Financial Ombudsman Service Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

1.9
Caroline Wayman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Relatively good work/life balance" (in 54 reviews)

• "Nice people and offices, good benefits and overall the pay isn’t bad for what is essentially a customer service adviser" (in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • "The senior management are listening now - and I think have been doing well with taking things on board" (in 77 reviews)

• "And no one can say they have job security for life" (in 26 reviews)

"Stop your whining, slackers!"

I have been working at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are amazing. I've worked in places where you get far less.
    Pension - they will pay up to 12% with you contributing nothing. They'll also match up to 3% of what you add.
    Holidays - you can buy up to 10 extra days
    Private health insurance (BUPA)
    Critical illness cover
    Dependents pension
    Income protection
    Along with all the basics like childcare vouchers, cycle to work, dental & travel insurance and computer purchase scheme. Yet the entitled, bratty people at the FOS think its rubbish and take it for granted.... wake up little darlings and await your rude awakening into the real world. Oh, that's right - you're too lazy and whingey to go elsewhere as you know you'll be managed and will actually have to do some work - you know, what you get paid to do - it's not a social club!!

There's 2 cafes on site that serve great food with a really varied menu. You won't pay more than a couple of quid for a decent meal.

Massages and reflexology on site. Also, a free gym onsite with classes and health MOTs.

Each floor has free tea and coffee and the spoilt little darlings also have cleaners that wash up after them. I mean, the lazy people don't even have to wash their own mugs or plates etc. It's like mummy is at work with them!!

As you can probably tell, I get very angry when I see the bad reviews that have nothing good to say.

People do not realise or appreciate how good they've got it.

Cons

The flexible working options could be better like having compressed hours, 9 day fortnight and more home working.

More trust given to people to have autonomy to make decisions without having to jump through hoops.

More experienced exec team with external experience. I would like to see more leadership and for the exec and senior managers to be more inspirational and motivating.

Weak managers with no follow through to manage people correctly.

Advice to Management

Take more risks, manage the poor performers out. They're dragging down the rest of us that want to get on.

There's been little or no turnover G4 or above for a long time. That's not healthy so maybe it's time to shake things up and bring people on board who have more commercial experience.

"Used to be good"

I have been working at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time

Pros

Used to be a good place to start your career in financial services.

Cons

Too many cliques and senior management not having a clear strategy or understanding of the impartial role FOS should have.

"Transition now in meltdown"

Current Employee - Adjudicator in London, England

I have been working at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great colleagues - fair benefits

Cons

This area supports the new model until it finally finds its feet. The divisional heads of this area are running the staff into the ground. Platitudes around mental health exist alongside obsessive target objectives - and performance plans.

Anyone managed out will be successful at tribunal - half the people in this area are on 'plans' and stressed because of the management. People of 10 years experience don't suddenly become incapable - there is a wider issue which will come out when FOS are taken to the courts again.

Advice to Management

Some divisional managers need to reflect on their behaviour.

Senior management - you need to look at this area.

"Everything is not fine in fact it is horrible"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Financial Ombudsman Service (More than a year)

Pros

Reasonable staff benefits a gym, canteens and ok pension

Cons

They are a con. Some questionable ethics in senior management and HR who stick together in cliques, promote or cover up inability and unfairness or their friends wrong doing. These people would not be employed or their actions tolerated in a proper organisation .Turnover is high and good people dont stay and if your face doesnt fit then forget any career here.
     TOXIC environment. Shabby and shamefull and laughable but it's not funny when real people with potential real life changing problems are ignored by this appalling excuse for a responsible public facing organisation. Stop churning out the same old rubbish and excuses. HR should know better and demonstrate some integrity. Pathetic.

Advice to Management

A lie detector should be fitted when you next appear before any scrutiny committee. Go on if you think you will pass what have you got to hide?

"It's good, very good."

Current Employee - Investigator in London, England

I have been working at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people, the building, the gym, the cafes. The location. It is a lovely place to work. And the best part about it is the people. Out of the hundreds of people I've met over the last two years only a couple have been (presuming checking here) less than decent. That's very good going. I worked in a government department for four years. And forget what you might think about cushy government jobs, it was savage. But here almost everyone is nice.

