Shopify Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.1
Shopify CEO Tobias Lütke
Tobias Lütke

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work from home while being treated like a regular employee (in 28 reviews)

• Great people and great work environment (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Creating your healthy work life balance is important (in 6 reviews)

• This includes handling 3 chats on Day One (in 7 reviews)

"Shopify"

Former Employee - Guru (Remote)
    Former Employee - Guru (Remote)

I worked at Shopify (Less than a year)

Pros

- work from home
    - swag
    - learning varied skills

Cons

- laidback culture is not actually laidback
    - poor support
    - insufficient training

Advice to Management

Stay consistent in the values that you communicate to employees/prospective employees

"Great New Grad/Junior Developer Position"

Current Employee - Junior Software Developer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Junior Software Developer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Shopify full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Salary
    -Benefits($5000/year Lifestyle fund, Health, Dental)
    -Free Breakfast/Lunch
    -Tons of Office Perks

Cons

There are none. I do what I love everyday.

3. "A Company Like No Other"

Former Employee - Squad Lead in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Squad Lead in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Shopify full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing culture, perks, benefits, flexibility, people

Cons

Young company, not all leads/managers know how to manage people.

Advice to Management

Work on formal training for all leads in order to balance management/leadership of people as well as the work.

4. "Great place to work where I've been challenged, supported and encouraged!"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Victoria, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Victoria, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Shopify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Throughout my time with Shopify so far, I've learned more than I thought I would, and developed professionally and personally more than any other job I've had. You get the opportunity to work with a diverse group of colleagues who all bring something to the table.

Additionally, the values and mission of the company are really easy to connect with. In a nutshell, we're lowering the barriers to entry of the ecommerce world, and helping our merchants succeed in their business goals. You're ultimately helping people live the lifestyle and the life they want to live by bringing something they're passionate about into the world.

Cons

You do need to put a lot of yourself out there at times, and while all the resources are there for you to succeed, you need to be proactive. Also the company has grown so significantly, it is taking on more of a corporate feel, but I think that's relatively normal as companies get bigger. They're ultimately still trying to keep the spark that they started with alive.

5. "Shopify is an incredible place to work - supportive, driven, rewarding & great work-life balance!"

Current Employee - Talent Growth
    Current Employee - Talent Growth

I have been working at Shopify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Shopify is a workplace that not only encourages, but enables, its employees to achieve incredible feats of success. I started working at Shopify as a Customer Success Guru, and while it was challenging, it was an incredible growth experience that helped me learn important job and life skills like resourcefulness, empathy, teamwork, leadership, meaningful communication and how to find value in not only the product, but in the relationship with our merchants, our teams, and our own network. Shopify helps its employees be their very best selves through mentorship, offsite IRL activities, endless professional development opportunities and an incredible benefits package that supports both physical and mental wellbeing.

In a new team, I find the pros to be very consistent. Shopify is a place that is growing and changing - sometimes at a very fast pace. This drive to stay current, relevant, and a leader is reflected in the culture. Shopify is a place that is never dull. There are countless opportunities for the driven to find their passion and pursue it with fervour. Shopify is diverse, open, and full of incredibly intelligent people who are impactful in their own ways.

Work-life balance is incredible. In both the Guru position as well as my current position, I’ve never felt such passion for my job while also being able to literally go dark on all work communications until start time the next shift.

Cons

As noted in the aforementioned pros, Shopify is a company that is growing and changing - sometime quite rapidly. Change doesn’t come without some challenges - whether that’s delving into a job function that might be a little outside of one’s comfort zone or hustling harder during the work day to meet team goals, work pace can sometimes become more demanding. While this isn’t a con necessarily, it can be challenging. That being said, at Shopify you can always expect to be rewarded. Hard work doesn’t go unappreciated.

Advice to Management

None that I wouldn’t feel completely comfortable raising directly with management should the need arise.

"Sales position in transparent disguise"

Former Employee - Remote Guru in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Remote Guru in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Shopify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are great
    Co-workers
    Extraneous Slack channels
    Real family feel to your squad

Cons

It's sales, pure and simple. They'll tell you it isn't, but you're "scored" on how much you get in ASK (higher plans, longer plan contracts, etc...) and reprimanded if you didn't do enough to bring in approx $4k a month.
    Next to impossible to get promoted within the company - the bottlenecks at every position are astounding (there are 500 gurus who were all taught in training that it's a stepping stone position applying to every job).
    Gurus get half hour lunches, vs the rest of the company getting an hour.
    No incentives to doing a good job aside from not losing your job. No real raises (capped at 45k), no bonuses for good work, no accolades.
    Very large knowledge necessary - no specialized triage of incoming merchant calls/chats.
    Palpable disdain towards the guru role from the rest of the company - lots of attitude from people we ask for help in departments we aren't trained in.
    Nearly every person in escalated support talks about how glad they are to no longer be a guru (not very encouraging)
    "Breaking" is a standard word used for how gurus feel after a few months of working there - they have regular "breaking sessions," which function as moan sessions. It's nice that the company recognizes mental health, but they don't do anything to improve the position and reduce its mental harm.

