Sanger Institute Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Sanger Institute Interview Questions

Interviews at Sanger Institute

3.2

Bioinformatician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sanger Institute (New York, NY (US)) in November 2016.

Interview

I received the invitation for a Skype interview a week after the application deadline. The group leader and the principal bioinformatician conducted the interview. They were really nice, and we had an enjoyable talk. They mainly described the projects and Sanger Institute, and asked questions on my background and project-related skills.

Interview Questions

• What I have done so far, do I have the necessary skills and experience for the particular project.   Answer Question

Computational Biologist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sanger Institute (Cambridge, East of England, England) in April 2017.

Interview

Panel interview with 3 members of staff, individual interview with another, then meeting of the team I would be working with. Panel interview involved 20 minute presentation of my work.

Interview Questions

• What are some challenges you encountered during your work and how did you deal with these?   Answer Question

Placement Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hinxton, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sanger Institute (Hinxton, England) in March 2012.

Interview

Two people interviewed me, both team leaders within the same large research group. We first talked about the nature of the position and my background. They then asked why I had applied and what kind of relevant experience I had to bring to the table. They also asked a few "text book" questions about biochemistry to test my general knowledge of the subject. They then told my that they would contact me and let me know in the near future.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They simply offered me the position with the published salary

Senior Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Sanger Institute (Cambridge, East of England, England) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied weeks before the deadline and received an invitation for an interview only 3 days after the deadline date. I could choose my preferred day and timr for the interview from a good number of available slots, which was very nice. There was a panel of 4 senior staff, including the group leader. I had to give a 10 minute presentation on what I could bring to the position. Then, they interviewed me for around 50 minutes and lastly I was shown around the lab and the rest of the campus

Interview Questions

• What are the main challenges in this field?   Answer Question
    • Can you tell me about a time when someone you taught was not performing as you expected? And how did you face that challenge?   Answer Question
    • Can you tell me about a time you organised a few people to work on the same project?   Answer Question
    • What has been the most challenging time during your PhD?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult co-worker   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England

Application

Interview

The job description had lots of spelling mistakes and the name of the manager was not given, which I felt was a great oversight.

A personality test is used. This is has real value for use in screening out extremes eg narcissistic behaviour and was pleasing to see. For anything more subtle, it was like a horoscope ie true however you filled it in. I filled it in honestly and it came out looking as if the test was unreliable. I imagine it would be easy to look at the job description and fill it in according to the desired traits. The time taken to do the test is given, so if you have lots of interruptions it will look as if you took a long time to complete the test.

The face of the person interviewing me, visibly fell when she saw me. I had brushed and polished myself up, so it was probably my gender or age that was the problem.

i imagine that the job went to an internal candidate. This wasted considerable time and effort on external interviewees' part which was partly made up for by travelling expenses being paid.

Interview Questions

• Many questions about my current position; not many about the position being applied for. This means if you are looking at taking the next step up, there are few opportunities to show you can do the job.   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Sanger Institute.

Interview

I first sent an online application in december and received an invitation for the open day in January. In the open day, there were three interviews. Of these interviewes, two were with individual interviewers and another with a panel interview with three interviewers. I received a rejection a couple days after the interview.

PhD Student Interview

Interview

3 individual interviews with prospective PIs and one group interview. Thorough and challenging but interesting. The interviewers definitely test your knowledge and your passion for the subject. Even though the interview process is quite exhausting, it is always conducted with respect and enthusiasm.

Interview Questions

• If you had a large grant and 3 post docs working for you, what dream project would you pursue?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Hinxton, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sanger Institute (Hinxton, England) in January 2012.

Interview

You are invited for an open day if you are shortlisted. You are chaperoned by a current student and have your interviews spread through the day. You have three one on one interviews with faculty and one panel interview with 3 members of faculty.

Anonymous Employee in Hinxton, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Sanger Institute (Hinxton, England) in January 2019.

Interview

I applied online (deadline 3 December). A month later I was invited for a series of interviews at Sanger. I had 3 single interviews with 3 PIs each lasting 30 minutes and one panel interview with 3 PIs that lasts 30 minutes as well. The single interviews depend on the PI, but in general they are about your interviews and credentials and they want to get a sense of what your interests are. The panel interviews goes more deeply into your current or recent research experience and are in general harder than the single interviews.

Interview Questions

• -Tell us about yourself.
      -Why do you you want to do a PhD at Sanger?
      -Tell me about a technology that you think was important in the last 10 years.
      -Tell me about a technology you think will have a strong impact in the next 10 years.
      -What is your background?
      -Tell us about a research paper that you really like and why?
      -Very detailed and specific questions about my latest research experience.   Answer Question

Corporate Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Sanger Institute (Cambridge, East of England, England) in December 2016.

Interview

Applied online, was sent an advanced interview date, psychometric test and title for presentation. Attended a one hour panel interview with pre-prepared presentation and competency questions. This was followed by a further panel meeting with HR to go through psychometric test. A follow up 2nd interview was then quickly arranged via e:mail the next day, having told me they'd only keep me waiting a few days, they were even more efficient.

Interview Questions

• Typical competency......tell me about a time, or give me an example of - these are based on your psychometric test which guides them where to probe.   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.