WhiteHat Security Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 30 October 2018

3.6
Craig Hinkley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work/Life balance is extraordinary" (in 9 reviews)

• "Fun environment, great co-works, unlimited PTO, great leadership, very supportive leadership, chances to grow" (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management makes some interesting decisions" (in 8 reviews)

• "Lack of training, lack of clear cut processes in some areas" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Growth and Organization Maturity"

I have been working at WhiteHat Security full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong sales growth, increasing organizational maturity, delivering results, employee focus with more development opportunities, much better collaboration than ever, outstanding new talent joining the company, productivity continues to increase, new HQ is awesome, leaders are maturing, safe environment to ask for help and ask tough questions, overall the company trend continues to be positive

Cons

Easily distracted, would like more communication, update office environment in Houston and Belfast sites please, more company swag for all employees to promote greater sense of "team", celebrate wins more locally

Advice to Management

Maintain focus and don't allow daily noise to distract from company goal achievement

"Slow improvement is no improvement"

Current Employee - Site Owner in Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Current Employee - Site Owner in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at WhiteHat Security full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you're looking to get a foothold in InfoSec then you could do a lot worse. Coming in at the ground level, WhiteHat will train you up and give you a solid foundation in the market. You'll be working in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere with some of the nicest people you'll ever meet.

The company has lost its way in the past few years but seems to be slowly getting back on track, and with the constant reshuffles and changes of management at every tier there are plenty of opportunities to progress upwards (to a certain level) if you're prepared, in the words of one senior manager, to "drink the Kool-Aid".

Cons

A recently-departed senior manager once described WhiteHat as the equivalent of an InfoSec university. People get hired here, work for a few years and then "graduate" to other jobs within the industry. And this wasn't even a criticism of the company; this was a senior manager of operations describing the company's modus operandi.

And it still stands. Technically our core product is woefully out-of-date and, despite the recent company-wide compensation review, the boots-on-the-ground employees are under-compensated but still expected to devote much of their knowledge to getting to grips with all the "quirks" and issues in the core service.

Having been here almost 2 years I've witnessed the constant struggle between what our clients expect from us and what limited information we can glean from our outdated internal systems that haven't had any dedicated development for over a decade.

Advice to Management

Think bigger. WhiteHat is a great brand and a respected name in the industry, but we're way behind the curve when it comes to QOS on a technical level. We could be so much better.

"Improvements need to happen"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at WhiteHat Security full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When I started less than a year ago, things seemed fantastic, you get trained up for 3 months so even if you're just done uni you've still a chance to get a job. Everyone in the office goes out of their way to help you with anything you might need. The people in our office are the friendliest group I could imagine working with, even if you're on different teams you're still considered part of the group and they always have a bit of advice for how to improve your work. We get cake once a month, tea, coffee, snacks, and plenty of activities arranged by our culture team

Cons

In my short time here there have been major changes made with no communication which makes me worry about how my job is going to progress. When I started I was told there are lots of opportunities to move upwards and learn more skills which was a major perk for me, but that's been completely removed. The pay is low, we are expected to do projects for the company that used to contribute to a bonus, but they basically took away the bonuses so what is the point of doing these projects for as little pay as we get? Management answer no questions but answer around them.

Advice to Management

Respect us a bit more. Communicate when you are making changes and maybe we would understand what you're doing, because right now it just looks like us employees are being pushed to the way-side so you can line your pockets. If you support and help us then we will support and help you which will help the whole company flourish. Actually answer our questions clearly when we ask them so we can see where this company is going.

"Great place to work."

Current Employee - Software Developer in Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at WhiteHat Security full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of opportunity for growth and lots of exposure to different technologies.
    Everyone is allowed to contribute to any repository. Lots of really intelligent developers that are always willing to help.
    Completely mac based company, everything hosted on GitHub in an open-source kind of fashion.
    Jira used for project management.
    Working from him isn't an issue.

