Priceline.com Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Brett Keller

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Much better work/life balance than previous companies where I was responding to email all weekend long" (in 31 reviews)

• "Incredible resources, friendly people and an exciting/active work environment" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Unless you are in the good graces with the upper management, your voice is not heard" (in 7 reviews)

• "Lack of communication and direction" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Norwalk, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Norwalk, CT (US)

I have been working at Priceline.com full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people and great desire to succeed make this a fun place to work.

Cons

Staffing is tight so you have to be prepared to get your hands dirty. It's fun but not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Keep on pressing for growth. You are on the right track.

"Caring culture with positive vibes..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT (US)

I have been working at Priceline.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly, upbeat atmosphere with good, solid people! Sr. Leadership is dedicated and are "good people". The CEO engages people and keeps them in the know with regular all employee CEO updates. He encourages questions and feedback, and stresses that family comes first. Our People & Culture leader has made huge strides with providing a stronger department with a driving force to make solid improvements across the board. The company provides perks such as monthly social gatherings revolving around the holidays, etc. , s huge summer party, huge Christmas party, monthly Bagel Thursdays, etc. And the company just celebrated it's 20th Anniversary with a surprise visit from Shatner! The culture is a positive one where everyone treats everyone with respect, courtesy and dignity. All in all, a fun place to come to work everyday!

Cons

Can't think of too many cons....although I feel there still needs to be a push to get great people in, and keep great people.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to feedback. Do what it takes to keep talented, driven, innovative and dedicated employees.

"Finally Found My Corporate Home!"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Norwalk, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Norwalk, CT (US)

I have been working at Priceline.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company filled with smart, dedicated, and kind people. We take care of each other and our community. And of course, our customers! The lack of bureaucracy and expedient decision making creates an environment where you can contribute quickly and make a significant impact. Titles don't carry the day...ideas do! We work hard, play hard and give hard at Priceline.com. It's a place where I can spread my wings, find purpose and meaning in what I do, and be appreciated for what I bring to the table.

Cons

There is a resistance to change from some employees. Part fear, part stubbornness, part comfort with the status quo. My hope is that they will embrace the vision for our bright future and get on board with us.

Advice to Management

Start tooting our horn. We're a very humble company...sometimes to a fault. This company is a gem that cares about our employees, our community and our customers. Every day we have a positive impact on all three. We need to tell that story.

"Working at Priceline best working environment of my career"

I have been working at Priceline.com full-time

Pros

good atmosphere and working conditions

Cons

All depends on managers experience

Advice to Management

keep up the team building activities

"when the CEO asks people to put good reviews on glassdoor...."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Priceline.com (More than a year)

Pros

I have the privilege to work with some of the smartest people in different teams.
    Good benefits, but below industry average.
    Learned a lot

Cons

I have to do everything myself without getting support.
    Talented people are leaving at a faster pace I have ever witnessed....very sad.
    I don't think the senior management cares at this point of people leaving.
    Nepotism. Played from the top level down.

Advice to Management

I don't think they would listen, but.....

It's a big change from the time I started till the time I end...Things have changed. I went from motivated to frustrated. At first I just thought I would work with great talent, and learn different cool tech, but it got out of control fast. Our hard work is not recognized. As a result, people are leaving at a rate the fastest the company has ever seen.
    I can't speak too much about other departments, but in Tech, things are getting out of control.
    I don't expect the CTO to know everything about tech, but when he struggles with making basic senses of our vision for development, strategy, or even optimization of our infrastructure, I lost faith after constantly being disappointed. There are projects that lasted more than 2 years that don't even have an adoption rate of more than 5%, and they are STILL debating the fundamental technology architecture.

My job involves working with different teams, and the lack of communications or willingness to cooperate is shocking. I don't imagine people to participate everything with priorities of their own, but as a result, I have seen the most amount of technical debt in my whole career life. It's exhausting, having to constantly fight for what I believe is right. The senior management almost never provides any help after I pledge to them time after time. After seeing people who stood their ground sharing their thoughts being fired one after another, I chose to keep quiet.
    Look at the staff you have left, they are 80% of people who have been with the firm more than 10 years, and unwilling to adopt new technologies or refuse to listen to new ideas. After 5 re-organizations in the past 2 years, most of the vital and talented people left, leaving people who don't have working ethics, who bully their employees, and who refuses to listen in charge.

