Medivet Reviews

Updated 25 Feb 2021

3.5
Medivet Chief Executive Officer  Duncan Gibson  (no image)
Duncan Gibson
Pros
  • "I joined Medivet this year in an admin role at the Watford Support Centre and I am really enjoying my new role(in 12 reviews)

• "Good salary compared to other companies(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours, low pay, management(in 17 reviews)

• "Loads of PCAs that never should have passed probation are still about(in 13 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "Good company to work for"

Current Employee - Veterinarian in Liverpool, England

I have been working at Medivet full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Supportive, good pay, 4 days working week, payed CPD allowance

Cons

OTOH and Bank Holidays rota

2. "The best"

Current Employee - Night Vet in Horsham, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Medivet full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

good work life balance, good salary that get better over time, good professional development support.

Cons

not enough communication regarding the company future and changes that affects the little employ

Continue reading

3. "Gold Standard Company who want to support their staff to provide the best care possible to patients"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Head of Clinical Operations in Watford, East of England, England

I have been working at Medivet full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Caring towards colleagues clients and pets , Empowers Staff, Positive learning culture, Supportive with personal and family life, Trustworthy, plenty of pathways for Career Progression, feel like my opinion is valued. Decisions are always made with the staff , clients and patients at heart. Truly a "forever" place to work for me.

Cons

Fast paced change can be tough to keep up with, but is always done with brilliant intentions and is to make the life of staff , clients and patients much better.

4. COVID-19

"Lots to be proud of"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Head of Operational Human Resources in Watford, East of England, England

I have been working at Medivet full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great heritage and a progressive business who are working very hard to look after all colleagues . Lots of recent initiatives and working parties/committees have been set up to really engage with and involve colleagues to ensure their voice is heard and that the business listens and supports

Cons

Veterinary is tough at the moment during the pandemic but Medivet is working hard to genuinely look after colleagues

5. "New Graduate"

Current Employee - Graduate Veterinary Surgeon in Liverpool, England

I have been working at Medivet full-time for less than a year

Pros

I started working for Medivet on the graduate program immediately after leaving vet school. In all honesty it has been fantastic. The support I have received from my mentor/buddy has been second to none and I am so so fortunate to work with an incredible group of colleagues. I feel like I am developing clinically on a daily basis and very rarely feel overwhelmed or out of my depth. I have been given clinical freedom to push myself whilst still having the safety net of my mentor. My mentor, and area/regional management are very approachable and have always listened to my issues and dealt with them appropriate, I feel comfortable raising any issues to management. I feel like the company are developing constantly and trying to improve the business not just for clients and their pets, but also for the colleagues. The graduate programme also provides me with a TONNE of CPD to develop even more. Fair on call and bank holiday rotas are in place in the area. I work a 4 day week and 1 in 3 weekends, which allows me to have a good work life balance!

Cons

Long days and sometimes short-staffed in branches (having worked in other companies whilst being a student I know it is an industry-wide issue) I frequently have issues with the computer system, it crashes a lot in some branches and can be painfully slow, but I am aware an updated version is in the process of launching.

February 20, 2021Client Relations/Reputation Executive

Thank you for sharing your positive experience. It's really great to hear about your journey from joining us as a Graduate. We are working really hard to develop our Graduate training as well as ensuring all our Vets have the opportunity to work a 4 day week. I'm sorry to read about the issues you are having with the system and staffing levels, I welcome the opportunity to discuss this and any other points you would like to raise. If you are open to this, please contact me directly, James Dickens (HR Director) at james.dickens@medivet.co.uk

6. "Great Company To Work For"

4.0
    Current Employee - Veterinary Surgeon in Liverpool, England

I have been working at Medivet part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I've worked for the company for 6 years since they took over our practice. There were some initial teething problem for the first couple of years however these have for the most part been rectified. The local and regional management structure is good and they listen to what you have to say. Full time vets are now on a four day week. They have a great scheme for new and recent graduates. I have been well treated and recommend them to anyone considering applying

Cons

We are occasionally very busy, with all hands to the pump. I guess all practices are the same!

