Thomas Cook Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.4
Thomas Cook CEO Peter Fankhauser
Peter Fankhauser

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Working Environment - I really appreciate the culture at Thomas Cook" (in 25 reviews)

• "people, culture, buzz and ability to manage your work life balance" (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Busy days and long hours sometimes" (in 21 reviews)

• "blich; es kommen permanent weitere Aufgaben dazu, ohne Entlastung, work-life-balance eher schlecht" (in 8 reviews)

1. "Great company"

I have been working at Thomas Cook full-time

Pros

Looks after the endividual daily

Cons

Easy to get carried away

2. "A journey of continuous transformation"

Current Employee - Assessor/Trainer in Peterborough, England
    Current Employee - Assessor/Trainer in Peterborough, England

I have been working at Thomas Cook full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Customer focused, Passionate people, Progression and development opportunities. Great holiday benefits.

Cons

Legacy technology, change takes a while

3. "Extremely political environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Thomas Cook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some good, talented people within the business

Cons

Lack of communication departmentally and top down. Lack of management support. Unethical behavior. Slow decision-making

Advice to Management

Senior Management should get on the office floor of the business and not just pay lip service to openness and communication

4. "Great opportunities for growth"

I have been working at Thomas Cook full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A great team, travel benefits, some flexible working opportunities, career prospects.

Cons

Ever changing organisation so can be some uncertainty at times.

5. "Fuel Efficency Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Luton, South West England, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Luton, South West England, England

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good job and a good company spirit

Cons

Big organisation so a lot inefficiencies

6. "Expect you to work a lot of overtime!"

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time

Pros

OK for progression and good training

Cons

In retail, they expect you to work overtime most days, hard work for minimum wage

7. "Sales consultant"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant

I have been working at Thomas Cook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working for Thomas Cook can be rewarding at times however it does have a lot of downfalls. It is one of the best feelings knowing you have found someone the perfect holiday. The staff can either make the job or break it as there can be an element of clique behaviour within some branches, but most of the staff are nice.

Cons

Customers can be tough, they expect 5* quality for 2* prices, you are measured a lot on customer service questionnaires that people fill out for you after a transaction however people are tough and they are measured very unfairly and this is something the company is strict on. Incentives are not as good as they once were. New starts are often flung in at the deep end with no support. And sometimes you can be sent out to cover other stores (you often have no say) Also the Tavel industry is a dying trade so it is tough.

"Great company culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peterborough, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peterborough, England

I have been working at Thomas Cook full-time

Pros

I've been with Thomas Cook for two months now and I've found it to be a very rewarding place to work. They provide many options for training and advancement with a flexible work structure and opportunities for career advancement.

Cons

The only issue I've found is that things move quite slowly. Getting anything installed on your machine can take weeks. IT issues, months...

9. "Resort Rep overseas"

Former Employee - Resort Representative
    Former Employee - Resort Representative

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

learn a lot on the job, meet different people, able to work and live abroad

Cons

unless you're good in sales it can be difficult to earn a good wage

Advice to Management

Management was good at their job and supported me well

"ITSCUK - a poorly managed expensive joke"

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Peterborough, England
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Peterborough, England

I have been working at Thomas Cook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have nothing good to say.

Cons

The company decided to bring their IT in house and offered pretty good salaries to get the right folk. The problem is they hired useless dinosaurs from within the company as managers. Career failures who know nothing about IT or anything bar the many years of failings. The result is a pointless department that does nothing.

Seriously management go to great lengths to hinder things. Everything is pushed back or deflected that the department does nothing. All those with professional pride left long ago leaving overpaid workers happy to draw a huge wage for no effort.

It’s the colleagues I feel sorry for. They are using legacy and failing infrastructure mostly unsupported. If they have a problem then they will have to make at least five calls before anything is logged and wait several days for a non English speaking tech in India (it’s all logged and flogged offshore to Wipro) to call back and close it due to language barriers or being out of scope...yes they deflect too!

The funny thing is management encourage this. They know nothing is being fixed but they only care about stats showing it all works and is great. I was given a written warning for being too helpful and fixing an issue! The attitude was...someone else was getting paid to do it so who cares if it takes months to sort out a quick fix.

The worse thing about the place is the petty management. Speak up (like they say they encourage) and you will be targeted. You will be in every bank holiday and weekend whilst the usual suspects are never staffed in. You will also get all your annual leave blocked in case someone else wants to take those days. Daily activities are apparently earned but it’s always the same select few that get that regardless of how hopeless they are. Likewise training and town halls are also only given to the same folk...and then others savagely marked down in reviews for not attending! Also job opportunities are a joke with management blocking placements for those they don’t like or deciding who gets placement regardless of experience, knowledge or qualifications. They say they promote progression but only for their little buddies. If you’re not in that group expect to be told you will be blocked with prejudice regardless of what you apply for. Report to hr? They are toothless and agree with this.

Bullying is rife and turnover is high. The same folk get the training, the pay rises, the promotions and long bank holidays. The rest are easily replaced as leaver emails will testify.

Unless you are a yes man who agrees with everything, enjoys 30 smoking breaks a day and a Friday afternoon skive down the pub instead of helping customers, it’s not really a place you would enjoy working. I can’t respect management that are two faced and cowards.

Advice to Management

You hired them so you’re problem! I would outsource to someone like cdw and make the whole lot redundant. With profit earnings before brexit, I don’t think it will matter much anyway as it’s all going south whether you cancel the Xmas party or not really!

Thomas Cook Response

14 Nov 2018 – Senior Resourcing Manager

Thank you for your feedback on the Thomas Cook IT Service Centre - we really value our Employees’ opinions and would welcome working with you to identify any changes we can make. We would like to... More