Photobox Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 20 April 2018

Full-timePart-time

Jody Ford

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • good team, not a hard job physically, (in 3 reviews)

• Much like Vietnam war vets, Photobox employees tend to make friends for life here (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • If in customer service not much room for progression as roles hardly ever came up (in 3 reviews)

• We forecast from our sales targets, not from what we think we will actually sell (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Empowering manager"

Former Employee - Team Leader in London, England
    Former Employee - Team Leader in London, England

I worked at Photobox full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Had the chance to work in the CS team for almost 3 years as middle management. Clearly the team with the longest tenure ( we change CEO and almost all other Dept but CS managed to keep a strong team). Salary was ok, bonus were very good for the agents, but the opportunities for development ( They pay for my Btech certificate) and the employee engagment helped me a lot. Some strong leadership and a real sense of ownership as we were empowered and not micro managed!

Cons

Some agents made alot more money than the middle management with their incentives and monthly bonus.

Advice to Management

Don't change, listen more to the Customer service.

"Employees Dropping Like Flies"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Photobox full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of people here are genuinely nice people.

Cons

More people have left this business in the last 6 months than you could imagine. It's become laughable how many 'goodbye emails' are sent. Weekly goodbye do's hosted (for multiple people each week) have become the norm. That should speak for itself, but I'll go into more detail.

The company has just made a bunch of acquisitions over the past several years but put no effort into actually merging them in a way that makes sense. I have never in my life seen such a siloed company. Multiple people will be working on the same project without any idea. Communication is horrible. The systems are a joke. We forecast from our sales targets, not from what we think we will actually sell?? There is literally no room for progression. Leadership is all male - this company is NO place for a female with any sort of drive. The CEO has been asked about the lack of female leadership and responded in his weekly video saying they have recently improved maternity leave (huh??), they are setting up a sponsor program for senior women (it's going to be hard to sponsor women if you have no women to sponsor them...) and they are going to hire yet another consulting firm (their answer to EVERYTHING) to tell us how to improve. They recently laid off around 60 people in Paris. There definitely are genuinely nice people at this company, but the culture is horrible. I don't for a second believe half of these good reviews are genuine.

Advice to Management

Stop acting like you are still a startup. You aren't. Stop spending hundreds of thousands on consultants for jobs that could easily be done in house. You are driving all of your actual talent away. Good riddance.

5 Apr 2018 – Photobox Group

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We're pleased your colleagues made a positive impact on your experience working here. However we're disappointed you feel so negatively about some of... More

"Energetic workplace full of enthusiastic people"

I have been working at Photobox full-time

Pros

Photobox is full of young smart people who are eager to learn and collaborate. The atmosphere in the building is very light with regular socials. There is active encouragement to train up with new technologies so it always feels like you are growing.

Cons

Initially the pace can be quite overwhelming if you are coming in to a new industry

22 Nov 2017 – Photobox Group

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review. We're proud of our people and we know there's a huge appetite to learning exciting new things; watch out for an enhanced Learning & Development... More

"A fast-paced, fun and exciting place to work"

I have been working at Photobox full-time

Pros

Firstly, the people here are great. Really supportive, super bright, encourage you to think big but also a lot of fun. It also feels like a really exciting time for the company, lots of really interesting stuff going on and a genuine desire to make it a great place to work. The office location is great, there's a real buzz to the place and they put on some really fun social events.

Cons

The pace of change is pretty great and there are a lot of initiatives happening all over the company - this makes me excited but could feel overwhelming for some.

Advice to Management

Join up and connect all of the changes happening across the Group - linking it to the why. Communication is key.

"An exciting future, lots of change, great people, multi brands, multi functions, multi locations..,"

I have been working at Photobox full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Change is at the core. Talented bright people. Cool brands with exciting roadmaps. Busy and buzzy working environment. ‘Betterment Fairies’ Well located offices.