February 14, 2021Client Relations/Reputation Executive

Thank you for sharing your positive experience. It is especially great to read that you found the graduate scheme a positive experience and that you have felt supported throughout your time with Medivet. Feedback like this is what gives us motivation and helps towards Medivet growing. Our mission is to deliver exceptional care and be there for our clients when they need us. It's people like you that help to successfully deliver that mission - so thank you. James Dickens (HR Director)

7. "First Job"

Current Employee - Graduate Veterinary Surgeon in Liverpool, England

I have been working at Medivet full-time for more than a year

Pros

I started my career in the graduate veterinary programme in the Northwest. The amount of cpd and training is amazing, I had a lot of support from my mentors and colleagues. For my first job and first step as a vet wouldn't choose another place !

Cons

Long days,but unfortunately it's like this everywhere !

February 6, 2021Client Relations/Reputation Executive

Thank you for sharing your positive experience. Great to hear about the support you are receiving and that the CPD & training is making a positive difference. Best of luck with your time as a Graduate. James Dickens (HR Director)

8. "Great professional growth"

Current Employee - Veterinarian in Liverpool, England

I have been working at Medivet full-time

Pros

A number of ways to develop clinically and professionally. Really high level of clinical work practiced with hub and spoke system. Great to work with an extended group of vets across the region, all with different a strengths and interests.

Cons

Some travelling between clinics and the main centre

February 6, 2021Client Relations/Reputation Executive

Thank you for sharing your positive experience. It is especially great to hear how you are enjoying the development opportunities. Our mission is to deliver exceptional care and be there for our clients when they need us. It's people like you that help to successfully deliver that mission - so thank you. James Dickens (HR Director)

9. "Great progression, massive improvement in the company over the years"

Current Employee - Veterinary Surgeon in Liverpool, England

I have been working at Medivet full-time

Pros

I started as a new graduate and went through their new graduate program, I became a mobile vet in the region for about 1 year. I spent time as an associate vet and now I am a branch partner. I’ve been with Medivet for 5 years and the progression took 3 years. The company had shown massive improvement in my time there and I feel valued and listened to. It’s not perfect, we have staffing issue and all other issues facing the profession. Overall I am very proud of the work I do and the company I work with. They do not deserve the bad star rating they have. We have 4 day working week, one in 3 Saturdays and back up on call which for the job is expected. I have a massive support by brilliant veterinarians around me, many with special interest and we all work together. It doesn't matter what clinic you work for, we all are on the same team.

Cons

Long hours, slow computer system

February 14, 2021Client Relations/Reputation Executive

Thank you for sharing your positive experience. It's really heartwarming to hear about your journey through to Branch Partner from joining us as a Graduate. We are working really hard to develop our Graduate training as well as ensuring all our Vets have the opportunity to work a 4 day week. As you say, we are all on the same team, it's great to have you with us! Thank you. James Dickens (HR Director)

10. "Understanding and Fair"

Current Employee - Veterinary Nurse RVN in Liverpool, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Medivet part-time

Pros

Great team of people across all branches, good scope to gain experience and room for progression. Ive recently had to go part time due to personal circumstances and management have been extremely understanding. Flexibility and communication on both parts has been key and we have come to a mutually beneficial arrangement. I completed my training here and can honestly say I have learned and progressed so much within this company. It does involve OOH work at the hospital however I see this as a bonus to gain that experience in ECC. 1:8 weekends at the hospital or 1:4 Saturday only at branch works well (I prefer hospital for the above reason) with time back in lieu. One or two weeks on call which can be a bit inconvenient but having worked with animals all my life, I've come to accept its inevitable! Plus the opportunity to work in ECC. I also enjoy the responsibility when called in as extra support. Nights are occasionally offered to staff who want them too paid at higher rate and given adequate time off to enable you to work it. I find my management are extremely approachable and I feel comfortable asking anything. Overall I am very happy with my position at medivet and have turned down a few job offers in order to return to my branch.

Cons

Can be stressful especially when short staffed however this has been a trend in every job ive had in the animal and veterinary industry. There is a lot of responsibility on the nurses but again I enjoy this so I dont really see it as a con, it can be daunting as a brand new PCA and I've seen people get stressed as they are relied on early on, I do however believe this can be overcome by communicating openly. I feel that the wages could be better but compared to other companies these are relatively good (but they do include the OOH)

February 14, 2021Client Relations/Reputation Executive

Thank you for sharing your positive experience. It's really pleasing to hear that you have worked out a part time arrangement that suits you. We are trying to offer more flexible working options so it's good to hear this is working for you. Thank you for sharing your experiences. James Dickens (HR Director)

Viewing 1 - 10 of 126 English Reviews