Thomas Cook Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.3
Thomas Cook CEO Peter Fankhauser
Peter Fankhauser

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • New working environment, the open plan layout includes senior management so they are not tucked away in closed offices (in 18 reviews)

• people, culture, buzz and ability to manage your work life balance (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Can be long hours especially if there are issues at the airport with delays etc and wearing a full formal uniform in very hot countries (in 17 reviews)

• blich; es kommen permanent weitere Aufgaben dazu, ohne Entlastung, work-life-balance eher schlecht (in 8 reviews)

1. "Sales Consultant"

Pros

An amazing travel company to work for, training very good

Cons

Interview stage very hard, low career progression.

2. "Great Company to work for"

Former Employee - Manager in Chester, England
    Former Employee - Manager in Chester, England

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great communication from management teams passed through the ranks
    Good Training programme

Cons

Low staff numbers
    Favouritism to larger stores

Advice to Management

Get rid of dead weight staff who are not willing to accept change in the industry and move with the times

"Great Job, Great Place, Poor Management structure"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peterborough, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peterborough, England

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work and some wonderful people to work with.

Cons

The management structure is beyond a joke and the constant performance reviews are pointless.

Advice to Management

There are too many managers who only want to build their own little domain and love to ring fence them selves off .
    And all these constant performace reviews are totaly pointless. They are there just so that HR can say they have a chart or a spreadsheet to say how well the company is progressing and that everyone is happy. They have no idea how many people just put down a lod of jibberish to bulk out the performance reviews and say they they are happy when they are not.

5. "Travel"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Gateshead, England
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Gateshead, England

I worked at Thomas Cook (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good team mates uniform and breaks

Cons

Unrealistic targets rubbish pay and benefits

"Overseas Administrator"

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time

Pros

Nice free accommodation and great team. It's fun liaising with guests and ensuring that all customers have the best holiday experience.

Cons

People are 'cherry picked' to gain promotion based on if their face fits! It's not an unbiased, fair system. Not enough work - days were boring and dull in the office.

Advice to Management

Provide a better system to ensure that all staff are utilising their skills and experience for the company's benefit.

7. "Solution Designer"

Current Employee - Solution Designer in Peterborough, England
    Current Employee - Solution Designer in Peterborough, England

I have been working at Thomas Cook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people; a lot of my colleagues have been with Thomas Cook for a very long time - that's a good indication (personally) of whether a company is worth sticking with.

Our products and what they mean - everyone likes a holiday.

Ideas are encouraged at all levels, and there are numerous ways to participate in activities beyond the scope of your role, such as fire marshalling, first aid, apprenticeship mentoring, employee engagement, and the Special Assistance Team.

Pay and benefits are great, and it is good to know that Thomas Cook is leading the fight against fraudulent illness claims.

Cons

Thomas Cook is a large organisation spread across the world and it's important to remember that the scope of your role extends beyond the UK & Ireland, which can create silos of knowledge and expertise, but this is being addressed.

Another immaterial 'con' is having to remind your friends that Thomas Cook and Thomson (now TUI) are different companies.

Advice to Management

Keep the enthusiasm alive; we know there's a long way to go and a lot of work to do.

8. "Fast-Paced, Great People and Interesting Product"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peterborough, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peterborough, England

I have been working at Thomas Cook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been with Thomas Cook for almost two months now and I've had a great experience so far.
    There is a great Learning and Development team, they have a really good induction course called "Check In" which is classroom based, but there is also a huge amount of online content on the TC Academy, some of which you can access even before you join so you can start e-learning at your own pace. They offer a wide range of courses for employee development.
    I'm based at Head Office and the office itself is open plan, modern, meeting rooms are holiday themed and each based on a different destination. There are always events going on, such as a USA Buzz day where employees could learn more about our US destinations and charity raffles for the Thomas Cook Children's Charity.
    The people are all extremely friendly - I had lots of people coming to say hello in my first few weeks either in neighbouring teams or just generally. Lots of people have worked at Thomas Cook for a long time which is really impressive to see and they have a lot of knowledge to share on the company and it's history.

Cons

Thomas Cook is a very large global organisation with lots of different departments within the wider Group so it can take a while to understand those different areas and brands and how they fit together, but there is a good amount of support to help new joiners to do this and have a good understanding of the wider organisation.

Advice to Management

Thomas Cook prides itself on being "Customer at the Heart" and this has really been reflected in my experience so far - maintaining a positive culture in a large organisation is not easy to do, but I definitely have experienced a very open and friendly culture and have had a great experience so far.

"The definition of a Curate’s Egg"

Former Employee - IT Analyst in Peterborough, England
    Former Employee - IT Analyst in Peterborough, England

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

New Peterborough HQ is a pleasant work environment with some well thought out features (social areas away from main work areas, jump-in meeting rooms etc). A very good restaurant with a wide selection of snacks and meals at reasonable prices. Superb care of the building by maintenance staff - hugely appreciated by everyone who works there.

Some truly exceptional and talented people who want to actually do things.

Great to see an apprentice program in place - big thumbs up for this.

Real and significant evidence that Thomas Cook do place a high value on customer care and satisfaction - the Crisis Response Team program is impressive.

Cons

Open plan nature of office means you are dependent on the consideration of others to maintain a professional working environment. Sadly not always the case.

Meeting Hell. I’ve never worked anywhere that wasted so much time on non-productive meetings. Pointless one-to-one meetings set to fill out the calendar of under employed line managers and seemingly endless and witless “all hands” meetings. If I’d just sat and read a book at my desk for those hours I imagine this would have been frowned on.

IT is hampered by a combination of historical complexity, neglect, and current poor to none existant management. At first I was surprised and confused and then later disillusioned by the endless and generally pointless re-organisations and plans and schemes which came to nothing. I appreciate IT on this scale is difficult to manage and plan but you will do neither without bringing on board senior IT leaders with the vision, skills, and courage to make the required changes. This is manifestly not the case.

Poor mid-level/line management. Many of these posts are non-jobs effectively, just doing HR style work (wasting time with the always pointless end of year review process) and other meaningless tasks. In some cases this leads the manager to over manage and in some cases aggressively micro-manage their teams in order to demonstrate they are “doing something”. In a number of cases I’ve been witness to this has descended into bullying - this is simply unacceptable in the work place and I’d be ashamed if it was happening on my watch.

Advice to Management

You are doing somethings very well and considering the financial position of the company, its many antiquated processes, systems (and, in some cases, people) you are almost achieving the impossible.

You are let down by your IT leadership: a lack of vision, a lack of planning, a lack of communication. These things are often talked about on the shop floor - get some one to step off the cloud and commit to solving the real problems. Plenty of people are available to set you straight on what they are.

Clear out some of the non-productive dreck who add nothing to the mission. Why are you paying people to hold back progress, why are you wasting so many people’s time with unproductive non-work? Be proactive in weeding out the bullies.

Grown-ups don’t need managing at work. They need clearly defined goals, a well articulated strategy, the right tools, and colleagues who are enablers not blockers.

Thomas Cook is a fine company but you need to drag it out of the Stone Age. A difficult job I agree but the alternative is a sad slide into irrelevance and being part of history rather than the future.

"Amazing"

Pros

Great place to work, team are amazing. Perks & benefits are fab too

Cons

Salary is quite low and bonuses aren’t consistent

Advice to Management

Keep up great work but listen to your staff

11. "Good pple to work with"

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time

Pros

interesting, visit plenty of places and sites.

Cons

stressful, tiring, time consuming job.