open at work. Lots of focus on learning. Uncounted leave that they really dont mind you taking advantage of. Good salaries.

Cons

If you arent in london lots of projects are on government teams doing low quality practices, and you can't challenge it if it means the company will lose any money. You can ask them to move you but most of the other projects are the same.

4 people found this review helpful

Made Tech Response

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! Really good to hear that you enjoy working with the people at Made Tech and that you love the unlimited leave. I certainly take full advantage of this myself :) I appreciate your comment on public sector projects and that you found many projects that are not following best practices. I can see that this can be super frustrating for someone who learns all about modern practices at Made Tech and then is not always able to apply this right away. A major part of our mission is to help and influence the public sector teams we work with to use those modern practices and high quality code. This is a journey we often go on with our clients and there is a lot of work to do. When we arrive we want to spend time living through their challenges first and align ourselves to their ways of working so that we can really understand what works and what doesn't work. We're then much better placed to positively influence from within the team. As with anything, that can take time and we aim to have empathy with our clients that are on a journey rather than being ready to change how things are done as soon as we land. How long this takes varies in each organisation but in those projects where we do end up influencing the client, implementing modern practices, upskilling their civil servants and help improve the way things are done, we feel a real sense of achievement and purpose. Those are the best outcomes for us. Its really useful to hear this from someone in the team though and I wonder if we could do more to talk about this in showcases and our Friday afternoon learning sessions. If you want to be part of that conversation and help set something up feel free to reach out to me :) Thanks again for sharing! Yasemin

9. 5.0

Great Values and Culture

Sep 18, 2020 - Lead Engineer in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture and values Learning culture Supportive environment Transparent Unlimited holidays Flexible working

Cons

Tech focussed (this is also a HUGE positive)

10. 5.0

Genuine, inclusive, ambitious

Sep 15, 2020 - Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Real effort to encourage self-improvement/learning Fun culture People are engaged in what they do and want the best outcomes Interesting projects Full of smart, kind people Transparency in everything they do

Cons

Although the benefits package is great already, there are some lacking (bonus/dental/better pension). I believe this is currently being looked into though!

Marketing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. We really appreciate it. I can confirm we're currently working on reviewing our benefits and have asked everyone at Made Tech to vote on what matters to them the most.

11. 5.0

Great company culture

Sep 15, 2020 - Senior Engineer in Bristol, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Transparency, Continuous Learning, Best Practice, XP, Clear salary bands and SFIA levels published on GitHub. Great people to work with ❤️

Cons

Super fast growth stretching resources and staff a bit

Viewing 1 - 10 of 26 Reviews