Financial Ombudsman Service Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Financial Ombudsman Service Reviews

Updated 3 Dec 2019

2.1
Financial Ombudsman Service CEO  Caroline Wayman  (no image)
Caroline Wayman
Pros
Cons
  • "Senior management constantly trying to reinvent the wheel(in 84 reviews)

• "Team leaders can essentially do what they want with no repercussions but place ridiculous restrictions on adjudicators(in 78 reviews)

"Ok"

Former Employee - Senior Adjudicator

I worked at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good promotion of diversity with in the organisation.

Cons

Low morale workforce. Underappreciated staff.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employee representatives.

Financial Ombudsman Service2019-10-11

"Time for the Phoenix to combust...."

Current Employee - Ombudsman Manager

I have been working at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time

Pros

There are a huge amount of positive things about working at FOS. I've chosen to stay for the culture; the people; the variety of work; the job satisfaction; the challenges; the work/life balance, and so on. But my review today is with the sole purpose of highlighting one huge con.

Cons

Phoenix. Phoenix, the new operating system that has been years in the making, is simply ruining any enjoyment anyone (who works live cases) had for their job. It was delayed repeatedly because it wasn't fit for purpose. And I just don't think it's fit for purpose now. Taking aside those that have been tasked with Phoenix propaganda, you'd be hard pushed to find someone who thinks their working life has been... improved by its arrival. Businesses are finding us to be slower (and are actually asking us if we're alright); consumers are telling us they don't have time to set up cases because it takes so long; our investigators are doing anything they can to avoid having to set up new cases; people are refusing overtime that involves Phoenix because it's just too painful to contend with. It's hugely counterintuitive and we're going to miss really important things; like spotting when something has gone wrong on a case. We're also seemingly sending emails into a black hole. And the issues aren't being publicised because there's only so much negative internal press Phoenix can take. The list goes on and on. There's support, there's training, there are floor-walkers.... everyone is doing their best to force this bird-shaped peg into a Clipper-shaped hole. Our organisation has had an issue with morale... let's not pretend the reviews for the past two years haven't happened. Do you know what would be the biggest morale boost right now? Binning Phoenix. We talk about how it's our prerogative to change our minds right up until a final decision goes out. Well.... no final decision has gone out here. We can unwind this. I really debated whether there was a better forum for voicing this. But, given the amount of money that's been spent, I don't think the organisation would take too kindly to little old me voicing my opinions in a polite email. If there are benefits that I haven't seen yet, fine. I'll keep trying to use it anyway and maybe they'll one day become apparent. But your best people aren't happy. The most positive and hardworking investigators aren't happy. The money has been spent but don't make it cost even more by losing them.

Advice to Management

Just in case it wasn't clear from what I've said above, bring back Clipper. It wasn't perfect but we all found our own ways to use it. Don't take my word for it.. put it to a vote.

Financial Ombudsman Service2019-08-04

"racism is rife and not much place for progression"

Current Employee - Investigator in London, England

I have been working at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

i'll let you know if i remember any

Cons

when you raise issues regarding racism at this organisation, it seems to be taken as a blaze topic.

Advice to Management

quit being racist some managers are stern as victorians, it doesn't fit ethos of company some pods are consisting only of women managers, where are the men? the leaders are totally unapproachable, they sit next to you and wont even say good morning

Financial Ombudsman Service2019-12-03
  4. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Ombudsman Manager in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lovely people, offices , and good benefits. Not a long hours culture.

Cons

Constant change, but some things (e.g. the proposed re-evaluation of how people will be targeted) never seem to happen.

Advice to Management

There is constant change - policies, IT systems, branding. A breathing space would be nice. There's limited internal progression. Sharp elbows needed!

Financial Ombudsman Service2019-11-13
  5. "Good perks"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible, nice people, good location, close to DLR station

Cons

A lot of office politics, not the most professional environment to work in

Financial Ombudsman Service2019-11-06

"Decent"

Current Employee - Investigator in London, England

I have been working at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time for less than a year

Pros

- the people - benefits - flexi hours

Cons

- poor systems - very backwards when it comes to technology - poor targets - very robotic work - rude consumers and no support

Advice to Management

Actually listen to staff, don’t just acknowledge their issues. If there is a clear concern preventing people from reaching the organisations targets be proactive in your approach to dealing with it. Feedback really falls on deaf ears. Employ OMs who actually know how to do their job.

Financial Ombudsman Service2019-11-17

"Don't work there!"

Former Employee - Policy and Communications Advisior in London, England

I worked at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Some nice people there at least!

Cons

Awful managers who have no idea how to manage anyone but are allowed to get away with it. There are loads of these in the Stakeholder Team and one is really cold as ICE!.

Advice to Management

Firing all the current managers. Treat non managers with the respect they deserve. Don't hire managers with no management background!

Financial Ombudsman Service2019-12-01
  8. "Review"

Current Employee - Investigator

Pros

Good company to work for

Cons

Low paid job at the company

Financial Ombudsman Service2019-10-31

"Unbelievably unrealistic targets"

Adjudicator

I have been working at Financial Ombudsman Service

Pros

Nice building. Some good facilities, such as cafe and gym.

Cons

Phoenix is not fit for purpose and causes additional stress. Targets are very unrealistic. Senior management don't care how many hours you put in to meet targets.

Advice to Management

Bin Phoenix and introduce realistic targets.

Financial Ombudsman Service2019-11-27

"avoid"

Former Employee - Adjudicator in London, England

I worked at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

None - you have to even "fight" for a work-desk every morning. If you are late, you have to spend half an hour looking for a desk - sometimes in a different floor from where your team sits because the organisation operates on 'hot-desking'

Cons

Really poor management, team leaders on micromanaging power trips, no reasonable adjustments implemented for people with additional needs even though they advertise themselves as being disability positive. The inconsistency across teams is ridiculous. Team leaders can essentially do what they want with no repercussions but place ridiculous restrictions on adjudicators. Expect horrendous double standards and targets... that will drive anyone to breaking point. The goalposts and processes are constantly being moved. You will never be doing well enough, there is always something for a manager to tell you you're doing wrong no matter how much stress you're under. If you want any adjustments put in place, good luck with it....flexible working is only flexible if your team leader feels like letting you do it - I am surprised by some comments here that flexible working is a 'perk' - I was never allowed this facility. This being the reason i was forced to leave. HR are particularly incompetent and allow management to do and say some very dodgy things without pulling them up on it. Never seen anything like it. HR function is a complete joke - very inhumane and unsupportive.

Advice to Management

The management has ben hauled up in front of the treasury on more than one occasion; it has received and continues to receive negative comments on Glassdoor; it has been subject of investigation bt Dispatches but nothing has changed. Start taking disabled employees seriously and treating them like people. And take leave into account with timeliness and target adjustment! Going on holiday for 2 weeks is stressful... because of this...you may as well not give annual leave at all!

Financial Ombudsman Service2019-11-19