Photobox Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.4
Photobox CEO Jody Ford
Jody Ford

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "s jeunes et sympathiques, des projets int" (in 3 reviews)

• "good team, not a hard job physically," (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "If in customer service not much room for progression as roles hardly ever came up" (in 3 reviews)

• "We forecast from our sales targets, not from what we think we will actually sell" (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Empowering manager"

Former Employee - Team Leader in London, England
    Former Employee - Team Leader in London, England

I worked at Photobox full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Had the chance to work in the CS team for almost 3 years as middle management. Clearly the team with the longest tenure ( we change CEO and almost all other Dept but CS managed to keep a strong team). Salary was ok, bonus were very good for the agents, but the opportunities for development ( They pay for my Btech certificate) and the employee engagment helped me a lot. Some strong leadership and a real sense of ownership as we were empowered and not micro managed!

Cons

Some agents made alot more money than the middle management with their incentives and monthly bonus.

Advice to Management

Don't change, listen more to the Customer service.

24 Sep 2018 – Photobox Group

Thanks for taking the time to comment. We’re pleased you enjoyed being part of the team and great to hear your positive views on employee development and engagement. Over the last 6 months we’ve... More

2. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Shift Leader in London, England
    Current Employee - Shift Leader in London, England

I have been working at Photobox full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great career opportunities and easy going environment

Cons

Low annual salary comparing to different companies same role

24 Sep 2018 – Photobox Group

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review, great to hear your positive feedback on the career opportunities and working environment. It sounds as though you are really enjoying your time... More

3. "Supply Chain Manager"

I worked at Photobox full-time

Pros

Nice place to work, great office

Cons

No career progress in short term

"A once-great startup that has sadly lost its way"

Former Employee - Technology in London, England
    Former Employee - Technology in London, England

I worked at Photobox full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to work with billions of photos, some powerful technology and some amazing products. If you’re a (super) senior manager you’ll also get access to an awesome bonus related to company performance.

Cons

Photobox is a startup that became hugely successful. Not because of its amazing products - although they are indeed good. Not because of its awesome technology - although it did the job needed. Not because of its incredible salaries - although they were reasonable for the industry.

No, Photobox succeeded because the team from top to bottom passionately believed in making their customers happy. And everybody there was prepared to go the extra mile to make this happen. Everything else that the company did including their much=broadcast “culture” came from this passion to please the customers.

Sadly this passion has now. been lost. The original team have largely been replaced by people who are great at managing a large business but not so great at understanding how Photobox has grown into the business it is today. As a result it has changed from a challenging, exciting workplace into a toxic, formulaic environment. Talent is pushed aside, management has split into cliques and the focus has been removed from the customers.

If you’re interested in a short-term job that will almost inevitably involve missing impossible targets then go for it. But if you really care about your customers and want to do something to thrill them then you’ve probably missed the boat here.

Advice to Management

Read and act on your customer reviews, feel their pain and sort them out now. Invest enough to do this in parallel with your grand new plans for the business. Nurture your talent or they will continue to leave and you’ll be left with people who have great CVs but little natural ability.

Oh, and the company culture comes from within - you can’t impose it on people by emblazoning it on the walls and making them wear it on a lanyard round their necks. And call “HR” “HR” not “the people team”. We’re. not children.

Good luck, you’re going to need it.

24 Sep 2018 – Photobox Group

Thanks for taking the time to leave us your review. It’s great to hear your positive thoughts towards the products, technology and salary benchmarks.

We appreciate your honest feedback and agree... More

5. "Developer"

I have been working at Photobox full-time

Pros

Collaborative
    Feel you can make a difference
    Flexible working hours
    Great office
    No silo'ing of roles.

Cons

Direction is at best confusing at worst chaotic
    Very high staff turn over
    Performance metrics linked to unrelated departments

Advice to Management

Find Photobox's identity and then stick to it.
    Reward people for their work, don't punish them when the group doesn't meet targets.

