Financial Ombudsman Service Interview Questions

Updated 18 Feb 2021

To filter interviews, or .

Interviews at Financial Ombudsman Service

Recruiter13%
HardAverageEasy
Found 98 candidate interviews
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nigeria
Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Financial Ombudsman Service (Nigeria)

Interview

1. The first stage was a Phone interview with a HR staff. 2. The second stage was a Presentation to two Executive Directors and a Competence Interview with them. 3. Then they call you back with feedback on the outcomes.

Interview Questions
  • Why do you want to join us? What do you think is our biggest challenges? How will you solve our biggest challenges? What is the most critical path of a strategy development process?
    Answer Question
Anonymous Interview Candidate in United Kingdom
Application

I interviewed at Financial Ombudsman Service (United Kingdom)

Interview

I had to do a series of tests.

Interview Questions
Financial Ombudsman Service
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malaysia
Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Financial Ombudsman Service (Malaysia) in Feb 2021

Interview

Starts off with an online application where you need to provide your CV, and a 'statement', which is basically answering 2 competency style questions. If they like what you write, you'll be invited to do an online SHL verbal reasoning test. Make sure you prepare for this by trying practice tests. get through that and they'll arrange a phone interview. Get through that and they'll send you an online case study to provide a response for. I failed at this point so can't say what's next. The phone interview itself went quite well, but felt it was a little distracting, as at times I could hear the lady typing away on a computer. She said she tried to mute herself, but she actually muted me at one point. After the interview, I was told I would receive the online case study by a certain deadline. This had come and gone, and had to chase up the resource team. I'll give it to them, they do reply to emails and are quite accommodating with requests.

Interview Questions
  • Provide a time when you have dealt with an angry customer. Provide a time when you have worked in a target based environment. What do you know about FOS and the role. Talk me through your CV.
Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England
Application

I interviewed at Financial Ombudsman Service (London, England) in Jan 2021

Interview

A robot from HR called, asking very simple questions . He was totally unresponsive, cold and simply carrying out an data entry exercise. He made me feel incredibly awkward, I would be way more comfortable leaving a voicemail as a job application. The worst of all is, I didn't pass the "phone interview" which is very strange given my skillset, experience and the answers I gave.

Interview Questions
  • Same questions that I answered on the initial application plus what does an investigator do, what do you know about FOS...etc.
Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England
Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Financial Ombudsman Service (London, England) in Dec 2020

Interview

I was offered a telephone interview following the submission of my CV, a personal statement and a verbal reasoning test. The telephone interview itself was fairly standard, although it felt as if the interviewer just wanted to go through the motions as quickly as possible. It felt quite robotic, scripted and impersonal - I didn't get the sense that she knew anything about me at all, besides my name. I have very little customer service experience, as evidenced in my initial application. Nevertheless, I attempted to tailor an answer to the "dealing with a difficult customer" question as best as I could, but ultimately I think my answer was pretty poor. My advice to potential applicants or those with a forthcoming interview would be to prepare to answer customer service based questions, regardless of whether you've made your previous experience (or lack thereof) clear. Be confident tailoring your answers, and don't stumble if you're caught off guard. Finally, the phone connection was pretty terrible. It sounded as if the interviewer was underwater, and I could hear her typing notes on my responses which was quite off putting. Good luck!

Interview Questions
  • What is your understanding of the role? How do your skills and experience fit the role? Provide an example of a time when you've had to deal with a difficult customer. Provide an example of a time when a decision you've made has had implications for your team. Provide an example of a time when you've had to make complex decisions within a limited time frame.
Anonymous Employee in London, England
Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Financial Ombudsman Service (London, England) in Sep 2020

Interview

Phone interview, I then review a document where I had to answer some questions, I will then find out if I made it to the second process. Then an inperson interview was scheduled where we talked more about the service they provide.

Interview Questions
  • They wanted to know if you knew about the role and what an ombudsman does.
Anonymous Interview Candidate in United Kingdom
Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Financial Ombudsman Service (United Kingdom)

Interview

One word to describe the recruitment process at the FOS..... (Pathetic!). Please read this review and previous reviews on interviews and the company itself before applying for this role. I was contacted by a recruitment agency (You will be approached like this) and the recruiter went through my CV and asked if I am interested in the role. If you say yes, then you will be invited to a phone interview that will last for 30-40 minutes. In order to prepare for this interview, you will need to prepare for the competency questions that will be asked relating to the 'role' (note how I emphasised the word 'role'). If you pass this phone interview, you will then be invited to a verbal reasoning test. If you pass that, then you will get a written excercise where you will have to write a response to a complaint. Now here's the catch. No matter how clearly you explain the issue on the complaint and reach a valid conclusion if you pass; you will still have to give reasons as to why you reached that response regardless of already giving a detailed reason in the written excercise. After passing the written excericse, you will be invited to a face to face interview. Now this is where it gets interesting. You will be informed beforehand that the interview will be based on first talking about the case study, then just general question regarding FOS and finally competency question on the role (so basically a repeat of the same questions that were asked by the recruiter but by using different examples). Now I would understand how important the star technique is for interviews and I have used this in an effective manner in the past but to be told that you need to add certain things in your answers for these questions to actually answer these questions is ridiculous). How can you brag about promoting diversity if you want a certain type of answer from a applicant. You constantly report promoting diverse working environment and say that this prevents this one size fits all ideal at workplace but are doing the exact opposite on interviews? I see many negative reviews here regarding the company prior to applying and I thought that these reviews were only written in spite as these individuals did not get the job but after applying for this role. I was wrong. And while we are at it, lets address the elephant in the room. For those of you wondering who this recruitment agency is? It goes by the name of Addecco. Good luck, stay blessed and avoid this organisation the best you can!

