WhiteHat Security Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Craig Hinkley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work/Life balance is extraordinary" (in 9 reviews)

• "Fun environment, great co-works, unlimited PTO, great leadership, very supportive leadership, chances to grow" (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management makes some interesting decisions" (in 8 reviews)

• "Lack of training, lack of clear cut processes in some areas" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Growth and Organization Maturity"

I have been working at WhiteHat Security full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong sales growth, increasing organizational maturity, delivering results, employee focus with more development opportunities, much better collaboration than ever, outstanding new talent joining the company, productivity continues to increase, new HQ is awesome, leaders are maturing, safe environment to ask for help and ask tough questions, overall the company trend continues to be positive

Cons

Easily distracted, would like more communication, update office environment in Houston and Belfast sites please, more company swag for all employees to promote greater sense of "team", celebrate wins more locally

Advice to Management

Maintain focus and don't allow daily noise to distract from company goal achievement

"Slow improvement is no improvement"

Current Employee - Site Owner in Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Current Employee - Site Owner in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at WhiteHat Security full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you're looking to get a foothold in InfoSec then you could do a lot worse. Coming in at the ground level, WhiteHat will train you up and give you a solid foundation in the market. You'll be working in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere with some of the nicest people you'll ever meet.

The company has lost its way in the past few years but seems to be slowly getting back on track, and with the constant reshuffles and changes of management at every tier there are plenty of opportunities to progress upwards (to a certain level) if you're prepared, in the words of one senior manager, to "drink the Kool-Aid".

Cons

A recently-departed senior manager once described WhiteHat as the equivalent of an InfoSec university. People get hired here, work for a few years and then "graduate" to other jobs within the industry. And this wasn't even a criticism of the company; this was a senior manager of operations describing the company's modus operandi.

And it still stands. Technically our core product is woefully out-of-date and, despite the recent company-wide compensation review, the boots-on-the-ground employees are under-compensated but still expected to devote much of their knowledge to getting to grips with all the "quirks" and issues in the core service.

Having been here almost 2 years I've witnessed the constant struggle between what our clients expect from us and what limited information we can glean from our outdated internal systems that haven't had any dedicated development for over a decade.

Advice to Management

Think bigger. WhiteHat is a great brand and a respected name in the industry, but we're way behind the curve when it comes to QOS on a technical level. We could be so much better.

"Improvements need to happen"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at WhiteHat Security full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When I started less than a year ago, things seemed fantastic, you get trained up for 3 months so even if you're just done uni you've still a chance to get a job. Everyone in the office goes out of their way to help you with anything you might need. The people in our office are the friendliest group I could imagine working with, even if you're on different teams you're still considered part of the group and they always have a bit of advice for how to improve your work. We get cake once a month, tea, coffee, snacks, and plenty of activities arranged by our culture team

Cons

In my short time here there have been major changes made with no communication which makes me worry about how my job is going to progress. When I started I was told there are lots of opportunities to move upwards and learn more skills which was a major perk for me, but that's been completely removed. The pay is low, we are expected to do projects for the company that used to contribute to a bonus, but they basically took away the bonuses so what is the point of doing these projects for as little pay as we get? Management answer no questions but answer around them.

Advice to Management

Respect us a bit more. Communicate when you are making changes and maybe we would understand what you're doing, because right now it just looks like us employees are being pushed to the way-side so you can line your pockets. If you support and help us then we will support and help you which will help the whole company flourish. Actually answer our questions clearly when we ask them so we can see where this company is going.

"Great place to work."

Current Employee - Software Developer in Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at WhiteHat Security full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of opportunity for growth and lots of exposure to different technologies.
    Everyone is allowed to contribute to any repository. Lots of really intelligent developers that are always willing to help.
    Completely mac based company, everything hosted on GitHub in an open-source kind of fashion.
    Jira used for project management.
    Working from him isn't an issue.

