Randox Laboratories Reviews

2.1
Randox Laboratories Founder and Managing Director Dr. Peter FitzGerald
Dr. Peter FitzGerald
Pros
Cons
  • "No sick pay or healthcare benefit (despite having a division dedicated to health and wellbeing)(in 30 reviews)

• "Subject to return to work interviews after time off to be told to come to work if you are sick, even though you do not get sick pay(in 28 reviews)

"Great environment for progression and growth"

5.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crumlin, Northern Ireland

I have been working at Randox Laboratories full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Randox offer great opportunities for career progression, starting with the company on the graduate program it was clear from the beginning that Randox can offer an employee the training and skills to develop throughout many departments. Friendly staff and a positive work environment are one of Randoxs’ many attributes. There is a great sense of comradery and team work.

Cons

The only con would be with regards to fixed holidays. The opportunity to allocate more holidays would be preferable.

February 18, 2020We Are Randox Team Member

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are so glad to hear that you have enjoyed your time with us here at Randox and have experienced some great career progression. Thank you also for flagging some of your concerns with us, which helps us to make Randox a better place. We wish you all the best in your Randox career.

2. "Decent company to get experience with"

Former Employee - Works Order Processing Administrator

I worked at Randox Laboratories full-time

Pros

Friendly colleagues Good HR support Some benefits including discounted Randox Health

Cons

Odd working hours which could be variable Management is not great, several instances where staff on my site had no work to do due to planning errors No canteen, only microwaves, fridges, a few vending machine and kettle Systems are old and outdated, worked with a machine running software from the 90s and all records are paper based (found out documents that were "stored" from 5 years ago were abandoned in an open air warehouse with grass growing in it) and main system we used to update system records iften froze

3. "Positive experience"

4.0
    Former Employee - Scientist

I worked at Randox Laboratories full-time

Pros

Great opportunities for young professionals

Cons

No benefits package included in the offer

"Experience"

Former Employee - Bio Science in Crumlin, Northern Ireland

I worked at Randox Laboratories full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice staff, scenic location, experience to be gained

Cons

Poor management, bad pay, no sick pay

"Not Great"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Crumlin, Northern Ireland

I worked at Randox Laboratories full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some really great people and travel opportunities

Cons

Everything is just very outdated and far behind the competition. Expected to sell products at high prices that were usually not in stock.

Continue reading

"Low pay and no sick pay! high street jobs nearly pay the same."

Former Employee - Biomedical Scientist

I worked at Randox Laboratories full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Polite workers no other benefits.

Cons

Long hours low pay. people working overtime and not getting payed. No work satisfaction for all your progress either promotion.

"Not great"

Former Employee - Graduate
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Randox Laboratories full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you are interested in biosciences, this would be interesting work.

Cons

Extremely low morale made for a disheartening experience

May 15, 2020We Are Randox Team Member

Many thanks for taking the time to write this review. We appreciate all feedback, as each comment helps to make Randox a better place. Many thanks again, and we wish you all the best in your future career.

"Disappointing - has so much potential"

Former Employee - Research Scientist

I worked at Randox Laboratories full-time for more than a year

Pros

Companies generally will never be able to keep everyone happy. There will always be some employee who will feel that they could be doing more. And while that is a fair concern, some companies do alot better than others at trying to build on feedback given to them by their employees with annual feedback surveys and either structured or informal pathways where people can voice their concerns. Pro List: 1. At Randox, they are very willing to accept graduates without a lot of experience which is great. It is a good stepping stone to build experience. Although this can also be considered a con as this is very much used to their advantage. 2. For the most part, depending on where you are, staff are lovely and you can meet some great friends there. Sadly, this is where the pro list ends.