Cons

The pace of change is fast and not for everyone. Sometimes difficult to keep up with the changes. Difficult to describe the culture.

Advice to Management

Spend more time talking about the change and why.

3 Nov 2017 – Photobox Group

Thanks for taking time to comment - we're delighted that things are working out well! You're right though, there's a lot of change happening and we're committed to communicating regularly so our... More

"Pros and Cons"

Current Employee - Customer Care in London, England
    Current Employee - Customer Care in London, England

I have been working at Photobox part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible, Environment, People, Atmosphere, Training

Cons

Salary, Location, Communication, Management Ability, Progression, Opportunities

Advice to Management

Stop using people under you as pawns to get further up the food chain. Without them your job would be obsolete. Respect and clear progression paths needed and communication. Bring back team meetings.

13 Nov 2017 – Photobox Group

We appreciate hearing your take on what it's like to work here. We're very proud of our people so we're happy to see you noted them - and our working environment - as a pro. When it comes to things... More

7. "Could do better but on the right track"

Current Employee - Unknown in Southwark, England
    Current Employee - Unknown in Southwark, England

I have been working at Photobox full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Colleagues are great, care about their work and in the main love the brand. The Southwark office is a really good space and there is a relaxed but focused atmosphere across the teams. Direction of the company is generally back on track.

Cons

Constant change doesn’t appeal to everyone especially if the reasons why are not communicated clearly. Too many decisions made without listening to the guys and girls on the ground who probably have valid insights. Bringing in outside Comsultancies isn’t always the answer

Advice to Management

Communicate, communicate, communicate. Don’t be afraid to tell us what’s happening/going to happen, we will find out eventually anyway. More transparency and direction may help stem the current rush to leave in some areas.

13 Nov 2017 – Photobox Group

Thanks for the review. We're thrilled you love working with your colleagues and feel relaxed here. However we do recognise there's an enormous amount of change within the Group and one of our main... More

"Great company for teamplayers and experienced engineers."

Current Employee - IOS Engineer in Southwark, England
    Current Employee - IOS Engineer in Southwark, England

I have been working at Photobox full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good team, positive and a lot of opportunities to learn & improve skills. No corporate stupidities. Taking initiative is greatly rewarded.

Cons

Sometimes there is too much bureaucracy.

3 Nov 2017 – Photobox Group

Thanks for taking time to comment, we take all of this feedback on board. We're glad you're enjoying being part of the team.

"Loads happening - feels exciting"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Photobox full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really busy environment, an amazing team and a new senior team in place who have brought some big ambitions across the group, lots of new people joining from some really interesting companies and all bringing loads of ideas on products, data, ways of working, development - at the moment it feels like it’s all about the potential of what this company could become, which makes it exciting...

Cons

None really noticed so far, might be too busy or high pressured for some, maybe? Works really well for self starters who can deal with pace and things changing.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating, even more and more - with loads of changes happening, think about how best to manage this and keep everyone updated.

"A toxic environment which celebrates failure."

Former Employee - Product in London, England
    Former Employee - Product in London, England

I worked at Photobox full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The physical production people rock. They ensure the products are made to a great standard.
    Creates lots of gossip that could be used to create a bad movie.
    Parts of the company are very good at writing fake reviews.

Cons

The head office has fragmented into small groups fighting each other with a few long term people who could do great things but stopped giving a damn. The quality of the design has dropped and the amount of failing projects gone up dramatically. What was a old tangled mess is quickly being turned into a new even worse mess. It was very hard to make things worse but somehow this has been achieved, and yet I witnessed people celebrating the failures!

Advice to Management

Listen to exit interviews and look at how things are actually performing. You know what and who the problems are - do something about it. Moonpig is also going down the same rabbit hole.

22 Nov 2017 – Photobox Group

Thank you for taking time to leave us a review, we're glad you think our production people rock, we do too. It’s a shame your experience seemed so negative and contrary to so many others, but we do... More