51% would recommend to a friend
(4051 total reviews)
Leslie C. Davis
53% approve of CEO
What people are saying about UPMC
Salaries in Healthcare
8 months ago
what is everyone's position? And, like how much are we all making? I'm curious to see if what we are getting paid, and if it's comparable to each other. I'll go first! I'm a manager of the operation for the administration team, making 62,350. Have an MHA degree and 4 years of experience. Also, have a bachelor's degree in biology. Started with UPMC last July after grad school.
Jobs in Tech
8 months ago
Community Guidance Ctr
Hi, about to a be CS grad (2nd relevant degree) with years of IT experience looking to enter the cybersecurity world, specifically in the Pittsburgh area. I've been looking at some larger companies for countless opportunities but almost no callbacks. Wondering if anyone at these companies can confirm the hesitant hiring/freezes, feeling pretty down about it. Thanks for your time. UPMC PNC The PNC Financial Services Wabtec Allegheny Health Network Highmark Health
Got a burning question about UPMC? Just ask!
On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with UPMC employees and get real answers from people on the inside.
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Good benefits are wonderful and cost little compared to other companies" (in 363 reviews)
- "Great people to work with and bonus pay" (in 159 reviews)
- "Great coworkers and experience doing different tasks within the department" (in 142 reviews)
- "Other staff is friendly and helpful" (in 71 reviews)
- "Flexible work from home meaningful work" (in 60 reviews)
- "Pay is low with only $1/hour differential for nights and $1/hour differential as charge." (in 351 reviews)
- "Poor management and constantly understaffed" (in 219 reviews)
- "Salary is low and not competitive to experience." (in 100 reviews)
- "Horrible management and upper management." (in 55 reviews)
- "I went through more reorgs and different managers than anyone could imagine and more failed projects." (in 45 reviews)
Found 4,051 of over 4K reviews
Updated 5 Dec 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- 2.026 Nov 2023Sterile Processing TechnicianCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearCumberland, MD
Great opportunity to enter the medical field. UPMC offers 6 months on job training for Sterile Processing techs. Once you have the required 400 hours in the various areas, you can apply for certification.
The starting pay in Cumberland is well below the national average for this industry. They do not give pay raises for becoming certified. Opportunities to branch off into Surgical tech aren’t often approved by management with this hospital and many leave to climb the career ladder. You’re required to work rotating shifts including weekends and overnights. This schedule doesn’t offer good life/work balance.
- 1.021 Nov 2023Registered Nurse, BSNCurrent Employee, more than 3 yearsPittsburgh, PA
job stability, variety of positions, benefits are adequate
I’ve worked at a few other health networks outside of the Pittsburgh area and UPMC is by far the worst I have encountered anywhere. Problems include, but are not limited to, poor pay, unsafe nurse-patient ratios, management does not care about staff or patients, hospital does not practice evidence based care to patients, does not support employees who are struggling, does not allow for any work-life balance, makes both patients and staff pay for parking, no weekend shift differential, constant gaslighting, and obvious greed. I have witnessed multiple scenarios where patients (including infants) have almost died due to UPMC policy and negligence.
- 4.04 Dec 2023Patient Care TechnicianFormer Employee, more than 1 yearPittsburgh, PA
There were lots of opportunity for growth and experience on other hospital floors
Understaffed and pulled to other floors often
- 3.01 Dec 2023Customer Service RepresentativeCurrent Employee, less than 1 yearPittsburgh, PA
Its an okay experience, good company, good benefits, friendly people
This specific job is hard because your strapped to a chair with a headset, not many breaks
- 3.015 Nov 2023RN PRNFormer Employee, more than 5 yearsMechanicsburg, PA
Continued education opportunities, autonomy, ability to transition into new roles easily, good for new grad nurse experience
Toxic work environments, high nurse to patient ratios, absent management, reported safety concerns don’t get taken seriously, bedside staff burnt out, & nurses have an incredible workload handed to them that is truly unrealistic
UPMC Reviews FAQs
UPMC has an overall rating of 3.3 out of 5, based on over 4,338 reviews left anonymously by employees. 51% of employees would recommend working at UPMC to a friend and 48% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.
51% of UPMC employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated UPMC 3.2 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.2 for culture and values and 3.5 for career opportunities.