Western Power Distribution Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Western Power Distribution Reviews

Updated Sep 5, 2019

Found 49 reviews

2.9
Western Power Distribution CEO Robert A. Symons (no image)
Robert A. Symons
Pros
  • "Good pay, great annual pay increments, staff well looked after(in 8 reviews)

• "Good salary, some good people, secure work(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Shift workers are paid well but expected to put up with any mismanagement or poor treatment simply because WPD say they are paid well(in 4 reviews)

• "Again it's all back to the bullying culture so rife within the industry, and so often mentioned in the other reviews(in 4 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Planner G5

I have been working at Western Power Distribution full-time for less than a year

Pros

Empowerment Good pay Overtime is available

Cons

No company car unless your very senior

Western Power Distribution2019-09-05
  2. "Great people bad company"

Current Employee - Technician in Stoke-on-Trent, England

I have been working at Western Power Distribution full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Money is good enough Certain degree of freedom

Cons

No clear direction from management Overworked Mad panic to complete daft defect of the week Work not shared evenly Asked to do tasks not in job role ie design and finanace

Advice to Management

Sort out staffing levels

Western Power Distribution2019-08-30
  3. "Pays well so you can’t leave"

Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Western Power Distribution full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The salary is good but you feel tied to the company as similar roles outside the business pays less.

Cons

Everything else. No concern for mental health. No progression - it’s a “if your face fits” kind of place, toxic working environment

Western Power Distribution2019-08-12
  4. "Good for people who want stability"

Current Employee - Engineer
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Western Power Distribution full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Stability Good salary Not very stressful Working hours set

Cons

Not good for active people who want to develop. People get away with not doing anything, takes ages if you need information or something to be done.

Advice to Management

None

Western Power Distribution2019-04-30

"What a place to work!"

Current Employee - Dispatch Clerk in Derby, England

I have been working at Western Power Distribution full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good pay Flexible working hours Team members have each other’s back Career progression available Holiday allowance good Sick pay beneficial A grievance free working environment

Cons

Extra staff needed in department No free WiFi No luncheon vouchers Some employees iq is questionable

Advice to Management

Faster response to emails with feedback would be beneficial to the team. Apart from that great place to work

Western Power Distribution2019-04-13
  6. "Good job"

Current Employee - Fitter in Worcester, England

Pros

Good pay, pension and hours

Cons

Poor management, time scales and

Advice to Management

Retire

Western Power Distribution2019-04-09

"Unmotivated Staff"

Current Employee - Technician in Hinckley, England

I have been working at Western Power Distribution full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of overtime if you want it

Cons

Poor Management Style. Lots of 'if your face fits' type of career progression

Advice to Management

Need to stop talking about the good old days. Put a stop to staff dictating hoq much work they are going to do. Too many slackers allowed to get away with not working.

Western Power Distribution2019-04-03

"Moral of staff is at an extremely low point."

Current Employee - Planner in Leicester, England

Pros

Good pay Able to take ownership of projects Able to take on extra duties in order to increase knowledge for career progression

Cons

Changing of the goal posts for career progression regularly Able to progress into certain roles ‘when it suits’ Business set up it like it was 20 years ago, paper heavy company, pre historic computer systems, no internet on computers. Higher managers/policy do not seem to want to make your job any easier.

Advice to Management

Listen to and trust your staff more and then they will want to work for you - moral is at its lowest. There are some great employees at this company, unfortunately people do not feel appreciated.

Western Power Distribution2019-04-16

"The worst job I've ever had."

Former Employee - WPD - Administrative in Bristol, England

I worked at Western Power Distribution full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some of the engineers are nice.

Cons

I only stayed for the above average pay, but please don't be fooled. I'm still paying for what my time here did to my sanity. All of the managers are outright bullies, I've never been spoken down to and threatened by a senior until this job. The levels of incompetence are also staggering. We would honestly be baffled as to how certain people got their roles in the first place when they didn't have a clue what was... going on, how to manage people or even any idea on what work we had to do. I was forced to do the work of 2 people and any complaints would be met with the threat of losing my job. I also heard my manager threaten another member of staff when she raised concerns over how much work she had. There are no windows in the office either, which makes for an awful working environment.

Advice to Management

Sack them all and start again. The whole company is shamelessly and I imagine illegally (?) rife with nepotism and discrimination.

Western Power Distribution2019-04-27
  10. "How this organisation has gone downhill"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bridgwater, England
    No Opinion of CEO

Pros

Good salary and other benefits Good staff

Cons

Poor management just looking to reduce costs no matter the consequences. No strategic outlook. Blame culture throughout the management structure. Staff belittled and bullied/intimidated. Old computer systems and outdated methods of business Morale has never been so low and getting worse

Advice to Management

Sort out your strategy and keep your trusted staff informed of why you are making odd decisions - listen to their opinions.

Western Power Distribution2019-04-27