Cons

The con list has quite a few more than the pro list. I was an employee for 2.5 years with Randox. And sadly, the parting message I took from there was how a company should not conduct themselves. One of disappointment and bewilderment that a company who portrays themselves to be of such high moral standing unfortunately does not apply that ethos to their people. Con List 1. The hierarchical structure within the company is archaic at best and unfortunately their is absolutely zero support from some team leaders, from line managers and upwards. Despite your best efforts, senior management do not make any effort to support any issues or concerns that you may have. Their system is not one of fairness or support, but completely the opposite. The atmosphere is appalling and is perpetuated by having people in senior positions within the company with little to no people management skills (although common sense should prevail - be kind, its not that hard). 2. Not only do Randox dictate when you have to take your holidays (you have to save 10 for the August shutdown - which there is absolutely no need for, 3 for Christmas and 1 for Easter Tuesday). So in the entire working year, you can only take 7 days. Desperately unfair as it results in staff having to take unpaid days as they do not have enough holidays. To make matters worse, there are people who work the shutdown and can take their holidays another time. Not a just system at all. Sadly, if you have a family this is completely unsustainable. If you have a family, make sure you consider strongly working here, they will not thank you for it. Prior to Christmas 2018, there were 9 flexible holidays. Without any notice, they emailed a change in the terms of those holidays, reducing them to 7 and opening an email was your 'signature' to a change in your contract. Nothing at all transparent about this process. It was a disgraceful way to treat people. 2. Zero possibility of career progression. They do not encourage or support you expanding your skillset. You might make it as far as team leader. But that is as far as you will go. For anyone who has their sights on career progression, this is not the company for you. 3. There is absolutely no structure in place for any salary review. Some departments get bonuses, others get to handpick who gets a bonus. Never one to begrudge anyone a pay rise, at the very least though make it a fair system. This breeds an environment of complete distrust with the company. 4. While no one wants to be sick and have to take time off work, you better be sure that you never get sick here. Not only will you either have to use your holidays, or take it unpaid, you will also be interrogated by HR as to why you were sick. If you are sick more than 3 days if you have to have a return to work interview, if you are sick more than 3 times in a six month period you also have to have an interview with HR. This is not dealt with in any sympathetic manner, you are made to feel like you are a failure for being sick. And your team leader or senior manager has to explain the impact that you being sick has had on the the team. A horrible, horrible process to have to be put through. 5. There is no maternity pay - not that any company is obliged to do so. But if you are planning on having a family, Randox again will not make it easy for you to do so. 6. Some of the HR department are callous in their dealings with people, any issues which come up, be it personal or company related, do not expect to be dealt with fairly. There are so many instances whereby HR personnel have gone on degrading and defamatory tirades against staff where they have been threatened with being fired if they repeat an action which was up until that point, a daily process. 7. There is no dignity or respect afforded to employees here. If you raise a valid and genuine concern, it is noted. And that is as far as it will go. Despite offering solutions to these concerns, it is just discarded. 8. Staff morale is at an all time low. And the turnover would make your head spin. But rather than try and ascertain as to why countless numbers of highly skilled and exceptional staff are leaving from departments, they choose to ignore it. You are just a number, you will never be worth anymore than that to them. My advice, if you are looking for a company with morals, who put you and your family first, put your career progression and professional development first, who will support you in times of difficulty, who treat you fairly with respect and kindness, look elsewhere. Your life goals will not be supported here.

May 15, 2020We Are Randox Team Member

Many thanks for taking the time to write this review. We value your comments and the time you worked with us. We wish you all the best in your future career.

"Can help build a bit of experience if there aren’t any other options available"

Former Employee - Research Scientist in Crumlin, Northern Ireland

I worked at Randox Laboratories full-time

Pros

There really aren’t many pro’s where this company is concerned. However, if I had to name a few they would be: - relatively easy to get a job when first starting out in the science field - seem to progress quite quickly within a short period of time for the first year. After that year it seems to flatten out.

Cons

- Clock-in/clock-out system that is completely ridiculous. One week you may be up as many as 20+ hours for the week (totalling 60 hours for the one week), the next you might be down a couple of minutes and HR are contacting you asking to explain your absence. - the company promote themselves as offering ‘flexi’ working. When I’m fact this is absolutely not the case. You have to use this time within the one month and it takes 2 weeks notice. That leaves little time for this to be used. - They do not offer sick pay. If you are off due to a sickness they ask you to contact them at intervals throughout the day to update them on how you are feeling, when you have already explained that you are unwell and will be unwell for the next few days. Once back at work you have to do a back to work meeting, which is more like an interrogation. - toxic working environment, with 99% of employees having negative views on work and the company itself. - staff turn over is so high that by the time you help train someone up they have left and the cycle begins again meaning there is no critical mass of experienced employees. - training events are horribly run. It’s more of box ticking exercise for them rather than Randox caring about improving their employees.

May 15, 2020We Are Randox Team Member

Many thanks for taking the time to write this review. We are glad to hear that you recognised the opportunities for career progression during your time with us. We are certainly very proud of our popular student placement and graduate schemes which help those on the programmes get a foot on the career ladder in a world-leading diagnostics company. We also appreciate that you have taken the time to address some of your concerns with us. As an innovative company we always strive to improve, and every comment we get helps to make Randox a better place. Thanks again, and we wish you all the best with your future career.

"tough work"

Former Employee - Industrial Placement in Crumlin, Northern Ireland

I worked at Randox Laboratories full-time for less than a year

Pros

nice area, pretty roads, interesting experience

Cons

had to adjust to be flexible, grumpy staff

May 15, 2020We Are Randox Team Member

Many thanks for taking the time to write this review. We appreciate your comments and wish you all the best in your future career.

Found 209 reviews