Cons

70 30 is a good thing, apparently. I haven't seen it. I spend most of my day taking calls I can't take as a case, and the ones I can, I'm too busy for. I suppose the point is I want to help people not signpost them to a queue.

Advice to Management

We need to get better at sorting out who does what. Why am I taking calls I can't deal with? I'm starting to see why we had a CCD. Plus, isn't customer help now doing all post, like CCD did. So please please please can't we have a dedicated area to also take calls. Please. Please. If we did I could concentrate on cases. And actually solve 'problems' rather than do admin all the time. It would cheer me up I promise.

"No one is listening and nothing is changing"

I have been working at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time

Pros

There sadly aren’t many anymore.

Cons

Oh dear lord where do I start. I cannot hold off writing this anymore , I’m so angry and disappointed with the place. I keep giving feedback through the proper channels but nothing is being done about t . I try to do a good job but management are still control freaks, micro managing us, focusing on the small details not the big picture , think that they are right and we are wrong and too busy patting each other on the back for doing not much of anything. I don’t think the exec read glass door reviews , they think they are made up most of the time. The problem is that they aren’t made up - apart from people being a bit clever with their big words and terrible analogies everything is spot on. The main cause of the problems we have is that people who don’t know what they are doing have been overly promoted and it’s the blind leading the blind. Anyone with external experience and good ideas is pushed to the side and not given any autonomy . We could be writing a sitcom to rival W1A with the ridiculous scenarios we have internally . There’s all these policies and rules about giving constructive feedback and managing performance but no one is taking it seriously because no one at the top is being performance managed !!! No one is held to account for anything, it doesn’t matter if deadlines are missed or targets aren’t met - we will just throw money at it.
    I am writing this mainly to get it off my chest. Nothing will happen as a result. I don’t recommend people join the place if you want autonomy, challenge, accountability,to build a career.

Advice to Management

There’s not much point saying this because no one listens. If the CEO doesn’t go then nothing is going to change. Some of the people at the top need to look at themselves and ask what they are doing to support their staff provide a good service to customers, and to allow people to shine in their jobs. They are so focused on saving their bacon by just talking and not making any decisions.

"Adjudicator"

Former Employee - PPI Adjudicator in London, England
    Former Employee - PPI Adjudicator in London, England

I worked at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very generous benefit
    Flexi time

Cons

I have never been in an organization where there has been so much micromanagement and such little faith in employees. It was a toxic environment working as an adjudicator in PPI. I recall one occasion where adudicators had to get their questions for senior staff visiting the nect day vetted by managers!! That's reminiscent of my primary school days. Bullying by management is also pervasive - as was reflected in the employee survey where 15% of the org considered they were bullied in the workplace. Got instance, certain managers in the Y900 division would class very trivial issues as a 'risk and impact ' in quality checks and get people in a PIP where it's completely unwarranted.

"they dont listen"

Current Employee - Adjudicator in London, England

Pros

benefits and flexi time is good

Cons

no direction for the organisation and little room for growth.

Advice to Management

get new management

"Please do the right thing"

Current Employee - Investigator in London, England

I have been working at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gym, good colleagues, reasonable benefits and improved pay scales

Cons

The least human HR team in the world, most exec members clueless on business, ops and strategy, managers pretending to be ombudsmen (ye gods, would you want a goon judging your case in court?) and ombudsmen struggling to be managers and still deliver technical decisions in a timely manner, PHONE SHIFTS!!!

Advice to Management

The new sickness policy is a joke that’s just not funny. Chucking staff with chronic conditions and those struggling with health problems exacerbated by organisational change onto attendance plans requiring 100% attendance for 12 weeks is not right. It’s worse than not right. Especially when the consequences are a formal warning and dismissal. This is the sort of schtik the DWP pulls with Universal Credit. It has no place at the Ombudsman Service. Whatever happened to doing the right thing and treating people fairly?

For the love of everything, stop this nonsense. It’s only going to make the problem you’re trying to fix worse as absence increases, staff leave, are dismissed, and file employment tribunal claims.

"going down hill"

Pros

good balance
    the people
    on site gym

Cons

managers don't know what they're doing
    crazy head of case works
    the values are great in themselves - it's just a shame noone follows them.