Searcys Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 26 November 2018

3.8
Matthew Thomas

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Best company to work for."

Former Employee - Bartender in London, England
    Former Employee - Bartender in London, England

I worked at Searcys full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They offer great rate of pay and even paid to me sick leave when I cut my hand badly at home, not at work.

Cons

I have never experienced any problems with this company. The only one downside of them is they let me to leave and it was a mistake. But this was my mistake.

2. "Waitress"

I have been working at Searcys part-time

Pros

Friendly staff and environment, fair hourly pay

Cons

Poor management, out of order when it's busy

Advice to Management

Set up displines and trainings for beginners

"Good opportunities to learn"

Former Employee - Bar/Waiting Staff in London, England
    Former Employee - Bar/Waiting Staff in London, England

I worked at Searcys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

During my employment at Searcys Champagne Bar, I took part of a lot of training including wine tasting, champagne tasting and cocktail mixing. Anyone who is into drinks or working in this industry it is a unique opportunity to learn a lot about champagne. Also, there are lots of incentives with prizes like concert tickets, weekends at a champagne region, vouchers etc. The company also give a good proportion of the service charge.

Cons

not too many opportunity for promotion. there are some, but not too much.

4. "Good"

Pros

Often lots of hours
    Meet people
    Fed
    Decent training
    Nice staff

Cons

All of these are not necessarily specific to the company (more the industry);
     Finishing times can be very late

The schedule is often not fixed so you need to be organised to get things done in your spare time, if you're working lots of hours.

Irregular breaks

5. "Sound job to get some pocket money"

I have been working at Searcys part-time

Pros

Flexible and great team

Cons

Not v organised and shifts can be chaotic

6. "Mostly an enjoyable working environment"

I worked at Searcys full-time

Pros

Impressive portfolio of venues of varying styles which makes a sales role very appealing. High quality of F&B produced onsite with great back of house teams.

Cons

Very little discussion on career progression and minimal appraisals during my career there.
    Minimal communication from management on news regarding the company and new ideas on growth during brainstorming meetings not taken on board or given the required support to carry out.

Advice to Management

Ensure to adopt a more people focused induction and schedule regular 121s and appraisals to ensure any ideas or issues are being picked up

7. "Stay away if you can"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Searcys full-time

Pros

Good training. The staff was very nice to me, very patient since I was very new to everything. They teach me a lot. It's a champagne business and I learned some cool stuff about it.

Cons

Total disrespect for employees! Don't let the looks deceive you! Their venues look great, but theit work ethic is just horrible!

*Calling you to come early, sending you home before your shift ends. All.The.Time. Like you don't have a life... On paper it looks as you work 35 hours, which can come down to even 20 if it's a slow week. Not worth it!

*Not getting paid correctly. Almost everyone had something wrong in their payslips, this happened so much it can't just be a mistake - it's ripping people off.

*Managers didn't seem to know what they are doing, screaming and insulting their staff, sometimes even when it was their fault.

*In general, they don't train you and then get pissed if you don't know things. It's a joke.

Advice to Management

Learn some management skills.

8. "Front of House associate, Barista in training"

Current Employee - Waitress & Barista In Training in Birmingham, England
    Current Employee - Waitress & Barista In Training in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Searcys full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Team work and social collaboration
    Opportunities to develop within hospitality; I had the ambition to become a barista (before joining Searcy's) and the management saw how proactive I was being as a waitress (in the first few weeks of starting), so they gave me the chance to undertake a training session with the coffee supplier to properly train into becoming a professional barista.
    I thoroughly enjoyed the initial phase of being a new associate to the company where I started to build my professional network

Cons

Physically demanding as you are given more hours each week
    Lack of one to one training between senior and new colleagues
    At times you can't afford to forget the small details so customer experience and service must always be your top priority; even if you know you have other tasks at hand to complete.
    You have to be fast on your feet in this environment

Advice to Management

One to one support to new staff at regular intervals. When the bar & restaurant become very busy, new associates can often be intimidated to ask management for assistance.

9. "face to face."

Pros

Fun People.. all ​people from all (different) ​walks of ​life. with different experience

Cons

communication with in house (non managerial) staff was at times difficult. lack of English language in a kitchen is very essential