Post Office Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.8
Post Office Chief Executive Paula Vennells
Paula Vennells

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good pay and work hours, varied work, nice environment" (in 16 reviews)

• "Able to work compressed hours which helped with work-life balance" (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"About a year into role"

Current Employee - Communications in London, England
    Current Employee - Communications in London, England

I have been working at Post Office full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of the most friendly places I have ever worked, lots of opportunities to explore other areas of the business and collaborate with other teams. Supporting branches at Christmas time really helps to demonstrate how the business really helps people. Very much recommend for anyone who wants to work for a commercial business with a social purpose at its heart.

Cons

Can be a little slow to get new project ideas off the ground, but I can see that attitudes are shifting towards a more agile way of working for the future

4 Aug 2018

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. Glad you're enjoying the job, and the experiences you've had so far!

2. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Post Office full-time

Pros

Extremely friendly people work here, I was made to feel welcome and supported from day one!

Cons

7 months in and i haven't found any yet!

11 Aug 2018

Thank you for the 5* review! We're so happy to hear you've enjoyed your time so far and wish you continued success in your role.

3. "Basic retail job, fast paced."

I worked at Post Office full-time

Pros

Easy to use systems, clear processes.

Cons

Low wages, prone to very busy spells followed by very quite spells,

"Much work to be done"

I worked at Post Office full-time

Pros

Pay very well at the lower levels and have an excellent pension scheme. Bonus scheme at management level is fairly good. Paid leave (annual, sick, maternity) is generous.

Cons

Staff very good at playing the system get away with everything as the union has so much power.
    Higher level management are generally clueless and have no desire to hear from those lower on the food chain, even when ideas can be good.
    Constant backtracking and changing things at a higher level, makes it difficult to know if coming or going.
    Different parts of the business don’t communicate, lots done that is at odds with something else done at a similar time (which must have been overlapping projects timewise)
    Little to no support for progression.
    Older staff that have been there years are moved from function to function through loyalty, rather than being the best person for the job lots.
    Lower level employeees scared to give constructive criticism to higher ups.
    While company Bonus scheme linked to anonymous employee survey score given about the higher management - of people give true opinion they’ll get less bonus.

Advice to Management

Something has to change, the environment across the business is truly toxic. The higher management, directors etc need to increase engagement with the low levels by actually getting out there and speaking to people and being open.

More coordination needed across the business. A branch I worked at had a £100,000+ refit which came with a plan for 9 standard serving positions, 5 different queue lines (business banking, travel, identity and self service and main counter) and were told that 2 staff were needed for every 3 self service machines. Branch was given 4. Meaning a minimum amount of staff for the branch queuing format specified during the refit was 6 members of staff. Weeks later a separate project was done to cut staff hours and it was decided only 4 staff were needed 3 mornings a week meaning not all queues could be staffed - absolute shambles.

5. "Paper Girl"

Current Employee - Paper Girl in Cheltenham, England
    Current Employee - Paper Girl in Cheltenham, England

I have been working at Post Office part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Short working hours
    Good Pay
    Easy Job

Cons

Early mornings
    Lack of employee benefits

6. "Post Office is Transforming and its great"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Post Office full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Post Office is striving to innovate and be more financially fair and open with its customers. Basic benefits are good as you would expect from a large employer. There is a decent level of engagement with multiple stakeholders internally and externally which is extremely important and interesting.

Cons

A constantly changing environment - which is good to learn new skills but at times it gets challenging to ensure a common focus

Advice to Management

Try to shorten and reduce the processes, rather focus on ways of working

11 Aug 2018

Thanks for taking the time to leave your comments. ! We appreciate your feedback, and will make sure this is fed back.

7. "post office"

Former Employee - Unemployed in Carmarthen, Wales
    Former Employee - Unemployed in Carmarthen, Wales

I worked at Post Office part-time (More than a year)

Pros

good team and the hours are good

Cons

needs more support at times

"Needs some serious shake ups"

I have been working at Post Office full-time

Pros

There’s some fantastic people working here. Most with have a great attitude and good work ethic. Here to make a difference. Opportunity to develop your skills is endless. It gets frustrating at times because projects take forever to materialise and we have too many processes that hold us back.

The bonus scheme is fair and the benefits are decent for a public sector company. There’s some l shining stars across the business that are underpaid and under utilised because senior managers have their favourites. The teams in our service centre take a lot of flack but in truth they are such hard working people that hardly earn a dime in comparison.

I’m particularly proud of our networks like Women in Finance and LGBT. We have some great advocates. Use them more. Change comes from within. You don’t need a team of project managers and fancy wall charts to lead culture change.

The HR team (who I often observe) are an interesting bunch that are all over the place. There’s two or three really great people in that team that are really doing their best - they’re likeable, approachable and incredibly helpful. It’s a shame though as these individuals are often overshadowed by the by others who spend their days walking round and smoozing with key stakeholders and undermining all the hard work the rest of that team are doing. HR should be setting the tone and leading the way in change. This does not currently happen.

Cons

The problem lies with senior management, our board and the HR Directors who breed gossip and play everyone off against each other but never put action behind the words. It’s becoming a bit tiresome. Post Office have a habit of saying the right things but when it comes to delivering we fall short every time.

I think our CEO is kept in the dark on a lot of the issues. Actually I hope that’s the case because if she’s turning a blind eye then we have bigger problems than I expected.

The senior leaders say they are approachable. They welcome “honest” challenge. They entertain all these great ideas but the bottom line is always the bottom line.... all they care about is what has always been done and doing it exactly how it’s always done. This business has so much potential. You need inspirational leaders that are innovators. It’s becoming a joke just how much money is being wasted on hundreds of projects that normally due to some dated policy or red tape don’t go ahead. In a lot of cases there’s one leader that doesn’t like the idea.

The pay is fair but not consistent.

Advice to Management

Get rid of at least 4 of your “Senior” leaders as we need a serious shake up. They are an embarrassment. How half of them are still employed is beyond me. I see one HR leader gossiping outside smoking 20 times a day and spitting out so called banter to everyone and anyone. Some of things your hear are offensive and unprofessional. We hear about their antics on a daily basis. So many people know and excuse this behaviour but obviously HR are untouchable.

There are a lot of senior managers that have no idea how to manage. In fact they’re shocking. If your face don’t fit or you put one toe out of line (normally for speaking up or having an idea) and next thing agreements and exit plans are shoved down your throat. Also look at how many day rate contractors we have. We are literally throwing away the little money we do have. We have teams made up of contractors and I bet they are earning a pretty dime. Stop restructuring and put some faith in the people that work hard and want to do well.

4 Sep 2018

Thank you for your feedback. It’s great to hear that you’re particularly proud of our various diversity and inclusion networks we have.

However we’re also disappointed to hear the negative... More

9. "Senior Trading Manager"

I worked at Post Office full-time

Pros

Friendly staff, flexible working, opportunities to advance

Cons

Slow decision-making and lack of autonomy

4 Aug 2018

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us, and glad to hear you enjoyed your time working for us. We wish you all the best for your future careers!

10. "Reasonable"

Former Employee - Counter Clerk in London, England
    Former Employee - Counter Clerk in London, England

I worked at Post Office full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good starting salary and working hours.

Cons

Demanding job as selling and meeting target is the main focus of the job. This contradicts with FCA regulations - i.e. hard selling. Management were hard to it’s staff.

Advice to Management

To be consistent with administration of rules and regulations in financial services.