Kier Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

2.9

Sort:

IT Leader Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Kier Group (London, England) in July 2016.

Interview

Multi-stage, took a while, but thorough. First interview was just the hiring manager but then at second interview I met some other team members, and we got on fine.
    The agency interview was really thorough.
    The Kier interview was more to do with making sure that I'd fit in the company, and I got on really well with the recruiting manager. I still do.

IT Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tempsford, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Kier Group (Tempsford, England) in June 2017.

Interview

They were desperate. Some basic questions asked, everything was non technical, of course you find out why afterwards, didn't bother me as long as it pays. They openly described the team as old and basically they weren't that good which, which is rare to get a manager and recruiter say that considering they are responsible for building that team.

Interview Questions

• Some basic things, non technical.   4 Answers

Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Solihull, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Kier Group (Solihull, England) in August 2016.

Interview

The most awful and bizaare interview. I was barely asked anything, no competency questions asked at all.When I was asked a question my answer clearly wasn't listened to and we then quickly went into another random area not related to the job in any way shape or form Spent most of the interview listening to how busy this person was,own and family health problems, childcare issues with another member of staff and health issues with other members of staff-why do i need to know all of this -is it relevant ?. Illegal questions asked eg "are you married and do you have children?". I was allowed to ask one question at the end even though I did have more ready.I had done extensive research about the company but was not asked "what do you know about us?" which is a pretty common question to be asked by most companies.Left feeling very bewildered. I have not heard anything since so can only assume I didn't get the job.

Interview Questions

• Are you married and do you have children?   1 Answer

Building Surveyor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Maidstone, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Kier Group (Maidstone, England) in January 2016.

Interview

Easy to find a new job. I was surprised I was offered a job so quickly. But I decided to stay with my current employer as I loved the people I work with.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Solihull, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Kier Group (Solihull, England) in December 2017.

Interview

Applied for role of Marketing Manager at Kier, attended first interview where I met the line manager and a colleague, both whom were really friendly and professional. I left the interview feeling positive and keen to progress further with this role. On attending the second interview, I met with the Director and Line Manager, the Director took an aggressive tone in their questioning and clearly did not appreciate that I did not have a similar aggressive attitude within my answer (despite successfully dealing with conflict in the past). I left the interview not keen to progress my application and very sure this would not be the right company for me.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with a member of the on site team who had promised to deliver but had repeatedly failed to meet your deadlines?   Answer Question

Administrative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Kier Group in January 2018.

Interview

The interview was literally half an hour - it was friendly and I was put as ease, however one half hour interview I don't believe is long enough to determine whether you are right for the role or the company is right for you!

Interview Questions

• There really wasn't any specific questions - it was more talking about Kier culture and the role   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Kier Group (London, England) in December 2017.

Interview

The assessment day was at Twickenham rugby stadium and started at 0815. Hotels were reimbursed up to £70 if you lived more than 40 miles away and travel was reimbursed up to £50. At the start of the assessment day, we watched a welcome presentation and were then split into groups. We then completed the various activities on a rotational basis. My group began with the group exercises.

Our first task was to have a discussion between four of us about the current challenges and opportunities facing the construction industry. We had fifteen minutes. When these fifteen minutes were up, we were given the challenge of choosing the three challenges/opportunities we believed to be most important, and to give a short presentation on them. My advice would be to keep an eye on the clock, remind your team of the time constraints, be a good listener and engage in the conversation. Don’t worry too much if you’re nervous presenting after such a short preparation time, I believe these exercises were more assessed on team work.

The second group exercise involved a bag full of coloured tubes of different lengths and a variety of joints to connect them with. The task was based around making a structure out of the equipment to achieve a higher score as possible based on the shapes we could create within the structure. During the first part of the exercise we had fifteen minutes. The second part involved a change of brief (the scoring now varied with the use of colour within the shapes) and we now had five minutes planning time at the start, along with five minutes to count our score afterwards. By the end of the exercise it is clear that the challenge is deliberately very complex for the fifteen minutes allotted time and that the actual score we achieved was of little importance. I think the assessment was based more around how we handled pressure and organised as a team. Have a discussion and make a plan at the start of the session so everyone understands what they are doing before they start building.