Interview Questions
Financial Ombudsman Service
Anonymous Interview Candidate in United Kingdom
Application

I interviewed at Financial Ombudsman Service (United Kingdom)

Interview

Difficult and complicated. After going through all stages, I was denied an offer due to 'lack of experience' which they could have just stated at the start as it was seen on my CV. Overall, good communication about the interview process and everything was well timed and spread out.

Interview Questions
Financial Ombudsman Service
Anonymous Employee in United Kingdom
Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Financial Ombudsman Service (United Kingdom) in Aug 2020

Interview

Quite a long but straightforward process. I had 5 steps in total: initial application, verbal reasoning test, telephone interview, case study and finally the face to face (video) interview.

Interview Questions
  • What do you think will be the most challenging part of the job? Basic competencies, I used the STAR technique to answer. Make sure you know the scenarios in depth because they asked follow-up questions after the initial answer.
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coventry, England
Application

I applied online. The process took 2 months. I interviewed at Financial Ombudsman Service (Coventry, England) in Jul 2020

Interview

The interview process was long, which consisted of 5 stages: 1) Online application; 2) Verbal Reasoning Test; 3) Telephone Interview; 4) Online case study; and 5) Online 'face-to-face' Interview. I had to pass each stage to progress towards the next stage. I applied online on the FOS website which requires you to submit a CV and covering letter. After succeeding with my initial application, I was sent a link to complete their Verbal Reasoning Test which must be completed within 2 days. This was the SHL Verbal Reasoning test, where I needed to answer 30 questions in 19 minutes. After passing this, I had to book my 30-minute telephone interview within the next week. I had a lady from HR call me and the interview lasted about 17 minutes. She asked me general interview questions about myself and some competency questions. After passing this stage, I received an email to complete their online case study within 2 days. I was presented a case study about a customer asking for a refund for tickets from an organisation. The case study was about a page long. I had to then write a letter to the party who I will be deciding against and give reasons for my decision. I had another question, where I had to explain any reasons why I think that party will disagree with my reasoning. I structured my letter in two sections: 1) A brief overview of the complaint; and 2) My Decision, with the reasons why. To help with how to structure my answer, I researched the FOS website and found a page with decisions made by Investigators on various matters, so I tried to follow this structure. It helped me understand common things that Investigators must explain in their decision. After passing this stage, I was invited to the final interview. Due to Covid-19, it had to be conducted virtually over Webex. I was interviewed by a lady from HR and another Ombudsman Manager. The interview was an hour long and was split in 3 stages: 1) The Ombudsman Manager discussed my answer in the case study and how I came to that decision. He also tried changing little details from the case study to see if my answer will change. He grilled me very specifically about what method I used to reach the decision; 2) The second stage had strengths/ competency questions, and was the longest stage of the interview process. They concentrated on 3 main competencies and asked me questions relating to this. The lady from HR was very positive and friendly but the manager from Ombudsman grilled me intensely about my answers! His next questions would be based on what I said in the previous answer. He tried to grill me about my past job as a Paralegal and tried to challenge the legal knowledge I had explained in the situations for the competency questions, which I thought was highly irrelevant. I wasn't sure if he wanted me to provide answers that he thought were irrevocably right or if he was grilling me on purpose to see how well I handle myself when challenged, but regardless I explained myself well and stuck to my answers confidently. I'm not sure if I got unlucky with the interviewer I had, or if they are all like that, but I would come very prepared. 3) The final stage was where I could ask questions about the job, which I spent about 10 minutes questioning the role. I got rejected at the last stage of the application process which was extremely disappointing, especially as I thought the final interview had gone well and I had nailed it, regardless all that intense grilling. I was told that I would hear back within 48 hours and the rejection email was sent the day after my interview. I had wasted a month and a half going through their long recruitment process and was not even provided with feedback in the rejection email. So, I emailed the lady from HR asking for feedback, and I was never received a response even now, which is extremely rude considering the time and effort I put in preparing for this role.

Interview Questions
  • I cannot remember all the questions from the final interview as I was being grilled for most of it, but these are telephone interview questions I got asked: 1) Why have you left your current role? 2) Why do you want to work for us? 3) What do you know about the role? 4) Example of dealing with a dissatisfied customer. 5) Example of when you had to make a complex decision. 6) What skills/experience do you have? 7) Why will your skills and experience help with this role? From the final interview, when they asked me, I told them I did not uphold the complaint because it was unreasonable. The manager started asking me what 'reasonable' was. I come from a legal background so I explained I would use the civil standard of reasonable, then he went into detail about to what extent I would think something is reasonable and something is not...so be prepared to be grilled intensely about your answers and provide logical reasons. There was also a competency question about how I would handle an unreasonable customer, how I would handle a complaint and what I think is important to succeed in that role.
Viewing 1 - 10 of 98 Interviews