Technolgies:

Golang
    ReactJS
    Vagrant
    Docker
    Ansible

Cons

Sometimes pull requests can be held up due to waiting on input from management etc. This is not usually too bad.

5. "LOVE, LOVE, LOVE My Job!"

I have been working at WhiteHat Security full-time

Pros

Extremely nice, helpful and savvy people that get more done with less people and meetings than the norm

Cons

Sometimes an extra set of hands would be nice but that's changing

Advice to Management

Since joining WhiteHat I seem to like it even more each day. I have been able to meet some great people and see organic collaboration on a daily basis. Full disclosure: I am a recruiter which I believe adds to the credibility of my review, not negates it. Why? Because morally I have a very hard time talking to candidates about leaving their current employment or not entertaining competing offers if I didn't believe in the company or its leadership. If I can help anyone come to WhiteHat and be half as happy as I am then that was a success. If you want to say “Goodbye!” to the Sunday Night Blues this may be the place for you.

6. "Regional Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at WhiteHat Security full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Outstanding leadership, differentiated solution, fair compensation offerings

Cons

Need to continue to evolve GTM approach

Advice to Management

Keep listening to the team.

7. "SDR"

Current Employee - SDR in San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Employee - SDR in San Jose, CA (US)

Pros

Cons

A little unorganized when it comes to territories

Advice to Management

Organization of territories could be a little better

8. "Software Engineer in Test"

I worked at WhiteHat Security full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Knowledgeable and highly professional engineers, working with them allowed me to grow my technical skills exponentially.
    Transition into latest software frameworks and tools.
    Good benefits and unlimited PTO policy; flexible hours; new office.

Cons

Average salary, no annual bonus.

"Revolving Door, no clear path..."

Former Employee - Customer Success Manager in San Jose, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Success Manager in San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at WhiteHat Security full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Solid products. Good brand name recognition.
    CEO is energetic and inspirational (at times).
    Marketing and Product Department are awesome.

Cons

- Constant employee turnover... still happening. Usually coincides with new Management.
    - Alot of deflection by saying "we are reorganizing" or improving and changing how we do things."
    - Some (not all) Senior Management are closed off and manage using fear. They only care about themselves.
    - Senior Management implements new processes and when they don't work blame employee adoption
      and will let go of supposed weak links to keep the heat off their failure as supposed "leaders."
    - Managers will throw their employees under the bus to appease a disgruntle customer or to keep their job.
    - Some processes will change week to week as Senior Management tries new things they just read in a book.
    - HR puts on a good face but fails in authenticity and emoting real empathy for employees.
    - No matter how much the C-Level cheers that we are 1 WhiteHat, silo's are in place and enforced. Inner circles,
      cliques exist. Difficult to trust anyone. Some will act kind to your face, but report any criticism to managers.
    - Losing key partnerships and not innovating where they need to innovate. Lack of forward vision.
    - Competitive Pay and rewards for Management ONLY.
    - Moved out of Gartner Leader quadrant after 4 years straight as a leader due to lack of innovation. (public
       report)
    - Not much racial diversity in Senior Management and C-Level.
    - They verbally champion and promote gender diversity but company is still run by ego driven men.

Advice to Management

Focus on retention, rewarding long time employees ($$) and new product development. Question Senior Management more in depth when their ideas fail and they have excuses ready. Don't believe Senior Management when they tell you "everything is fine." Make them prove it beyond the numbers. WhiteHat is a great company and has a passionate group of people who really care about the company and want to see it succeed. It would be better if mid-level and senior management and two C-Level people weren't so toxic.

10. "Great Opportunity, Great Company"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager-Enterprise Team in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager-Enterprise Team in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at WhiteHat Security full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Management
    Family Team Environment
    People are willing help you in any way to get the job done.
    Respectful, Fun Company Culture

Cons

I really don't have one.

Advice to Management

Keep treating your Sales people great and they will continue to do great things for the Customers and Company.