SurpriseHR Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 27 Mar 2020

4.2
SurpriseHR CEO Albert Eloyan
Albert Eloyan

"A job that will actually challenge you to grow"

Current Employee - SDR in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at SurpriseHR full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Management invests time into your skills -You are set up well to succeed if you put in the work -They are hands-on without making you feel micromanaged -Set your schedule as long as you get your work done -Room for growth

Cons

None personally, but: -Must want to invest in yourself, be proactive in feedback if you're not used to that -A lot going on, so it can be a lot to take in and pick up all at once -Smaller teams, which means weight can lie on one person. I like that, but some might not. -Must pay for parking some of the time

SurpriseHR2020-03-05
  2. "Do not work here"

Former Employee - Assistant in Raleigh, NC

I worked at SurpriseHR full-time for less than a year

Pros

Although this was a very challenging and toxic environment, it challenged me to reassess my personal values and my self-worth. I learned how to recognize red-flags, and I know what questions to ask of any future employer.

Cons

Terrible benefits. Health care is simply an unaffordable plan unless you are making an executive's salary. PTO is very strict (and simply does not apply to executives). The few times I took a day off I was asked to work (often disrupting plans). No work-life balance. Expect to work 12 hour days as an assistant here and to be on-call all hours of the day/night. Absolutely no respect for their employees. The executive team is all male and the majority of them are incredibly sexist. I was asked to do so much more than my job-description and I was not ever compensated for the extra work and time. This job was soul crushing and pushed me in to the most terrible anxiety and depression I have ever experienced. I was isolated from my family and friends. It was like being in an abusive relationship, I was consistently verbally and emotionally abused. There is a reason this company has a terrible reputation in the Raleigh, NC area. If you have children/a family to support please please please do not work here. If you are young, and want to take the risk– give it a shot. But if people rely on you for income and benefits I can not tell you how urgently you must not associate yourself with this company. They will make you lovely promises and never see them through.

SurpriseHR2020-03-27

"The best personal growth opportunity in the Triangle"

Current Employee - Operations in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at SurpriseHR full-time for less than a year

Pros

Mission driven company that's out to improve the workplace for everyone An incredible team to learn from Great opportunity to make an impact You'll never learn more, faster than you will at Surprise. Our goals are ambitious and the stakes are high, which makes every day's work rewarding.

Cons

Don't apply if you're looking to be told what to do or want a ton of existing process and procedures.

SurpriseHR2020-01-14

"Decent company"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Richland, SC
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at SurpriseHR full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good base salary and good commissions paid.

Cons

Poor Training/Coaching. Disingenuous sales techniques required Startup mentality - don't have all the kinks worked out

SurpriseHR2019-12-02

"So glad I joined!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at SurpriseHR full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people are so smart, driven to build a great product and super engaged.

Cons

We are in growth mode, so it is very busy, but the culture of the company is fun, so it's not as stressful as other start-ups I've been with

SurpriseHR2019-09-21

"Great place if you want more responsibility"

Current Employee - Operations in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at SurpriseHR full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people who work here are amazing -super smart, hardworking, and will go out of their way to help others around them become better. The culture is very welcoming of new ideas and encourages everyone to challenge the status quo. You are always pushed to take initiative and take on more ownership- you will get out whatever you put into this company. Also, knowing that the product we work on makes so many people smile, makes it very meaningful and feels great.

Cons

Since expectation are so high, the workload can get pretty intense. So if you're not a natural overachiever, it takes time to get used to that sort of environment. Management does want people on site whenever possible and due to the "rise and grind" mentality of many people, being absent feels like being left behind. So if you prefer to work from a home office, look elsewhere or be sure to communicate whatever WFH needs you have before joining.

SurpriseHR2019-06-29

"An almost extraordinary opportunity"

Former Employee - Concierge in Raleigh, NC
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at SurpriseHR full-time for more than a year

Pros

• There will be a plethora of adverse times of which will allow you to grow if you’re tenacious enough. • The company presents great opportunities for people fresh out of college whom do not have any other roles to compare the work environment to. • The people you’re surrounded by will be great (if you’re on their good side). • You will learn a lot in terms of general life lessons. • If you’re lacking in terms of professionalism or any certain skills, management will sometimes help you improve. • Upward mobility does exist.

Cons

• If you’re working in DTR, you are responsible for finding and paying for parking. • Sugar coating. As a startup, the phrase “we’re a startup” is often a crutch that will be used to excuse unprofessional/lacking behavior. • Employees are not held to any kind of standards in terms of respecting each other. Speaking poorly of colleagues is common in person and amongst Slack. This, amongst other things, promotes a toxic work environment. • The sales team has no understanding of the actual execution of the product they are selling. • Insurance is the bare minimum, you’d be better off with your own. • You’ll often hear that the company is searching for “star” candidates with qualifications that exceed the work environment and compensation they are willing to provide. • No form of HR exists within the company.

SurpriseHR2019-06-21

"Fast Pace, Growth, Learning!"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at SurpriseHR full-time for less than a year

Pros

Diving head first into challenges enables you to learn and grow quickly! A lot of independence. You know that everyone around you is working just as hard and that there are no slackers. Opportunity for growth in the company in various areas! Self reflection is encouraged. Open policy of bringing ideas to the table. Always being open and honest to obtain goals faster.

Cons

Because we are a start up, the hours aren't your typical "9-5". While it doesn't bother me, I know a slightly longer workday isn't for everyone.

SurpriseHR2019-05-31

"Junior Concierge"

Current Employee - Junior Concierge in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at SurpriseHR full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have worked for Surprise HR for almost a year and it is hard to put into words how lucky I am to be a part of this company. This is my first job out of college and I was so nervous about transitioning from the hospitality industry to the corporate world. Luckily, my supervisor and my teammates were eager and willing to help with my transition. One of the best things about working here is that there is no such thing as “I” because we are all about teamwork; we work hard as a team and we succeed as a team. Your strengths are put to good use while you receive help with improving on your weaknesses. The open door policy that we have here reinstates the fact that you and your opinion matters. There is no such thing as seniority here because only hard work is rewarded and the opportunities you have at this company are endless as we are still growing! I personally have watched my team grow from only 3 people to almost 15 and I can’t wait to watch us continue to grow and tackle new challenges.

Cons

The only con I can think of is that you are responsible for paying for parking downtown and all the parking garages are on a 6-month wait list.

SurpriseHR2019-04-03

"The Job I Didn't Realize I Needed"

Current Employee - Concierge in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at SurpriseHR full-time for less than a year

Pros

This is a great job for people who are looking to transition into a day job or are fresh out of college and looking to build up a marketable skill set. Being fresh out of college and having only done coffee shop jobs, Surprise HR has helped me develop a wide skill set including working independently or with a team, communication skills, and leadership. From day one, I was told that I would work harder here than any other job I've had and I'd say that still holds true. I am certain that I whenever I choose to leave Surprise HR that I will be in a much better position from all that I've learned here.

Cons

Work days are sometimes longer than 9AM to 6PM. Occasionally you will be required to work weekends as well.

SurpriseHR2019-04-16