Shockwave Medical Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.3
Doug Godshall

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales in Fremont, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales in Fremont, CA (US)

I have been working at Shockwave Medical full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Physicians are excited about technology. Product performs as expected and offers additional option for treating severely calcified lesions. Simple to use. A product one can stand behind confidently. Young company in high growth phase.

Cons

Lack of reimbursement resulting in customer push back. Toxic/arrogant culture. Poor sales leadership. Fear based management style. Limited support.

"Bully Behavior within Sr Management in Finance Dept."

Former Employee - Professional in Fremont, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Professional in Fremont, CA (US)

I worked at Shockwave Medical full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pre IPO and Hard working employees.

Cons

CFO and other Finance Management want to push out original staff and hire their own people to do and not ask questions. If you are not liked or respected you are pushed out. They talk behind most employees backs in every department, with major biases and disrespect. This causes a tense and bully type environment within accounting and all surrounding departments. No one wants to speak because they are in fear of the CFO and his bully management team.

Advice to Management

New CEO and Board should look at CFO more before he stirs up a legal liabilty for ShockWave. He seems to have his own agenda. The company has a great future and wonderful people working for it. HR has received Finance leadership complaints they should do more with the information.

"Disorganized, abrasive management, no support, Disheartening"

Current Employee - Clinical Research in Fremont, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Clinical Research in Fremont, CA (US)

I have been working at Shockwave Medical full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting technology! It really works. As far as a medical device Shockwave has great prospects, however their implementation does not inspire confidence.

Cons

I've seen questionable documentation practices, managers be loud and abraisive, people in fear for their jobs and livelihoods because bosses storm around yelling. Also timelines and metrics are impossible to achieve so basically you are set up to fail. It's disheartening. There is no support given for people to actually do their jobs.
    I got yelled at because I tried to order a binder and it was $3. I needed a binder so I just brought my own from home.
    Finally, the interview process was very disorganized - they seemed to have no respect for my time. They rescheduled 5x, changed it at the last minute without telling me, then wasted a half-day of my time because one of the managers who confirmed she was interviewing me forgot she had me on calendar. I was like, thanks, I took a day off work for this only to have to come back yet another day?! I should have taken that as warning as how my entire experience was going to be when I accepted the offer a few weeks later.

Advice to Management

- give achievable timelines to your employees and set clear metrics as to what you actually expect from them
    - less screaming in the office from managers
    - give us the tools we need to do our jobs
    - don't just pay lip service to the staff, actually listen to us we are begging for support!

"Great place to work on life changing technology"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA (US)

I have been working at Shockwave Medical full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

strong, supportive, passionate and collaborative culture.

the company did an exercise about a year ago where they asked each of us to pick 10 words from 100 or so on a list to describe our values as employees (each of us answered privately) and our perception of the company values. when they presented the overall results to the whole staff it was great to see that nearly the exact same 10 words were used by employees to describe their own values and employee perception of the company values. those included integrity, passion, family... the company-unique word that repeated itself countless times was innovation. that is appropriate because the innovation here is terrific. it is place built on innovation that changes peoples lives and we all feel it here. we are on a "mission" of sorts to build terrific devices that doctors use to generate great outcomes for patients. outcomes that cannot be achieved by any other technology. its an incredible feeling to know that what you do every day creates technologies that are used to change the lives of many, many people (patients) that you will never meet but have nonetheless helped in ways that are not otherwise possible.

Cons

there is a lot to get done here. our devices have the chance to change how patients are treated in a few different areas and there are so many different devices we can create. we are focusing on several different types of patients all at the same time and that can make it pretty busy. a good busy, but definitely busy!

Advice to Management

keep it going... ive worked in a lot of places in the valley. this is the most exciting, dynamic, potentially impactful/clinically meaningful place I have ever worked.

keep hiring great people that know what they are doing... and be sure to keep the "no jerks" policy! :)

"Trending Positive"

I have been working at Shockwave Medical full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Exciting time for company, growing rapidly. Lot's of change in the right direction.

Cons

None at this time...

"Great team. Excellent Technology."

Current Employee - Director in Fremont, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Fremont, CA (US)

I have been working at Shockwave Medical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The team at Shockwave is committed to working together to create a great product. We know how to work hard and laugh hard. I trust my co-workers to say what they mean and do what they say. It's a great place if you are forthright and honest and know your part of the business.

Cons

Physical site is not beautiful, but it is functional.