SolarCity Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

SolarCity Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at SolarCity

2.7

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SolarCity in January 2017.

Interview

Most unprofessional interview I've ever had at an established company. I had half of my on sites cancelled right before I arrived thus cutting my interview time in half at the last minute with all the senior people off the list of who I was to meet with before even walking in the building. One interviewer was fine and asked a fair question about functional programming that I was able to answer, though ran out of time before finishing the general (nth) case. This interviewer was new to software from a bootcamp and quite young but made the effort to provide a positive experience. The other two interviewers were terrible. The manager I talked to didn't know what team, what position or what project I was interviewing for, didn't really provide information about himself or try to set a positive tone and was not that enthusiastic or friendly about the company. I felt like I was selling myself for the position rather than the standard practice of having the company tell me why I would want to work there. He was also very young and had not been in software more than 3 years so it is possible he was just inexperienced at interviewing or just has an odd personality type. Finally, I had one last technical question from a software engineer. It was a simple question directly from the first chapter of "Cracking the Coding Interview." But, I messed this up somehow since I was thrown off by his demeanor. He came into the room said, "I already read your resume, so no need to talk. Let's just get to the question." Again, no friendliness or any reasons given why I should go work there; I was looking for that since I bring industry experience and knowledge to the table as well as engineering skills so didn't expect to be in such an uneven power differential. Overall, it was not a pleasant experience and I felt like they were just pushing me through or not actually hiring.

Interview Questions

• What is the worst thing your last teammate could say about you?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for SolarCity

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at SolarCity (San Francisco, CA (US)) in December 2016.

Interview

A very time consuming and frustrating process. Completed five technical interviews over video conference, and was invited into the office several weeks later. The person I was supposed to meet with was not there. Interviewed with two other people. Was contacted by hiring manager over the next few weeks, who gave me positive feedback but said they were still interviewing candidates. Finally received an automatically generated form email declining my application, which said they went with another candidate. Two month process. Wrote to hiring manager just to say thanks for the opportunity and to keep me in mind if anything else opened up. He responded three weeks later saying thanks and that he would, but then the same position was reposted a week later.

Interview Questions

• Fibonacci, priority queueing, string rotation, system architecture, team and management experience.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SolarCity.

Interview

not a very tough interview. applied online then got a call from recruiter then went on site. interviewed with a few engineers, most of them hasn't been an engineer for very long.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at SolarCity (San Francisco, CA (US)) in June 2015.

Interview

Pretty quick interview process overall. After reaching out to a recruiter, I was flown out for an interview the following week and received the job offer the very next day! The interview itself was 5 back to back interviews in person in the office. It consisted of a mix of technical and behavioral questions and allowed me to get to know some of my future teammates and the hiring manager to make sure we were a good fit.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Was offered more than original asking for so didn't bother to negotiate.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at SolarCity (Fremont, CA (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

telephonic and face to face
    I had a interview one to one and initially had a telephonic interview and recruiter contacted to provide good news and offer letter and information about the back ground check process

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at SolarCity in April 2014.

Interview

After passing an online test, they had me come in for a few 1:1 interviews with about 4-5 people. Interviews with people were in 30 minute slots and many asked the same questions about recent projects.

Interview Questions

• Scheduled people were switched out a lot so preparation was moot. Questions were normal though there wasn't much time as the technical interviewer arrived late.   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.