Shell Energy Retail Reviews

Updated 7 May 2021

4.2
Shell Energy Retail CEO Ed Kamm
Ed Kamm
Pros
  • "Motivational and engaging working environment(in 26 reviews)

• "Great team, flexible working, good management(in 13 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Pension scheme could be improved(in 20 reviews)

• "No sick pay and longer working hours(in 18 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

Brilliant support & progression opportunities

4 May 2021 - Broadband Technician in Coventry, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Really good communication from management - Excellent progression opportunities - Support when needed - Fair pay

Cons

- Working from home at the moment, looking forward to joining everyone in the office

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Committed to building a great place to work

14 Jan 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked at Shell Energy for over 6 years and have seen significant change in this time, but the core of the business has remained steady - building a workplace to be proud of, and delivering excellent customer service. There is a genuine, and evident, commitment to diversity, and this isn't a one-time focus, it is embedded in our culture. There's much more to be done in this area, but I'm confident that the business is taking the right actions to build an inclusive organisation, that I, for one, feel proud to work for. The development opportunities I've seen are fantastic too, there is a genuine desire from the business to develop talent from within, and I've felt very supported by my manager and colleagues in progressing my career at Shell Energy. Having the business working remotely has been challenging for me, but I've felt the support from everyone in the business to make this a success, and not lose the commoradarie that makes Shell Energy such a good place to work. Other reviews will have mentioned it, but one of the best things about working at Shell Energy is the people - everyone is working towards a common goal of being a positive, successful and responsible energy supplier, and the collaboration makes this straightforward and enjoyable. To summarise, I really enjoy working at Shell Energy and I don't see this changing anytime soon!

Cons

The benefits on offer could be better, and whilst these have absolutely improved over the last couple of years, there is more progress to be made.

Head of Talent and Enterprise Capability Development

What a fantastic review! Thank you so much for the time and care you've put into your feedback. I couldn't agree more - your words echo so genuinely the ethos we live - building a workplace to be proud of and delivering excellent customer service. It's certainly been a journey, and in your time with us you will have experienced first-hand the challenges and transformations as they've evolved, but again to echo your point, it's having confidence in the business to do the right thing. Thank you for sharing that your experience during your time with us has given you that confidence - that's wonderful to hear. I'm so pleased you've felt supported in your career progression with us, as well as during these challenging times. I'm sure you will, but please do reach out if you need any additional support. It's heartening to hear you mention our great people as key to that support. I agree with you - my team and wider colleagues through the camaraderie we share have made those challenging days much easier. I'm personally also very grateful to work with such brilliant people. Thank you again for sharing your enjoyment of life at Shell Energy Retail and for your continued individual contribution to our success! Eleanor

3. 4.0

Positive induction experience

7 May 2021 - People Team in Coventry, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

People are very welcoming and friendly. A great induction experience, well thought-through and my manager had prepared my induction pack before I joined. Lots of support available to succeed.

Cons

As with any new role, it takes time to learn and understand the business while getting to grips with delivering.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great place

30 Apr 2021 - Customer Service Representative in Coventry, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexibility Good pay scale Great atmosphere and culture

Cons

None so far. Company appears well ran

5. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

A great welcome and onboarding

28 Apr 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Open, honest and enthusiastic colleagues who lend useful insight and are keen to get on and do a great job. Many key contacts seem receptive to ideas and insights from a new starter. Very organised and adopting relevant progressive ideas.

Cons

Joining in lockdown limits human interaction that’s useful in early days in particular. No reflection on the company, just the timing.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to work

16 Apr 2021 - Customer Resolution Adviser in Coventry, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great support whilst working from home due to COVID-19, adapted really well. - Supporting company who genuinely care about their employee’s well-being. - Really care about making a difference. - Great development opportunities.

Cons

- Nothing that I can note right now.

7. 5.0
      Former Employee

Very good place to work.

20 Apr 2021 - Software Tester in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Boss is friendly with the employees.

Cons

No negative feedback.All good in the work place and good working environment.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Great support during challenging times

11 Jan 2021 - Project Manager in Coventry, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Fast response to the pandemic, implementing mass remote working and making offices secure. Communicating often about changes based on guidance issued. - Transparent culture - you said, we did communications based on feedback received - Big focus on well-being. Access to Well-being Champions, advice and internal campagns like Happy Heads, as well as fund-raising for MIND UK. - Listening and Involvement - Opportunity to join groups like the Business Involvement Group for projects and the Inclusion and Diversity Network - Work / Life balance - making it possible to have a career and meet the needs of my young family

Cons

- The impacts of change. Change isn't a bad thing, in itself, we need that to continue to grow and evolve, but some changes happen too quickly without the involvement of all key stakeholders. This becomes even more complicated when change involves the parent company.

Head of Talent and Enterprise Capability Development

Thanks very much for your 5-star review! I really appreciate your feedback about our response to the pandemic. Looking back, despite the circumstances, it's heartening to think of just how much everyone pulled together to make the necessary changes happen in such a short amount of time. I personally really enjoyed the colleague stories shared as part of Happy Heads week and I'm sure they inspired others to make the most of the wellbeing support available. We've got a new wellbeing calendar planned for 2021 and it's not only topics of mental wellbeing, but also things like financial wellbeing and physical wellbeing, so there should be something for everyone. We had some brilliant feedback internally about those who had been in the Business Involvement Group. I hope you had a chance to see their video in the internal comms about applications for the new group this year - they helped to shape some really significant projects - like our values and got to work with colleagues who they hadn't met before day-to-day. The Inclusion and Diversity Network were integral to shaping our Commitments. Without that transparency and listening we couldn't keep evolving and delivering for our customer and each other. I noticed your length of service with us - you would have been part of our most significant periods of change - thank you for your continued contribution to our success and I'm really pleased to read that you're able to balance work with meeting the needs of your young family - that's so important. Thanks again! Eleanor

9. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Not that great

7 May 2021 - Administrative
      Business Outlook

Pros

Greedy and cut throat for what it is

Cons

Really need to do better

10. 5.0

Excellent Place to work

26 Feb 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in Coventry, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very good work life balance. A lot of very talented developers. Healthy discussions around tech. Seamlessly transitioned into WFH. Good salary.

Cons

Sometimes things can be slightly over engineered (tech debt). Infrastructure and CI/CD can be flaky and frustrating blockers are created my tech-ops. But everywhere has these kinds of problems especially with tech debt but these are minor things though that I can see getting better..

1 person found this review helpful

Head of Talent and Enterprise Capability Development

Thanks very much for your 5-star review. It's great that you begin your feedback on the pros of working at SERL with mentioning a very good work / life balance. Well-being is at the heart of our We Care core value and we have a very full wellbeing calendar for this year, as well as the supporting well-being information available on our reward and benefits platform. I personally really enjoy Happy Head's week and the stories our colleagues have shared about the available support they have benefited from, whether that's the EAP advice line or speaking to one of our wellbeing champions. Thank you for mentioning enjoying working with your talented colleagues and the healthy discussions you have around Tech. Our talented people are our business and we wouldn't be where we are today without the dedication and knowledge sharing that helped shape the other of our core values: We Embrace Differences, We Evolve, We Deliver. Thank you for your continued contribution to our success. Thanks again for sharing your feedback, Eleanor

Viewing 1 - 10 of 348 Reviews