McColl's Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 17 Feb 2018

1.8

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartlepool, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McColl's (Hartlepool, England) in July 2017.

Interview

overall it was a very nice and had an unprofessional setting so you felt more relaxed, I was first told about the roll I had applied for and then asked me a set of questions. after that I was asked to do a very simple test involving maths, english and customer service questions. He also made me try to sell him a product from the store.
    at the end told me I was one of two people in his 'Yes' pile and then posted the job advert up again the next day.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at McColl's in April 2017.

Interview

Applied via indeed using indeed CV. I was interviewed at a local McColls shop around 10 days after applying. I was given very quick feedback and received an offer on the same day as the interview. Professional process. I wasn't asked many questions, it was more to ascertain if we were a good fit for each other.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Addlestone, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McColl's (Addlestone, England) in February 2017.

Interview

In a shop office, very small uncomfortable and dirty. Area Manager very professional and put you at ease, asked a lot of open questions, why McColls and why retail. Asked about my family, my work life balance. Where do I see myself in 2 years time? Put me through a number of observation and numbers tests. Told me all about the company and how they are looking to progress in the future.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at McColl's in January 2017.

Interview

Introduced each other a little bit, and than explained job description for more than 60 minutes , finally asked me if I have some questions about this job. The examiners are very nice and patience, and talked me a lot.

Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grimsby, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McColl's (Grimsby, England) in October 2016.

Interview

Took them three weeks to invite me for an interview. I attended the interview and the woman interviewing me swore all the way through the interview and was describing what a dangerous place that McColls was to work.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself
      What is your availability.
      Something about how you would handle a difficult customer.   Answer Question

Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Grove, South West England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at McColl's (Grove, South West England, England) in October 2016.

Interview

Was very casual - not actually asked any questions, just explained the hours, which turned out to be totally wrong and I was 'adjusted' accordingly to sales assistant later down the line when there were staff complications
    Was refreshing for it to be relaxed but this later reflected the actual running of the store

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at McColl's (Bristol, England) in April 2016.

Interview

hand in cv , get a phone call 6 days later from Store Manager to complete their standard application form , watch company video and compete quiz based on video . Produce Passport and Utility Bill as ID

Interview Questions

• Ages for buying Lottery ticket / alcohol / cigarettes / matches   2 Answers

Relief Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leicester, England

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at McColl's (Leicester, England) in February 2016.

Interview

Area Manager seemed to have already decided to hire me and spent most of the time telling me about what the job would involve. The interview was formal but relaxed, and lasted about twenty minutes. The worst thing was I didn't get offered the interview until about ten weeks after applying. The offer was confirmed by email two days after the interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

All salaries in the company below Area Manager level are non-negotiable.

Part-time Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redhill, South East England, England

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at McColl's (Redhill, South East England, England) in December 2015.

Interview

Submitted a written application form to the manager of the branch and got invited for an interview a week later. Did an interview and then a simple English/Math questionnaire and passed with flying colors! I got offered the job on the spot and did my training on the till and learnt about how the shop was run and what my responsibilities were and how many hours I would be given starting out, which was only 8 hours a week at the time but then increased to 19.5 hours a week.

Deputy Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McColl's.

Interview

Really rushed and pretending of the fact that you'll be a deputy manager and on the road to management however their is no staff to manage and it is just a way to lure people in when actually you're only paid minimum wage and have to do everything and more than what the manager does, especially in my stores case.

Interview Questions

• are you desperate for work. (not in these words but the basis of the questions was such)   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.