Tripadvisor Reviews

Updated 2 Jul 2020

3.5
Tripadvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer
Stephen Kaufer
Pros
  • "Free Lunch, Nice Campus, Good Compensation(in 104 reviews)

• "Great benefits, free lunch and the people(in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management is a disaster and has been for years(in 25 reviews)

• "During the last large cutting of staff Senior Management said everyone would take a 20% pay cut to help balance the books(in 22 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"They live up to the values"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

People here have a real passion for the growth and success of the company. A fun, friendly start up atmosphere. Lots of perks. A company that really care about the values they stand for.

Cons

Sometimes a little process driven and US centric but understandably so.

November 18, 2019Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for your positive remarks. We’re constantly striving to maintain a transparent, collaborative environment, so we’re glad that you found that to be the case.

2. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Overlord

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Simply a fantastic company to work for

Cons

Frankly, it's difficult to find negative points to raise here

3. "One of my best professional experiences"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent working conditions, clear targets and good level of trust with direct managers. I enjoyed the weekly catch-up with my boss to review progress and set objectives. No micro-management and lots of empowerment.

Cons

Highly difficult to move horizontally within the company. Possible for a few but not globally organised so that after a while (been there 7 years) it is difficult to remain as engaged and motivated.

4. COVID-19

"Company values have changed"

2.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Tripadvisor used to be a big family of skilled, respected and respectful people. It was a friendly and enjoyable environment with some great benefits. Then, things have changed.

Cons

In 2019, new top-level leaders arrived in the US who soon started restructuring globally some teams without having a clear understanding of how the business worked. Additionally, they brought their own people and some of their own values. These top leaders lack empathy and they have an arrogant and self-righteous approach which is cleverly hidden by their good verbal communication skill. They caused a lot of frustration as they implemented several changes which made processes slower and less effective. They definitely built many walls and not enough bridges by creating a toxic environment. They lack experience and, over the months, to hide their own mistakes, they tried to reverse the bad strategy by changing the processes again. Micromanagement is their rule. They filled teams with several unnecessary positions while others were overloaded. Nepotism is widespread and it is not difficult to understand the logic behind some career advancements. They say they believe in transparency but better not to share your opinion if you don't want to be in trouble. And they also used Covid-19 as an excuse to 'clear' the teams they previously created by removing some of the most experienced and highly paid staff. I will always have fond memories of what Tripadvisor used to be, and it is deeply sad to watch how the company has changed. I have always believed Steve Kaufer to be a great CEO and I simply do not understand why he is letting all this to happen.

5. COVID-19

"Lovey people and values but has suffered by bad decision making"

Former Employee - Product Manager

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work life balance Team ethic The brand Amazing engineering team

Cons

No long term strategy Knee jerk reactions Old tech stack Old analytics No analytical tools Constant re orgs Constant worrying about your job

Continue reading

"One big strict family , With Momma Bear J P-P Ruling the roost"

1.0
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Oxford, England

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros

They butter you up with loads of freebie refreshments! Just as your mum would give you sweets to shut you up. Christmas parties were fantastic, lucky i left before the put a stop to them! Sorry i cant think of many more pros, the place is a car crash . ship the company from oxford to dublin and be done with it , you'll benefit loads

Cons

They start a project, that project THE MOST IMPORTANT THING EVER and then its dropped without trying to make it work properly. YOUR IDEAS ARE NOT TAKEN INTO CONSIDERATION!!.. Its a hostile environment in customer service, Very strict with calls, GOD FORBID you need the toilet or your team leader will be taking you into a room to discuss why you went for a wee and was 2 minutes !! If someone in management doesn't like you , they will do everything possible to get rid of you . Basically , for a multi million dollar company , possibly more. They are using their resources . You have your trip advisor value's that you cant even stick to your self. " be transparent" Give me a break .....

July 1, 2020

Thank you for your feedback. As our company continues to grow, we appreciate employee comments that highlight our strengths as well as areas we can improve upon. However it is unfortunate that you felt displeased with our Customer Service team and your ideas were not heard. The company holds itself to a high standard in regards to ethics and work practices, and we are very open to the ideas and improvements suggestions of all our employees. Any concerns that are flagged to management and/or HR are looked into thoroughly, as fairness and transparency are very important to all of us. All of our leaders, including Steve, are doing their best to remain as transparent as possible as this remains one of our core values.

7. "Excellent atmosphere"

Current Employee - Sales Executive

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time

Pros

Very good perks, flexibility, can work in independently, excellent compensation, benefits

Cons

the management could be improved as the communication

April 7, 2020Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We’re glad that you enjoy being a part of the Tripadvisor team. As our company continues to grow, we are appreciative of employee comments that highlight our strengths as well as areas we can improve upon.

"Used to be a good company to work for"

2.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice office in central location , good benefits, great colleagues of different nationalities.

Cons

London has had really bad management for a few years now. Managers do not get appointed based on merit, but simply based on how long they have been in the company or who they are friends with. Really bad decisions from the executive team which resulted in revenue losses and ultimately in huge cuts and job losses. The job itself progressively got worse as well, and what was once an exciting brand to work for, it has turned into a boring, repetitive series of tasks which are imposed from management, where everything you do is tracked in the system and leaves you with almost no room for doing anything outside of what is imposed(which is also a huge waste of time for the team, as it is a tedious admin work of reporting everything into the system)

April 8, 2020Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your experience of working at Tripadvisor in London. As our company continues to evolve, we appreciative employees sharing feedback that highlights our strengths as well as areas upon which we can improve. Thank you for acknowledging that we provide a positive, diverse and inclusive work environment. We are also pleased to hear that you appreciate and enjoy our extensive benefits. However, we are sorry to hear that you no longer feel that your work is engaging and challenging. As our business adapts to face the unprecedented challenges ahead our business goals and objectives will rapidly change and adapt to meet the evolving and dynamic external environment. To be successful we believe that colleagues need to align and be flexible in their approach to their work so as to maximize their contribution and focus on business priorities. This may mean more process rigour and metrics so we can measure effectively our progress towards our goals. As Never Stop Learning is one of our core values, we support individual development and offer an extensive training curriculum highlighting opportunities to learn new skills and develop your career at Tripadvisor. We continue to be thoughtful, consistent and fair in our approach to all promotion decisions. Again thank you for your feedback

9. "Great company"

Current Employee - Workforce Planning Lead

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time for less than a year

Pros

Really great company to work for, unusual set up for a contact centre but the company really looks after you

Cons

Complex and different to anywhere I've worked before

December 11, 2019Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are appreciative of employees who highlight our strengths as well as areas we can improve upon.

10. "Internship"

Former Employee - Intern in London, England

I worked at Tripadvisor part-time for less than a year

Pros

-flexible -lot of learning opportunities - convenient

Cons

-too much responsibilities added which was not specified on initial job description

December 11, 2019Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for providing your feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed your experience as part of the TripAdvisor Team.

Found 712 reviews