30 Aug 2018 – Photobox Group

Thanks for taking the time to leave your review. We're pleased to hear your positive feedback towards the working environment. In answer to your feedback that direction can at times feel... More

"Employees Dropping Like Flies"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Photobox full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of people here are genuinely nice people.

Cons

More people have left this business in the last 6 months than you could imagine. It's become laughable how many 'goodbye emails' are sent. Weekly goodbye do's hosted (for multiple people each week) have become the norm. That should speak for itself, but I'll go into more detail.

The company has just made a bunch of acquisitions over the past several years but put no effort into actually merging them in a way that makes sense. I have never in my life seen such a siloed company. Multiple people will be working on the same project without any idea. Communication is horrible. The systems are a joke. We forecast from our sales targets, not from what we think we will actually sell?? There is literally no room for progression. Leadership is all male - this company is NO place for a female with any sort of drive. The CEO has been asked about the lack of female leadership and responded in his weekly video saying they have recently improved maternity leave (huh??), they are setting up a sponsor program for senior women (it's going to be hard to sponsor women if you have no women to sponsor them...) and they are going to hire yet another consulting firm (their answer to EVERYTHING) to tell us how to improve. They recently laid off around 60 people in Paris. There definitely are genuinely nice people at this company, but the culture is horrible. I don't for a second believe half of these good reviews are genuine.

Advice to Management

Stop acting like you are still a startup. You aren't. Stop spending hundreds of thousands on consultants for jobs that could easily be done in house. You are driving all of your actual talent away. Good riddance.

5 Apr 2018 – Photobox Group

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We're pleased your colleagues made a positive impact on your experience working here. However we're disappointed you feel so negatively about some of... More

"Energetic workplace full of enthusiastic people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Photobox full-time

Pros

Photobox is full of young smart people who are eager to learn and collaborate. The atmosphere in the building is very light with regular socials. There is active encouragement to train up with new technologies so it always feels like you are growing.

Cons

Initially the pace can be quite overwhelming if you are coming in to a new industry

22 Nov 2017 – Photobox Group

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review. We're proud of our people and we know there's a huge appetite to learning exciting new things; watch out for an enhanced Learning & Development... More

"A fast-paced, fun and exciting place to work"

I have been working at Photobox full-time

Pros

Firstly, the people here are great. Really supportive, super bright, encourage you to think big but also a lot of fun. It also feels like a really exciting time for the company, lots of really interesting stuff going on and a genuine desire to make it a great place to work. The office location is great, there's a real buzz to the place and they put on some really fun social events.

Cons

The pace of change is pretty great and there are a lot of initiatives happening all over the company - this makes me excited but could feel overwhelming for some.

Advice to Management

Join up and connect all of the changes happening across the Group - linking it to the why. Communication is key.

"An exciting future, lots of change, great people, multi brands, multi functions, multi locations..,"

I have been working at Photobox full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Change is at the core. Talented bright people. Cool brands with exciting roadmaps. Busy and buzzy working environment. ‘Betterment Fairies’ Well located offices.

Cons

The pace of change is fast and not for everyone. Sometimes difficult to keep up with the changes. Difficult to describe the culture.

Advice to Management

Spend more time talking about the change and why.

3 Nov 2017 – Photobox Group

Thanks for taking time to comment - we're delighted that things are working out well! You're right though, there's a lot of change happening and we're committed to communicating regularly so our... More

"Great company for teamplayers and experienced engineers."

Current Employee - IOS Engineer in Southwark, England
    Current Employee - IOS Engineer in Southwark, England

I have been working at Photobox full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good team, positive and a lot of opportunities to learn & improve skills. No corporate stupidities. Taking initiative is greatly rewarded.

Cons

Sometimes there is too much bureaucracy.

3 Nov 2017 – Photobox Group

Thanks for taking time to comment, we take all of this feedback on board. We're glad you're enjoying being part of the team.