Technolgies:

Golang
    ReactJS
    Vagrant
    Docker
    Ansible

Cons

Sometimes pull requests can be held up due to waiting on input from management etc. This is not usually too bad.

"Walking Dead"

I worked at WhiteHat Security full-time

Pros

Nice snacks, the new office is an upgrade, no more backflips

Cons

Stunning lack of innovation. The market has moved on to better tech stacks written in modern languages with built-in AI and machine learning. Growth has slowed as major customers leave for better tech or crowdsourcing. The management team has been built around yes-men (very few women) to the CEO with 0 to no security background. The last webinar by a Senior Product person on stats was a joke with no content or credibility. CEO has a complete lack of self-awareness. Talking constantly and being loud does not mean you know what you are saying.

Advice to Management

Too late for advice. It does not matter. Hope that investors can at least get their money back. This was a high growth, high-value company. No longer

"rather not say."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at WhiteHat Security full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall great team while trying to cover up leaders' incompetencies

Cons

fake and unprofessional management team.

"Lots of Product Issues; Leadership enables poor treatment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at WhiteHat Security full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are certain groups like sales, marketing, customer success and professional services who are great to work with. They are kind, motivated to help customers, and are helpful to other groups in the company. Marketing leadership did an outstanding job hitting the ground running and hiring great people to move things forward.

Cons

1. Leadership in product management has been enabled to treat others with disrespect and hostility. Their behavior has been tolerated even after numerous complaints from several people. The bullying needs to stop.
    2. Product is at least 5 years behind the market, despite what they might tell you. Basic features are non-existent to compete against the market leaders.
    3. Each product (DAST and SAST) are in completely different life cycles. And they both have serious issues such as not working generally, coverage, on boarding and customer experience.
    4. Product mgmt and engineering, who are supposed to be the technical experts on the product, can’t even explain in depth and give any detail what the product does and how it actually works. Everything is at a high level, there is no technical documentation or primers that the rest of the organization can consume. However, they are quick to blame others for not selling their products.
    5. Everything done by product mgmt and engg is done in a vacuum without consulting other groups in the company like customer success or professional services, the very ones who would have relevant input on user experience and product UI.
    6. There is the assumption that simply hiring those with technical Devops backgrounds in each area of the company will somehow make these problem disappear. It’s quite the opposite. Those individuals will be just as frustrated, if not more frustrated, given the lack of technical prowess in product mgmt, especially since they still need to get their information from somewhere. I love the idea, but prepare for more hard truths when you do hire those individuals. You can’t BS hardcore Devops people.

Advice to Management

Start getting real about what’s in front of you. Question assumptions and biases. Trust but verify. If certain groups are deflecting onto other groups, chances are the ones deflecting are the ones who need scrutiny. Get rid of the bullies and toxic leadership. You did all that work to create a better culture, only to throw it out the window by keeping certain people in power. It’s a shame.

"LOVE, LOVE, LOVE My Job!"

I have been working at WhiteHat Security full-time

Pros

Extremely nice, helpful and savvy people that get more done with less people and meetings than the norm

Cons

Sometimes an extra set of hands would be nice but that's changing

Advice to Management

Since joining WhiteHat I seem to like it even more each day. I have been able to meet some great people and see organic collaboration on a daily basis. Full disclosure: I am a recruiter which I believe adds to the credibility of my review, not negates it. Why? Because morally I have a very hard time talking to candidates about leaving their current employment or not entertaining competing offers if I didn't believe in the company or its leadership. If I can help anyone come to WhiteHat and be half as happy as I am then that was a success. If you want to say “Goodbye!” to the Sunday Night Blues this may be the place for you.

9. "Regional Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at WhiteHat Security full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Outstanding leadership, differentiated solution, fair compensation offerings

Cons

Need to continue to evolve GTM approach

Advice to Management

Keep listening to the team.

10. "SDR"

Current Employee - SDR in San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Employee - SDR in San Jose, CA (US)

Pros

Cons

A little unorganized when it comes to territories

Advice to Management

Organization of territories could be a little better