Merkle Reviews

Updated 17 May 2020

3.8
Merkle Chairman and CEO David Williams
David Williams
Pros
  • "You'll be working with a lot of smart people, mostly(in 71 reviews)

• "It is also nice to have the option to work from home(in 64 reviews)

Cons
  • "It would have been nice to negotiate my salary, but the work life balance made up for the compensation in my eyes(in 68 reviews)

• "There are many long hours on the job, so the workload can be demanding(in 41 reviews)

"Best Place to Work"

Current Employee - Analytics Manager in London, England

I have been working at Merkle full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Amazing culture and variety of clients. Staff is a priority, Great learning experience and career progression.

Cons

It is not pet friendly. I really don't have anything bad to say.

Merkle2020-02-12

February 13, 2020UK People Team

Thank you for your review! We really appreciate your comments; Its so great to read....and fingers crossed regarding pets.....its really a case of office space right now. But who knows for the future!

"A week ago I saw this as a long term employer"

1.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Merkle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility, originality when it comes to problem solving, trust in people.

Cons

A company which prioritises profit over people is not where I want to work. We are being sent emails praising our amazing work, how we have had the best quarter, how the 2007 financial crisis actually gave us more work and then we are told to take ‘voluntary’ (not really) pay cuts or else be made redundant. Morally corrupt, greedy, capitalist leadership. This was an opportunity to come on top - show your heart and do the right thing, and instead, you are putting through people who have already suffered a lot through more loses. And all under a pretext ‘of doing good for the others’. Your priorities are clear here. This is not an employer that has your back in the times of crisis.

Merkle2020-04-03

April 8, 2020UK People Team

We are disappointed to read your review and feel that you may have misunderstood the hard decision we have taken here at Merkle. Our Senior Leadership Team have invested a huge amount of effort into finding a creative solution to help steer our business through the challenging times we find ourselves in due to Covid-19. We made the decision to ask our people to voluntarily commit to a pay reduction to protect our future and to avoid a redundancy programme. Our decision has received overwhelming support from our UK employee population and we are sad to read that you do not feel that same way. In addition, we are currently paying full salary for all employees off sick (as we would normally do but which many UK companies don’t), those on bereavement leave for more than 2 days who have lost a someone to corona virus (as we would normally do which many UK companies don’t) and those parents who are juggling working whilst being a parent full time with schools being closed. We’re also funding one to one counselling for those currently finding that the current situation is having a significant detrimental impact on their mental health. We fully appreciate that this situation has impacted us all in very different ways, some more than others, but our Leadership team and People team are doing everything to make the right decisions to support the many and we’re proud of the steps we have taken and the incredible support we have received from many.

3. "Very good"

Current Employee - Commercial Loan Team Leader in London, England

I have been working at Merkle full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing place to work - highly recommend

Cons

Huge company, some people may feel like they don't make a huge say in all decisions as a result.

Merkle2020-01-28

January 29, 2020UK People Team

Hello! Thanks for your lovely comment and our 5 star review. It's great to read that you are thoroughly enjoying your time here at Merkle! We have experienced rapid growth and it's true to say we are now a larger agency. We have a little motto that we like hiring people with a point of view. Decisions can't always sit with everyone but we do like to think we listen to our people and encourage people to share their thoughts that might impact the final decision made.

4. "They’re on top for a reason"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Merkle full-time for less than a year

Pros

Company culture is amazing. Everyone is welcoming and friendly. You immediately feel like a member of the team. Even if the work is challenging, there’s a network of people who are more than happy to answer your questions and help. It’s a diverse office- lots of different people. The higher ups are very approachable and give off an air of honesty and transparency. Merkle cares about its employees and in turn; they work hard.

Cons

None that I can see yet.

Merkle2020-01-18

January 20, 2020UK People Team

Ahhh.....a warm fuzzy feeling review! Thank you. Its so fab to hear from a new joiner and the experience you have had during the first few months at Merkle. And fantastic to hear that our culture is so well represented in one of our newer offices. Welcome to the family!

