OSTC Reviews

Updated 14 Jun 2020

3.8
OSTC Chief Executive Officer Lee Hodgkinson
Lee Hodgkinson
Pros
  • "Professional yet warm and welcoming work environment, everyone is very friendly and helpful(in 8 reviews)

• "Invaluable access to real-time trading conditions and the thoughts and experience of successful working traders(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long Working hours which is quite common in Financial Markets(in 18 reviews)

• "almost no promotions, just for traders(in 15 reviews)

1. "Great place to work and develop"

Current Employee - Management

I have been working at OSTC full-time

Pros

Positive environment, passionate staff, friendly work environment, good development opportunities.

Cons

Cannot think of any cons

"OK if you're starting out, to get experience"

Former Employee - Administrative in Bromley, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at OSTC full-time for less than a year

Pros

Social stuff, pizza, generally friendly people, informal, handy for the station. They can be flexible about what days you come in. They do want to change things and be progressive. I believe their training is good for trading staff.

Cons

Some people had just been there too long in my opinion and one or two had difficult personalities. I'd never heard of OSTC before I joined. Very little parking on site unless you're senior or are members of a small group who can get permission. Feels quiet at holiday times when some people work from home. Long hours (although they want to change this) and you may be just largely left to pick things up yourself. Key to your job enjoyment will be getting accepted by 'the group' you work with/for.

3. "Great employer"

Former Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in London, England

I worked at OSTC full-time for more than a year

Pros

Transparency in the company processes Great career opportunities Reciprocal communication structure Work- Home balance

Cons

Personally didn't have any

4. "Great company with enthusiastic employees"

4.0
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Bromley, England

I have been working at OSTC full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people love their job! Nice offices, good location.

Cons

The company is growing quickly and they are trying to set up the necessary framework to support this but this is a work in progress..

"Extremely Poor Prop Firm"

1.0
    Current Employee - Trader in Swansea, Wales

I have been working at OSTC full-time

Pros

No Pro's at all, do not consider working for this firm. Industry Trading Salary is 3-4 times higher elsewhere in other funds.

Cons

This proprietary trading firm is probably one of the worst you could ever get a job at. They aren't even ranked globally as a top firm, the firm thinks they are regarded as a top liquidity provider from exchanges when in fact other firms do the same volume they do in a year in a day. Their entire business model is based on volume rebates from exchanges, they focus on volume rather than profitability and will force volume on its traders if they are close to their targets even encouraging them to loose money to hit their volume targets. The firm has zero expertise on anything fundamental to do with any of it's trading products and OSTC management are extremely poor at trading, the office joke was the MD was an outright gambler, taking on excessive risk and encouraging traders to follow his "style", no proven strategy.

OSTC Response

August 29, 2019HR

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. OSTC values openness and transparency, Glassdoor reviews provide us with clear feedback into trader viewpoints. At OSTC, we pride ourselves on delivering extensive training that covers numerous topics; such as Technical Analysis, Fundamentals, Execution, Risk Management, and Trader Psychology - all of which are applied under the OSTC Trading Model. OSTC is not a fund and doesn’t operate as such. In fact, it is one of the very few proprietary trading companies that offer a basic salary. We believe that this, combined with the fact we fund trader’s accounts and provide extensive training, shows OSTC’s commitment to investing in our employees. Volume and profit targets are ever-present in our performance-driven environment. Our experience has shown that our most successful traders have followed similar growth trajectories, thus allowing us to measure new trader performance. Profitability is always the key target for all traders. We like to maintain an open channel of communication in Swansea. Joel Hemmings, Senior Office Manager, and I are always on hand to provide support and answer any queries. Once again, thank you for your review and please come and chat to us if you wish you discuss matters further. Kind regards, Ryan Orton Managing Director for Swansea

6. "Great Place to Work (Back Office Staff - Bromley)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bromley, England

I have been working at OSTC full-time

Pros

One of the best things about OSTC is the people. The company has family feel to it, and all staff are approachable, including the Directors. It's very inclusive with social events planned monthly during the summer. There's an obvious scope to grow and develop within the company, which is actively encouraged, especially if you are motivated to do so. The company are dedicated to employee development, with regular appraisals / goal & development reviews. Salary is very reasonable for the area. The company itself is branching out on different directions, and you feel the enthusiasm, ambition and dedication from the Board, which in turn gives the entire company a positive feeling and belief in the future of OSTC. Overall, I would recommend OSTC as a good place to work.

Cons

The lift is still broken after God knows how many years. Good for exercise, but doesn't present a professional first impression of the company. Neither does the facade of the building. Things which i understand are in hand. However, they've been in hand for years, and it doesn't seem to have progressed any further. Another con is the lack of benefits. Salary is reasonable, but I feel more benefits, such a Private Medical / Dental, should be offered to staff.

7. "Trader"

4.0
    Former Employee - Trader in Brighton, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at OSTC full-time for more than a year

Pros

Opportunity to earn good money

Cons

Long working hours, long learning curve

8. "Trader"

Current Employee - Trader

I have been working at OSTC full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Ongoing salary provided, even during initial training (when you're not trading live)

Cons

Long learning curve means you have to be resilient

Continue reading
  9. "Great company culture"

Current Employee - Back Office in Bromley, England

I have been working at OSTC full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flat hierarchies, learning opportunities, lovely office, focus on inclusion and tracking diversity as a measure of success, open and supportive company culture, work-life balance.

Cons

not working lift and the entrance which is far away from welcoming

10. "Life at OSTC"

I have been working at OSTC full-time

Pros

Good communication between senior management and employees. It's easy to talk to anyone on the Board and/or the CEO. It's a very enterprising company and there are good opportunities for motivated people.

Cons

It's a medium sized company, with the constraints that medium sized companies naturally have. It's not really a big issue though. There is lots of scope to prove your worth.

Found 115 reviews