Next Jump Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

2.6
Next Jump Founder, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Charlie Kim
Charlie Kim

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Lots of free food/ free breakfast/ late evening work dinners" (in 20 reviews)

• "You have so much freedom to work across different teams you can learn a lot in 1-2 years" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours and six day work weeks are the norm" (in 22 reviews)

• "All of upper management is toxic, they micromanage but then claim they want to help you develop things on your own" (in 14 reviews)

"Accelerated personal a career growth - nothing else like it!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Next Jump full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Next Jump really believes in giving people people more responsibility than they can think they handle. You will end up going outside your comfort zone a lot and working on many tasks that would normally be outside your job role. When you look back, you will be amazed and how much you were able to achieve that you didn't think possible. While this isn't for everyone, I have found my own career growth to be massively advanced when compared to my peers, having had experience with all parts of running a company, from HR, Finance, Engineering, Customer Support, Client Management. If you are interesting in running your own company or being in a startup - this is an ideal training ground.
    - Working with other companies and improving their company culture is really eye opening to the pervasive issues in the rest of the industry. While Next Jump is by no means perfect, its very open to criticism and is honest about where it needs to improve. Sharing those lessons with the employees and other companies makes the company feel very human, and constantly changing.
    - You feel cared for. I feel like everyone around me cares for me and is trying to help me be the best I can be. Everyone is a genuinely nice person and lots of people make life long friends. Management take interest in peoples lives and try to help (some really amazing stories from the CEO helping out people).
    - The company does encourage people to be themselves and honest about their strengths/weakness. This can be challenging and strange at first, especially as from childhood we are told to only show our strong side. However, in the long run this makes everyone more rounded, humble and open to other ideas. Has also helped me in my personal life tackle approach issues i would have ignored or struggled at, by considering how I am at work reflects me at home.
    - The benefits/perks are pretty good (outside of personal growth). Dinner is often provided, laundry, laptop, trips to New York, gym membership, drinks/snacks etc etc.
    - The Co-CEOs are extremely honest, authentic, hard working and dedicated to the company and the people who work here.

Cons

- All of the above takes a lot of energy. Not just to help yourself but to help others. Nobody works on the weekend, but you will be expected to work beyond the 9-6 hours, generally during the q4 period which is busiest. This isn't a clock in, clock out job and that attitude doesn't survive well here (but they are upfront with this).
    - The responsibility and level of decision making expected is often beyond what you feel you can do, and can feel unfair at times. However, you are making decisions someone 10-20yrs + experience would be making elsewhere.
    - Sometimes the decisions made on employees is whats right for the company, but not for the individual at the time (or can feel that way). Especially when you feel you have put a lot of effort in or deserve something, management (with a bigger picture/experience) feel differently. Often these are discussions around perks or career growth.

Advice to Management

I do think there is an issue with (or at least the perception of) long term career growth beyond 4-5 years. While many small companies have this problem, I think we should strive to provide a path for long term. Especially when those people leave with vast amounts of training and experience, its the junior people who feel the pain (lessons lost).

"One two three four five"

I worked at Next Jump full-time

Pros

Good work culture encourages you to improve

Cons

Too personal with what they ask you

"Opportunity + responsibility"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Next Jump full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As well as decent compensation and very competitive perks (including some very unique ones - trips to NY, weekly laundry service), the main pros are around Next Jump's investment in you, and the career progression opportunities offered. The level of trust and ownership you will be given is huge, but with a robust support system in place to enable to accelerate your growth and learning. Everything in the company is geared towards bettering you as an individual, and there are so many initiatives baked in to day-to-day life as a Next Jumper which enable you to do so. A true meritocracy, where you will get out what you put in.

Cons

With a lot of responsibility comes downsides. You will need to be ambitious and have true perseverance at times to succeed. Rapidly accelerating your personal and professional development is not always easy (although comes with great reward), but if you're not bought into this development, Next Jump may not be the place for you.

"Don't get sucked in because of they money"

I worked at Next Jump full-time

Pros

Free food
    Pay is good but it comes at a price (see below)
    That's it.

Cons

Literally everything in the company is a con. The 'managers' (inexperienced bunch of grads) are like high school bullies. They also treat non-fulltimers / temps like fleas and this is condoned by all full-timers no matter how nice they are. Including MDs.

When I say everyone talks about everyone 24/7, that is all these children do.
    They also want to know a ton of stuff about your personal life through what they call 'PLB'. It's intrusive and probably breaking some parts of the British Law.

