Priceline.com Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Brett Keller

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Much better work/life balance than previous companies where I was responding to email all weekend long" (in 34 reviews)

• "Leadership is dedicated and are "good people"" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Unless you are in the good graces with the upper management, your voice is not heard" (in 7 reviews)

• "No one is steering the ship and while senior management has great vision and direction, it gets lost in execution" (in 3 reviews)

"Neutral place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Priceline.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some great challenges coming up with the CLOUD transformation happening.
    The business is complex and requires a lot of good engineering to get it right.
    Work life balance can be achieved if you don't deal with micro managers like I do.

Cons

The lack of a development plan.
    Most principal engineers are not even seniors.
    Hiring process is not on par with daily tasks.
    No communication between teams.
    Some engineers will do whatever they want to do just because their manager is extremely weak.
    Low budget company - everything is a struggle - even snacks are a problem.

2. "Priceline Sale assistant"

I have been working at Priceline.com part-time

Pros

Friendly staff
    Friendly customers
    Many of cosmetics to play with

Cons

Limited development
    Limited break time
    Limited discounts

"Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Priceline.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance
    Decent pay
    Relatively easy work

Cons

I wouldn’t recommend Priceline if you’re either:
    1) Someone focused on leveling up and becoming a better engineer via learning modern practices. Despite the scale the company operates at, you won’t grow here. Hacky and bad code is more than acceptable here as long as it gets the job done.
    2) Someone who values collaboration and a supportive culture. Soft skills are not valued at Priceline, you’ll see engineers get promoted who are relatively good at what they do but have zero soft skills and as such make terrible people to work with. Management is well aware of these deficiencies and yet does nothing to improve these people or promote better people. Its also hard to get help from teammates if you are struggling, there’s a strong lone wolf culture.

If you’re a decent engineer and are looking for a 9-5 where you won’t be bothered too much Priceline is fine, just don’t go there to be inspired by your coworkers, the culture or the mission.

Advice to Management

Look for the right things when hiring and promoting people, culture a more supportive culture that focuses on professional growth

"Still trying to figure it out"

I worked at Priceline.com full-time

Pros

Nice people, good tech, ok pay

Cons

Too much politics and nepotism

Advice to Management

Listen to employees

"A Company with Purpose"

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Norwalk, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Norwalk, CT (US)

I have been working at Priceline.com full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Priceline is a place where you have the opportunity to become the professional you want to be. The company is highly supportive of initiative and brainstorming. The work/life balance is important as management understands that people have lives and things happen - in return, employees are expected to increase productivity and effort when times demand it. Dress code, attitude and protocol are part of a relaxed workplace while still expecting the best of everyone. The office is an open door and floor plan environment where everyone is encouraged to collaborate, idea share, and think across teams, all in the spirit of being the best travel deal makers. Period. Leadership is just as much a part of the open office and invites everyone to chat at any time with whatever the thought.

I have been with the company for nearly 15 years. I have seen veterans stay and newbies come and go. The company is what you make it and has a good reputation of rewarding those who stay. Personally, I have needed the support of flexible work days, and I know that my demonstrated dedication has earned me that privilege. People looking for a place to have a long term career should consider Priceline. There are always opening for new positions in many departments.

Cons

In recent years, we lost a noticeable number of veterans when upper leadership changed, changing the goals and priorities of some of the departments. Things are just starting to settle back to calm, but the change is still noticeable. We all recognize that change has good intentions, but it must be paced and accepted by those who will be physically enacting the differences. Some employees were terminated, and some left out of frustration.

Advice to Management

While the stock benefits and bonuses can be generous when the company is doing well, pay raises have barely kept up with cost of living increases, which in the end is not a raise. Employees need to feel valued both by not only internal praise, but with real economic and job promotion compensation.

6. "Very good opportunity for young developers"

I have been working at Priceline.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of interesting work (You have to push for it).
    Good Pay
    Very Good mentors
    Very Flexible

Cons

Worklife balance can sometimes be bad (critical projects). But you end up learning exponentially.

13 Sep 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for your review and we’re glad to hear we are a good home for young developers! We pay particular attention to work-life balance at Priceline, so if you see it as a continuing concern, please... More

7. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Norwalk, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Norwalk, CT (US)

I have been working at Priceline.com full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people and great desire to succeed make this a fun place to work.