"Awful experience, almost a scam"

Former Employee - Senior Campaign Executive Consultant in London, England

I worked at Merkle full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great bunch of people, free drinks on Friday.

Cons

No benefits, Bad management, Misleading description of roles

Merkle2020-01-22

January 23, 2020UK People Team

Hello We are really surprised to read your review and sorry that you felt this was not the environment for you. We are glad that you enjoyed working with our people; we take real care and put in an immense amount of effort to ensure we offer a culture and environment where everyone feels they ‘belong’. It’s hard to know when you left our business but in the last year we have made quite a few changes to our benefits platform. A few examples are introducing private health insurance across all agency entities, offering the option to buy additional holiday on top of the standard 25 days, 4x Life Assurance, fully funded counselling and we have re-worked our Maternity Policy which we feel is really great! We also have something rather exciting in the pipeline on top of all the other benefits we offer! We have grown quickly and have had to integrate a number of SME agencies with differing benefits which has taken some time as I am sure you will appreciate but we are now consistent with our offering and certainly competitive with all the other agencies in our sector now. Regarding your role description, without any specifics, we hope you were able to give feedback via our on-boarding survey for new joiners and to your manager to raise any concerns. We have a really engaged Leadership team who underpin everything we try to achieve for our people, striving to offer learning opportunities, support and encouragement. I often write about the fact that we ask our employees to drive their careers here; after all only you know what you want to learn and achieve so you are best placed. We then help and advise off the back of your individual requirements. We wish you the best of luck with your next role.

6. "A good stepping stone to better things"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in London, England

I have been working at Merkle full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is a lot of training that will get you up to speed fairly quickly. There are lots of events. St Katharine's Docks and Bermondsey are nice areas. Global offices if you manage to score a move. If you do two years here your LinkedIn will be packed with offers, a few colleagues moved to Google, for example.

Cons

It got too big, too fast. Processes are tangled, performance reviews are a joke as is the goal system, salaries are uneven across teams. So much effort is required to change even the smallest thing. This is because to break into the EU market they bought out lots of companies without thought of how to combine them. Your experience will depend massively on the team you are in. There are a LOT of grads which makes the place quite cliquey and lots of presentee-ism. Quite a lot of pressure to be "MerkleProud", not a great place if you want to separate your career and your personal life.

Merkle2019-12-14

December 16, 2019UK People Team

Thank you for your comments. It’s great to see that you feel our training is great; it is something we work hard to shape to help you elevate your career upon joining. We have a pretty impressive social event calendar too and agree our offices are in fab locations! We are working hard on our internal mobility policy and now broadcast our EMEA roles fortnightly to our employees with the option to search for Global roles too. We really actively encourage mobility in Merkle and our aim is to provide opportunity to grow your career within our organisation. Our growth has been rapid, but we think moving from a smaller agency has bought so much opportunity and put us top of our field; our 2019 award wins certainly demonstrate this! Our performance system is based around the employee setting their own goals and working with their manager to achieve these. We think this is the best way to ensure that you achieve what you want to personally achieve. Due to the growth there is much opportunity to get involved and help shape our processes and business. We do move at a past pace so think this is the best environment for someone that looks to embrace this opportunity and be recognised for enabling efficiencies and change. In parts of our business we do hire at the entry level (grads, non-grads and career changers) but within these departments we also hire experienced people too. We are constantly looking at our culture and how we can best shape this for our business whilst remaining focused on our clients.

7. "Uninspiring Work After 1+ Years"

2.0
    Current Employee - Marketing Associate in London, England

I have been working at Merkle full-time for more than a year

Pros

Intelligent and driven people Fun & sociable office Great learning opportunities at the start of your career

Cons

After 1+ year client work becomes quite repetitive, but it's difficult to move away from it when the agency is understaffed. Being responsible for multiple clients at once is stressful and can easily lead to mistakes. If you want to take annual leave, you need to beg your colleagues for holiday cover. Not much transparency around pay

