Sanger Institute Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Sanger Institute Interview Questions

Interviews at Sanger Institute

3.1

Bioinformatician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sanger Institute (New York, NY (US)) in November 2016.

Interview

I received the invitation for a Skype interview a week after the application deadline. The group leader and the principal bioinformatician conducted the interview. They were really nice, and we had an enjoyable talk. They mainly described the projects and Sanger Institute, and asked questions on my background and project-related skills.

Interview Questions

• What I have done so far, do I have the necessary skills and experience for the particular project.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Sanger Institute (Cambridge, England) in February 2020.

Interview

1 hour face to face interview with 3 operation leads. Skill based questions followed with a tour of the laboratory and a surprise lab test. The employers were friendly but questions were very similar.

H R Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Sanger Institute (Cambridge, England).

Interview

Over the phone initial interview, face to face (1:1) for second round. Team were friendly and process was organised and not daunting. Would have been good to meet a wider group of the team in the interview process.

Research Assistant - DNA Pipelines Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hinxton, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Sanger Institute (Hinxton, England) in September 2019.

Interview

Very pleasant experience at the institute, the panel were very reassuring and easy to talk to. The interview consisted of a variety of competency based questions from each panel member following HR related questions. This was followed by a practical assessment in which I had to calculate and perform a few DNA dilutions within a certain time frame, and finally a tour of the laboratory.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you would you be a good candidate for this position?   Answer Question
    • Can you provide an example of when you had to pay close attention to detail?   Answer Question
    • Can you explain what PCR is and how it functions?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saffron Walden, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sanger Institute (Saffron Walden, England) in July 2019.

Interview

I applied for the role of Reseach Assistant in the DNA sequencing department of the Sanger Institute in Cambridge, England. The interview consisted of a 30-40 minute verbal interview with three panelists, followed by a simple, practical exercise involving basic laboratory techniques. I received a rejection several weeks later, though was quite possibly due to my own error. I was too anxious about the interview due to it being my first interview after graduating from university.

Advanced Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hinxton, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sanger Institute (Hinxton, England) in March 2019.

Interview

I received an invitation two weeks before the interview. The interview had a group or panel type (I was interviewed by 3 specialists). At first, I was asked to tell about my experience. And then they asked about my soft skills. The interview lasted 60 minutes. After the interview, I met with the laboratory staff and they gave me a tour of the laboratory. All the staff are very friendly and interesting.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your experience?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about how to interact with colleagues, how did you convey information to colleagues and your manager?   Answer Question
    • How did you report the results of your work?   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hinxton, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Sanger Institute (Hinxton, England) in January 2019.

Interview

I applied online (deadline 3 December). A month later I was invited for a series of interviews at Sanger. I had 3 single interviews with 3 PIs each lasting 30 minutes and one panel interview with 3 PIs that lasts 30 minutes as well. The single interviews depend on the PI, but in general they are about your interviews and credentials and they want to get a sense of what your interests are. The panel interviews goes more deeply into your current or recent research experience and are in general harder than the single interviews.

Interview Questions

• -Tell us about yourself.
      -Why do you you want to do a PhD at Sanger?
      -Tell me about a technology that you think was important in the last 10 years.
      -Tell me about a technology you think will have a strong impact in the next 10 years.
      -What is your background?
      -Tell us about a research paper that you really like and why?
      -Very detailed and specific questions about my latest research experience.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sanger Institute.

Interview

Following my online application, I was called in for interview. There was only one interview where four interviewers interviewed me at the same time. The interview lasted for about 30 - 45 min.

Interview Questions

• Give an overview of your work experience   1 Answer
    • Could you give an example of troubleshooting?   1 Answer

Advanced Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hinxton, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sanger Institute (Hinxton, England) in September 2018.

Interview

I applied online and was invited to interview at the institute with a three member panel, one of which was the group lead for the advertised position. Everyone was very welcoming and the overall experience was very positive. After not receiving an offer, I did ask for feedback and the lead was more than accommodating to respond. Unfortunately they did not believe I had enough experience to work autonomously from day 1, and this is fair because I also agree that I would need some training to undertake the position they advertised. Overall, it was good experience and something that has definitely helped in my future applications.

Interview Questions

• What technical experience do you have that makes you suitable for this role   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time you have troubleshot something in the laboratory   Answer Question
    • What would you say your best and worst experiences have been   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time when you have received criticism of your work   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

Interview

3 individual interviews with prospective PIs and one group interview. Thorough and challenging but interesting. The interviewers definitely test your knowledge and your passion for the subject. Even though the interview process is quite exhausting, it is always conducted with respect and enthusiasm.

Interview Questions

• If you had a large grant and 3 post docs working for you, what dream project would you pursue?   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.