Sanger Institute Interview Questions

Updated Sep 3, 2021

To filter interviews, or .
Found 31 of over 31 interviews

3.1
HardAverageEasy

Interviews for Top Jobs at Sanger Institute

Sanger Institute

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 months. I interviewed at Sanger Institute

Interview

Didn’t even bother to email an outcome let alone call. Asked to prepare 15 minute presentation answering 10 questions. Interviewer turned up 10 minutes late to interview. Hour long interview. Told I would hear after the weekend but nothing at all 2 weeks later. A lot of wasted effort when you can’t even be bothered to contact a candidate with an outcome.

Interview Questions
  • How do you plan a project?
    Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sanger Institute (London, England) in Mar 2021

Interview

It was a virtual interview. three panel members were there. all the questions were relevent to the job. the questions were easily answerable. it was a very nice experience. Now I am working at Sanger institute . It is a very nice place to work.

Interview Questions
  • what was your past experience? Explain about PCR process. LIMS system SOP

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 months. I interviewed at Sanger Institute (Cambridge, England) in Jan 2021

Interview

Applied online in early December. Invited to interview mid January and interviewed a week after invitation online via Zoom. Interview was conducted by a panel of 3 including the recruiting manager, with questions specific to the role as well as a couple of HR-related questions at the end. Received outcome 3 working days after interview. Very prompt and professional communication with recruiting manager and HR.

Interview Questions
  • Tell us about your research experience, and how does this align to the job description?
  • Can you give me an overview of how you would approach and complete "XYZ" process (job role specific question).
  • How do you manage multiple duties and projects?
  • Why are you interested in working at The Wellcome Sanger Institute?
  • How would you troubleshoot a protocol?
  • Give an example of a time when you've dealt with a difficult colleague.
  • How do you handle an experiment failing?
3 people found this interview helpful

Sanger Institute

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sanger Institute

Interview

Simple, clear and thorough with a focus on relevant skills and publication history. HR were helpful if at times a little slow to respond. Recruitment and interview process was reasonably efficient.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Sanger Institute

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 week. I interviewed at Sanger Institute

Interview

Interviewed by the team leader and an employee of the same position. Very friendly and nice. Asked some basic questions about unix command line and python basic concepts. Explain nicely about the term I don't understand.

Interview Questions
  • Any experience of supporting others with some technical issues

Sanger Institute

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sanger Institute

Interview

I had my interview over Zoom with three members of staff. I was required to first give a 10 min presentation on why I was suitable for the role, highlighting my previous research experience (this I prepared in advance). I was then asked a number of questions, some related to the presentation and some competency-based questions. The interviewers were very pleasant and I felt quite at ease. Since I completed the interview not long ago, I am not sure if I have received an offer yet, so I selected "Yes but declined".

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about how you approached an issue in the lab, how receptive the person/people were to you approaching the issue, and what was the consequence of this.
  • What motivates you in a role where you have to do repetitive tasks?
  • What should you bear in mind when designing your own experiments?
  • How do you deal with competing priorities on a daily basis, and what would you do if you made plans but everything went haywire?
  • What did a typical day in the lab look like for you in your past research experience?
  • Tell me about how you set up XYZ experiment in one of your past projects (essentially, explain how the technique works).
  • What would you do if you were working alone (lone working) and e.g. a machine broke, and you couldn't proceed with the experiment?
  • What would you do if you needed help but no one from your lab was around to help you?
  • Why did you apply for the role? What are you hoping to get out of it?
  • How did you plan out your work on a weekly basis in your previous roles?
  • Explain the key techniques in the job description.
3 people found this interview helpful

Sanger Institute

Application

I interviewed at Sanger Institute

Interview

Online interview on Zoom with three panelists and each one asked a couple of questions. There were a couple of HR related questions at the end and a chance to ask them any questions you may have about the role.

Interview Questions
  • Can you explain what PCR is and how it functions? Can you provide an example of when you had to pay close attention to detail? Why do you think you would you be a good candidate for this position? Tell us about a time you work as a team Do you know what LIMS is and how it works How do you ensure that you get the task done as planned
1 person found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Sanger Institute (Cambridge, England) in Feb 2020

Interview

1 hour face to face interview with 3 operation leads. Skill based questions followed with a tour of the laboratory and a surprise lab test. The employers were friendly but questions were very similar.

Interview Questions
1 person found this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Sanger Institute (Cambridge, England)

Interview

Over the phone initial interview, face to face (1:1) for second round. Team were friendly and process was organised and not daunting. Would have been good to meet a wider group of the team in the interview process.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hinxton, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Sanger Institute (Hinxton, England) in Sep 2019

Interview

Very pleasant experience at the institute, the panel were very reassuring and easy to talk to. The interview consisted of a variety of competency based questions from each panel member following HR related questions. This was followed by a practical assessment in which I had to calculate and perform a few DNA dilutions within a certain time frame, and finally a tour of the laboratory.

Interview Questions
  • Why do you think you would you be a good candidate for this position?
  • Can you provide an example of when you had to pay close attention to detail?
  • Can you explain what PCR is and how it functions?
2 people found this interview helpful