Hertfordshire County Council Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 5 Aug 2017

3.2

Assistant Programmer Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hertford, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hertfordshire County Council (Hertford, England) in February 2017.

Interview

The interview process took 2 weeks. Was not bad. A panel interviewed me. The online application form was pretty standard then had to submit a personal statement relating to how i met each of the competencies.

Interview Questions

• Very generic interview questions, were competency based and related to the job description   Answer Question

Library Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Welwyn Garden City, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hertfordshire County Council (Welwyn Garden City, England) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied via online application, got an email inviting me for an interview. Was a panel interview with manager of the library and two Hertfordshire librarians, they were friendly and did put me at ease. There were A LOT of questions, an insane amount of questions and interrogation from a panel of 3 just for a 2 day a week part time job as a library assistant. It was overwhelming, as although I has prepared I didn't expect it would be this intense. I answered them all to the best of my ability which I think I did successfully considering I was not expecting this in reflection to the job (you'd think I was going for a job at NASA!). Its obvious they just have the same interview questions for any job within the council which just doesn't work in practice. They also asked the same questions but in different ways so I found I was repeating myself a lot. They also were just reading off a sheet of questions and didn't seem to fully engage with my application. I even asked them a question about how they run a certain part of the library and none of them knew! It was a long and draining interview and in the end they sent me a generic rejection email.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you were the only one working and someone asked you a question you didnt know the answer to?   1 Answer
    • What would you do with your time if the library was quiet ?   2 Answers
    • Give me an example of how you have worked well in a team. Tell me a specific time you worked in a team?   1 Answer

Finance Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stevenage, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Hertfordshire County Council (Stevenage, England) in September 2016.

Interview

You do not submit a CV but submit a personal statement of why you match the job description, and an online form. You are then invited to interview. For some jobs DBS check required. Some interviews at HCC were competency based, but the Finance Assistant role was not. The questions asked were more direct such as what are your skills and experience, what makes a good team, and why are procedures important - rather than asking for examples where you display a certain skill.

Team Manager (Children's Services) Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hertfordshire County Council (London, England) in January 2016.

Interview

Prompt response to my application from the HR team.
    Interviewers were friendly and the process felt calm and reasonably well organised.
    HR team are fantastic, very communicative, helpful and efficient.
    The whole process so far has been far better than other boroughs.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate, but I felt like this would have been an open process should I have tried to.

Commissioning Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stevenage, England

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Hertfordshire County Council (Stevenage, England) in October 2015.

Interview

Shortlisting took a long time, thought I hadn't got an interview.
    Communication about interview and task was poor, took over 3 attempts to be fully informed.
    Interview panel made virtually no attempt to make eye contact. Body language basically said "We've got a shoe in, so we're not interested."
    Questions made little sense, poorly thought out, little in the way of structure. One question was actually three questions in one. Coincidentally, three questions started off the same and were essentially asking for the same information.
    For some insane reason all the panel scribbled furiously throughout the presentation and interview.

Business Support Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stevenage, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Hertfordshire County Council (Stevenage, England) in July 2015.

Interview

I had an hour long interview with two managers, followed by two typing exercise;, writing a letter, and typing some very messy minutes; and an excel exercise where I had to organised some information into a spreadsheet.

During the interview, I was advised that there were two Support Officer roles, within two departments, and I was asked if I would like to be considered for both.

Interview Questions

• How do you manage your workload when you have more than one pressing task to do?   Answer Question

Social Worker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stevenage, England

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Hertfordshire County Council (Stevenage, England) in June 2015.

Interview

Case study and left in a room to complete, this was current and appropriate to the role I was applying for. It was helpful to meet with HR and know about terms etc of the job and what things I could have, such as a lease car. Then the interview panel was two social work managers, who asked appropriate questions regarding my experience and skills and asked for previous case examples.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of an occasion where you have gone above and beyond for a service user   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very prompt, my manager kept me up to date regularly and even though I may not answer her calls due to being at my existing job would leave a message with the information for me to consider before I replied. They were very good with accommodating my requests and negotiating.

Auditor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stevenage, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hertfordshire County Council (Stevenage, England) in September 2013.

Interview

Had to do a written test as well as answer a competency based interview. The written test was a scenario based question about carrying out an internal audit in a public organisation and how I should plan and carry out the process. There was a strict time limit so it was a 'think on your feet' test

Accounts Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at Hertfordshire County Council in April 2012.

Interview

I had an interview with an agency. Then met with the manager. This included a basics maths test then followed with why I would like to work their. Then it was questions like what is your best quality, how well do you work in a team . It was more down to meeting their standard competence questions and getting on with the hiring manager.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.