Etsy Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Etsy Interview Questions

Updated 23 May 2019

2.9

Paralegal Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Etsy.

Interview

Applied and got a phone screening with a recruiter very quickly. Was pretty short, just an overview of the position/company and my qualifications. Had a second interview with the hiring manager, but was not really asked many questions and was continually asked if I had questions for them. Two days later I received a generic email that I wasn't the right match. Everyone was nice, but I found it strange the lack of questions asked about my experience/how I could contribute to the team. Overall the process took 1-2 weeks.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Etsy in February 2014.

Interview

Contacted by hr, one round phone interview

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Etsy.

Interview

Interviewed at Etsy, great experience overall. Incredibly intelligent and enthusiastic employees.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Etsy (Brooklyn, NY (US)) in August 2013.

Interview

Went through multiple rounds of phone interview, some involving coding practices. After 2-3 calls I was brought into the DUMBO office for a round of meetings with various people in the group. Did a couple small coding exercises involving jQuery and CSS3 Shapes. Interview room is a little claustrophobic and weirdly sits in middle of whole office.

Interview Questions

• Creation of HTML5/CSS3 shapes from image. It was more of a cognitive tests based on how to flip elements to create other shapes.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Etsy (Brooklyn, NY (US)).

Interview

Some employees of Etsy found profile work online and were very interested. They arranged to fly in for the interview to their Brooklyn, NYC headquarters. They paid for the flight and hotel and offered additional compensation for taxis in the city. Everyone I met was very interested in my interview and offered a warm welcome. The interview was multi-part and I spoke with various engineers and HR reps both in the team I was being considered for and other teams throughout the company. Questions were taken from real-world problems not puzzles or comp sci tricks. They provided food and coffee throughout the day. Overall it was the best interview experience I've had so far, with people genuinely interested in my previous work and how I could help their team.

Interview Questions

• Open ended questions about the company or how I would change their current products were difficult to ask with little info on how they are already built or work.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY (US)

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Etsy (Brooklyn, NY (US)) in January 2010.

Interview

General phone screen, preceded by a request for sample code. Questions like "what is your preferred language"? Describe projects you have worked on.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I had two phone interviews, then a skype interview. The skype and phone interviews were technical.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Etsy.

Interview

First I was sent an email asking me to describe my technical experience, successes, failures, interests, availability, and a few technical questions. Then I had a phone technical interview where I was asked a lot of general technical questions (describe how the internet works... describe agile programming practices) then a few coding questions.
    I was asked to come on site the following week. They said they were on a tight schedule and wanted all on site interviews done in the next week. Because I'm not from New York this took some planning, however the recruiter(s) didn't respond until the day before the interview... So I skipped school, jumped on to New York, taxied to Brooklyn, interviewed, and immediately came all the way back (4-5 hour trip each way).
    There were four interviews. The first woman didn't really have any questions for me. She asked what teams (from a list) I would be most interested in, and I told her and explained why. Then she just kind of sat there spinning in her chair, looking at the ground, checking the time on her phone. I started asking her questions because I had no idea what she wanted, but she was really shy so it was very difficult to click. She clearly didn't want to be interviewing.
    Then the next two interviewers asked me coding/whiteboard questions. Neither interview was tricky for me, but I enjoyed them a lot. I certainly answered everything correctly and got positive responses from both men. The fourth and last interview was also non technical and about what teams might be right for me. I really liked the guy and we talked the entire hour about Etsy, the industry, what to look for in entry jobs, etc. He said I would be a great fit there, and overall it seemed like a good day.
    After the interviews, the recruiter gave me a tour of the place and then promised to email me the following Wednesday. He said if I hadn't heard by then to email him.
    Well Wednesday came and went. Friday came and went and I sent the recruiter an email. Then another week passed. I emailed the scheduling recruiter as well to see what was up.... no responses from anyone I emailed. Over a month went by before I finally got an email from the recruiter saying that they just couldn't decide who to hire. They had a lot of good candidates and not enough positions, so they needed more time to choose fairly (what happened to their strict timeline?). He said he'd have an answer in a week.
    Well that was two months ago and I still haven't gotten a response. I missed school to interview with them, spent 8+ hours traveling to be there... and I never even got an email.
    I've never done an on site interview with a company and not at least gotten a phone call, whether the news was good or bad. I'm kind of stunned that Etsy handles their applicants this way. A simple "thanks for applying but..." email goes a long way.

Interview Questions

• There were some tricky general questions in the phone interview about distributed processing.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Etsy (New York, NY (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online and got an initial screening call a couple of weeks later. From there, I did a short 30-45 minute live coding test with an engineer over the phone using Codepen. I then submitted a short "homework" assignment that I was able to do over a couple of days at home; I had to code a simple whack-a-mole game. Finally, they brought me to NY to interview in person. The in-person interviews are intense as they lasted from about 10:30 am to 4:30 pm including a casual lunch interview. Everyone was nice and interesting to talk to and the Etsy offices are really cool. They also provided a first-rate experience by providing my flight, hotel and a car service.

Interview Questions

• Design a database for a parking lot using a whiteboard.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Etsy (New York, NY (US)) in March 2016.

Interview

Had a phone screen with the hiring manager. Went over my background and asked one tech question over coderpad. After that, asked to complete a coding assignment and after submitting it, was invited to the onsite in Brooklyn NY. Onsite was about 5 hours all within the same room including the lunch interview as well.

Interview Questions

• behavior questions. system design architecture questions. (onsite)   1 Answer
    • dynamic programming question found on leetcode (onsite)   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.