Financial Ombudsman Service Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

2.0
Caroline Wayman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Relatively good work/life balance" (in 54 reviews)

• "Nice people and offices, good benefits and overall the pay isn’t bad for what is essentially a customer service adviser" (in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • "The senior management are listening now - and I think have been doing well with taking things on board" (in 74 reviews)

• "And no one can say they have job security for life" (in 26 reviews)

"Stop your whining, slackers!"

I have been working at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are amazing. I've worked in places where you get far less.
    Pension - they will pay up to 12% with you contributing nothing. They'll also match up to 3% of what you add.
    Holidays - you can buy up to 10 extra days
    Private health insurance (BUPA)
    Critical illness cover
    Dependents pension
    Income protection
    Along with all the basics like childcare vouchers, cycle to work, dental & travel insurance and computer purchase scheme. Yet the entitled, bratty people at the FOS think its rubbish and take it for granted.... wake up little darlings and await your rude awakening into the real world. Oh, that's right - you're too lazy and whingey to go elsewhere as you know you'll be managed and will actually have to do some work - you know, what you get paid to do - it's not a social club!!

There's 2 cafes on site that serve great food with a really varied menu. You won't pay more than a couple of quid for a decent meal.

Massages and reflexology on site. Also, a free gym onsite with classes and health MOTs.

Each floor has free tea and coffee and the spoilt little darlings also have cleaners that wash up after them. I mean, the lazy people don't even have to wash their own mugs or plates etc. It's like mummy is at work with them!!

As you can probably tell, I get very angry when I see the bad reviews that have nothing good to say.

People do not realise or appreciate how good they've got it.

Cons

The flexible working options could be better like having compressed hours, 9 day fortnight and more home working.

More trust given to people to have autonomy to make decisions without having to jump through hoops.

More experienced exec team with external experience. I would like to see more leadership and for the exec and senior managers to be more inspirational and motivating.

Weak managers with no follow through to manage people correctly.

Advice to Management

Take more risks, manage the poor performers out. They're dragging down the rest of us that want to get on.

There's been little or no turnover G4 or above for a long time. That's not healthy so maybe it's time to shake things up and bring people on board who have more commercial experience.

"It's good, very good."

Current Employee - Investigator in London, England
    Current Employee - Investigator in London, England

I have been working at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people, the building, the gym, the cafes. The location. It is a lovely place to work. And the best part about it is the people. Out of the hundreds of people I've met over the last two years only a couple have been (presuming checking here) less than decent. That's very good going. I worked in a government department for four years. And forget what you might think about cushy government jobs, it was savage. But here almost everyone is nice.

Cons

70 30 is a good thing, apparently. I haven't seen it. I spend most of my day taking calls I can't take as a case, and the ones I can, I'm too busy for. I suppose the point is I want to help people not signpost them to a queue.

Advice to Management

We need to get better at sorting out who does what. Why am I taking calls I can't deal with? I'm starting to see why we had a CCD. Plus, isn't customer help now doing all post, like CCD did. So please please please can't we have a dedicated area to also take calls. Please. Please. If we did I could concentrate on cases. And actually solve 'problems' rather than do admin all the time. It would cheer me up I promise.

"The New Sickness Policy - all staff read urgently!"

Current Employee - Adjudicator in Coventry, England
    Current Employee - Adjudicator in Coventry, England

I have been working at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Much good stuff - all covered.

Cons

The new sickess policy needs to be looked at carefully. Potentiallly 15% of FOS could be thrown under a bus this year. This policy is designed to get rid of staff suffering stress caused by the FOS. Not what Richard Lloyd was suggesting when he commented on stress levels, I think.

Advice to Management

The CEO still needs to go. Has not learned enough from her mistakes.

"Emotionally, mentally and physically draining - proved a career set-back"

Pros

Sadly, very little unless a ‘reasonable’ pension (as should be provided by any ‘decent’ employer..?), over your career, happiness and your well-being is your career/personal priority?

Cons

If you’ve passion, drive - a desire to make a real difference with a can-do, strategic mindset - and if you want to work here...prepare to be handcuffed to a culture that is petty minded, unnecessarily chaotic and demoralising; narcissistic, completely without ethics and totally lacking in self-awareness and ambition.

Sure CW maybe ‘nice’ but it’s LEADERSHIP that’s needed.

