Financial Ombudsman Service Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Financial Ombudsman Service Interview Questions

Interviews at Financial Ombudsman Service

Leader/Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Financial Ombudsman Service.

Interview

The recruitment processes in this organisation are very bad. It's a very disorganised company and there is no consistency at all in their recruitment. Last year I applied for a managerial position and was invited to their office to do a case study- I know that I did it very well and exactly how they wanted it to be, however, I was rejected for some reason and didn't progress to the interview stage... I find it at least unacceptable to ask candidates to work under pressure for 90 minutes to write a case study for you and use it as a method of 'pre-screening' to then decide who you will interview. I had done lots of research and practice and I know I did very well, but if you aren't prepared you simply can't complete this case study- it does require lots of prior knowledge.

On the same day I was meant to have an interview too (after the case study) but we were told that it's not nice to keep us there for so long (so why have you scheduled both elements to take place on the same day in the first instance anyway?) and we were only asked to have a five-minute (literally five) 'chat' with someone from HR, who asked general admin questions like notice period, salary expectations etc (it wasn't an interview).

A few days later I was told that they will not progress me to the interview stage.

It took them AGES to send me my requested feedback- which is very unprofessional and careless, considering what the candidate has been through. Eventually they called me (left a voice mail) with their feedback- which again find odd and unprofessional- why not emailing me your feedback?! I have to admit thought that the feedback they gave me was very comprehensive and productive.

I recently applied for another role- again managerial. An HR rep called me for a 'phone interview' (pre-screening actually). They said it would last about 30 min, it lasted 15 min. The HR rep clearly doesn't know the job, he/she acts as a machine to sort out candidates I believe. Their questions are very robotic and they type what you say, in a way which doesn't sound natural at all- it's like talking to a machine.

After a few days I received a rejection email, saying thank you for your application, it won't be progressed further- like the rejection emails we get at application stage. However, my application had been progressed to the first stage (phone interview) and this wasn't mentioned in the email. I asked them if the email they sent me is wrong (as it implies that I was unsuccessful at the application stage) and still haven't received a response. I did very well in the phone interview and I believe I definitely meed the requirements for the role (otherwise they wouldn't have asked me to have a phone interview anyway)- so I'm really keen to know why I wasn't progressed to the actual interview. I'll wait and see what feedback they give me...

Adjudicator Interview

Interview

After the telephone interview which was just a chat to get to know you better and if you're suitable for the role. The face to face Interview was with two people each asking around six or seven competency based questions in total. The interview was quite informal and pleasant with the opportunity to ask questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Interview

The most long winded and worst interview process I have experienced just for the Investigator role, basically investigating and responding to complaints.

First was a verbal reasoning test, then a telephone Interview, then a cover Letter.
    And once you've overcome all that then you get invited to the 'interview' where you have to respond to a case study and ONLY if you pass that will you go onto the main interview.

Upon entrance into the building, the atmosphere was very institutionalised and unfriendly. Eventually you get placed in front of a desk to respond to the case study.

After completing the case study, somoene takes your paper and you are asked to wait for about 20 minutes in that same room.

An asian lady appeared eventully and said you were not successful and will not be pproceeding to te next stage. This news was openly spoken with the door wide open with people standing
    close by and next to another applicant with his door wide open and therefore heard what happened.

I have never experienced such unprofessionalism and embarrasment at a job interview.

Feedback via the recruiter was later provided, stating that my letter lacked reasoning, the events were reiterated and the writing was generally poor.

The manner in which this letter was written is industry standard and whilst I welcome all opnions to improve my letter writing, i have absolutley no idea what clown was marking the paper
    and was written as per their requirments. This is not bitterness but the whole process was a JOKE.

I was told they have rejected many applicants previously and have many vacancies for INVESTIGATOR to feel and now I know why.

PLEASE ask yourself whether this job is worth it as it would seem its a horrible place to work.

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Financial Ombudsman Service (London, England) in January 2020.

Interview

Same as everyone before. CV verbal reasoning test, cover letter and then an interview.
    I was worried about the case study but it was a little bit if common sense just have a good structure. I wrote mine out with dear **** sorry for the delay whilst I dealt with your complaint.... I had three bold headers for each section (complaint overview, my decision and solution) then finally a sign off.
    Once you pass that you'll have a face to face compatency interview which had around 5 questions my tip would be have an example for all the comps not for a specific questions so you can adapt it to the question asked. The two people who interviewed were really nice and encouraging and we had a couple laughs at the end.
    The office is similar to my current but everyone who passed me did smile and say hi which in the civil service where I'm coming from is rare.

Interview Questions

• tell about a time you worked in a team.   1 Answer

Investigators Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Financial Ombudsman Service (London, England) in December 2019.

Interview

4 stages, application stage, online assessment, phone interview, case study and then face to face interview. If you pass the first two stages then you have a phone interview, if you pass you get invited to the headquarters for a case study and then if you pass you have a face to face interview the same day.

Interview Questions

• One time where you have helped a colleague solve a problem , one time where you have dealt with a challenging customer , one time where you have solved a problem without any managerial assistance   Answer Question

Investigator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Financial Ombudsman Service in November 2019.

Interview

You apply on line through Reeds Recruitment, then you will do some on line tests. After passing the on line test, you will do telephone interview and also write a 700 word covering letter on why you want to work in Financial Ombudsman services,. The covering letter will be considered together with the telephone interview before you are invited to the face to face interview

Interview Questions

• A case study interview where you have to write a letter to a customer based on the case matter. You then discuss the rationale for the decision reached on the case with the interviewers and you will answer some competency based questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Financial Ombudsman Service (London, England) in October 2019.

Interview

2 stage process. A written exercise and then if you are successful, a follow- up panel interview. I found the written exercise laughable and wasn't that interested in the role given the low pay. However after the written exercise I had to wait 30/45 minutes (as opposed to the 5-10 minutes I had been advised I would have to wait) just for the relevant employees to review my written exercise to let me know if I was going to the second round interview. This further added to the old school, inefficient public service vibe. This plus the Ugg boots on the staff were a bit lacklustre.

Interview Questions

• The scenario they gave for the written exercise was hilarious and difficult to take seriously. As a while the place seemed to take itself very seriously, particularly in light of the low pay. Employees wear Ugg boots to work, so it doesn't feel very professional either.   Answer Question

Application

Interview

Approached by a recruiter after finding my CV online. Online reasoning test followed by personal statement and telephone interview.
    On site appointment consisting of a case study exercise followed by face to face.

Adjudicator Interview

Interview

A panel of two individuals asking you questions based around their core values. Thats bascially it. About 4 or 5 questions. One person writes whilst the other person asks you the questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Financial Ombudsman Service (London, England) in June 2019.

Interview

Applied through a recruiter, there was an online test that I had to pass after this followed by a phone interview. Finally, a face to face 3-panel interview consisted of a test and a competency-based style interview.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.