Wayfair Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.3
Wayfair CEO Niraj Shah
Niraj Shah
1,165 Ratings
Pros
  • "They give a work life balance that no other company has been able to provide(in 163 reviews)

• "fringe benefits (including free snacks)(in 159 reviews)

Cons
  • "I think our salaries are slightly below average (the price to pay for the work life balance though)(in 62 reviews)

• "sometimes upper management is hard to communicate with(in 57 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Place to Grow"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a great place to learn, be challenged, and develop your career. There are endless opportunities to lead projects, learn from intelligent colleagues, and develop new skills, all in an exciting, very fast-paced environment. You feel supported by senior leadership who actually want to see you succeed and grow and will give you opportunities to lead and drive strategy for the business. Wayfair also has a fantastic... company culture with great work/life balance. We work hard, but we have a lot of fun as well!

Cons

Leveling/titling at Wayfair is a little interesting and doesn't always seem to match with years of experience. Most people seem to come in at the same level, regardless of the prior years of experience they have, and they tend to down-level people quite frequently from where they were at previous companies. That being said, you're given the support and tools to build your career and move up the ladder pretty... quickly.

Wayfair2019-03-12
  2. "Superb company"

Former Employee - Manager in Peterborough, England

I worked at Wayfair full-time

Pros

Great company to work for. They recognise you if you work hard and you're good

Cons

Long driving days very tiring

Wayfair2019-08-13

"Disjointed"

Former Employee - Merchandising Associate in London, England

I worked at Wayfair full-time for less than a year

Pros

Bonus scheme. Gym allowance. Friday beers. 'Party' culture. Health and dental insurance. Perks make job very attractive.

Cons

No clear UK-specific strategy communicated to teams by management as EVERYTHING is headed from the EU HQ in Berlin. Department directors either based in the US or Berlin, leading to disjointed approach and the UK left behind. No HR team based in London, closest you'll get to any support is a video call, entirely defeats the point of a face-to-face chat with a supportive figure. Cliquey culture amongst Category... Management (CM) and sales-based priorities creates fragmented culture for the rest.

Advice to Management

CM bring the sales but Wayfair would be nothing without the other teams. Respect everyone equally.

Wayfair2019-09-09

"Not a nice place to work"

Former Employee - Category Management in London, England

I worked at Wayfair full-time for less than a year

Pros

Have made solid progress over the last few years financially.

Cons

Unprofessional working environment. A lot of gossip. People don’t seem to stay for long . No sense of what’s next for employees/opportunities to grow.

Advice to Management

Less gossip. Continue to care about employees past the first few months. Big picture needs reiterating.

Wayfair2019-09-07

"Ruthless Employer"

Former Employee - Category Management in London, England

I worked at Wayfair full-time

Pros

- Opportunities to travel. - Work benefits include gym membership, company funded team outings and massages. - Office facilities.

Cons

- Six-month review process used as a means of pitting employees against each other and to scaremonger. Employees are actively encouraged to provide anonymous and often unconstructive peer feedback which lacks clear-cut examples and ultimately does not allow for positive outcome. Consequently, this results in a lack of cohesion amongst team members and leads to an anxious atmosphere within the office and a lack of... job security. - Targets are unrealistic, inconsistent, ambiguous and poorly communicated to employees. - The high turnover of staff is alarming (monthly dismissals/resignations are a common feature of the Wayfair experience). - Employees feel undervalued and face chastisement for failing to hit targets, irrespective of other positive contributions to the company. - As a result of individual pressure on management, new employee training/support is often overlooked and managers do not have sufficient time to reflect and improve themselves. - Certain members of the management team are widely unprofessional and directly contribute to office gossip. Don’t be fooled by the apparent friendly, relaxed and informal atmosphere… Wayfair is ruthless.

Advice to Management

Management, your employees care more about job security and feeling truly valued than a free team outing every month.

Wayfair2019-06-25

"It’s an okay place to work"

I have been working at Wayfair full-time

Pros

- good for recent graduates - ambitious work environment

Cons

- slow personal development/promotion - middle management seems to be only consisting of ex-consultants atm - hiring externally rather than promoting people internally

Wayfair2019-04-25

"Great place for a short time"

Current Employee - Product Specialist in London, England

I have been working at Wayfair full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture, young people and flexibility to try new methods

Cons

Lack of management and leadership, retention of talent and career growth

Wayfair2019-04-23

"Good Company culture"

Former Employee - Event Buyer in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Wayfair full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people and they constantly plan fun cultural activities.

Cons

I don't have any cons

Wayfair2019-03-27
  9. "Wayfair"

Current Employee - Warehouse Worker

I have been working at Wayfair full-time

Pros

I work now in uk and i like my work in this company

Cons

Nothing to say abot this

Advice to Management

Nothing to say

Wayfair2019-03-05

"Ok for a year or so but no long term career prospects"

Current Employee - Buyer in London, England

I have been working at Wayfair full-time

Pros

Good company benefits (healthcare, gym contributions, monthly team outings etc)

Cons

Not recognised for hard work and length of service which means the longer-serving employees are not motivated (management are aware of this and continue to do nothing about it). Goalposts move at every review to justify why no pay rises given. Pay structure is never transparent and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it (level 1s on similar salaries to level 2s etc). No real team structure or clarity in career... progression, no clear expectations laid out for this. Wayfair is a great place to work for a year or so when just starting out but there is no real career progression and they mess their staff around by introducing new measures and changing structure constantly. Reviews every 6 months creates an anxious culture of comparing yourself to everyone else (they use a calibration model so they actually do rank everyone against each other). Low motivation and morale seems to be a problem across all departments.

Advice to Management

Start caring about employee morale. Work on retaining the staff you have rather than employing new ones (high turnover seems to be their strategy).

Wayfair2019-03-08

Wayfair Response

March 21, 2019Senior Leadership

We appreciate your feedback and we're sorry to hear that you feel this way about your experience at Wayfair. We care about our employees and strive to maintain a positive work culture. Retaining and nurturing talent is always top of mind for us, which is why feedback like yours is so important to us. We encourage you to share this feedback with HR directly.

Found 1739 reviews