Merkle2019-12-13

January 20, 2020UK People Team

Thank you for your review. It is good to hear you feel surrounded by such a great group of people and that your early learning bought lots of development opportunities. Last year we put real focus on internal mobility. We broadcast all live roles fortnightly and really encourage people to apply to roles if they are looking to change focus. To make this process as easy as we can our people can identify and interview for another internal role without the need to flag to their line manager; we acted on feedback to make this change and hope you prefer this process. If you wish to move roles and are finding this tricky please come and speak to the People Team. Your comment on working across multiple clients is interesting. The majority of feedback we have had to date is that people prefer a broad and diverse client base. However this should not mean that it is a challenge to manage your work so please do discuss this with someone you feel can help you manage your work better. It might also be worth providing some ideas around holiday planning if you have an idea to improve this within your team. On pay, like most companies, we do not make salary levels public. If you have a specific question on this please do let us know.

8. "Switched On People"

4.0
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England

I have been working at Merkle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Healthy attitude to work-life balance Friendly, switched on people to work with Responsibility given early Wide scope for progression/lateral moves Office location

Cons

Culture diluted with headcount growth Workload often makes it impossible to take advantage of development opps Recent senior external hires mixed results

Merkle2019-11-24

November 25, 2019UK People Team

Thank you for your review. It is great to hear that you feel that you work with great people here at Merkle with the opportunity to grow your career in a great culture. We too also feel very lucky to have such fantastic office locations!We have had another incredible year of growth bought about by client growth and new wins which has bought a lot of opportunity. We believe that it is important to let each individual identify their personal development and for us to help enable this where possible. This way we can be sure we are focused on helping you achieve your career goals. We put a great deal of effort into managing development as we know it is so key to each individual. I would urge you to speak to your manager if there is some specific development you are seeking so that you can understand how and when you might expect to achieve this.

9. "Losing faith"

Current Employee - Junior Associate in London, England

I have been working at Merkle full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lovely people to work with, a lot of responsibility and a good office location.

Cons

Promotions and knowing where you stand with progression is a grey area. There have been a number of employees leave as concerns have not been addressed. There is a lack of transparency with senior management. Oddly, they are also anti working from home, which is offered in many other agencies.

Merkle2019-11-14

November 15, 2019UK People Team

Delighted to read that you feel that what you do, where you do it and who you do it with is such a positive experience for you! We regularly celebrate and congratulate all internal promotions and internal movers through our newsletters which demonstrates just how many we have right across the business. Both our career development and internal mobility agendas remain hot topics in the business. Some of our recent initiatives to be more transparent with opportunities have had great feedback and some really positive results. Our business is growing at a rapid rate which has seen an increase in better career opportunities for our employees. Equally we ask each employee to be responsible for identifying developmental points and career opportunities so that we can understand specific desires and help work towards meeting these and making these possible. We will certainly bring your comment regarding home working to the attention of our Executive Leadership Team. As a rapidly growing and transforming business, our leadership are exceptionally keen to keep our people close and connected. We have fantastic offices which we get great feedback on. We believe that one of the reasons for our client success is the way in which people work closely which enables us to be agile and highly engaged. We are certainly not adverse to working from home; we have many examples of this in the UK business. For some teams however it makes sense for them to be office based and working closely together. We take our employees well-being incredibly seriously. We have frequent initiatives, talks, activities and a solid support network to help our employees with any aspect they might be finding challenging so are sorry to read your personal comment on this. Please do let us know if we can support you more in anyway at all.

10. "PPC"

Current Employee - Paid Search Manager in London, England

I have been working at Merkle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of benefits and fun people to work with

Cons

Can get very busy at times

Merkle2019-10-23

January 20, 2020UK People Team

We love a 5 star review! Thank you! Sounds like you are really enjoying working with your colleagues....a reason that we take such care and effort to hire the best people for our teams. It is true that as an agency we do get busy.....but wow does it mean in a blink of an eye your have learn so much!! But don't struggle alone if things ever become too much. We have huge support to avoid stress in the workplace so always come and have a chat if you ever feel a little overwhelmed. We are hear to listen and help always!

Found 414 reviews