Shopify Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.1
Shopify CEO Tobias Lütke
Tobias Lütke

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work from home while being treated like a regular employee" (in 31 reviews)

• "Great people and great work environment" (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "Creating your healthy work life balance is important" (in 6 reviews)

• "you need to be very self driven to succeed here (which is a pro for a lot of people)" (in 5 reviews)

"Shopify"

Former Employee - Guru (Remote)
    Former Employee - Guru (Remote)

I worked at Shopify (Less than a year)

Pros

- work from home
    - swag
    - learning varied skills

Cons

- laidback culture is not actually laidback
    - poor support
    - insufficient training

Advice to Management

Stay consistent in the values that you communicate to employees/prospective employees

2. "No better place for growth"

Former Employee - Designer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Designer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Shopify full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Work with some of Canada's smartest people
    - Tons of room for person al growth
    - Strong percentage of colleagues show initiative and ownership

Cons

- Rapidly changing (good and bad); easy to throw hands up and tell yourself this is not what I signed up for
    - There is a lot of people in new positions that need more training or are still getting used to their new responsibilities
    - Software is stressful, things that can go wrong do. It's not easy.

Advice to Management

During my career I was often forgotten about. The greatest example of this when I was given a raise, but my manager forgot to tell me about it. Someone should always have a coach/mentor at every step in the career. The simple reason I left was that I felt left behind. On the other hand I was given enormous freedom and flexibility to do what I want.

3. "Customer Success"

Pros

Awesome
    Great
    super fun place to work

Cons

none that I can think of right now

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do

"Spoiled!"

Current Employee - Tier II Escalated Support in West Kelowna, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Tier II Escalated Support in West Kelowna, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Shopify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've seen inside of thousands of business with my IT and consulting businesses and I can tell you Shopify has spoiled me! A vibrant, young culture that is constantly growing, the best benefits you could ask for, low pressure and helpful people. I've never been bullied or bossed around. I love going to work everyday!

Cons

Honestly the worst thing that happened to me is being treated so well if I go work for another company, I likely feel super depressed because they could never compare to Shopify. This company is so unique. Honestly if I had an opportunity to work at Google or Facebook I would turn them down.

Advice to Management

Shopify culture is very unique and almost magical. Keep up the amazing work!

"Fake"

Pros

Saving on gas because you work from home

Cons

Management who think they know what they’re doing but don’t. Who really knows what management does. Once they are out of guruland they have free range and meetings that are unproductive because they’re held so often. How much can you really scrape from the barrel each week? They are trying to stay relevant and act like they are working when it’s the gurus who keep them (and everyone) afloat.

6. "Great Culture, Not Great For Internal Moves"

I have been working at Shopify full-time

Pros

Great culture, great people, good company structure, pay is alright, benefits package is amazing, working from home is great.

Cons

Not enough diversity within the company, seems impossible to make internal moves from the support role.

7. "Shopify Success Guru"

Current Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Shopify full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really care about their staff!

Cons

Big company, really have to make yourself known!

"Awesome place"

I have been working at Shopify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Shopify is all about engagement, empowerment, trust and it is full of really great leaders at all levels. The underlying business is super strong. Great future.

Cons

Hard to have to listen to some of the market noise emanating from some short-selling researchers who are attempting to undermine the business. Great to see the leadership push back on this respectfully

9. "Wonderful mission, culture and humans"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Shopify full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Shopify is a wonderful place if you are comfortable with change and a lifelong learner that has an entrepreneurial spirit and if you are ready to be challenged by smart and benevolent people.

Everyone is working toward the mission and ready to share and receive feedback and lots of time is spend to keep the culture vibrant and shared across the complete organization.

Cons

If you are not ready to receive feedback, evolve in a fast-growing, ever-changing environment, I am not sure you could thrive at Shopify.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work proving context and letting other be smart so that they can grow and scale.

"Front End Developer, Toronto"

Current Employee - Senior Front End Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Front End Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Shopify full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been here almost a year as a developer. I personally think it's the most exciting place to work in Canada and love working here. Here's why:

Meaningful work making an impact to users. The company has a clear goal and you're contributing significantly. You get to make improvements & provide value to the user's lives which is very rewarding.

I've been encouraged to grow in terms of skills. I've learned Ruby on Rails, which I didn't know at all before. I've given a talk in front of a large group & wrote a blog post, neither of which I've ever done before and never imagined I would. This place can really encourage growth & improvement. Even though I'm a front end developer, there have been no issues with me doing some back end work or helping on other projects. It's all on GitHub and open to pull requests (feels like open source within the company).

With thousands of smart & talented people in a culture where they can do amazing things & innovate, amazing products are created. The people here are very talented & helpful. Everyone supports & roots for each other. On Slack, we celebrate each other's accomplishments. Most of the people here could work anywhere. Many come from start ups in Toronto or moved from different parts of the world to work here.

There are many opportunities to get to know others & work with them, for example Fancy Friday lunches once a month where you go to out to lunch with others (paid for by Shopify). Or a system that randomly matches you with others for lunch. Hack Days is another great chance to work with people you don't normally work with.

Even though it's a big company, there is little bureaucracy. There is tons of internal communication where everyone shares what they're doing and everyone can ask any question and get an answer quickly. We're constantly doing things & telling people so that people are inspired & get feedback or help if needed.

Compensation is high with public stock, something many other Canadian tech companies can't offer.

Great offices, food is usually good, house-cleaning perk. Sometimes I come into work and there's someone cooking fresh eggs for you. Book bars where you can borrow some interesting books. Internal podcasts!

Personally, I've never had to work evenings or weekends. Work from home & hours flexibility (can avoid rush hour on subway).

Tooling is great: Github, Slack, with many integrations & reasonable processes. Because there are several cities, there are many cross-location meetings, but with google hangouts & livestream infrastructure it's painless.

Really amazing employee conferences/events like Summit, opportunity to travel to other offices.

Even though there's free beer/wine/drinks, it's not a very drink-heavy culture. There's no obligation to stay late for things like hack days, so I find it very inclusive for those in different life situations. People may have a beer or glass of wine during town-hall meetings, but I haven't seen it ever go too far.

The employee population is diverse by gender, race, age & life situation, although it may skew younger than many larger corporations. Many women in leadership roles.

As with other tech companies, love that we can wear anything to work (shorts, hoodies, t-shirts).

You're always encouraged to give your honest opinion (in a respectful way), even if it challenges others.

If you're a developer, how cool is it that the CEO wrote the original code for this big Rails app that tons of people run their businesses on?

Cons

Growth rate is extremely high. After a few months, many on your team are newer than you. This is both exciting & has challenges. Each team or group can be different or have different processes, so my perspective might not be representative of all experiences working here. I've been here about 1 year and many are newer than me.

There's a good on boarding process but I personally found Ruby on Rails to have a bit of a steep learning curve, coming from a JS background. Having said that, there is a lot of support and I've been able to learn it & contribute.

There are 3 separate buildings in Toronto. The buildings are all nice but one of them is a bit of a walk away from the others, so you may not see people from there as often.

With multiple cities (Ottawa, Toronto, Waterloo, Montreal, SF), groups can feel fractured, but travel, Slack & remote meetings can mitigate this.

Those coming from more traditional companies might experience some culture shock by how casual & laid back it is here, but I think it's pretty standard for a tech & Silicon Valley style company. I've always worked in tech (in Canada) so things like sandals at work or beer at work is not shocking for me personally.

There is a lot of autonomy & freedom which can be good for some, but an adjustment for others. Sometimes you have to find your own work and ways to contribute.

Advice to Management

You've built something special here, thanks!