Advice to Management

Get strategic - ET: this isn’t about what YOU you want - it should about making sure FOS is sustainable (beyond your tenure!) and being an innovative, leading-edge role model. This won’t happen with the current leadership crew... a change in ET and G5s - root and branch is needed.

"Dont't wast =e your time getting caught up here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

Pros

Colleagues are nice and work life is fairly relaxed. Possibly too relaxed though, which in the long run is bad for your own career prospects.

Cons

Senior management don't know what they're doing and they don't care about the workers. All they care about it making themselves look good. What a shambles.

Advice to Management

Step down.

"DON'T BOTHER!!"

Former Employee - Adjudicator in Coventry, England
    Former Employee - Adjudicator in Coventry, England

I worked at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The wage of being a contractor for £200 a day

Cons

Where do I START??
    Nobody has a clue what they are doing there, they have a bunch of trainers from London who think they are the bees knees , and think they are untouchable.. they provide 2 week training which they think is good enough, and yet there is so much to cover!
    Your constantly stressed out trying to pass cases, and there is not enough support at all, in order to ask a question you need to submit a template with your question and wait around for a phone call to answer your question!
    There is also tension between the permanent staff/ trainers and contractors (US), they simply will make things difficult for you, and have no time for you... may be down to simply because you are getting paid more than them...
    The managers also sit pretty, and just get paid for doing a few emails, and monitoring you, and ready to sack you when you fail more than 3 cases...
    Im not shocked that they also featured in the dispatches programme, the way they run things is a joke... so dont even allow the wage to appeal to you, because you will feel drained at the end of it, no support and each day feeling on egg shells!!!

Advice to Management

Management, need to wake up, and come up with a strategy, or at-least a better support system for the staff and guidance.

"Escaped"

I worked at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People, benefits, bupa, canteen, gym

Cons

Feel so much better. Health, energy, sleep . Glad to have survived and escaped

"Disappointing"

Current Employee - Manager (Customer Help) in London, England
    Current Employee - Manager (Customer Help) in London, England

Pros

Great benefits package
    TM level management & 1 level above.

Cons

Poor salary
    Senior management - focus far too much on soft sided management & being part of stonewall
    You do not come to work to work anymore, if its not a diversity questionnaire its a huddle or a pointless meeting
    Whenever you want to make a change for the better you're hit with constant blockers.
    HR - no longer support management of sickness, disciplinary procedures or interviews. What is the point in them here? Other than filling out your reference request when you eventually manage to leave.
    Recruitment - FOS hired a recruitment company specialising in BAME recruitment at senior level to source exec members for FOS. This is a joke it should never come down to what your background is to help you get a senior level position, unfortunately FOS has fallen into the trap of following the industry rather than purely focussing on who is best for the job.
    New jobs will laugh at you and throw your CV out the door due to the reputation the FOS has.

Advice to Management

Focus on running a business, how can we call ourselves successful when we lose money every year. The PPI pot of cash is running out.

New model does not work, you cannot pass a view on a credit card complaint and then a complex investment scheme. WE NEED SPECIAILIST AREAS.

Review salaries of support areas, how can TM's in casework who manage productivity, quality and staff wellbeing be paid more than TM's managing that projects, queues, security incidents & more?

Bring in senior management from a company that makes money, they can show you that home-grown senior management is not always the right thing. They will identify your flaws, business flaws and how we are running so inefficiently.

"Work for another organisation"

Pros

Overall the organisation promotes fairness, flexible working and career development. However this depends on your manager specifically - management are not consistent in their approach. If your manager doesn't like you then your career is over.

The people make the organisation great - you will find that your peers are helpful and supportive. This is needed as training valuable or helpful.

Cons

Leaders do not plan for the future and do not take on feedback.

Senior leadership does not represent multi-cultual society that we live in. Promotion and development mostly based on whether you are liked and given a "tap on the shoulder".

Advice to Management

Value your people, listen to your people, listen to feedback and plan for the future effectively.

"recruitment needs to be improved"

I have been working at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time

Pros

good colleagues, manageable workload, great location/facilities

Cons

recent senior hires are not fit for role

Advice to Management

eg one has the class of Kat Slater (Eastenders), the tact of Alf Garnet and the intelligence of Bennie from Crossroads. This person's approach and ideas will decimate the good will at the service. Subtle as a sledgehammer. Trying to impose council values and stir up equality agenda where there's never been a problem at the service won't cut it. And please learn basic English grammar. My prediction is that attrition will rise on the back of such ill judged hires.