Airbnb Software Engineer New Grad Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Airbnb Software Engineer New Grad Interview Questions

Interviews at Airbnb

3.7

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb in October 2019.

Interview

After the university Hackerrank test, I received an email in about a week to do a 90-minutes phone interview. The questions were moderately tough compared to other FAANGULTAD interviews.

The first interview went well and I was able to come up with a working solution within the given timeframe. The interviewer seemed to be satisfied with the solution and I proceeded to the second round. The second interview didn't go as expected though. The interviewer was nice but was inexperienced at interviewing candidates. I usually try to brainstorm a few ideas, discuss my solutions with the interviewer, and pick the best solution and code it up. However, whenever I verbally expressed my thought process, the interviewer intervened and asked if this is the best and tried to nudge me down towards his way of thinking. I really appreciate that he was trying to help, but not everyone's thought process works the same. I could've ultimately arrived at the same optimized solution but because the interviewer kept interrupting throughout my initial brainstorming stage, my thoughts got tangled up and did not perform too well. I was able to get to a working solution, but I think the second interviewer was dissatisfied that I couldn't think in his way immediately. I think Airbnb should train interviewers better to get the most out of their candidates.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Airbnb

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA (US)) in December 2018.

Interview

Hacker rank -> virtual onsite -> onsite. They usually got back within a week of the interview. The technical questions varied a lot but were usually difficult. The office is really great!

Interview Questions

• Talk about how your life relates to airbnb core values.   Answer Question

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA (US)) in October 2018.

Interview

Got a hackerrank, medium/hard question. Solved it and got a "virtual onsite" scheduling request in a couple of days.

The virtual onsite was basically 2 phone interviews, both technical. The questions were not that hard, but not super easy. The main difficulty was finishing the questions and the follow-up in just 45 minutes.

Within a few days, I heard back about an onsite. The onsite was 3 interviews: 2 behavioral (aka "cross-functional") and 1 technical. The technical was definitely the hardest of the technical questions I had yet. The cross-functionals were also not easy. They will press you for more clarity if you give an overly-vague answer. Don't assume you can just talk your way around the questions.

Heard back with an offer about a week after. The recruiting staff were all super transparent and helpful. Great experience overall.

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb in September 2018.

Interview

Got reached out to why the recruiter at the end of summer. Didn't get past the first round, which is a Hackerrank. The problem set a context and there was a lot of different requirements to handle

Interview Questions

• hackerrank which represented a simulation of locations being attacked / aided etc   Answer Question

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA (US)) in September 2018.

Interview

Process was straight forward. Two back-to-back 45 minute interviews with a 15 minute break in between.
    Interviews were nice and understanding. I didn't quite get the questions but they were helpful in guiding me. First technical question was fair. However, the second technical question was a horrible question. It was the IP to CIDR question you can find on Leetcode. The interviewer and I both got frustrated since it was not a question either of us were used to.

Interview Questions

• 1. Flights path and min cost
      2. IP to CIDR   1 Answer

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA (US)) in October 2017.

Interview

I got an invite from a recruiter to attend a network event, which led to a Hacker Rank challenge. Afterwards, I talked on the phone with an engineer for 15 minutes to go over my solution. Then, I was invited to do two technical Skype interviews. Finally, they flew me on-site for three interviews: 1 technical and 2 "cross functional" interviews. The cross functional interviews were largely cultural, i.e. would you be a good fit for Airbnb? The cross functional interviews are not necessarily conducted by other engineers. Overall, everything was super quick and the recruiters were really personable. The company made a really positive impression on me. Definitely look at the glass door posts below to prepare for interviews - they're very helpful.

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

Interview process began with a technical call, which was a little difficult but doable. I advanced to the next stage, which was two more technical before the onsite. The first technical was pretty hard and I wasn't able to get running code. The second technical was more doable and I got working code, but I think I was rejected after this stage due to the first technical. Interviewers were fairly polite but a little cold.

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Airbnb in January 2017.

Interview

Phone interview - 1 question on coding, No discussion on resume. Discussed the code and approach and then had to write on the editor. The interviewer was very helpful and guided along.

Interview Questions

• Write code on online editor   1 Answer

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (Seattle, WA (US)) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online then the recruiter set up a technical phone screening with an engineer there. I passed the first one so they scheduled another but I didn't pass the second one. The second engineer had a weirdly worded question so I believe I failed the interview based on the wording of the question. It was hard to understand what was being asked of me rather than the code complexity.

Interview Questions

• Given users with locations in a list and a logged in user with locations... find their travel buddies (people who shared more than half of your locations).   Answer Question
    • Given an array of integers, sort the array so that all odd indexes are greater than the even indexes.   Answer Question

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb (New York, NY (US)) in December 2016.

Interview

1 phone interview & 1 skype interview before onsite interviews consisting of 2 cross-functional and 2 technical interviews. They stress a lot on culture fit but do not ask until onsite interviews. All interviews prior to onsite for me were literally the interviewer introducing themselves and diving into solving the problem on coderpad. They didn't ask anything about me as they say they want to give as much time to solve the problem. Focus on getting your solution running correctly and bug-free within the time frame they give you.

Onsite:
    The 2 cross-functional interviews were basically fun conversations not related to the role - aimed to see culture fit/aligned mission with company. Was asked to bring my laptop and have IDE prepared. No white board coding - they want to see running code on laptop.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.