World Animal Protection Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

2.5
Steve McIvor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Innovative and driven organisation that covers animal welfare issues from a global perspective" (in 12 reviews)

• "Great organisation making a difference to animals worldwide" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Steer clear of this soul destroying black hole in the animal welfare movement, where supporter donations go to die" (in 20 reviews)

• "Limited opportunities due to favoured individuals by senior management through friendships not performance" (in 20 reviews)

"Great people and working environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at World Animal Protection full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some amazing passionate people that work here, friendly and knowledgeable in their own fields, always willing to help.

Development opportunities are outstanding, but you have to know what you want and not be afraid to ask. I have personally been offered great career progression that I will forever be grateful for.

Many recent changes in culture and structure helped streamline processes and identify faults, which made our voices feel heard.

Cons

Not a lot of extra employee benefits, but as an animal lover, working for a charity that helps so many animals surely is benefit enough.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and don't be afraid to be innovative. Take on more projects taking advantage of the latest advancements and technologies, as this is an area that has so much potential and it is underused at World Animal Protection (think apps, stickers, emojis, AR/MR/VR experiences, etc.)

"Love this place, and the continued potential is enormous"

I have been working at World Animal Protection full-time

Pros

Amazing colleagues (it feels like a little family in our team!) with limitless talent, enthusiasm and energy. An exciting and inspiring mission - an organisation that truly makes impact for animals around the world. It's great coming into work every day to know you're a part of that. There are so many exciting things happening, and if you are driven, passionate and use your initative, you can be at the crux of all of this and help shape it. The potential for the future is enormous, and this in itself is really exciting.

Cons

There have been some challenges with processes and comms between departments, often the case at many workplaces, but these are rapidly improving.

Advice to Management

Keep up the positive changes, and grow and build upon this great momentum. Continue empowering your staff to be experts, so they can continue to be happy, and inspired at work.

"A rising star. If you're passionate, positive and entrepreneurial, you'll do well here."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at World Animal Protection full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A job with World Animal Protection gives you the opportunity to transform the lives of animals around the world. You get to work with a diverse bunch of wonderful colleagues, all of whom are experts in their field and dedicated to the cause. The organisation is putting some great systems in place to deliver truly integrated global campaigns and the culture is improving every day. Salaries are pretty decent. The working environment is great.

Cons

The place is fairly process heavy but show me a global organisation that isn't.

Some colleagues just don't get the link between personal choice and mission (e.g. eating factory farmed meat in the office), but hey, it keeps us out of the animal welfare bubble, which is actually really useful.

There needs to be better global alignment in terms of our operating model - we're a campaigning organisation and we need to act like one. There are a few too many debates about the vale of 'insider' versus 'outsider' approaches. This will get better as internal confidence grows.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Don't be complacent. You (we) have an incredible opportunity to be THE world's leading animal welfare organisation.

"Rome wasn't built in a day... a place for those with vision and determination!"

I have been working at World Animal Protection full-time

Pros

The organisation does some truly outstanding work, and it takes a different approach to protecting animals than other charities. It has some innovative campaigns and is responsible for some major wins over the years, of which I'm proud to have been a part of.

There are plenty of positive, passionate people who you get to work with on a daily basis. If you're lucky, you'll get to witness some of the work first-hand around the world. But not everyone gets this chance, because it's not the primary way change is made.

And if you work hard, opportunities will come your way to work on different projects, new campaigns, and with new people, and to step up.

Cons

The culture of the organisation has taken a hit recently. It's not perfect. No surprises there. But find me a company without its challenges. There have been big changes across the organisation over the last 24 months, and as with all change there are winners and and there are losers. You tend to find that people who have an axe to grind will find their way to Glassdoor quicker than others, hence the dominating sentiment across most of these reviews. My advice to those people: if you're unhappy, ask yourself why you're still there. You're doing neither yourself nor the organisation and the cause (protecting animals!) any favours.

So it does mean that you have to find your motivation from within and not from those you work with. Yes, that can be tough day to day, but you need to remember why you're here and what you're trying to achieve. There's no place in an organisation like this for people who just want to rest on their laurels and complain. Animals need our help, and nothing should get in the way of getting the job done.

Advice to Management

There's still a long way to go, so you need to keep the energy high. Be passionate about building a world-class organisation, as well as our purpose. Model exceptional behaviours. Create a culture of feedback. Be open to new ideas. Recognise star performers. Don't accept second best, in others nor in yourselves.

"Ruthless. Nepotistic. Indecisive. Damaging. Avoid."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at World Animal Protection full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Make animals' lives better. Work with other committed staff. Flexible working.