Cons

Staffing is tight so you have to be prepared to get your hands dirty. It's fun but not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Keep on pressing for growth. You are on the right track.

13 Sep 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for your feedback, we are happy you are enthused about our direction!

"Caring culture with positive vibes..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT (US)

I have been working at Priceline.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly, upbeat atmosphere with good, solid people! Sr. Leadership is dedicated and are "good people". The CEO engages people and keeps them in the know with regular all employee CEO updates. He encourages questions and feedback, and stresses that family comes first. Our People & Culture leader has made huge strides with providing a stronger department with a driving force to make solid improvements across the board. The company provides perks such as monthly social gatherings revolving around the holidays, etc. , s huge summer party, huge Christmas party, monthly Bagel Thursdays, etc. And the company just celebrated it's 20th Anniversary with a surprise visit from Shatner! The culture is a positive one where everyone treats everyone with respect, courtesy and dignity. All in all, a fun place to come to work everyday!

Cons

Can't think of too many cons....although I feel there still needs to be a push to get great people in, and keep great people.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to feedback. Do what it takes to keep talented, driven, innovative and dedicated employees.

13 Sep 2018 – Chief People Officer

Priceline succeeds because of our employees. The push to hire and keep great people is absolutely our top priority. Thanks!

"Finally Found My Corporate Home!"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Norwalk, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Norwalk, CT (US)

I have been working at Priceline.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company filled with smart, dedicated, and kind people. We take care of each other and our community. And of course, our customers! The lack of bureaucracy and expedient decision making creates an environment where you can contribute quickly and make a significant impact. Titles don't carry the day...ideas do! We work hard, play hard and give hard at Priceline.com. It's a place where I can spread my wings, find purpose and meaning in what I do, and be appreciated for what I bring to the table.

Cons

There is a resistance to change from some employees. Part fear, part stubbornness, part comfort with the status quo. My hope is that they will embrace the vision for our bright future and get on board with us.

Advice to Management

Start tooting our horn. We're a very humble company...sometimes to a fault. This company is a gem that cares about our employees, our community and our customers. Every day we have a positive impact on all three. We need to tell that story.

13 Sep 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for this feedback. While change can be hard, we have changed for the better, and the employees who thrive here understand the importance of continuous evolution. And while we have... More

"when the CEO asks people to put good reviews on glassdoor...."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Priceline.com (More than a year)

Pros

I have the privilege to work with some of the smartest people in different teams.
    Good benefits, but below industry average.
    Learned a lot

Cons

I have to do everything myself without getting support.
    Talented people are leaving at a faster pace I have ever witnessed....very sad.
    I don't think the senior management cares at this point of people leaving.
    Nepotism. Played from the top level down.

Advice to Management

I don't think they would listen, but.....

It's a big change from the time I started till the time I end...Things have changed. I went from motivated to frustrated. At first I just thought I would work with great talent, and learn different cool tech, but it got out of control fast. Our hard work is not recognized. As a result, people are leaving at a rate the fastest the company has ever seen.
    I can't speak too much about other departments, but in Tech, things are getting out of control.
    I don't expect the CTO to know everything about tech, but when he struggles with making basic senses of our vision for development, strategy, or even optimization of our infrastructure, I lost faith after constantly being disappointed. There are projects that lasted more than 2 years that don't even have an adoption rate of more than 5%, and they are STILL debating the fundamental technology architecture.

My job involves working with different teams, and the lack of communications or willingness to cooperate is shocking. I don't imagine people to participate everything with priorities of their own, but as a result, I have seen the most amount of technical debt in my whole career life. It's exhausting, having to constantly fight for what I believe is right. The senior management almost never provides any help after I pledge to them time after time. After seeing people who stood their ground sharing their thoughts being fired one after another, I chose to keep quiet.
    Look at the staff you have left, they are 80% of people who have been with the firm more than 10 years, and unwilling to adopt new technologies or refuse to listen to new ideas. After 5 re-organizations in the past 2 years, most of the vital and talented people left, leaving people who don't have working ethics, who bully their employees, and who refuses to listen in charge.

It's a big problem for my mental wellness. I tried to care, but in the end, I don't want to beat the dead horse.

Good luck.

13 Sep 2018 – Chief People Officer

We were disappointed to hear this feedback. Please know that we take it seriously. You are correct in saying things have changed in recent years - we believe that change was necessary, and that we... More