It's a big problem for my mental wellness. I tried to care, but in the end, I don't want to beat the dead horse.

Good luck.

"Change is hard, but headed in the right direction"

I have been working at Priceline.com full-time

Pros

- Working at a smaller company allows me to have more impact and less bureaucracy
    - Much better work/life balance than previous companies where I was responding to email all weekend long. For the most part, people actually go home at a reasonable hour
    - Benefits are terrific

Cons

- In year two of reinventing our business which is draining. We are on a good path, but driving change throughout the organization is difficult and hard to get everyone on the same page

"Downward spiral"

I have been working at Priceline.com full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Really great benefits:
    401k match per pay period
    Different health plans with separate dental and vision options

Flexible work schedule/location- come in late or leave early for an appointment. Work from home if your job allows, as needed

Cons

Your experience at Priceline depends on what department you work in. Some are in absolute turmoil and I’ve been working in one of those departments. You can see the physical toll that stress and the working environment has on employees. My department lacks unity, communication, and leadership. I used to enjoy my job but now it just makes me sick. My boss is an arrogant narcissist who is too busy floating his own boat to care to understand things that are important or provide any kind of direction or mentorship for his direct reports.

Parties/events were way better a few years back when planning was collaborative/inclusive. Not everything has to be a secret!

Advice to Management

Find a better way to get good talent! Some of the most recent people that were hired for leadership roles in my department have driven it into the ground. They are bosses/managers but not leaders. Some have stayed for a year or 2 and then left but the turmoil they created remains. They hire friends from previous jobs for open positions so the cycle never ends. Constant turnover impacts employees and the work we are doing. Find good people that will stay long term who know how to lead, grow, and develop their direct reports.

Parties, events, and ugly swag do not make employees happy.

"Rife with Favortism"

I have been working at Priceline.com full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Smart peers to work with.

Cons

Unless you are in the good graces with the upper management, your voice is not heard. Favoritism is rampant and it is not even hidden.
    There has been a lot of chaos and reorganizations taking place over the past few years that have only exacerbated the problem of favoritism.
    After the CIO was unceremoniously fired, a new reckless, incompetent CTO took his place and bullied his way around with an ax, slashing and cutting managers at will and bringing in his own "buddies" to continue the carnage. Left in the wake are a bunch of good people either let go, or quit in justified disgust.
    HR personnel are gutless to do anything about it, but then again, in their defense, they are also in fear of their jobs. Privately, they will acknowledge what's happening is wrong, but publicly can't or are unwilling to interfere, even though that is their job - pathetic!
    Do yourself a favor and avoid working for this "wolf in sheep's clothing" company! They really don't care about you - their actions belie their words. They only care about themselves... don't find that out the hard way!

Advice to Management

Middle-management - grow a spine and do what is right for the good men and women that work under you. A good leader will have their employees' back and support them.
    Upper-management - You should be ashamed of yourselves!
    HR - You are useless.

"Sad...really sad."

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Norwalk, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Norwalk, CT (US)

I worked at Priceline.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice work environment, some really great people. Pretty Good benefits. Fun events

Cons

It is very sad to see what priceline has become. It seems daily I get notifications of yet another really talented person leaving the company. It seems to be centered out of IT and Engineering, which is no shock considering the bully of a CTO, Koby. But it doesn't stop there. The HR department has been completely decimated, the marketing department is in shambles, and the hotel sales group is feeling the mostly negative effects of the Agoda/priceline sales team merger. Progress that was made over a period of 10 years is falling apart, seemingly for no other reason than change for change sake. There seems to be no actual direction.

Advice to Management

A serious, hard look at leadership is needed. The moral is the lowest it has been in years and is getting worse every day.

"Trending down"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT (US)

I worked at Priceline.com full-time

Pros

Very talented workforce, pretty good work/life balance, household name brand, good bonus package compared to other companies. Opportunities to learn in the right areas. HR at face value is tries hard to make change

Cons

Director and above positions seem to have a poor gauge on the current state of affairs. Many teams have been in disarray last few years, lots of talent leaving. Dominated by sister companies and competitors. Very little room for growth unless you’re buddy buddy with the right people, and leaders that treat you more like a number than a person.

Advice to Management

Be consistent in work environments. Working culture needs to change. Learn from the way Booking.com does things.