After these exercises we had an hour or so for lunch. Some recent graduates will likely be around so take advantage of this time to have a chat with them about the programme. They were all very friendly and helpful.

After lunch we had our interviews. I had two people interview me, someone who was currently on the graduate programme and a more senior engineer. The interview was split into several sections and lasted around 50 minutes. The sections included usual stuff like competency based questions and questions about your motivation, personality and experience. One section of the interview contained more technical questions and was a bit more unexpected. I was asked to pick an area of study I was particularly strong in so they could ask me questions about it. I said stress and structural analysis but they went for more general construction questions. Examples at the end. At the end of the interview you will be given the opportunity to ask some questions. Make sure you have some prepared. The interview on the whole felt fairly informal and chatty so relax, take your time with your answers and be yourself.

After the interview we went to a quiet room and had to complete a 35 minute test. It was similar in nature to most psychometric tests. We were emailed an example question prior to the assessment day so definitely check that out to get an idea of the format. The only advice I have would be to do some practice psychometric tests before you go and to keep an eye on the time as it is quite tight. Most people in my group did not finish every card set, and I only had about one minute to spare by the time I got through them.

The final assessed part of the day was to give a solo presentation. We were emailed the presentation brief before the event; to give a five minute presentation on Kier Group’s core values and how we embody them. The brief did not go into much more detail than that so not a huge amount of direction given, and there was the option to bring in props, handouts or notes. I decided to keep it simple and just talk for five minutes note free. My advice would be to put in a few funny parts to make yourself stand out and seem more confident. This can be a bit daunting but I think it really worked for me. I presented to four people and after I had finished I was asked two questions (see below).

After this we had an end of day presentation and were then sent home a bit before 1630. We were told we would hear back from them within the next two weeks. My assessment day was on a Wednesday and I received a call on Friday evening offering me the job, so very quick response. I’m not a big fan of interviews and assessment days (who is?) but on the whole a relatively pain free experience. The graduates were genuinely lovely and I am very excited to start.

Interview Questions

• Would you put your success in work and education so far more down to effort or ability?   Answer Question
    • Why did you choose Kier?   Answer Question
    • What do you find most motivating in a work environment?   Answer Question
    • Where do you see yourself in five years?   Answer Question
    • What made you decide to be a civil engineer?   Answer Question
    • What would your friends say about you?   Answer Question
    • (Technical question) What would you consider when deciding whether to build a structure using steel or reinforced concrete?   Answer Question
    • (Technical question) How would you go about estimating the weight of the shard?   Answer Question
    • (Technical question) You are designing a five storey building that must support a heavy water tank on its top level. What would you need to consider in your design and construction plan with regards to the water tank?   Answer Question
    • (Presentation question) Which of the core values do you feel resonates most with you?   Answer Question
    • (Presentation question) What part did you find most difficult about preparing for the presentation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Leicester, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Kier Group (Leicester, England) in February 2017.

Interview

Online Application, submit CV and cover letter. Invited to assessment centre where there were group exercises (testing team work interaction), group presentation (focused on client satisfaction), problem-solving test and a panel interview.

Interview Questions

• Largely non-technical, wanted to know what you are like as a person   1 Answer

Negotiation

Could negotiate location

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Kier Group (London, England) in December 2017.

Interview

Applied through their website, submitted application and was invited to their assessment centre in London. The assessment day consisted of group discussion, group exercise, 1hr interview, 50min test and 5min presentation to a panel. Lunch was provided as well as snacks and tea/coffee throughout the day.

Interview Questions

• A mixture of competency and technical questions like why do you want to work here, why civil engineering, questions around temporary works/management and legislation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Kier Group (London, England) in December 2017.

Interview

Relaxed interview, no technical questions, about one hour with two managers
    group discussion (five members) about today's challenges in the construction sector
    group task
    5 mins presentation about Kiers values
    problem-solving test(mathematical test)
    had the chance to meet other graduates

Interview Questions

• -tell us about yourself
      -why kier?
      -strengths/weaknesses
      -a time you worked as part of a team   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.