Tesco Bank Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.3
Tesco Bank CEO Gerry Mallon
Gerry Mallon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good work culture, good work-life balance" (in 16 reviews)

• "Great people and interesting opportunities" (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "Can't get holidays approved ,poor pay , poor work life balance" (in 6 reviews)

• "The senior management staff are a bit up them self" (in 8 reviews)

1. "Great employer"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I worked at Tesco Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really helpful and chances or progression

Cons

The senior management staff are a bit up them self.

Advice to Management

My to Lynda was a lovely person.

2. "Customer service Representative"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Longbenton, England
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Longbenton, England

I have been working at Tesco Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Rewarding to staff for their support and success

Cons

Never enough staff
    Management skills aren’t always the best

3. "Good place to work, lots of opportunities."

Current Employee - Commercial Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - Commercial Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Tesco Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good opportunities to advance career, relaxed atmosphere, good work/life balance.

Cons

Company lacks direction and leadership, business decisions often directly contradict objectives.

Advice to Management

Decide which direction you want to take the business in and do something about it. You can't make progress without making decisions.

4. "Good Employer"

I have been working at Tesco Bank part-time

Pros

Annual bonus based on company performance. Opportunities for progression.

Cons

Depending on the role, the work can be monotonous.

5. "Good company"

Former Employee - Collections Representative in Glasgow, Scotland
    Former Employee - Collections Representative in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at Tesco Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Secure job, good culture, not too target focussed

Cons

Constant change, no consistence in operation

Advice to Management

Agree a vision and stick to it

6. "Ok, not bad, not great - pay is good"

I have been working at Tesco Bank full-time

Pros

Lots of potential to expand and change role. Good small company to get started in banking. AWS shop so experience in AWS.

Cons

Old school management mean it's hard to implement proper practices and get really into DevOps

Advice to Management

Be serious about transformation - don't just say you're doing it and complain when things don't get better. Implement process transformation to support how you want to operate, and if you don't know what that is then get experts to help.

7. "Salary"

I have been working at Tesco Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly environment, benefits are good

Cons

Trainings poor, systems arnt great

8. "It's a constant"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Glasgow, Scotland
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at Tesco Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good to work for, good pay and team atmosphere

Cons

0 chance of being promoted unless you're a perfect god on the phones, no colleague loyalty.

Advice to Management

Invest in people that aren't the best at everything from time to time, and they'll shine for you.

9. "Job satisfaction"

I have been working at Tesco Bank full-time

Pros

Work life balance, salary, management

Cons

Cant think of any cons for now

Advice to Management

None

10. "Zero Compassion To Personal Circumstances"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Tesco Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My manager was fantastic and really made me feel welcome. My trainers were also very supportive during and after training. My colleagues were all very nice and when I needed help they were always there for me.

Cons

I was told not to return to Tesco Bank after an old employer was found on a bank statement that I had unintentionally not declared due to ongoing health issues that have been ongoing for most of this year which has largely affected my memory. I suffer from multiple mental health disorders and only worked for this previous employer for a few days before going off on long term sick. I made an attempt on my own life at this time and after this have tried attempting suicide again. I have been on an assortment of different medications, been to many appointments and overall my memory of a lot of this year is completely blurred. I unintentionally left the employer out due to not remembering it as at the time all I can remember is being sectioned and dealing with trying to get through a very suicidal and depressive state of mind. For my time period of being off sick Tesco Bank asked for bank statements to prove I was able to financially provide for myself and the employer came up once they had the statement. Upon being probed about it I was completely honest about working for this employer and despite explaining my circumstances which for me is very hard to speak about, the bank did not take this into consideration. Under the Equality Act an employer is meant to make reasonable adjustments and no consideration was given to the situation and the reasons behind it. To be told at this time of year not to return to your work and then given no chance to explain yourself or meet with somebody to discuss this is absolutely repulsive. Also, the day after being told not to return to work I received a very aggressively tone phone call from a worker within the agency I got the job through being accused of turning up to work when I shouldn't have. I did not even go near the site and this was very triggering for me. As someone with mental health issues, firstly losing your job is horrible. Then to have someone calling the next day stating someone within the bank has accused me of turning up to the building and requesting me to be removed from the building is just so unprofessional. I was already very distressed from being turned away and felt the miscommunication and the phone call about me turning up to the bank again when I didn't was something that could have been prevented entirely. I also found it extremely unfair that I was allowed to work within the company for 6 weeks and then only given a days notice. A decision which was made off of 3 days which I did not declare due to mental health reasons. A decision made by someone higher up who did not know me, had not spoken to my manager or knew about my performance. A decision which did not take into account the immense amount of suffering I went through during this time period and this was why I made one simple mistake. I'm very, very disappointed in how Tesco Bank has handled the entire situation and the emotional upset I was put through and how mentally triggering it has been for me. If you want to work for a company that takes care of employees with mental health disorders, do not go to Tesco Bank. That is all I can say about them.

Advice to Management

Communicate with staff better and if your security checks apparently mean so much to you, do not let individuals start within the business without getting full references and checks completed first of all. You completely contradicted yourself with your reasoning as to why you let me go when you let me start training and handle calls with the general public for 6 weeks.