Opower Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated Sep 3, 2019

3.7
Opower CEO Daniel Yates
Daniel Yates
Pros
  • "I know I have the support of some very smart people and I can see my career growth potential here(in 21 reviews)

• "Competitive salaries, with many of the west coast perks you see in the HBO show, Silicon Valley (free massages, Friday lunch, etc)(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "Though things settled down a bit post-IPO, I'd still say work/life balance is tough at Opower(in 14 reviews)

• "Everyone's main complaint is the lack of a 401k match(in 14 reviews)

"A company that ENGAGES.. Addictive!"

Current Employee - Sales Director in London, England

I have been working at Opower full-time for less than a year

Pros

Smart people... I've been working in Intel and Oracle before and the professional level in Opower is even higher. In addition you really feel valued and the management is really helpful. By the way, it's the first time that I enjoy working for a company and I don't mind answering emails on the weekend... Dan and Alex got it! :) When you feel that you are working for a nice company with nice people around and you... are decreasing the climate change... What else can you ask for??? :) I would like to add that even the brand is amazing. We have some goodies that are really nice and Opower is now a real brand with some marketing that is awesome!

Cons

There are two tiny issues I would complain for... First, there are a lot of internal reviews in a bad moment of the year. Second, the goodies that are sent to the offices out of the States are really poor... We don't get the good ones! ;)

Advice to Management

Send more goodies to Europe! And now seriously, please book the review times more wisely :)

Opower2014-07-31
  2. "Once upon a time"

I worked at Opower full-time

Pros

great people; free Friday lunch; good swag

Cons

management direction unclear; products not ready for a competitive market

Opower2018-03-22

"Friendly appearance, cut-throat reality"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Opower full-time for more than a year

Pros

Intellectually rewarding job for a great cause

Cons

Appalling management, cliquey culture. Tangible achievements are not recognized.

Opower2014-03-27
  4. "Good people, good mission"

Former Employee - Client Success

I worked at Opower full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Great people who care passionately about energy efficiency. -Good medical benefits and leave policy once you hit manager or above

Cons

-your happiness will depend heavily on which team you get staffed on. There are some highly under-resourced teams that result in frustration and burn-out among employees.

Opower2019-09-03

"Used to be a good place to work"

I have been working at Opower full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent starting pay. Experience working on interesting projects. Mostly smart and fun people to work with. Good benefits (flex time, work from home, unlimited PTO for managers).

Cons

Tons of people still leaving and morale is low. Oracle is slow to replace or not replacing all the people who left so every one is overworked. Very slow and inefficient processes. Managers are clueless about what's happening in the trenches. Lack of consistent performance reviews and feedback. No raises or incentives. No growth for more experienced people. Oracle killed the Opower culture and now it's like working... in 90s corporate America. Too many meetings and power points filled with buzzwords. Products and internal tools are buggy and lack continued innovation. Politics and favoritism at higher levels and lack of diversity in senior management.

Advice to Management

What made Opower special was its employees and culture and you neglected both and wonder why the company is in decline. If you want to save the sinking ship then focus inward on what's wrong instead of hiring an army of salespeople to make up for lost sales/revenue.

Opower2019-03-30
  6. "Smart People, Interesting Work"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Opower full-time for more than a year

Pros

When I worked at Opower I felt like I was surrounded by smart people. Most engineers were very competent and very engaged in their jobs.

Cons

The pace of change at Opower was glacial. It took a long time to release new products, and the company was large enough (even before being acquired by Oracle) that I didn't feel empowered to change the organization. I was frustrated by the review and promotion process. My boss agreed that I met all the documented points to be promoted to the next level of engineer, but I had to wait a further two more review... rounds to receive the promotion. This was my reason for leaving.

Opower2019-03-20
  7. "A great company with a great mission"

Current Employee - Implementation Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Opower full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Everyone was friendly to work with. Surprisingly well run as a company.

Cons

Not sure how their culture has changed after being acquired by Oracle. Betting it was for the worse.

Opower2018-08-31
  8. "Human Resources"

I worked at Opower full-time

Pros

Wonderful, wonderful mission! Young staff. Lots of energy.

Cons

Because of the youth, there is a lack of seasoned veterans with real business acumen.

Opower2018-09-05
  9. "Used to be great until Oracle"

I worked at Opower

Pros

Environment-focused. Intelligent & hard-working co-workers.

Cons

Opower's mission was lost the moment the acquisition was announced. People left in droves as the company they knew changed before their eyes. In the beginning, upper management assured employees things would not change outside of the company name and a few leaders, but entire workflows changed, orgs disbanded, and benefits slashed.

Advice to Management

Don't forget where it all started and what Opower stood for.

Opower2018-02-04

"A great place to work"

I worked at Opower full-time

Pros

Opower (now a part of Oracle) is an exciting place to work if you care about energy, the environment and technology. In a verrrryyyyy slow moving vertical (the utility industry), Opower is one of the most nimble companies working at scale.

Cons

The utility industry has built (or has had built for it) incredibly robust, but customized, on premise applications to run their operations, and moving those applications into the cloud in the form of configurable SaaS applications is a long and painful process.

Advice to Management

The Oracle leadership is strong in some areas, weak in others, but thematically unified in it's almost total inability to "get" the culture of Opower, or frankly any new software startup.

Opower2018-01-16