They believe in 'collective suffering', it's just a bit mental that the company hasn't been under a watchdog investigation. It can really damage your mental health.
    Their job descriptions are really vague.

Advice to Management

Just be nice, decent humans??? It is not hard! Isn't that part of the company's ethos anyway?

"Would never work here again"

Former Employee - Customer Experience Associate in London, England
    Former Employee - Customer Experience Associate in London, England

I worked at Next Jump full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are some good incentives. Fresh free fruit and food is great. Pay is decent for the work you do. Toastmasters is a nice touch.

Cons

However, the negatives in this company are countless. It’s extremely cliquey in the London office - there is extreme hostility and the management are the worst. They want to know everything about your personal life and nothing is ever left alone about you. Your personal details are discussed like in a school playground. Team leaders bully younger peers and temps and perm people are divided. Temp people are made to feel undervalued and underappreciated. The company’s turnover rate is off the roof and hasn’t experienced growth in the past 12 years. Pointless initiatives on culture are forced and are a clever way of covering up what they really are as a business - which is selling coupons. They are not an innovative startup in the slightest. Dirty offices in a location that has faeces just out the door. I would never work here again. They are honestly some of the most toxic people I have come across and I am so glad I left.

Advice to Management

Your management style can only go for so long before the true horror of what you do to your staff comes to light. Listen to colleagues and hear them crying in despair. Don’t dismiss someone’s capability based on the amount of tickets they answer per day at work.

"Nightmare"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Next Jump full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The cons far outweigh the pros...

Cons

- crazy cult like culture based on fake psychology techniques- they want to break you so they can ‘make you’
    - a lot of bully and backstabbing. Be prepared for people to discuss your private matters
    - crazy working hours for little returns. They expect investment bank hours but won’t pay you for that time.
    - litter consideration for staff, especially temps
    - barely any diversity

Advice to Management

Please just quite so someone else can run the ship before it sinks.

"With lots of responsibility comes lots of growth, but also stress"

Current Employee - Business Associate in London, England
    Current Employee - Business Associate in London, England

I have been working at Next Jump full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

From Day 1, I have been given a lot of responsibility in my role - much more than at previous workplaces. This has driven my personal and professional development forward tremendously. The big responsibility comes with a transparent and open culture where it is encouraged to share failures and worries as an accelerator for personal growth. There are (bi)weekly coaching and mentoring sessions with senior employees to get unstuck and upgrade.
    Benefits are amongst the strongest in the industry (pension, private healthcare, salary, health & wellness).
    It is a young team that is committed and has fun together, running a solid business and exploring exciting new possibilities in the enterprise market.

Cons

With lots of responsibility and growth come long working hours and lots of projects to juggle. If this is not for you, then you will not be happy at Next Jump in the long run. Stress is often high and expectations sometimes unrealistic.
    Processes (technical & HR) would often need to be more robust and rely to much on employees executing well.
    Transparency on payments and bonuses as well as promotions could be higher.

Advice to Management

Next Jump is a great place to start your career if you are willing to put in strong effort. The company could invest more in making it attractive beyond 3 years of tenure (benefits and professional growth). Management needs to find better balance of appreciating contribution of employees versus always pushing for higher standards.

"Bad Management"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in London, England
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in London, England

I worked at Next Jump full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Breakfast was good, but nothing else

Cons

Terrible management, cult like work , loads of liars

Advice to Management

Get a new team

"Do not apply"

Current Employee - Associate in London, England
    Current Employee - Associate in London, England

I have been working at Next Jump full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

literally none... maybe just leaving was easy and my experience has taught me what not to become as an employee and colleague

Cons

- terrible location, had to often ask homeless people to move to access the front door and twice saw people urinating on the door, if you can't feel safe in your place of work you need to really reassess your job (which is what i did!!)
    - there is a dire lack of communication between teams, a hierarchy between full-time staff and temp, workplace harassment (email and online chat threads making jokes about the staff, actively excluding some staff from events and meetings)
    - the pay is an insult considering the education requirements, you are better off working in retail for better hours and job satisfaction

Advice to Management

- answer your teams emails by EOD, if you can't reply to an internal comms within the day when you are in in office, reconsider your position
    - don't exclude your staff from meetings and activities based on whether they are full time or temp
    - don't have work email and slack groups which engage in workplace harassment or bullying
    - reassess what you want from your staff and engage in some respect to your new-comers, it isn't difficult to be a nice person

"Brilliant"

Pros

Small dynamic fun startup in london

Cons

Small business with young staff