Premera Blue Cross Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Premera Blue Cross Reviews

Updated 16 November 2018

Jeff Roe

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "When I worked there the good about Premera was their work life balance" (in 87 reviews)

• "Opportunities to work from home (yes, in your pajamas" (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • "Flexibility, Work Life Balance, Advancement" (in 16 reviews)

• "Middle management can be micromanagers and not great leaders, but the upper management is excellent" (in 23 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Customer Service-Providers-National Accounts"

I worked at Premera Blue Cross full-time

Pros

I really enjoyed the positive family culture at Premera. Every day that I worked there, I knew I was a part of a team that truly valued our clients and our relationships with each other. Premera has a strong family culture and constantly strives to improve their customer support, making the patient first priority with every new initiative.

Cons

Premera is strongly encouraging representatives to refer clients to online resources so that they could decrease call volume and increase customer comfort with online materials. While this is great for the company, it led to a lot of fear within our department about job security and longevity. Other departments had conducted large-scale lay offs within the same period.

8 Mar 2018 – Vice President, Customer Service

Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback. It sounds like you and your team truly embraced our purpose of improving customers’ lives by making healthcare work better. As you mention, taking great... More

2. "ok"

Former Employee - Administrative in Bolton, England
    Former Employee - Administrative in Bolton, England

I worked at Premera Blue Cross full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

ok company to work for i liked it

Cons

none really it was ok there

Advice to Management

none

"Terrible"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent health insurance, not great

Cons

Poor management, stressful micro managing

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees

10 Apr 2018 – Vice President, Customer Service

Our employees are our greatest asset and we’re committed to providing an environment that allows them to do their best work. Based on your feedback, I am disappointed to learn that was not your... More

"Premera is Changing"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Mountlake Terrace, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Mountlake Terrace, WA (US)

I worked at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits and parking

Cons

You don’t feel empowered to make decisions and you have to check with the chain of command before doing anything

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, they are good workers and have customer focus in mind

14 Nov 2018 – Director, IT Management

I agree, our employees drive our customer-focused culture. Providing an environment where they feel empowered is important. Thank you for your sharing your experience and feedback.

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountlake Terrace, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountlake Terrace, WA (US)

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than a year)

Pros

High connection to company purpose; good benefits; transforming its business and culture to drive a lot of value for healthcare

Cons

Need to improve empowerment and decision making at individual contributor level; change management across organization

Advice to Management

Increase trust in employees by empowering them and push decision making down.

26 Oct 2018 – Director, Employee Experience

I'm happy to hear you find value in working for Premera and putting the customer at the center of all we do. We are driving a lot of change and continue to develop a culture where employees are... More

"Lead"

Former Employee - Lead in Mountlake Terrace, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Lead in Mountlake Terrace, WA (US)

I worked at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good co workers, good benefits, great location

Cons

Bad management, poor quality in leadership

26 Oct 2018 – Director, Employee Experience

Thank you for your feedback. As our company evolves, we continue to invest in development programs that support our leaders and employees. - Amanda J.

"Employees are not valued"

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work from home, flexible hours

Cons

Team leads and mid management have no respect for their employees; Human Resources refuses refuses to assist employees when they are asked for assistance. Policies and procedures do not apply to everyone, huge issue with politics and favoritism. If you try and resolve an issue with mid-management, they just tell you how right they are and it is a total waste of time. Since CEO Jeff Roe has taken over, employee benefits have decreased and he is more interested in his bonus than his employees,

Advice to Management

You may want to respect everyone, respect that employees have something to offer, value their talents and quit acting like everyone is disposable,

9 Dec 2018 – Director, Employee Experience

We care deeply about our employees and are concerned about the feedback you have shared. As a current employee we strongly encourage you to reach out to your HR Business Partner or me directly to... More

"Best Company I've ever worked for! Customer Service Role is without compare"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mountlake Terrace, WA (US)

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Its an insurance company, so the benefits will be amazing. But its not just health insurance! The time off policy is generous, the perks and rewards for doing well are unmatched, and the entire culture is one of shared success.

I have worked at alot of call centers, but that is not what customer service is. Each call, or more accurately, each interaction with a member, you don't have scripts, average handle times, or try to get them to buy anything. Your job is listening, and helping people make the best decisions they can, and helping them as much as possible, through some of the most difficult crisis people face.

Cancer, death of loved ones, teenage mental health issues and addiction are just some of the challenges that come with customer service. I always tell people though, that working for Premera has been like being Bob from the first Incredibles movie, in which the old woman has no idea how insurance works, and he gives her, and all his clients, exactly the right information needed to get what they need. Only at Premera, that isn't something done in hushed voices or keep secret, its your everyday life.

Cons

Change happens quickly - sometimes too quickly, and you spend months having to wrap your head around what your job now entails, only for it to change again once you are comfortable.

Many of the systems and tools are older, and having to navigate to multiple screens to get what should be a simple answer is difficult. But they are aware of it, and streamlining and moving in the right direction. Vastly preferable to other companies that just accept it is the way it is without trying to make it better.

Advice to Management

Continue sharing your vision of how healthcare should work with us on the front lines, as well as letting us be involved in the decisions that govern our daily work flow.

9 Oct 2018 – Vice President, Customer Service

I’m happy to hear you find value in working at Premera and support our continued focus on the customer. I agree, change is happening quickly. Ongoing communication about our focus on innovation and... More

"Good compensation couldn't keep me there."

Former Employee - Senior Business Intelligence Developer in Mountlake Terrace, WA (US)

I worked at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good compensation package: salary, 401(k), bonus, pension.

Cons

Mid-management allowed seriously hostile work environment to the detriment of several teams and individuals even when HR was notified. Saw this in multiple departments, not just my own. But mid-management had it tough from above them too. Not a good work environment.

12 Oct 2018 – Executive Vice President & Chief Financial Officer

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I appreciate learning from your experience.

"I lasted for only 4 months....."

I worked at Premera Blue Cross full-time

Pros

Employees received a generous gift card for Christmas. Meals were provided during Open Enrollment. Free parking.

Cons

When I was hired, I was informed that my training period would last 8 -12 weeks. However, my training lasted for only 5 weeks because it was Open Enrollment. Consequently, my training was rushed and unorganized. To make matters worse, my class trainer was extremely unprofessional. She halted class on TWO separate occasions to buy concert tickets. It was a joke. But no one was laughing when I taking live calls after 5 short weeks of sloppy training. I heavily realied on the Tech Support Specialists for guidance, but they were usually slow to respond, condescending and generally unhelpful.

Advice to Management

Keep a closer eye on the people who are training new employees.

9 Oct 2018 – Vice President, Customer Service

I am sorry to hear that your experience with Premera was not what we would have hoped. Having the resources you need to do your job is very important. Your feedback will help us improve our training... More