Cons

Overblown planning processes, short term thinking on theories of change; more focused on making noise than real impact. Often short on technical capability. Ruthless and incompetent management, fearful working environment. I only realized how much damage it had done to my integrity and sense of competence after I left. HR are woefully incompetent and careless, making several important mistakes. It was a learning experience, not one I am keen to repeat. My performance reviews were always really positive, but by the end I didn't think I was capable of anything.

Advice to Management

Take a long hard look at yourselves and get some humility. Listen to your staff.

"Great organisation striving to be world class"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at World Animal Protection full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great organisation making a difference to animals worldwide. Flexibile workplace and not a long hours culture that I have experienced in other charities. Accessible and capable senior management team. Great monthly staff meetings which showcase our work across the world. I am proud to work at this organisation.

Cons

Like many organisations going through a change process there is tension in some areas. However, the organisation is working with colleagues to improve the employee experience and culture. Many of these posts on this board relate to the past, not the current working experience which is much improved in terms of accountability and openness and connection to our country offices and our animal impact.

Advice to Management

Be strong, stick to you principals . Current efforts are making a difference.

"Avoid WAP like the plague. They wouldn't treat animals the way they treat their staff."

I have been working at World Animal Protection full-time

Pros

Most of the people have great intentions and are there for the right reasons, to make a difference to the lives of millions of animals around the world.

Working in pretty unfriendly circumstances brings staff closer together.

Cons

Seems to attract the very worst types of management all the way to the top, regardless of which 'regime' is in charge.

Significant issues continue around CEO promoting those he is 'close' too. This was a problem with the previous CEO and remains today.

Ongoing issue of the organisation raising millions of pounds every years off the back of issues (particularly bears) that very little attention is paid to and a tiny fraction of that money is spent on. This is a dishonesty to the loyal and amazing supporters that is now accepted across the organisation but is appalling. The preservation of organisational and fundraising growth is put ahead of the supporters and benefits to animal welfare.

I have never heard of an organisation causing more people to become physically and mentally ill than here. Numerous staff members have been off on sick leave caused at least in part by the pressures the organisation unfairly puts on them and the manner in which they are managed.

Seems to be a new (or 'refreshed') strategy every year or so. Causes widespread confusion and doesn't allow staff to plan long-term. Constant issues of budgets being slashed and then suddenly under spends being announced so money is miraculously recovered and spent on projects with little strategy involved.

Along with changing strategies comes staff restructures which are expected each year. First comes a protracted consultation (where feedback is routinely ignored) and then staff not seen as loyal to senior management are made redundant, with various payoffs depending what dirt they have on the organisation and the CEO. But then surprise surprise, within a few months virtually the same job is advertised for but with a different job title.

I wouldn't recommend this organisation to my worst enemy and I would tell potential donors to go elsewhere if they want to see it a positive difference for animals. Working there creates a bunker mentality and drains all energy possible. I genuinely hope the appropriate governing bodies do a full enquiry into the issues at this organisation as I do not believe anything short of this will actually change the shocking way it has been run.

Advice to Management

You wouldn't advocate treating animals the way you treat your staff. Admit what is going wrong and make the wholesale changes that have been needed for years.

"Bad management and decreasing reputation"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at World Animal Protection full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexi working hours
    WSPA used to do decent job

Cons

Helping animals isn't their priority anymore. People who lead the organisation have little knowledge about animal welfare and take important decisions without consulting experts. There is no freedom to do things, everything is dictated from people above you. There is micromanagement at all levels and it really drives you crazy when someone is almost spying on you and not letting you do your job because they are extremely controlling and have trust issues. They never recruit people on time and there are gaps that are not filled for long time, this makes it harder for you to do your job.

Advice to Management

Review your management as there are so many issues with micromanagement and no one checks on people to see if they are managed in a professional way. Don't just review new employees but also review their managers. Let experts take important decisions and lead the projects. Review your rebrand and think what went wrong, WSPA used to be way more successful and recognizable (fyi people still know you as WSPA).

"Painful..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at World Animal Protection full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working hours are good - no need to work extremely long hours.

Cons

Coming to work most days makes me want to slit my wrists. A lot of colleagues do not have any interpersonal or teamworking skills and they come across really confrontational. They will not thank you for putting in the hours to do your job but they will make you feel rubbish if you make a mistake, no matter how small it is. It's all a blame game.

Advice to Management

Get rid of people who will drag this organisation down. However i don't think management has the guts to do anything. They don't want to rock the boat. No matter how many complaints are made or feedback is given, management will pretend everything is fine. The organisation needs new blood.

"Don't work here"

I have been working at World Animal Protection full-time

Pros

very little; salaries are higher than average for the sector but not worth the stress

Cons

No trust in senior management. Colleagues keep leaving. Sad place to work. I don't feel valued.