Ocado Technology Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Interviews at Ocado Technology

3.1

1. Featured Interview

Team Leader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wrocław (Poland)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ocado Technology (Wrocław (Poland)) in April 2019.

Interview

The interview was divided for three stages. First I had possibility to talk with recruiter on the phone screen. She has given me a lot of the answers to most of my questions.

Then there was a first stage of actual interview divided in couple of sessions which gave myself opportunity to meet people at Ocado and ask my questions as well. All the sessions has been conducted in friendly and open atmosphere. I've been charmed by the working culture and people who had chance to talk to.

Next stage was based on presentation from my side to potential coworkers in the form of Team Interview. There were various questions about my preferred approach to solving the issues in team as well as my preferred leadership style. It's unique opportunity that Ocado gives to get know each-other before joining the team.

Interview Questions

• How will you approach conflict resolution?   1 Answer

Ocado Technology Response

12 Sep 2019 – Social Media and Content Lead

Thanks for the review, we're pleased to read that you enjoyed meeting the team and learning about the culture. We're glad to see you accepted the offer!

Tech Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Ocado Technology (Washington, DC (US)) in September 2019.

Interview

Pretty casual, straightforward .
    Called in on a fine morning, very laid back process
    Couple of people on the Interview panel
    Had a skill test before the interview, spent another 30 minutes talking to them.
    Overall, a very pleasant experience

Head of Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ocado Technology.

Interview

I was sent an email to schedule a short phone call.
    The recruiter didn't call. Then she told me she had an emergency.
    We had a follow-up call. The recruiter told me that she's going to schedule an onsite interview for the next week. This didn't happen.
    Two weeks late the recruiter told me apologizing for that and telling me that they are having another candidate, but they are interested in inviting me to an interview. 3/4 weeks later they are still interested :) however, I already got 3 competitive offers from others...

Technical Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vaughan, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Ocado Technology (Vaughan, ON (Canada)) in February 2020.

Interview

Very time consuming process.
    3 round of interview HR, Skype and in person.

2 weeks after every interview
    The manager was not ready for the in person interview . Didn't have much about about my resume as well as my background.

Full Stack Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Ocado Technology in December 2019.

Interview

Firstly I got invited to by recruiter to share my availability on calendar. He responded that he couldn't set up an online meeting so I asked him for his phone number to set it up quickly over the phone. Silence for couple weeks. Than he sends me invitation again, so I share my again and he manages to set up session with hiring staff. 2 people asked me to solve quite simple task on codility. After that I got invitation to travel to company's headquarters in Hatfield for all day interview session however they refused to reimburse any travel / accommodation expenses. In response I suggested to have part of this all-day interview done online. So we had another codility session, this time with a team leader and one developer. After that they invited me for cultural meeting in Hatfield with some technical part. I shared possible dates when I can fly to UK but there was no response from recruiter. After 2 weeks he wrote me that they found somebody else. Thanks God I didn't agree at the first time otherwise I would loose money on top of the wasted time.

Interview Questions

• codility test in basic Python.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Ocado Technology.

Interview

After sending CV, I got invited for an online coding test. 2 questions were fairly easy, 3rd one was harder but I had 2h to complete it.

Later I got invited to an assessment centre. I got 2 tests in the morning, if you don't hit the pass mark you might be sent home early. The first one was a Java test. If you know syntax of the language and basics of DS/Algo you will be fine. The second one was logic-based.
    Pro tip: IF YOU FINISH EARLY, CHECK YOUR ANSWERS. I found about 10 stupid mistakes that could lose me plenty of marks. I remember people finishing early and staring at the ceiling for 30-60 minutes. When I spoke to them, all of them were confident about their performance. They got sent home.

Later I had two rounds of interviews - one with engineers, one with the hiring manager. The first interview was difficult, we were going very deep into multiple topics and I got asked many questions I had no clue about.

The interview with the manager was stress-free and focused on my motivation. Standard behavioural questions.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Process:
    1.Paired Programming- telephonic
    2.F2F Paired Programming
    3.F2F interview technical
    4. Cultural Fit

Got a call through Ocado Technologies own recruiter who was really helpful. Cleared the first telephonic Paired programming which was conducted by two software developers of Ocado technology and got call for the next onsite assessment and again got to do the paired programming with same developers. I am given to resolve an HTML fix and a logical program , though the exercises were simple but it was hard for me to think of the logic when someone else is sitting next to me and working along and I did not like that paired programming process in the interview at all, as a result in the second step I could not perform well though it was a simple , I became conscious and it made me nervous, but still they continued other rounds till the end, so I thought they might take the selection decision depending upon my overall experience, when I have got the feedback next day I heard I got rejected unfortunately because of paired programming performance, though my other rounds went well.My question is if it is only about the coding exercise why did they continue the next rounds - technical and cultural. It must be stopped right there. I have resolved so many hacker Rank challenges, collected certificates from other coding sites and developed my own project as well and I was judged within 1 hour, with a logical test and one HTML syntax, I have given so many interviews in my career I was been asked questions from hard level, given to resolve the coding challenges but never given to resolve HTML code, I felt really wired. Thank god I was not selected there I know something much better is waiting for me.

Interview Questions

• F2F -questions about Stack, Queue and other collections, about project, security, Heap , Stack.   1 Answer

Java Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sofia (Bulgaria)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ocado Technology (Sofia (Bulgaria)) in November 2019.

Interview

First was a phone call with the HR team (30 minutes), just to describe the 3 phases of the interview process. First interview was a logic test - 13 questions (1 hour) in a made up language and then a code review sheet to evaluate (15 min) - all writen. Passed it.

Second stage is a face-to-face interview with 2 developers in the company. 1 from the team I applied for, the second from another team. Talked about my previous projects, CV, 3 questions about Java: HashTables, Multi-Threading and atomic operations, Solve a generic whiteboard problem (find the pairs of intergers that make up a given number).

Didn't make it to stage 3, unfortunately. Everyone I met was very positive though.

Interview Questions

• What are atomic operations in Java?   1 Answer

Java Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Ocado Technology in October 2019.

Interview

An Online Code Test with two questions(An hour limited).During this code test,you would write the code with two programmers in Ocado. You can discuss the questions with them.Very good experience with this interview.

Android Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Barcelona (Spain)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ocado Technology (Barcelona (Spain)) in October 2019.

Interview

The interview process has 5 phases.
    1. Interview with Recruiter
    2. Test challenge to do at home
    3. Review of the code
    4. Soft Skills Interview
    5. Pair programming test
    6. Behavioural interview

They were very nice in the entire process, the guidance of the all of it was clear and everyone involved was a great profesional. It looks such a nice company to work for.

Interview Questions

• Code challenge, patterns of Android, best practises, how would you act in some situations, etc.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Barcelona (Spain)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Ocado Technology (Barcelona (Spain)).

Interview

I've been contacted by a recruiter.
    I have interchanged few email with the recruiter and the Customer.
    The customer sent me an invitation for a codility tech test.
    I read that lot of peolple says that the hiring process is long and implies several steps so I declined the invitation.

Interview Questions

• Did the recruiter/Customer told you from the very first time that the process will be long?   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.