Royal Mail Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Royal Mail Interview Questions

Updated 22 Jun 2018

2.3

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Royal Mail in March 2018.

Interview

Complete online application including work history, education and experience.
    Complete 2 assessments - an accuracy/ information check assessment and what information is most/least like you.
    The whole process to interview took around 3 weeks.
    Turned up for the interview at 10.45 to be seen at 11am. I was taken to their break room by an employee and was advised the manager would be with me ASAP.
    The interviewer was running late so I took the time to read the information about the company on my phone and read some of the statistics on their annual charter before I was seen.
    The hiring manager apologised and welcomed me into an office space to complete the interview.
    He was really welcoming and friendly- quickly putting me at ease and explaining the interview process and that he expected it would take around 40 mins.
    He advised he would ask 6 situational questions - ‘tell me a time when...’ and then a further 6 questions about the role itself.
    The situational questions were pretty straight forward and I was able to give some detailed answers (I would recommend the STAR technique here).
    He then moved on to asking me about the role itself, which was very straightforward too.
    As the position was for a contracted period of 6 months he expanded to say he would hope it would become permanent at the end of 6 months but he was looking for someone that would be motivated and willing to uptake additional hours and work extra days when required and that if I were successful he would be looking for someone to start as quick as possible.
    He ended the session telling me more about the role, the training I would receive and asking me if I had any further questions. Overall, it was a very positive experience and everyone I came into contact with was very friendly and welcoming.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you worked as part of a team to complete an important task?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time where you dealt with a difficult customer?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you found yourself in a stressful situation and how you dealt with that stress to complete the task at hand?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you worked in an area where health and safety was paramount and what steps you took to ensure your own safety?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time where you recognised a problem at work and how you dealt with that?   Answer Question
    • What checks would you do on your vehicle prior to starting your shift?   Answer Question
    • Would you be willing to uptake additional hours?   Answer Question
    • Do you have any restrictions in regards to driving, I.e points on license?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for Royal Mail?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time where you improved efficiency in the work place by implementing a new process?   Answer Question

Delivery and Driving Interview

Anonymous Employee in Southend-on-Sea, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Royal Mail (Southend-on-Sea, England) in June 2018.

Interview

Very professional but made me feel comfortable and at ease. The questions are mainly focused on how well you cope with change and stressful situations, it is best to prepare your answers and be confident saying them.

Interview Questions

• When was a time you was faced with a difficult situation and how did you manage it?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Royal Mail.

Interview

Easy initial online interview then progressed to the face to face interview... all very relaxed and people I came by absolutely lovely! Found out I had passed the interview about a week later and progressed onto the security checks... 10 working days later (yesterday) I found out that I’d passed and going onto my induction a week on Friday and my start date the day after! Very good experience, just need to be patient as the checks take a while

Interview Questions

• Why Royal Mail?   Answer Question
    • Checks on vehicle before going out on your round   Answer Question
    • What hazards could you come across in and outside the work place and how could you stop accidents   Answer Question
    • Outside job, have you ever worked outside before and if not how would it suit you   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Royal Mail in May 2018.

Interview

Interviewer was running late, so we all had to wait an hour two people scheduled before me so was told I could leave and return later, finally in with the manager and interview lasted the full hour, pretty standard interview questions nowadays and he wrote stuffed down and added up points as we went thru.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you have dealt with a difficult customer   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Royal Mail (Edinburgh, Scotland) in May 2018.

Interview

Very informal chat, very friendly managers. They asked for all the documents, then asked me a few question about my CV then we went to questions part 1 and 2. 1 was about what would I do in given situation, 2. was more of what you would be as a postman.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if one of team members struggled with their task?   Answer Question

Postwoman With Driving Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wigan, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Royal Mail (Wigan, England) in April 2018.

Interview

Taken into a room documents checked, then seen by the manager who was conducting the interview. He was really nice and put me at ease. Interview was compromised of 6 competency based questions (examples wanted) and about 7 on the actual job

Interview Questions

• Name a time you have worked in a team   1 Answer
    • Give an example of when you have dealt with a difficult customer   Answer Question
    • Give an example of a stressful situation at work   Answer Question
    • Give an example of when you have implemented something that has made work life easier   Answer Question
    • Give an example of when you have seen and dealt with a health and safety breach at work   Answer Question
    • Give an example of when you had to deal with an unexpected change at work   Answer Question
    • How would you check your van is fit for work   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for royal mail   Answer Question
    • Have you ever had an experience in an active job/ what activities do you do outside of work to keep fit   Answer Question
    • Can you work Saturdays   Answer Question
    • Are you flexible in your work pattern/have you got experience in this   Answer Question
    • What is your current notice period   Answer Question
    • Do you have any holidays booked?   Answer Question
    • Do you have experience of driving a manual vehicle   Answer Question

OPG (Postie) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Royal Mail in April 2018.

Interview

Apply online by attaching CV and answering a few questions. Then complete two online tests. First is personality questions ranking statements in order of importance, second is error checking codes. I was invited to interview after 1 week.
    Interview took 1hr, started by checking documents then some example based questions. Friendly interview with no pressure.

Post Man/Driver Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sheffield, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Royal Mail (Sheffield, England) in April 2018.

Interview

The interview took around 40 minutes to 1 hour. Just 1 individual was interviewing. I hate interviews however the interviewer made me feel very at ease and relaxed. They were friendly and started by looking at my documents and then explain what they would be asking. There was 6 competency questions "give an example" "what would you do?" And then 6 job based questions, "why do you want to work for RM?" ,"what security checks would you need to carry out on the vehical?".

Interview Questions

• Name a time you have dealt with an angry customer?.   Answer Question
    • How would you ensure health and safety is met at all times during work, inside and outside the depot?.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Downpatrick, Northern Ireland

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Royal Mail (Downpatrick, Northern Ireland) in March 2018.

Interview

I applied online and within 24 hours I was sent an email inviting me to do online tests where you have to identify the mistakes in addresses. You have one minute to go through 8 questions and there is around 4/5 sections that get harder as you go along. A week or two later I got an email inviting me to a face to face interview.

Interview Questions

• Can you give us an example where you worked as a team to achieve a goal?   Answer Question
    • Can you give us an example where you thought up a new process that improved work efficiency?   Answer Question
    • Can you give us an example of a time where you dealt with an awkward customer?   Answer Question
    • Can you give us an example of a time you witnessed a health and safety breach at your workplace?   Answer Question
    • Can you give us an example of a time where you were in a stressful situation and how you dealt with it?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for Royal Mail?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Royal Mail (London, England).

Interview

Fill out the online application form and immediately you'll get a email sent back saying you need to complete a online assessment.

Once completed Royal Mail recruitment will let you know if you've got a interview with them by email.if accepted for interview you'll halfto saught out a time.

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.