Advice to Management

Be clear about your expectations from the get-go - it's sales. Tell us that when you hire us. Other companies can't get away with changing your job description on the fly, without consultation, this should be no different.
    Treat gurus the same as you do the rest of your employees - if the job is your largest amount of position, and the first contact merchants have with the company, make them happy to be there and stay there.
    Triage your merchant calls into specializations - every guru wants this, but management maintains they "like the generalized model." Easy to say from your throne, when you're not dealing with the front lines every day.

7. "There isn't a better company you could work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Shopify full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Autonomy, plenty of opportunities to grow, treated like adults, challenging, tons of people to learn from, tons of people who can learn from you, coaching and professional development. With the exception of the guru role (which has set hours) you pretty much decide on your own schedule as long as you're getting the right things done and communicating with your team.. There is a senior leadership team who genuinely care for their people, D&I, and are supportive of their teams. Shopify is lucky to be led by our founder CEO Tobi who is engaged and friggen (tried to use another stronger word but profanities are discouraged) smart. He's direct, pays attention, lifelong learner and just gets it. Not a ton of process (still kind of figuring out what process is great and what is not), solid benefits, inclusive perks, equity even for people not in R&D (which is very rare). Shopify's mission to make commerce better for everyone is 100X better than selling ads or accidentally messing with democracy. Supporting /enabling/empowering entrepreneurship and democratizing commerce globally to allow for economic autonomy for many who otherwise couldn't achieve it is actually something you can get behind, be proud of and work towards longterm. If you want to get better at your craft, be challenged, work hard, learn a ton, be treated like an adult, and probably get rich, you should work here.

Cons

Leadership team is still developing leadership skills which can be frustrating at times, it's a fast paced high growth company so if you like a check list of things to do in a day you should be prepared to write that check list yourself. It's chaotic (con for some) and you have to be really good at knowing how to check out because the work is interesting and it's intense. Creating your healthy work life balance is important.

Advice to Management

Invest in your own leadership team more, let go of more mediocre people who aren't doing much, and continue to building out meaningful D&I programs.

"One of the best jobs I have had"

Current Employee - Plus Specialist in Galway (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Plus Specialist in Galway (Ireland)

I have been working at Shopify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everything about this job is a 'Pro'. From the people, the culture, the focus on well being to the pay and benefits. They really believe and respect you as a worker and you truly feel valued from day one. For many jobs in Ireland this work lifestyle is very hard to come by. Great hours, never forced overtime, flexibility (with notice), great communication and great room to grow and better yourself as a worker and as a person

Cons

Very little - Not all positions you might want are readily available that you can progress to and rarely communication can take sometime as you are dealing with people in different countries but these are minute in comparison to all the 'Pros' of the job.

"Customer Success Guru"

I have been working at Shopify full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Work from home
    - Benefits kick in immediately
    - Everyone has been welcoming and kind
    - 3 weeks Vacation
    - Encourages growth and development
    - Room to move into other positions if you make it as a Guru

Cons

- Encourage you to work OT
    - Expect you to be able to manage 3 chats at the same time. This is very hard when merchants are asking complicated questions! It's incredibly stressful, even for guru's who have been doing this for over six months. I don't think we're providing the best possible customer service when doing this.
    - Wasn't told sales would be a big part of the role until two weeks into training... quotas are pretty unrealistic, and I find being constantly monitored exhausting as well.
    - Work/home life balance has been very tough. The allotted time for catching up on follow-up emails etc is not enough, so we end up working OT most days.

Advice to Management

Please reconsider your expectation of maintaining three chats at once :) The "Valley of Despair" and mental health/anxiety support groups would likely not exist if you lightened up on a few of these expectations. 1-2 chats = better customer service = happier merchants = happier gurus! :D

"Low level Management"

Former Employee - Guru
    Former Employee - Guru

I worked at Shopify full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, love that it is considered one team , crusher of corporate egos. Rapid Growth, great group of like minded, fun people. Great benefits & perks.

Cons

Training was a little off as they did a huge hire, things were talked about before the courses were taken, mentors straight out of Guru land that had no idea what mentoring is. Mid management very green, seemed forced to push us to 3 chats which in this case is a end result of Merchants given the wrong advice as the time is not there to properly research the situations for inexperienced Guru’s. Just think over 100 new hires doing this. Short breaks only one 30 min break for a 8 hour shift for a company that considers itself a life balance kinda compan. Gurus need proper breaks at least 45 min to regroup & clear their heads as this is not an easy job. Very “merchant obsessed “ to the point where gurus have to put up with abusive merchants. I don’t think the Gurus get paid enough to put up with that.

Advice to Management

Consider proper training for your mentors, squad leads in a management position. At least a 45 min lunch break the extra 15 min will go a long way. Carry the culture through to your staff ,stand up for your staff treat them good & they in turn treat your company good. A lot of hype in training which is good but carry it through... you are growing fast but these people are cool people your front line be good to them. DO NOT DO 3 chats.